Akemie's castle - what you doing with yours?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

interpolate
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by interpolate » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:14 pm

SphericalSound wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:34 am
Awesome song, man. Aphex and myself aproves much :sb:

I really love that sound. Im wondering what´s your recipe. You sample from the modular and then heavy edit on Ableton, maybe?
Thank you!

Yes, thats it basically. I start on the modular and do as much as I can there. Record long takes/improv into my Zoom. Plop the audio in Ableton (and sometimes Renoise) and "finish" them.

Please tell Aphex "Thanks, you're my idol!" :guinness: :hihi:

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Akemie's castle - what you doing with yours?

Post by cptnal » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:43 am

First couple of patches with the Castle. Only had it a few days, but fast becoming a cold-dead-hands module. :sb:

More patch info in these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68872&start=520

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31698&start=821
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:33 am

interpolate wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:14 pm
SphericalSound wrote:

I really love that sound. Im wondering what´s your recipe. You sample from the modular and then heavy edit on Ableton, maybe?
Thank you!

Yes, thats it basically. I start on the modular and do as much as I can there. Record long takes/improv into my Zoom. Plop the audio in Ableton (and sometimes Renoise) and "finish" them.

do i hear a david byrne "Hey!" in the beginning there?

nicely done cptnal! i'm having to live vicariously through you all as there's nothing i can kick out of my rack at the moment to fit this in... plus it's kind of an imposing one.
Last edited by dooj88 on Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 am

dooj88 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:33 am
interpolate wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:14 pm
SphericalSound wrote:

Thank you!

do i hear a david byrne "Hey!" in the beginning there?

nicely done cptnal! i'm having to live vicariously through you all as there's nothing i can kick out of my rack at the moment to fit this in... plus it's kind of an imposing one.
:tu:

No kidding! I'd been putting it off for a long time for the same reason. Well worth the footprint though. Very happy with it. :cloud:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:40 pm

I got my Castle on Friday and it's the INCREDIBLE!! :omg:
It does all the FM stuff I struggle to do with complex VCOs with ease.. and really blurs the line between melody and rhythm in a beautiful way. Easily my new favorite. An inspiration machine :sb:

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by megarat » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:52 pm

I’ll add to the choir: Akemie’s Castle is the shiznit. It’s easy to disregard this module as a retro gimmick, because of its NOS vintage sound card chips, but it’s the real deal. For those who love to sound-sculpt, the Castle is a cozy warm velvety rabbit hole of euphonic bliss, and the other features it brings to the game (e.g., two independent VCOs, chords w/inversion) more than justifies the space it takes up.

This is the module that got me excited about Eurorack, so it was one of my first acquisitions, and now I can’t imagine my rack w/o it.
Last edited by megarat on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:07 pm

What envelopes are ya'll using with the Castle?
The Verbos Multi-Envelope is my favorite so far because it's two-channel (with sliders) and the Castle is two-voice so I like to sculpt each voice accordingly with all the outputs. The Pip Slopes are cool because they're small but I'd like at least 4 to use with the Castle and that gets a bit expensive.

I can't imagine a case without the Castle either! I'm in the process of designing a new case around it :mrgreen:

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by megarat » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:21 pm

yellowecho wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:07 pm
I use a few modules, depending on what I’m trying to do. For routing through a VCA, I commonly use Quadrax for short AR/ASR envelopes, and for drones I like to create generative envelopes with my pair of Contour 1s. For modulating parameters (typically the level of the operators), I especially enjoy using some of the oddball shapes on my Zadar.
Last edited by megarat on Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:49 pm

I wanted to demonstrate the different algorithms on the Castle so I threw together a quick riff and hit record. I tried to position the knobs so every algo sounded usable in a song-context (which can be a bit challenging). One channel of Pams for quantization and the Verbos Multi-Envelope for modulation. 808 kick added because why not? Every few bars I change the algos so you can hear the dynamic adjustments with the hit of a single button :love: :hyper: Added a touch of Verbos delay too.

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:41 am

Given the weekend batch of replies, hopefully this is good timing to ask with a few people around:

For anyone here with both Akemie’s Castle and the Humble Audio Quad Operator, each with their pros and cons, I’m curious as to whether or not one or the other has ended up becoming your go-to module for FM. Has, for example, the Akemie’s won you over with its slightly dirty retro sound? Or the Quad Operator with its matrix and independent outputs? Or did something else win you over to one?

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:06 am

I didn't like at first but now I love it.

I would describe it as 'velvety'. Take any normal FM tone and wrap it in a nice layer of velvet.

In this one, Akemie does all of the bass. You can hear how soft and lovely it sounds, especially through a delay where the velvety layers pile over one another to create a memory-foam-like substance.

Each parameter has an incredibly rich effect on the texture. The fm feedback just sounds beautiful and the modulator waveforms gracefully but dramatically change the material.

I feel bad about posting a thread soon after receiving mine, complaining that I thought it was broken. This was just a quirk of one of the modulators for one of the algorithms.

Great job ALM on such a beautiful product, it has brought me a lot of joy.

NJlo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NJlo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:52 am

inoshi wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:06 am
I didn't like at first but now I love it.

I would describe it as 'velvety'. Take any normal FM tone and wrap it in a nice layer of velvet.

In this one, Akemie does all of the bass. You can hear how soft and lovely it sounds, especially through a delay where the velvety layers pile over one another to create a memory-foam-like substance.

Each parameter has an incredibly rich effect on the texture. The fm feedback just sounds beautiful and the modulator waveforms gracefully but dramatically change the material.

I feel bad about posting a thread soon after receiving mine, complaining that I thought it was broken. This was just a quirk of one of the modulators for one of the algorithms.

Great job ALM on such a beautiful product, it has brought me a lot of joy.
I love that! What else are you using in the patch?

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:11 am

NJlo wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:52 am
I love that! What else are you using in the patch?
Thanks NJlo! Glad you like it.
Let's see...
channel 1:
lead: loquelic -> elements -> rainmaker
bass: Akemie -> chronoblob 2
channel 2:
snare: hyper fist -> three sisters -> erbe-verb -> mimeophon
hi-hat / slither: dirty-glitch -> Serge res eq -> clouds (some spectral mode)
bass drum: qbit scanned
sequencer: A4 + BSP + PNW + Bishop's Misc
modulation: hypster + sloths + PNW (w/ other modules for variations)
FX:
fabfilter compressors on each channel, w/ side-chaining
octatrack (used intermittently)

that's all that i can recall. It's a really simple patch which started with the Akemie -> chronoblob 2. Everything else was based on top of that lovely sound.

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:14 am

megarat wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:52 pm
I’ll add to the choir: Akemie’s Castle is the shiznit. It’s easy to disregard this module as a retro gimmick, because of its NOS vintage sound card chips, but it’s the real deal. For those who love to sound-sculpt, the Castle is a cozy warm velvety rabbit hole of euphonic bliss, and the other features it brings to the game (e.g., two independent VCOs, chords w/inversion) more than justifies the space it takes up.

This is the module that got me excited about Eurorack, so it was one of my first acquisitions, and now I can’t imagine my rack w/o it.
Same! Akemies Castle got me into modular too, It was my very first module, and I had to use the mixer on my Grandmother to get my first sounds (one of the reasons I suggest to some to start out semi-modular).

A year later it is still my very favorite module, absolutely adore the damn thing.

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:21 am

mvdirty wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:41 am
For anyone here with both Akemie’s Castle and the Humble Audio Quad Operator, each with their pros and cons, I’m curious as to whether or not one or the other has ended up becoming your go-to module for FM.
+1
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

RIP Ziggy, the companion in my avatar.

Easterner
Common Wiggler

Post by Easterner » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:44 am

yellowecho wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:07 pm
The Verbos Multi-Envelope is my favorite so far because it's two-channel (with sliders) and the Castle is two-voice so I like to sculpt each voice accordingly with all the outputs. The Pip Slopes are cool because they're small but I'd like at least 4 to use with the Castle and that gets a bit expensive.

I can't imagine a case without the Castle either! I'm in the process of designing a new case around it :mrgreen:
I’ve enjoyed using Just Friends as related envelopes for Akemie’s Castle! Whether for more percussive sounds / plucks / bass, or as phasing LFOs for pads.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:42 pm

Not tryin to show off or anything but god damn akemie kills the bassline here

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by Daisuk » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:01 pm

interpolate wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:44 pm
I made a whole album with mine

I love that Sound Blaster 16 sound
Great tune, man. Just bought an Akemie's Castle today and found this thread, and really love this stuff! Great work! Still rocking the castle? :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”