Moog goes Eurorack:Satan complains of sudden chill Mother-32

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:29 pm

Assuming you have the case and power sorted they should work just fine. Have fun and go nuts.

Edit: in fact, it looks like the LFOs go +/-5V, which is exactly what Mom wants with a knob at center, so in theory you can get full range of travel.

Logprimo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logprimo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:49 am

Thank you.

but if the LFO values were different, how would that affect the setup? Would you need something to adjust the values?

I suppose I'm wondering if ALL modules in eurorack will automatically work together. Or if there are do's and don't, in regards to what you can patch into.

Quite honestly, I feel brain damaged trying to understand all the variables in the modular world.

Cheers

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:04 am

Some modules will give you a positive LFO only which is useful when you want to add changes to a base value instead of modulating around it-- you have a pitch and you want to add trills above it for example but don't want to go below that initial pitch

Flohr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flohr » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:45 am

Logprimo the best way to control cv amounts and where those cvs have their effect is an attenuator/attenuvertor and offset module. Maths, Shades, TriAtt, there are many options. Do some searches on attenuation and offset and you'll find many good threads on the subject.

Logprimo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logprimo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:15 pm

Cheers guys.

I'll get searching.

Djumpmonkey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Djumpmonkey » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:04 pm

For messing with CV's and more, I love Blinds. It does Attenuation, Offset, Inversion, plus Ringmod, Mixing and VCA duties. It can be a tad touchy zeroing that pots (when that is needed) but I wouldn't go without it.
pichenettes wrote:There's something wrong about this world in which Clouds sells 5x more than Tides.

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:30 pm

Blinds owns so hard. Put Mom's square out as the input, mod via the saw out and bam -- instant square suboctave (or more precisely saw superoctave).

(Edit: on second thought this only works with a sine as the first input. Should get something similar anyway since they're at the same frequency)

jaerrod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jaerrod » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Okay, so forgive me for being a noob (yet again)

But I just bought a pittsburgh ADSR to compliment my m32s rather short EG because I mostly play my modular with a midi keyboard. I patched the Gate out of the m32 to the IN of the ADSR and out of ADSR into m32 VCA CV.

The problem is that I'm getting a double envelope, which to my research is because the VCA CV in is summed with the onboard EG, correct??

So how I could I go around that?

I read somewhere on here (and now can't find it) about finding the sweet spot between VCA ON and EG that is kinda like a dummy spot in the switch, therefore turning OFF the EG, buuuut its super finicky and often at times I hear the VCA being triggered ON veeeery quietly in the background. I also play live a lot and if the switch got triggered one way or the other my modular volume almost doubles because of the two envelopes its going through, so its a temporary fix at best.

The only real option I can think of is taking the waveform outs and sending them into my ADSR, then then from my ADSR to an external VCA, but they I'd need an external filter to get away from the coupled EG... :despair:

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:06 pm

Two options.

One is to run the external E.G. Through an attenuator/offset module such as Blinds, and drop it down 5 volts before sending it. If you have a Disting, the precision adder (bank 1 mode 1a) can do this.

Another is as you say, use an external VCA. But instead of taking the final out, use the VCF Out. This will get around hitting the switch on accident.

rove74
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rove74 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:58 pm

dumbledog wrote:
Another is as you say, use an external VCA. But instead of taking the final out, use the VCF Out. This will get around hitting the switch on accident.
With this option you can use the mixer in the mother 32 as a vca, no need for an external.

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:40 pm

Oh that's a good point. Mine is always in use :doh:

Seriously Moog's next Eurorack project could be like 30HP of just those crossfaders and I'd probably bite.

jaerrod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jaerrod » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:52 pm

Okay please forgive my ignorance.

I have my VCO saw into my mix 2, adsr out to vc mix ctrl, gate into adsr, vc mix into ext. audio, and finally out via my VCA- to regain my filter. With Ext Audio all the way clockwise and VC mix counter clockwise I am producing what I'm pretty sure is correct.

Now, I usually used my ext. audio in to add a second VCO to my m32, so I figured if I added it to my Mix 1 the VC mix knob may act as a crossfader. I was wrong or I'm not doing something right because when I plug in a wave from the second oscillator it just starts a latched pitch. :hmm:

EDIT: Also, if I went the route of running the EG through an attenuator/offset module, would Blinds do it-or would it invert the signal instead of silencing it?
I am thinking that is my best course of action so I'm figuring out my best option/module for my setup.

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:40 pm

You want to take the VCF Out into Mix 2, your ADSRVCA into the mix CV, and just take the Mix out as the actual output of the synth (i.e. To your DAW or whatever). You still plug the saw out into the external audio, if that's what you want to do.

stylesforfree
Common Wiggler

Post by stylesforfree » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:40 pm

Anyone put the lin fm to good use yet on the mother? Im struggling to get a good sound out of it.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:44 am

I usually put it through the VC mix/Mix 2 (acting like a VCA) so I can choose the amount of modulation

nashsnazzy
Common Wiggler

Post by nashsnazzy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:01 pm

Does anyone know where I can get more of the screws and sliding nuts for the Mother 32 case?
Cheers

esmeets
Ultra Wiggler

Post by esmeets » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi,

is it easy to get the Mother 32 out of his original case and into an other (bigger) case? do I need a special screwdriver and/or flatcable?

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:49 pm

esmeets wrote:Hi,

is it easy to get the Mother 32 out of his original case and into an other (bigger) case? do I need a special screwdriver and/or flatcable?
I'm 99% certain Nick Batt takes it out of the case and shows you in the Sonic State video review -- looks like a regular screwdriver will do the trick.

keyofsalvador
Common Wiggler

Post by keyofsalvador » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:42 pm

It's easy to remove from its case, you just need a Phillips screwdriver. It uses normal m3 "eurorack" screws. You do need a 10-pin to 16-pin power cable to get power from a different case, though. It doesn't come with one, but they are easily found online and aren't expensive.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:49 pm

For those interested in spreading their Mother-32s sound palette – here is a great article and video demonstrating the use of waveform animation with the help of Super Sawtor:
http://learningmodular.com/second-oscil ... -animator/
[video][/video]

ids
Learning to Wiggle

Mother-32 block diagram

Post by ids » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:49 am

There's a block diagram of the Mother-32 in the manual, but I found that it didn't help me understand all the patching options. I put together this bigger one to help me figure out what's going on. I thought that it might be useful to someone else, so here it is.

I've used solid lines where audio is expected, dotted lines where control signals are expected, and red indicates the connections that you get by default. If you spot any bugs in it, let me know - happy to fix and re-release.

I've made a PDF for printing - you can get that or the original Omnigraffle file here if required.

Update: have added MIDI IN, as it's pretty simple really.
Last edited by ids on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

lazertron
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lazertron » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:24 pm

Thanks a lot, this will surely help newbies like myself to better understand the patching options.

kenosis
Common Wiggler

Post by kenosis » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:31 pm

This is an awesome breakdown. I keep trying to go to the PDF link, but it seems dead. Links to a blank page.

ids
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ids » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:00 pm

kenosis wrote:This is an awesome breakdown. I keep trying to go to the PDF link, but it seems dead. Links to a blank page.
Sorry about that - it seems to work fine for me. I'm not sure what to suggest - perhaps try a different browser?

motwell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by motwell » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:49 am

PDF link worked for me - Android tablet using Chrome browser.

ids thanks for putting this together! Some very instructive info in there. I'm glad to see your viewpoint on the patching, actually shows me a few things I'd overlooked.

That said, you might want to take another look at the "Assign" out jack. Yes, the first 9 output source selections are sequencer-derived, but the other 7 are MIDI-derived. The MIDI to CV converter might deserve a place on your map. (although i get that lumping them all under the sequencer is a lot cleaner, map-wise.)

Thanks again for putting this together, i think it's a helpful view of the patch bay!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”