Verbos ATC as LPG?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:16 pm

pbanken wrote:Concerning the good looks of this modules ...

Now, while I never understood the desire to get Greyscale panels for, let's say, a MATHS, I instantly thought about the possibility to Verbos-erize some Doepfer utility modules. Think about it for a second ...

Verbos' modules cover a lot of ground, but some things / tools / functions are missing in case you want to focus on one company and its looks.

Now, imagine a little travelling case with all the Verbos modules you desire, plus, for example, a Verbos-erized Voltage Inverter, S&H, Trigger Delay, or even a MATHS.

:zen:

And while the lack of current updates and news on the Scan & Pan threaten my Zen level seriously, I know I will think about the Verboserization of my little set up while trying to fall asleep tonight ...

Cheers!
My fave thing with the HO s the harmonic scan - so im pretty keen to check out the scan & pan especially as its supposed to be one of his cheapest modules :)
Verbos-ing - do you mean cosmetically?that woudnt work and its about the Buchla "build from the panel backwards" vibe.....honestly if your realy into that Buchla/euro thing a Verbos/Sputnik case is where its at - Sputnik have a HUGE range comin...

And greyscale - ive actually learnt a few functions i didnt from Greyscale panels....really worthwhile for some modules......
look up!

InnnerSight
Wiggling with Experience

Post by InnnerSight » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:19 am

I was having a play around with the ATC and found these settings got me into the bongo style LPG territory. I'm passing a gate signal into the Exp input - so its similar to the Optomix strike.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:11 am

Thanks ! I will try this as soon as I get back to my modular. The ATC is a joy to use.

richc90
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by richc90 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:38 am

Have to agree with the general sentiment here: the ATC is beautiful. I've not had my mine for very long, but the spacious panel design and layout really facilitates my enjoyment of patching with it, largely because there is a decrease in cognitive load compared to some more feature-packed modules. I know that Mark's approach for his module designs is to start with the panel and work back from there, and I think it really shows in terms of the usability of the modules.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:51 am

Would really love to hear examples of this working as a lpg. None of the youtube demos really attempt it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels

InnnerSight
Wiggling with Experience

Post by InnnerSight » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:44 pm

exper wrote:Would really love to hear examples of this working as a lpg. None of the youtube demos really attempt it.
If I get chance tonight I will record some tonight. Its about time I gave a bit more back to this great forum.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:04 pm

InnnerSight wrote:
exper wrote:Would really love to hear examples of this working as a lpg. None of the youtube demos really attempt it.
If I get chance tonight I will record some tonight. Its about time I gave a bit more back to this great forum.
That'd be great, thanks!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

InnnerSight
Wiggling with Experience

Post by InnnerSight » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:06 pm

A bit rough but short on time.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/311060606" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/311060782" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:59 pm

InnnerSight wrote:A bit rough but short on time.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/311060606" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/311060782" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Nice, thanks for that. I like that it sounds like it is on the shorter side. Too many LPG ring too long IMO. What is the Cv/trigger input? An envelope or just trigger?

InnnerSight
Wiggling with Experience

Post by InnnerSight » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:21 pm

exper wrote:
InnnerSight wrote:A bit rough but short on time.

Nice, thanks for that. I like that it sounds like it is on the shorter side. Too many LPG ring too long IMO. What is the Cv/trigger input? An envelope or just trigger?
Its a trigger straight into the exp cv input.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:21 pm

I've had mine out of the case for a while. might be time to put it back in.

I love the distortion you can get with the input gain, but I wish either you could VC it or that the output stage clipped/distorted a bit at full volume.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:33 pm

Voggg wrote:I've had mine out of the case for a while. might be time to put it back in.

I love the distortion you can get with the input gain, but I wish either you could VC it or that the output stage clipped/distorted a bit at full volume.
Crank up the input to full but put a VCA in the signal path before the ATC. That way you can voltage control the distortion. An ultra-clean and transparent VCA is the best bet if you don't want to change the character of the ATC.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

a loose reference

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:11 am

It's my only VCA in my small system at the moment but the fuzzbox effect you get from the gain is soooo lovely. I too sometimes wish it were controllable so I guess I'm off to buy another (clean) VCA.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:46 am

Does it play really well with the scan and pan

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:15 am

**edit ** nevermind

monoscan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by monoscan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:00 am

Thought I commented on this thread already, but I'm forever thankful to Detroit Modular. They won my business forever when they listened to my interests and goals musically, then suggested the A&TC. This is totally a part of every patch I make, and finding different ways to modulate its inputs is always interesting sounding to me.

Anyone on the fence...just get it. It sounds awesome, it makes sounds I never imagined it'd do...it's cool.

turin horsey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by turin horsey » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:40 pm

+1 on praise for ATC, I bought it somewhat hesitantly on sale last year and it's become one of my favorite modules. Definitely not a vanilla lpf, tons of character, interesting interactions with the VCA component and resonance can get nice and squelchy. :party:

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:52 pm

I love the ATC as a filter, especially how the gain and resonance work against one another.

As an LPG I find it too short and dry. It works but I prefer the LXd.

pyjamarama
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pyjamarama » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:20 pm

no shortage of love for ATC here. as a LPG however, I find it can be on the finicky side. this is purely down to the range of options at your disposal though.

normally when I set up a LPG I'll send source audio to the input, patch a nice sharp env to the VCA CV and I'm done.

but because the ATC has it's exp amp CV normaled to a filter cut off that has its own variable CV, you can often run into unwanted short filter sweeps that are following the envelopes to the amp CV. certainly when the res pot is past 12o'clock.

also the filter freq CV reacts dynamically to it's pot position regardless of whether or not you are applying CV to it. so you need to position it to taste in relation to both the exp in and the cut off position.

lastly, the exp CV will affect the sound differently when reversed against the position of the main amp pot. experimentation with the main amp position against the exp CV position is therefore an additional factor to consider.

in short this thing is a pain in the arse. it's also my favorite VCA by a stretch at the same time.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:38 pm

I just tried to use the ATC as final VCA in the chain, running all the modular (6U, no drums) into it for "warming" (although with signals coming from an ultrafold and MMF6 it didn't need that much more warmth, but still) and then using the handy linear attenuverter to invert an enveloppe from a quadra triggered at the same time as the kick in the Digitakt to create a ducking effect for a simple side chain effect. Quadra allows for a relatively fine control of the ducking effect. Works well enough !

It doesn't suppress my GAS for an endofchain unit ala Analog Heat or Bugbrang compressor or some thing (Strymon Deco ?) but it's pretty cool for the time being ! Plus un have a master filter sounding delicious as always :)
Last edited by Tumulishroomaroom on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:38 pm

guys thanks for all those inputs! Tomorrow I'll be able to test this wonderful piece and this thread gave me a good direction where to start. Love you all!

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:13 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:I just tried to use the ATC as final VCA in the chain, running all the modular (6U, no drums) into it for "warming" (although with signals coming from an ultrafold and MMF6 it didn't need that much more warmth, but still) and then using the handy linear attenuverter to invert an enveloppe from a quadra triggered at the same time as the kick in the Digitakt to create a ducking effect for a simple side chain effect. Quadra allows for a relatively fine control of the ducking effect. Works well enough !

It doesn't suppress my GAS for an endofchain unit ala Analog Heat or Bugbrang compressor or some thing (Strymon Deco ?) but it's pretty cool for the time being ! Plus un have a master filter sounding delicious as always :)
If anyone interested here's the result of this experiment :
http://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/atc-sidechain

The ATC is last in the modular chain. I'm really in love with the sound of that filter !

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:43 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:I just tried to use the ATC as final VCA in the chain, running all the modular (6U, no drums) into it for "warming" (although with signals coming from an ultrafold and MMF6 it didn't need that much more warmth, but still) and then using the handy linear attenuverter to invert an enveloppe from a quadra triggered at the same time as the kick in the Digitakt to create a ducking effect for a simple side chain effect. Quadra allows for a relatively fine control of the ducking effect. Works well enough !

If anyone interested here's the result of this experiment :

The ATC is last in the modular chain. I'm really in love with the sound of that filter !
Sound brilliant! Thanks for sharing :sb:

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Thank you very much ! It means a lot as it's the first tune I've ever put out on Soundcloud for other to listen...

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote: If anyone interested here's the result of this experiment :

I love your sound! Thanks for sharing this! :tu: :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar: :tu:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”