ERD Eurorack modular release

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
acgenerator
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:44 am
Location: USA

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by acgenerator » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:21 pm

any timeline on ERD/Raven?

williamjturkel
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:50 am
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by williamjturkel » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:58 pm

Eagerly awaiting All the Colors of the Noise

User avatar
micro_research
Common Wiggler
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:28 pm
Location: London/Berlin
Contact:

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by micro_research » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:42 pm

acgenerator wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:21 pm
any timeline on ERD/Raven?
2021 I'll revise the Raven!

Late this year should also see two or three companion modules for All the Colours...

williamjturkel
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:50 am
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by williamjturkel » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:58 pm

OK, even more excited now!

User avatar
acgenerator
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:44 am
Location: USA

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by acgenerator » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:15 am

micro_research wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:42 pm
acgenerator wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:21 pm
any timeline on ERD/Raven?
2021 I'll revise the Raven!

Late this year should also see two or three companion modules for All the Colours...
Thank you for the update.

User avatar
PolarIceCaves
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:19 pm
Location: Cape Cod
Contact:

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by PolarIceCaves » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:20 pm

New module is out now.

All the Colours of the Noise
All the Colours of the Noise is a new rosarium of eurorack module for ouroboric becoming-noise at all timescales and frequencies, from the cloudy smoke of stray industrial furnace noise burning snakes to thunder and lightning noise from stricken server farms.

It is designed as a full noise voice (or two) for internal patching, which can easily draw sacrifices from other modulation sources at lower frequencies, exhibiting a ripeness for feedback (dripping, falling., compost in place and decay) and for dismemberment (sever those patch cables).

All the Colours of the Noise puts head to head, beak to beak, biting each, two noise sources, two clocked filters (low and bandpass), two sets of shift registers with 64 modes and various connective tissues. Pay attention to spiritus and corpus, anima and spiritus.

Colours will be joined by three companion modules in coming months of 2021: Spores, Heavens/ and TOAD.

http://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html

User avatar
acgenerator
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:44 am
Location: USA

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by acgenerator » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:59 pm

@micro_research re: All the colors of Noise

1) What is the underlying noise source (e.g. white noise, random digital, other?)
2) How many steps/position are in the Shift register?
3) Can we get a general Block-Flow diagram for a single-side? (clock, filter, comparitor, shift register, etc) It seems to be a top to bottom flow with some built in normaling and feedback... looking to wrap my head around this a little better.

User avatar
micro_research
Common Wiggler
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:28 pm
Location: London/Berlin
Contact:

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by micro_research » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:02 am

acgenerator wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:59 pm
@micro_research re: All the colors of Noise

1) What is the underlying noise source (e.g. white noise, random digital, other?)
2) How many steps/position are in the Shift register?
3) Can we get a general Block-Flow diagram for a single-side? (clock, filter, comparitor, shift register, etc) It seems to be a top to bottom flow with some built in normaling and feedback... looking to wrap my head around this a little better.
There's an extended manual here: https://1010.co.uk/AlltheColours_extendedmanual.pdf which might answer some or other questions. In the meantime:
1) There are two purely analogue white noise sources (one goes up into higher frequencies).
2) Shift Registers are all simulated with 64 different modes - in some modes the length/steps is adjustable, in others it's pretty much fixed at 32 steps. Each side has one shift register which in some cases is driven by another shift register.
3) I'll talk only of the normed flow for each side (with no patching) as AC is designed to be completely internally re-patchable:

white noise -> comparator -> one side of audio input (both sides are used for each filter) to the filter
clock source -> comparator -> filter - in the last 32 modes the shift register determines the clock and thus filter frequency, otherwise it is CV controlled
white noise -> shift register input
white noise -> comparator -> shift register clock/or additional input

Maybe it seems from this technical description more complex than it should be!

User avatar
acgenerator
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:44 am
Location: USA

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by acgenerator » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:34 pm

micro_research wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:02 am
acgenerator wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:59 pm
@micro_research re: All the colors of Noise

1) What is the underlying noise source (e.g. white noise, random digital, other?)
2) How many steps/position are in the Shift register?
3) Can we get a general Block-Flow diagram for a single-side? (clock, filter, comparitor, shift register, etc) It seems to be a top to bottom flow with some built in normaling and feedback... looking to wrap my head around this a little better.
There's an extended manual here: https://1010.co.uk/AlltheColours_extendedmanual.pdf which might answer some or other questions. In the meantime:
1) There are two purely analogue white noise sources (one goes up into higher frequencies).
2) Shift Registers are all simulated with 64 different modes - in some modes the length/steps is adjustable, in others it's pretty much fixed at 32 steps. Each side has one shift register which in some cases is driven by another shift register.
3) I'll talk only of the normed flow for each side (with no patching) as AC is designed to be completely internally re-patchable:

white noise -> comparator -> one side of audio input (both sides are used for each filter) to the filter
clock source -> comparator -> filter - in the last 32 modes the shift register determines the clock and thus filter frequency, otherwise it is CV controlled
white noise -> shift register input
white noise -> comparator -> shift register clock/or additional input

Maybe it seems from this technical description more complex than it should be!
Perfect. Just what I was looking to understand.

User avatar
Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1126
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:29 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by Infinity Curve » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:53 am

Any idea on ETA for next batch, Martin? This one caught me flat footed and ill prepared for the expense.

I did get the email for the release though; haven't been getting them for the last few, so that's good

User avatar
micro_research
Common Wiggler
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:28 pm
Location: London/Berlin
Contact:

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by micro_research » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:58 am

Infinity Curve wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:53 am
Any idea on ETA for next batch, Martin? This one caught me flat footed and ill prepared for the expense.

I did get the email for the release though; haven't been getting them for the last few, so that's good
New batch will be in the New Year. Happy Eclipsing!

User avatar
glennfin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 730
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Contact:

Re:

Post by glennfin » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:13 pm

micro_research wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:24 pm
The ERD/ERD vampiric edition contains mixed earth from both Golgotha, Jerusalem and Whitby Abbey, England. Whitby is the landing and stranding place of Dracula's ghost ship Demeter, delivering the fifty oblong boxes ("a number of great wooden boxes filled with mould") which find their way to the Count's chapel at Carfax. This earth is essential to Dracula, it forms "his earth-home, his coffin-home, his hell-home..."
How ridiculous. :lol:

User avatar
acgenerator
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:44 am
Location: USA

Re: Re:

Post by acgenerator » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:21 pm

glennfin wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:13 pm
micro_research wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:24 pm
The ERD/ERD vampiric edition contains mixed earth from both Golgotha, Jerusalem and Whitby Abbey, England. Whitby is the landing and stranding place of Dracula's ghost ship Demeter, delivering the fifty oblong boxes ("a number of great wooden boxes filled with mould") which find their way to the Count's chapel at Carfax. This earth is essential to Dracula, it forms "his earth-home, his coffin-home, his hell-home..."
How ridiculous. :lol:
From the website in your signature:
"Random FaKtor is a musical duo consisting of Bill Smith and Glenn Fin. Their primary focus is the studio recording and live performance of experimental, free-form improvisational, avant-garde and ambient types of music. Their performances consist of music performed on a variety of both standard and unusual homemade and "found" instruments. Performances can range anywhere from slow meditative ambient soundscapes to wild combinations of both natural and unusual man made sound bytes mixed with live performances on standard and non-standard instruments."

From https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite:
"a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings"

:lol:

User avatar
Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1126
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:29 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by Infinity Curve » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:47 pm

micro_research wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:58 am
Infinity Curve wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:53 am
Any idea on ETA for next batch, Martin? This one caught me flat footed and ill prepared for the expense.

I did get the email for the release though; haven't been getting them for the last few, so that's good
New batch will be in the New Year. Happy Eclipsing!
Thanks, I will be prepared

User avatar
glennfin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 730
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Contact:

Re: Re:

Post by glennfin » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:34 am

acgenerator wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:21 pm
glennfin wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:13 pm
micro_research wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:24 pm
The ERD/ERD vampiric edition contains mixed earth from both Golgotha, Jerusalem and Whitby Abbey, England. Whitby is the landing and stranding place of Dracula's ghost ship Demeter, delivering the fifty oblong boxes ("a number of great wooden boxes filled with mould") which find their way to the Count's chapel at Carfax. This earth is essential to Dracula, it forms "his earth-home, his coffin-home, his hell-home..."
How ridiculous. :lol:
From the website in your signature:
"Random FaKtor is a musical duo consisting of Bill Smith and Glenn Fin. Their primary focus is the studio recording and live performance of experimental, free-form improvisational, avant-garde and ambient types of music. Their performances consist of music performed on a variety of both standard and unusual homemade and "found" instruments. Performances can range anywhere from slow meditative ambient soundscapes to wild combinations of both natural and unusual man made sound bytes mixed with live performances on standard and non-standard instruments."

From https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite:
"a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings"

:lol:
That's really funny! Where exactly did I state my "beliefs" or "feelings"?? Comparing experimental music to a snake oil module that uses a clump of dirt!.... oh I see! you're comparing "experimental musical instruments" to a module that uses a clump of dirt that is being sold for profit... yea, that's a stretch! :razz:
Hey, but have at it! I'm always open for a good laugh. FYI..... there are no clumps of dirt (or snake oil) in any of the instruments Random Faktor uses. :lol: :lol: :lol: ...and thanks for posting that info from our website! we appreciate the publicity! :hihi:
Last edited by glennfin on Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
glennfin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 730
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Contact:

Re: Re:

Post by glennfin » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:36 am

Snake oil = "Snake oil is a euphemism for deceptive marketing"

............maybe I should grab a few cat turds from the litter box, stick a few probes in there and see what gives! :lol: :lol:
but of course tabby and calico turds will give different results.. :razz:

User avatar
Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 pm
Location: Northbay, CA

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by Ras Thavas » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:10 pm

On a more positive note, just got my first ERD module, an "All The Colors of Noise", number 2 of 100. I am working to fully "get" the signal flow despite the numerous hints in the manual, but if you like working with shift registers, runglers, pinged filters, or were interested in IFM's Dunst with its varieties of noise and dust, I think you'd like this. I never suspected there might be a desert island noise module, but this would be it. Very nice indeed...

skryex
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:25 pm
Location: Paris

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by skryex » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:51 am

Waw I just discovered Martin Howse and i am fascinated by his work. Some won't get it or need to watch some of his lectures online.
In the end, its the modular world, we are all paying hundred of euros for pcbs and obsolete component from the 70s...

User avatar
100000bps
Common Wiggler
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:56 am

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by 100000bps » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:17 am

Ras Thavas wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:10 pm
On a more positive note, just got my first ERD module, an "All The Colors of Noise", number 2 of 100. I am working to fully "get" the signal flow despite the numerous hints in the manual, but if you like working with shift registers, runglers, pinged filters, or were interested in IFM's Dunst with its varieties of noise and dust, I think you'd like this. I never suspected there might be a desert island noise module, but this would be it. Very nice indeed...
Hey man; can you give some demos/examples ? Im coming from benjolin and already on the list for next batch of Colors, but wondering how broad the sound spectra is. Have you tried inputing audio through both filters ? How different modes behave ? Decoding this will take a while ;)

williamjturkel
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:50 am
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by williamjturkel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:44 pm

I've had mine for two days. So far I have gotten sounds that are comparable to Quantum Rainbow, Zorlon Cannon, Ataraxic Translatron, Black Code Source + Expander, IFM Dunst, things that sound like snares, and a weird vocal thing that sounded a little bit like ERD/WORM. My first impressions aren't so much that ATCOTN covers a ton of new sounds (they might be new if you don't have already have a lot of noise modules) but rather that the interconnections and nonlinearities are unpredictable and fun to explore. There are so many inputs and outputs that it will take a very long time to map them.

User avatar
Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 pm
Location: Northbay, CA

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by Ras Thavas » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:46 pm

No recordings or videos to share at the moment, but in general I'd describe the breadth of the sound spectra as very wide, albeit within the subset of noise based sounds.

The demos that ERD has on soundcloud give a general sense, and this video is worth watching as well-



Generally speaking, expect various resonant filtered noise tones (some static others with moving frequencies), dense or sparse crackles and thunder from the noise-comparator outs, some pinged sounds, and my favorite, some burbling, water splashing-like sounds. Also of course, two nice analog noise sources that sound slightly different as well.
100000bps wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:17 am
Hey man; can you give some demos/examples ? Im coming from benjolin and already on the list for next batch of Colors, but wondering how broad the sound spectra is. Have you tried inputing audio through both filters ? How different modes behave ? Decoding this will take a while ;)
Last edited by Ras Thavas on Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

williamjturkel
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:50 am
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by williamjturkel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:05 pm

Yeah, I forgot the water splashing noise. That one is quite nice and unlike anything from my other noise modules. I should add that a lot of these sounds can be heard with little or no patching.

User avatar
100000bps
Common Wiggler
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:56 am

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by 100000bps » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:03 am

Thank you all, if you record some things please post it here if you can :)

User avatar
nomass
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 5:35 am
Location: DC

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by nomass » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 am

So I understand the symbolic pitch they are making about earth and a scary vampiric aura, but in practical terms why would one want to send synth voltages through dirt? What effect does it have? Does it create interesting noises? Do the millions of microorganisms add to the sound, if so how?

User avatar
Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1126
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:29 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: ERD Eurorack modular release

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:32 pm

Sound wise think of it as a distortion, dry/wetness of the soil also comes into play(you have to re-soak it every several months or so when/if it dries out). A destroyer of signals. It makes things dirty, no lie or smirk.

I take Martin's write ups with the same dash of open mindedness I would approach a 'manual' for a ciat-lonbarde device. Brilliant devices to be sure, but often better understood by hands than eyes.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”