Akemie's castle - what you doing with yours?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Ceres
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ceres » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:27 am

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:
orlog24 wrote:may be a stupid question, but whats the best way to get a Bell sound out of Akemies castle?
used to easily with a DX, but for some reason I am having trouble with Akemies. Maybe its just my use of a VCA?

Ed
Bell tones come from setting the ratios to fractions to get overtones outside the harmonic series. The operator multipliers of the Akemie's Castle are locked to whole numbers so there are a lot of traditional FM tones that it can't do. That may be your issue.
It would be nice if there was alternate firmware that allowed for fractional ratios. To me that’s where all the FM deliciousness is at.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:22 am

The underlying yammy ymf262 IC is only capable of integer ratios so an alternate firmware wouldn't help Im afraid.

There are clangy bell like tones to be found though... Akemies Taiko for example (with same underlying IC) can knock them out easy enough. OTOH Try with a complex algo arrangement, high-ish ratios, wave shapes that will give you alot of initial bright harmonics and then filter the harmonics down via envelope control into operator levels.

Also note its easy to do inharmonic fractional ratio fm with two analog oscs if you want inharmonic clangy like sounds (and Akemie is too 'pure' harmonically).

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:22 pm

What are people’s favorite modulators for the castle? Any examples of dissonant horror-movie-ish pads?

AThousandDetails
Common Wiggler

Post by AThousandDetails » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:37 am

got mine some weeks ago and been struggling quite a bit :) still have a learning curve to get those dopey techno basslines and sounds :) most of the time i've been hitting the Noise Area of it eheh :)

Vcoadsr any tips on how to get those dubby techno chords?
Dogs are cool. Dogs rule over cats :D

reodjectz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by reodjectz » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:30 am

Just patched with the castle last night for the first time in a while. And the NOISE?!? I don't remember this in the past but there is a lot of digital noise over the top of everything. Anyone else? And anything other than putting a low pass filter on after to help?

Puscha
Common Wiggler

Post by Puscha » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:11 am

AThousandDetails wrote:got mine some weeks ago and been struggling quite a bit :) still have a learning curve to get those dopey techno basslines and sounds :) most of the time i've been hitting the Noise Area of it eheh :)

Vcoadsr any tips on how to get those dubby techno chords?
Try algorithm 6, all waveforms turned to sines, multipliers set to lowest, and bring in levels until it sounds right. Run it through a low pass filter.
reodjectz wrote:Just patched with the castle last night for the first time in a while. And the NOISE?!? I don't remember this in the past but there is a lot of digital noise over the top of everything. Anyone else? And anything other than putting a low pass filter on after to help?
Change your algorithms and waveforms, turn down the feedback, balance the multipliers out, and don't have the levels all set to high all at once.

It's a module that shines wity subtle modulation. Use the trim pots and slow envelopes/LFOs!

It's very easily a very digital sounding and at times noisy module, but that's also what makes it so good!

reodjectz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by reodjectz » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:48 am

Puscha wrote:
Change your algorithms and waveforms, turn down the feedback, balance the multipliers out, and don't have the levels all set to high all at once.
I'm talking about a background noise that is audible even with all levels at zero, across all algorithms. The A's Tiako even warns about the noise in the manual.

ookrsia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ookrsia » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:51 am

reodjectz wrote:
I'm talking about a background noise that is audible even with all levels at zero, across all algorithms. The A's Tiako even warns about the noise in the manual.
Maybe record an audio clip so we know exactly what you mean.

reodjectz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by reodjectz » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Its fairly generic digital noise but here we go - ALL knobs fully CCW. The actual audio is very quiet so this is normalized.

https://soundcloud.com/reodjectz/akemiesnoise

First 1/2 is clicking through the algorithms on OSC A, then the same on OSC b.

The noise during re-plugging is not audible at all before the normalization (intellijell 80w power supply for those curious). .

ookrsia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ookrsia » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:15 am

reodjectz wrote:Its fairly generic digital noise but here we go - ALL knobs fully CCW. The actual audio is very quiet so this is normalized.

https://soundcloud.com/reodjectz/akemiesnoise

First 1/2 is clicking through the algorithms on OSC A, then the same on OSC b.

The noise during re-plugging is not audible at all before the normalization (intellijell 80w power supply for those curious). .
When I put my Akemie's all knobs CCW it does not go quiet, but there is a faint sound still coming through. However, the sound coming through is the actual sound of the Akemie but just very faint. It certainly does not sound like your demo. When I want silence out of the Akemie I just run it through a VCA.

If I were you I would still try the module with another PSU. And then if the noise is still there and bothers you, contact seller/ALM.

npseaver
Common Wiggler

Post by npseaver » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:17 pm

Finally pulled the trigger after having wanted one of these for way too long, thanks to one beer too many and a Perfect Circuit sale. It's really lovely, and I'm having a hard time forcing myself to do anything other than dial in a rich chord pad with a random walk into one of the operators' multipliers, to get that Terry Riley drone vibe. Marvelous!

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:34 pm

This is on my wish list :cry:

lakeshorephatty
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lakeshorephatty » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:00 am

dang_motu wrote:Actually, I'd be interested in getting some patch notes on ALM's newest instagram video. I understand he's using a combo of Brains, Pressure Points and Analog Memory (x2), but as I don't use or own these units, I'm a bit at a loss as to what's going on. I absolutely love what I am hearing, though:

Mercy! :deadbanana:

lakeshorephatty
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lakeshorephatty » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:17 am

kwaidan wrote:A quick recording of the AC supplying both bass and dub chords.

dub test
Sweet! :hihi:

lakeshorephatty
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lakeshorephatty » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:59 am

mwvm wrote:

All the sounds apart from the bass drum and snare are from the castle
Love this. More musical and subtle. My intended use when I get my hands on one later this week :hyper:

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:42 am

Just wanted to check with some AC owners that a bit of hiss is normal on the output? Having to low pass it when I make kicks

ookrsia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ookrsia » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:14 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:Just wanted to check with some AC owners that a bit of hiss is normal on the output? Having to low pass it when I make kicks
Old dusty crunchy FM chips are not hifi by any standards. The hiss is part of the charm ;-)

However, it's also possible that the power supply is causing something unwanted behavior. Akemie's Taiko is, for example, is well known for being super sensitive to psu problems. (Of course I know we're talking about Akemie's Palace instead!)

Without an audio example, it's impossible to say if your hiss is normal or abnormal

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:34 pm

well since you asked.... percussion here is all akemie's castle (except the bass drum) through a three sisters.

it's easiest to hear starting around the 4:00 mark

https://soundcloud.com/user-793035214-8 ... 2/patch-28

interpolate
Common Wiggler

Post by interpolate » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:44 pm

I made a whole album with mine

I love that Sound Blaster 16 sound

Cutteh
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Akemie's castle - what you doing with yours?

Post by Cutteh » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:27 am

I have 2x ACs and recently have been setting them up as a "2 op four-voice poly with paraphonic FM" (yeah I know) via a Tangle Quartet, a Doepfer poly ADSR and a Yarns/Keystep. It's great.

This has got me thinking: There are points visible on the PCB marked "PGM" and "+TX-". This means very little to me other than giving me hope that it may be possible to change up the algorithms via an update somehow... The reason being is that I would like to be able to have an arrangement whereby both VCOs can use the same 2op algorithm- ideal for 2op polyphony/duophony. Presently the selection of 2op algorithms only allow for different combos on each VCO- one must be "additive" and one FM (or the other way round). If there were two more 2op algorithms (2op additive on A and B, 2op FM on A and B using the relative operators) then I would be an even happier bunny

If you see what I mean

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:10 am

Cutteh wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:27 am
I have 2x ACs and recently have been setting them up as a "2 op four-voice poly with paraphonic FM" (yeah I know) via a Tangle Quartet, a Doepfer poly ADSR and a Yarns/Keystep. It's great.
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
Cutteh wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:27 am
This has got me thinking: There are points visible on the PCB marked "PGM" and "+TX-". This means very little to me other than giving me hope that it may be possible to change up the algorithms via an update somehow... The reason being is that I would like to be able to have an arrangement whereby both VCOs can use the same 2op algorithm- ideal for 2op polyphony/duophony. Presently the selection of 2op algorithms only allow for different combos on each VCO- one must be "additive" and one FM (or the other way round). If there were two more 2op algorithms (2op additive on A and B, 2op FM on A and B using the relative operators) then I would be an even happier bunny
Why not just use the 4th algo ? That gives you 2x 2op FM voices which are then mixed and duplicated though A & B. if you just want a single FM 2op turn the level down on operator 4. For additive you can do something similar with Algo 6 - just turn down ops 2&3.

Cutteh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cutteh » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:13 am

Aha! I have misunderstood this whole time. I had assumed that algo# 4 would produce a 4-op voice across both outputs as opposed to 2x 2op voices. I have been using this algorithm to produce monophonic approximations of "typical DX bells/gong" sounds where output A produces the main body of the sound while output B produces the inharmonic part of the sound as one way around the "no non-integer ratio between operators" nature of the Yammy IC.

The assumption I had made was that operators 1-4 would all be present on both outputs (as opposed to operators 1 & 2 on output A and 3 & 4 on output B). Thus; a modulation on operator 1 or 3 would be audible on both outputs which is fine for "stabbed" chords whereby all notes trigger at the same time as if sharing a single VCA/envelope (a la the built-in chord mode) but not as good for other polyphonic applications, like traditional two-handed keyboard playing. I guess I should have read the manual a little closer! I'm not sure if my explanation will make much sense to anyone but I am really looking forward to getting home and having a jam!
Last edited by Cutteh on Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:14 am

This is Akemie's Castle modulated by Stages, with VST fx. It's a killer drone machine :zen:

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:34 pm

starthief wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:14 am
This is Akemie's Castle modulated by Stages, with VST fx. It's a killer drone machine :zen:

great mix of crunchy tone, space and timbre variance. nice balance of highs and lows too. *chefs kiss*

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by SphericalSound » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:34 am

interpolate wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:44 pm
I made a whole album with mine

I love that Sound Blaster 16 sound
Awesome song, man. Aphex and myself aproves much :sb:

I really love that sound. Im wondering what´s your recipe. You sample from the modular and then heavy edit on Ableton, maybe?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”