Cwejman RES-4 individual outputs mod

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:38 am

Navs wrote:
listentoaheartbeat wrote:blablabla
Stop posting here and finish that mod so we can hear what it sounds like! :lol:
Patience, Navs! :)

Parts are on their way, I've used up all my TL072s to fix my TWF for a gig on Saturday after I miraculously smoked a bunch of TL062s on it.. :woah:

macumbista
Common Wiggler

Post by macumbista » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:58 am

Navs wrote:
I figured of all people you'd be pretty keen on this one, Navs!
Esoteric drones and nonlinear distortion
Custom, handmade experimental instruments
http://macumbista.net

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:30 pm

macumbista wrote:
Navs wrote:
Yes, I am surprised it took him so long.. :)

Summa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Summa » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:53 pm

listentoaheartbeat wrote:
macumbista wrote:
Navs wrote:
Yes, I am surprised it took him so long.. :)
I must admit that one of Navs RES-4 explorations/demos convinced me that I needed one, I use it in pretty much all my patches since I got it a couple of years ago.

GryphonP3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:41 pm

I'd be in for this mod on my res-4 :hyper: would really take this module to a new level
My cat can eat a whole watermelon ...

macumbista
Common Wiggler

Post by macumbista » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:10 am

[EDIT: changed deadline to 15 MAR 2016, added individual attenuators to the breakout panel, changed breakout panel size to accommodate the attenuators 22 FEB 2016].

Hi folks, thanks to everyone who has followed this thread so far. I am currently taking reservations to do this modification at my studio in Berlin. The modification will include the following:

1) Four independent outputs from the RES-4 sent to daughter board

2) Four buffered outputs to minijacks on the daughter board

3) Four attenuators to control the individual filter outputs of the daughter board

3) One CNC-milled anodized alu front panel 8HP / 40.3 mm (same as Doepfer mixer A-138 Mixer)

As the filters will be tapped before the VCAs, the attenuators on the RES-4 will still control individual filter volumes at the main mix output of the module. In fact, the RES-4 will work precisely as it did before the mod, whether the daughter board is connected or not. The daughter board will be powered from the PCB of the RES-4, as seen in the photos at the start of this thread.

Unfortunately, I cannot show you the breakout panel at this time, but I can show you examples of my work doing CNCed Benjolin panels here:

http://macumbista.net/?p=4539

Please contact me by email at MACUMBISTA at the domain GMAIL dot COM, using the subject line RES-4 MOD to get my attention ;-)

The price would be EUR 60 (incl 19% VAT) / EUR 50 (shipped outside EU, or shipped outside Germany with valid EU VAT number) plus shipping costs.

I will mill the panels on 15 MARCH, so I would ask a 50% deposit by that time. Orders will be closed after that date.

Thanks for your kind attention!
Derek
Last edited by macumbista on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macumbista
Common Wiggler

Post by macumbista » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:17 am

One note to outside-EU people: I am not so sure this could work well due to German customs, who tend to be fairly aggressive about collecting duties. I would prefer not to pay duties on the price of a RES-4 just to do this repair! I will have to check on this if anyone needs it...

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:31 pm

Glad to see this mod being offered as a complete solution now! :tu:

Other than mentioned above, Derek tapped the channels before the internal VCAs (LEVEL) in my case. I really like this, the mix outputs (BP, NOTCH) and the individual outputs are independent this way and you can use the unaffected, direct signals with the LEVEL CV inputs for amplitude modulation.

The thread bump also reminds me that I wanted to post further info about the finished mod, and audio of course. Will post more as soon as I find the time to edit some recordings!

The following clip consists of two layered recordings of pinged Res-4, both taken directly from the the BP and NOTCH outputs with no other modules involved except for the Turing Machine, Plog, and Quantimator on sequencing duties (well, and Maths for ping trigger conditioning and modulation signal mixing). The individual outputs are feeding back into FREQ and LEVEL CV inputs on the Res-4, which is my favorite application for them.

http://soundcloud.com/main_void/perpetu ... on-machine

My current breakout module provides buffering for the four outputs as described by Derek. I’ve used basic non-inverting buffers (voltage follower) and added 1K current limiting resistors before the outputs as well as two 100n caps between +12V/-12V and ground for some power decoupling. Works really well and I have not experienced any issues connecting it to other modules or external devices. My plan was (still is I suppose) to build a more elaborate breakout with attenuverters, so this one still just has a cardboard panel.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:15 pm

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Waldemar
Common Wiggler

Post by Waldemar » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:26 pm

listentoaheartbeat wrote:Glad to see this mod being offered as a complete solution now! :tu:

Other than mentioned above, Derek tapped the channels before the internal VCAs (LEVEL) in my case. I really like this, the mix outputs (BP, NOTCH) and the individual outputs are independent this way and you can use the unaffected, direct signals with the LEVEL CV inputs for amplitude modulation.

The thread bump also reminds me that I wanted to post further info about the finished mod, and audio of course. Will post more as soon as I find the time to edit some recordings!

The following clip consists of two layered recordings of pinged Res-4, both taken directly from the the BP and NOTCH outputs with no other modules involved except for the Turing Machine, Plog, and Quantimator on sequencing duties (well, and Maths for ping trigger conditioning and modulation signal mixing). The individual outputs are feeding back into FREQ and LEVEL CV inputs on the Res-4, which is my favorite application for them.

http://soundcloud.com/main_void/perpetu ... on-machine

My current breakout module provides buffering for the four outputs as described by Derek. I’ve used basic non-inverting buffers (voltage follower) and added 1K current limiting resistors before the outputs as well as two 100n caps between +12V/-12V and ground for some power decoupling. Works really well and I have not experienced any issues connecting it to other modules or external devices. My plan was (still is I suppose) to build a more elaborate breakout with attenuverters, so this one still just has a cardboard panel.

The famous Jan. One step beyond ;-)
Are you bored or do you want to do something active? Then follow us on our cycling route.
www.indre-waldemar.de/route

macumbista
Common Wiggler

Post by macumbista » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:08 pm

Thanks Jan for posting the update on your RES-4!

Jan has called to my attention that the mod I did for him was before the VCAs, so in order to control the levels of each filter an attenuator will be necessary on the breakout panel.

Also, due to some unforeseen travel, I am rolling back the deadline to send the modules to me one extra week. New deadline will be 15 MARCH.

I will be updating the reservation post in this thread shortly to reflect these changes soon, as well as contacting those of you who have already reserved your place in this run. Thanks for you kind attention! D.

macumbista
Common Wiggler

Post by macumbista » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:46 am

So the first five modifications have been done. In the process, I discovered I had been tapping the wrong IC pin the first time I did it. The original mod still contained some of the low pass filter output. I have corrected the top post in this thread to show the proper tap point for full band pass only, before the VCAs so that the original attenuators of the RES-4 do not affect the signals going to the breakout board.

I also discovered how much I undercharged!!! You can *never* "do it as cheap as Doepfer", so any future modifications will cost about 1/3 more (approx EUR 90). That said, I do not have time to do more until June anyways, but pls do get in touch then if you are interested.

Here is the completed breakout module as well, with CNC-engraved front panel. Thanks so much to the Wigglers who got on board this first run, I'll be posting your modules back over the next two days.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:12 am

:love: so excited!

Waldemar
Common Wiggler

Post by Waldemar » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:25 am

Really fantastic work. Totally happy and can't wait :yay: :yay: :yay:
Are you bored or do you want to do something active? Then follow us on our cycling route.
www.indre-waldemar.de/route

macumbista
Common Wiggler

Post by macumbista » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:27 am

Details of the breakout connector.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:37 am

really fabulous mod, i recommend it to every res-4 owner!
here is a short pingy track with res-4 plus mod, controlled via the new cg products peak&hold (banging on cardboard with a piezo):

http://soundcloud.com/uzala/peakhold-res4

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:20 pm

a feedback patch i did with the help of this wonderful wonderful expander:

[video][/video]

_Kubism
Learning to Wiggle

Post by _Kubism » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:00 pm

That sounds amazing timoka!

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:04 am

merci kubism!
the mmf-6 is so great to shape a sound with few harmonics.
and the res4 expander is especially useful for this feedback arrangement,
if i would take one of the res-4 outputs i wouldn't be able to have such seperated voices, they would influence each other way too much.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:53 pm

another patch where res-4 is a chord machine. every channel modulates itself on the frequency to get these soft saw-ish waves.
master level controlled by the doepfer ribbon pressure out, this leads to the falling tones and the channels don't react at the same time to the feedback, quite fun to experiment with.
ph-8 modulates individual levels and noise from rg-6 modulates pan.

[video][/video]

Clive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Clive » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:08 pm

Lovely!

The Disquiet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by The Disquiet » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:47 pm

nice one Timoka!

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:04 pm

thanks! this expander really opens the res-4 up, individual am and fm sounds so great on this!

macumbista
Common Wiggler

Post by macumbista » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:38 am

Hello everyone. From time to time this post pops up again and I get more inquiries.

I'm really grateful for all the interest, but I should save everyone a bit of time by saying that I have one board plus panel left and it has been spoken for several times already.

In other words, I do not have any more for sale and no immediate plans to do another run.

The modification itself is quite easy and can be done from information in this thread. I'm quite busy with some academic things far away from my studio in Berlin at the moment, so unfortunately I can't help more than that.

I wish everyone a fine 2017!!!!!!
Derek

blinosynth
Veteran Wiggler

Post by blinosynth » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:54 am

i have res 4 on my way home
i wish someone could make me this modification.
whit who I need to spoke with?
who want to make it for me?
any volunteer?
:help:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”