Verbos ATC as LPG?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Verbos ATC as LPG?

Post by echoplex » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:52 pm

anybody here using his/her verbos ATC as a lo pass gate?
how does it sound compared to a optomox for example?
and further what do you mainly use it for?
plain VCA purposes? filtering..?
just asking because I am about to pull the trigger on this .. :hmm:

vailsy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vailsy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:50 pm

I prefer exponential curves on vcas so I've been using that input by default since I bought the module, as far as I can tell (I've not had it long) that input is normalled to the freq cv so I've been using the vca/lpg combo mode the whole time

I've not paid attention because since I got it I've been completely blown away with the colouration that the module provides so I've been using it as a vca and enjoying the filter and resonance manipulation.. simple 4 step sequences can sound totally different with evolving accents by barely touching the pots. it's difficult to use it as a straight vca really because manipulating it is so much fun and what it is named for. sounds great with the wmd pdo in particular I've found

I owned an optomix before and didn't gel with it, it's not in the same ball park as the atc in my opinion which you know already I would guess. I say pull that trigger

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by echoplex » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:12 am

would be glad to hear some demos as lpg

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:35 am

echoplex wrote:would be glad to hear some demos as lpg
Check the 'verbos patches' example in my soundcloud for typical bongo examples.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

a loose reference

pbanken
Common Wiggler

Post by pbanken » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:24 am

Hey there!

Simple advice: Go for it, as vailsy said there are very few modules which can do what the ATC can do with such an amount of style & character.

Mr Verbos himself said that the module was often misunderstood by users who expected a "simple" bread & butter VCA. Some were angry because they didn't grasp its possibilities and probably because they were not expecting such a strong (sound) character, and my explanation would be this ....

In the age of computers and VSTs and bad monitoring, a lot of folks only "know" / utilize two, maybe three, settings for their virtual instruments. Full off, full on, somewhere in between, one sweet spot.

Very few people take the time to explore the full width / length of a dial being turned. That is difficult when you only use a mouse to operate your DAW. On/off, and this is where the problem lies when using the ATC.

There are so many different settings to explore, and there are so many possibilities to check out, but you HAVE to take your time to get used to the module (same as all the Verbos modules, I would say).

Verbos coming from the Buchla universe took that mindset, to explore very tiny changes within the hardware settings and their huge consequences for the sound, to his Euro line up. (Somewhere in the Buchla forum someone mentioned that the reason for Buchla's knobs being so fragile would be the Don's (hehe) intent to give musicians the power to explore WIDE sonic areas with very delicate handling of the modules.)

Personally, I own many LPGs, I love them all for different reasons, but in a scenario like "house-on-fire", I'd grab the ATC. For its unique and great sound and its bonkers CV-possibilities.

It just breathes style and substance, and will inspire you, no doubt.

Hope that helped, p.
"Son of a bitch, I'm sick of these dolphins."

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by echoplex » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:08 pm

pbanken wrote:Hey there!

Simple advice: Go for it, as vailsy said there are very few modules which can do what the ATC can do with such an amount of style & character.

Mr Verbos himself said that the module was often misunderstood by users who expected a "simple" bread & butter VCA. Some were angry because they didn't grasp its possibilities and probably because they were not expecting such a strong (sound) character, and my explanation would be this ....

In the age of computers and VSTs and bad monitoring, a lot of folks only "know" / utilize two, maybe three, settings for their virtual instruments. Full off, full on, somewhere in between, one sweet spot.

Very few people take the time to explore the full width / length of a dial being turned. That is difficult when you only use a mouse to operate your DAW. On/off, and this is where the problem lies when using the ATC.

There are so many different settings to explore, and there are so many possibilities to check out, but you HAVE to take your time to get used to the module (same as all the Verbos modules, I would say).

Verbos coming from the Buchla universe took that mindset, to explore very tiny changes within the hardware settings and their huge consequences for the sound, to his Euro line up. (Somewhere in the Buchla forum someone mentioned that the reason for Buchla's knobs being so fragile would be the Don's (hehe) intent to give musicians the power to explore WIDE sonic areas with very delicate handling of the modules.)

Personally, I own many LPGs, I love them all for different reasons, but in a scenario like "house-on-fire", I'd grab the ATC. For its unique and great sound and its bonkers CV-possibilities.

It just breathes style and substance, and will inspire you, no doubt.

Hope that helped, p.
oh yes that help .. shit bro .. that was one of these post that made me order an ATC immediately .. haha no okay, first I will see if I can find a used one first and then order it in a week.

also the sound samples of the ATC in LPG mode sound from mritenburg sound amazing ..
further I am excited to have an expiring and characterful filter next to my cwejman mmf-1
and I like deep modules that need to be investigated on .. :tu:
thanks guys

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:21 pm

how do you patch the ATC as low pass gate?

vailsy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vailsy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:42 pm

patching into the exponential input sends the envelope to the vca and vcf (lpg) so you get the same envelope working on both, you could have each cv pot positioned differently though to vary the behaviour of each

patching only into the vcf breaks the normal with the exponential in so you can use a different envelope on the vca and vcf

I only got into this part of the module after reading this post, so this thread arrived at the right time

I might post an audio snippet later, although it sounds like echoplex is already convinced

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:45 pm

Will the vcf/vcf ping with just a trigger like other lpgs, or do you have to always use an envelope?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: CV.OCD / Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels

vailsy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vailsy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:53 pm

I didn`t try this yet, although I would guess so. i`ll post the results later if your question hasn`t been answered already..

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by echoplex » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:05 pm

vailsy wrote:I didn`t try this yet, although I would guess so. i`ll post the results later if your question hasn`t been answered already..
a little quick demo of the sound would be charming tho :tu:

pbanken
Common Wiggler

Post by pbanken » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:38 pm

echolpex, before fall starts to freeze good ol' Cologne down, grab a quick bite and a hot coffee at your local Rathenau Park for me, okay? I used to live right next to it (Boisereestraße), and I miss my old hometown a LOT!

And speaking of filters ... Not my video, but I guess it brings the message across: "When it comes to Verbos, you want to have it all!"

All the best, p.

patilon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by patilon » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:58 pm

further I am excited to have an expiring and characterful filter next to my cwejman mmf-1 and I like deep modules that need to be investigated on .. thumbs up
the last months i tended to sit more in front of my mono-synths rather than switching on my system and patching.. thought about it critically and my conclusion was that with my system i miss this old sometimes unpredictable character. the solution -> bought an atc and dual four pole and am totally happy! a little bit too wasteful with the space it takes up in my rack,
but it brings lots of character into it :banana:

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by echoplex » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:51 pm

pbanken wrote:echolpex, before fall starts to freeze good ol' Cologne down, grab a quick bite and a hot coffee at your local Rathenau Park for me, okay? I used to live right next to it (Boisereestraße), and I miss my old hometown a LOT!
if you're in town again, lemmie know, we can have a coffee and modular talk at cafe schmitz :guinness: or also rathenau park

vailsy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vailsy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:13 am

echoplex wrote:
vailsy wrote:I didn`t try this yet, although I would guess so. i`ll post the results later if your question hasn`t been answered already..
a little quick demo of the sound would be charming tho :tu:
ok the answer is yes it can be pinged, and here is the atc getting a proper ping grilling:

ATC PDO FUN

this is for demonstration only.. flipping between pinging the vcf (as requested above) with trigger riot and some pieces pulling out the filter trigger and normalling the vcf with the exp cv input envelope which shows the vcf and vca working in unison

i tweaked the pdo waveform once or twice and also change the pulse width of the trigger from the riot gradually reducing it from 100 over the duration, otherwise it's all the atc (minus some slight reverb and one part with delay)

you can hear the noise as the patch cable is touching the input, which I did intentionally to let you know when I'm about to plug the cable in and ping the vcf again (yep and if you believe that you'll believe anything)

..hopefully there are a few moments that show some of the sonic potential of the module. It's nutty and lots of fun

ethnotronics
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ethnotronics » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:24 am

mritenburg wrote:
I really like your demos! :sb: :sb: :sb:

Could you tell the details of that patch?

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by echoplex » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:19 pm

ATC has been ordered today from escape .. !
thanks guys for getting me losing control over my financial situation :oops:

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:55 pm

:yay:
Last edited by FatRocky on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slirak
Common Wiggler

Post by slirak » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:06 pm

echoplex wrote:ATC has been ordered today from escape .. !
thanks guys for getting me losing control over my financial situation :oops:
And my wallet thanks you for buying it! I was just debating if I should get a second one from Escape From Noise, but apparently, you got the last one in their stock. :tu:

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:24 am

ethnotronics wrote:
mritenburg wrote:
I really like your demos! :sb: :sb: :sb:

Could you tell the details of that patch?
It's fairly simple. Start with the following settings:

Input 50%
Cutoff 25-30%
Resonance 0
Amplitude 0

The trick in my example is using an ultra-expo envelope from a Maths v2. The verbos envelope was not available when I made that recording.

Just tweak the cutoff, amplitude and envelope decay settings until you get the sound you like. It's very helpful to have another LPG on hand for reference. I compared to an optomix when I was making that patch.

a loose reference

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by echoplex » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:28 pm

mritenburg wrote:

Input 50%
Cutoff 25-30%
Resonance 0
Amplitude 0

The trick in my example is using an ultra-expo envelope from a Maths v2. The verbos envelope was not available when I made that recording.

Just tweak the cutoff, amplitude and envelope decay settings until you get the sound you like. It's very helpful to have another LPG on hand for reference. I compared to an optomix when I was making that patch.
but what you describe can be archieved with any filter .. I don't need an LPG for that .. the special things about LPGs is that they ring with a trigger in put .. a short envelope into the CV input of course will bring similiar results..

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:58 pm

echoplex wrote:
mritenburg wrote:

Input 50%
Cutoff 25-30%
Resonance 0
Amplitude 0

but what you describe can be archieved with any filter .. I don't need an LPG for that .. the special things about LPGs is that they ring with a trigger in put .. a short envelope into the CV input of course will bring similiar results..
I'm not sure I understand the distinction you are trying to make. I was asked to describe how I patched the ATC to produce the classic LPG sounds in my recorded example.

a loose reference

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by echoplex » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:44 pm

okay guys, my ATC arrived this morning ..
I don't know what I can say :woah: this modules not only sounds and looks awesome but in its way it is designed it is super inspiring and CV'd with some rhythmical envelopes it is also very musical ..
you didn't promised too much .. :tu:

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:53 pm

mritenburg wrote:
echoplex wrote:
mritenburg wrote:

Input 50%
Cutoff 25-30%
Resonance 0
Amplitude 0

I'm not sure I understand the distinction you are trying to make. I was asked to describe how I patched the ATC to produce the classic LPG sounds in my recorded example.
i think he understood - thanks for the descriptions for others anyways....

i might pick one of these up again as when isold it i said to myself i would......its a super nice sounding module - Tone controller is right....

The ATC some very nice "Acid" type sounds.....make sure to try the arp exp/lin patch :)
look up!

pbanken
Common Wiggler

Post by pbanken » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:09 pm

Concerning the good looks of this modules ...

Now, while I never understood the desire to get Greyscale panels for, let's say, a MATHS, I instantly thought about the possibility to Verbos-erize some Doepfer utility modules. Think about it for a second ...

Verbos' modules cover a lot of ground, but some things / tools / functions are missing in case you want to focus on one company and its looks.

Now, imagine a little travelling case with all the Verbos modules you desire, plus, for example, a Verbos-erized Voltage Inverter, S&H, Trigger Delay, or even a MATHS.

:zen:

And while the lack of current updates and news on the Scan & Pan threaten my Zen level seriously, I know I will think about the Verboserization of my little set up while trying to fall asleep tonight ...

Cheers!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”