Moog goes Eurorack:Satan complains of sudden chill Mother-32

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ids
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ids » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:48 am

motwell wrote:The MIDI to CV converter might deserve a place on your map. (although i get that lumping them all under the sequencer is a lot cleaner, map-wise.)
I've added it, in a bit of a cop-out way, which is to just add the connector on the outside, and explicitly added it to the ever growing "Sequencer etc." box. At least that recognises its existence, and gives an idea how it relates to the other stuff.

tesserack
Common Wiggler

Post by tesserack » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:23 am

Hello,been reading the forum for awhile now looking for some learning.

I wound up buying a mother 32, but sent it back after the demo period was up.

It sounded nice, however a new old stock mini moog voyager rme became available at Detroit Modular for a .great price, so I went with that right before I almost purchases two more mothers.

I read the advice here, and went with the presets and memory over the constant repatching.

While I had the mother, i could see the value of cv control,over midi control. Cv feels more organic, so the plan is to add on the vx351 and 352 someday.

I also read about the Analogue Solutions RS35 and plan to add that to trigger both the mini moog and my moog slim phatty rack synth because my guitar pitch to midi then midi to cv is so slow.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice here. :yay:

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:18 am

Hey fellow M32 owners, I got a question for you. I am using the M32 with an external Midi Sequencer (Elektron Digitakt right now). This sequencer sends messages to other gear as well, so I need to transmit transport infos (start and stop). Problem is when M32 receives a START signal it starts its own sequencer too.
So if the M32 sequencer is located on a saved sequence it'll start play this sequence on top of the incoming Midi sequence. Not cool.

So then I thought let's use an empty slot where no sequence is saved. But then it starts to repeat a note as if you'd like to create a sequence. Not cool.

So then what? I told myself "let's create a one step sequence that would not be a note but a silence (rest)". But then it also silences the incoming MIDI notes, so nothing is played. Not cool.

WHAT TO DO?

Thanks for your help!

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:17 pm

Can you put something like an iconnectivity midi hub in the midi signal path and filter out the start/ stop messages?
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:52 am

Armstrb wrote:Can you put something like an iconnectivity midi hub in the midi signal path and filter out the start/ stop messages?
Thanks for this tip, right now I don't have such a hub (I use a 1 midi in > 3 midi thru), so I'd rather have a simpler solution.

keyofsalvador
Common Wiggler

Post by keyofsalvador » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:59 am

I run into a similar problem with my Mother 32 and MainStage, and filtering out the midi clock info does solve this problem. However, this prevents me from using the onboard sequencer most of the time, since it won't be in sync in this situation. Unfortunate, because it's such a great sequencer, especially for performing!

Now, whenever I do want to incorporate the sequencer, I just make sure I hit Stop on the Mother 32 whenever I start the song. It's another step to remember, but it does give you back all the functionality of mom. It's a free solution as well, other than the cost of brain power and maybe a Post-It note to remind yourself.

pulse_divider

Post by pulse_divider » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:03 am

Could you patch a dummy plug or unconnected cable into the sequencer clock input to interrupt it?

keyofsalvador
Common Wiggler

Post by keyofsalvador » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:49 pm

Could you patch a dummy plug or unconnected cable into the sequencer clock input to interrupt it?
Finally got a chance to try this, and unfortunately no, a dummy cable doesn't have any effect. I tried Tempo, Run/Stop, Reset, and Hold, all to no avail.

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:45 am

keyofsalvador wrote:
Finally got a chance to try this, and unfortunately no, a dummy cable doesn't have any effect. I tried Tempo, Run/Stop, Reset, and Hold, all to no avail.
Didn't have a chance to try anything yet, sorry to hear those ideas are not working. I can't understand why it would not be possible in one way or another though, there MUST be a solution :bang:

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:00 pm

I think the idea behind the midi in is to receive midi notes from a midi keyboard only or clock from an external device, either one or the other not the two at the same time. One of the few idiosyncracies of the mother 32, poor design in my opinion

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Hey, here's a thought, though I haven't run across this problem yet; here are the MIDI commands Mother receives:
MIDI SYSTEM REAL TIME MESSAGES

MIDI CLOCK MESSAGES: When the Mother-32 detects a MIDI Clock signal, the Tempo LED blinks green at the detected tempo and the panel TEMPO control becomes a clock divider. After MIDI clock messages cease to be received, the internal clock can be restarted by pressing the RUN/STOP button.

MIDI START: A MIDI Start message runs the pattern from Step 1.

MIDI STOP: A MIDI Stop message stops the pattern on the last active step.

MIDI CONTINUE: A MIDI Continue message will start the pattern on the next active step
Can you turn off that MIDI start message at the source so it isn't transmitted to the Mother, or would that mess up your notes? Just a WAG.

keyofsalvador
Common Wiggler

Post by keyofsalvador » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:07 pm

In Logic or MainStage, there doesn't seem to be a way to send midi clock while Not sending a midi start message. Other DAW's may be able to do this, but I don't know. I'd love to be proven wrong about Logic, but I haven't found a way around this yet.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Bummer.

Explosives can fix nearly any problem I'm told.

Oblivion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Oblivion » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:14 pm

keyofsalvador wrote:In Logic or MainStage, there doesn't seem to be a way to send midi clock while Not sending a midi start message. Other DAW's may be able to do this, but I don't know. I'd love to be proven wrong about Logic, but I haven't found a way around this yet.
On a Mac, you could use MidiPipe to filter out the Start/Stop/Continue messages between DAW and MIDI Out. I don't have Logic, nor a Mom32, but I tested it with Reaper and my Beatstep Pro. Of course anything else downstream would miss the S/S/C messages as well.
Perpetual n00b.
Budding Phonogeneticist.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:13 am

Dual osc Mother-32 patch. I'm using the Intellijel Quad VCA gain boost to compensate for lost low end when the filter resonance is turned up.

[video][/video]

Edit: Uploaded a better version.
Last edited by NoLegs on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antlerface
Common Wiggler

Post by Antlerface » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:22 pm

NoLegs wrote:Dual osc Mother-32 patch. I'm using the Intellijel Quad VCA gain boost to compensate for lost low end when the filter resonance is turned up.

[video][/video]
very cool stuff, thanks for that.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:31 pm

Antlerface wrote: very cool stuff, thanks for that.
Thanks! I see a lot of solo Mother-32 stuff, but not so much integrated into a larger system, so I wanted to share.

spukhaft
Common Wiggler

Post by spukhaft » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Trying to understand the issue when using an external sequencer.

If you have an empty sequence on the M32, and you start an external sequencer that is feeding it notes, nothing plays? If you manually stop the onboard sequencer while the external sequencer is running, will it then produce notes?

In short, if you can't (or don't want to) filter out stop/start message from your external sequencer, you can't use the M32 as a sound module, correct?

Gordon Cole
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gordon Cole » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:47 pm

High Wolf wrote:Hey fellow M32 owners, I got a question for you. I am using the M32 with an external Midi Sequencer (Elektron Digitakt right now).

Thanks for your help!
I don't think there is really a good workaround with the Digitakt, since it only has clock on or off (with transport bundled in) - pressing play will always activate M32's sequencer if you have clock activated on the Digitakt.
Last edited by Gordon Cole on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon Cole
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gordon Cole » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Something I noticed while sequencing the M32 sometimes it would seem like it was actually responding to velocity levels

I figured out why -

You need to stop the M32 sequencer, and then put it into the edit mode for an individual step [shift]+[step number]

When the M32 is hanging in this state, waiting for you to work on step information it responds properly to incoming MIDI velocity and accents above threshold
Last edited by Gordon Cole on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon Cole
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gordon Cole » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:31 pm

One more thing I noticed - when controlling MIDI cc 1 (mod wheel) from the [ASSIGN] output - make sure you have your midi data centered at 63 before you start to work - the assign out is spitting out -/+ 5 instead of 0 to +10 which leads to strange behaviour - a modwheel usually starts at 0 and opens to full data. But here if you have the modwheel at 0, then plug the assign into a destination, you will for example, open up the filter. The wheel needs to be half open to have no effect, and then can be pulled down or up.
Last edited by Gordon Cole on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

deltaAquarii
Common Wiggler

Post by deltaAquarii » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:55 am

hey!

when i sequence the mother through midi from ableton, and i deactivate start stop so the sequencer of the mother doesnt start, i dont get a clock out from the assignable output. it only gives me a clock when the internal sequencer runs.

is there a way to get the midi clock from ableton through assign out, without having mothers sequencer playing?!

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:57 am

Gordon Cole wrote:
High Wolf wrote: I am using the M32 with an external Midi Sequencer (Elektron Digitakt right now)
Check this one out though - I noticed when using the Digitakt sometimes it would seem like the M32 was actually responding to velocity levels (the accent would trigger once velocity was above a certain threshold).

I figured out why -

You need to stop the M32 sequencer, and then put it into the edit mode for an individual step [shift]+[step number]

When the M32 is hanging in this state, waiting for you to work on step information it responds properly to incoming MIDI velocity!

I am both glad I figured this out and further perplexed by Moog implementing such a handicapped way of working on this synth. Bad enough you can't decouple the sequencer from pitch, but you can't even use external MIDI properly unless using this weird work around.

Maybe they can fix it in a firmware update, but I doubt it. Have the same love/hate thing happening as the last time I bought this ha ha ha.
Good one! I'll try that.

deltaAquarii
Common Wiggler

Post by deltaAquarii » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:46 am

deltaAquarii wrote:hey!

when i sequence the mother through midi from ableton, and i deactivate start stop so the sequencer of the mother doesnt start, i dont get a clock out from the assignable output. it only gives me a clock when the internal sequencer runs.

is there a way to get the midi clock from ableton through assign out, without having mothers sequencer playing?!
sadly moogs tech support said its NOT possible to get a clock through the assign out without having the internal sequencer running. SUCKs bigtime imo......

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Short synth pop jam tonight with a M32 on bass and one on lead.

[video][/video]

Return to “Eurorack Modules”