Akemie's castle - what you doing with yours?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:32 pm

A quick recording of the AC supplying both bass and dub chords.

dub test

Turboblast
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Turboblast » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:08 am

sweet!

Would love to hear a long sustained filter swept pad piece, if anyones up for it?

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:48 am

kwaidan wrote:A quick recording of the AC supplying both bass and dub chords.

dub test
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/users/164845543" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Very nice! You really nailed the Dub Techno sound there. :yay:

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:09 am

dub test
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:20 pm

[video][/video]

Some more Akemie's lovin' with a heavy dose of God's Box 'Humpback' SEM-type filter.

moog man
Common Wiggler

Post by moog man » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:19 am

Vcoadsr wrote:

dub test
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/users/164845543" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Very nice! You really nailed the Dub Techno sound there. :yay:
indeed, feeling super dubbed out right now :goo:

this is a cool module! nice work

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:41 pm

xonetacular wrote:how is it using cv to change chords?

I like that it has chords assignable by cv and inversions assignable by cv, just seems like it could be a bit of a pain selecting the right cv values for different chords since they are all on one knob/input.

I was originally looking at a shapeshifter for chords, but that seems like a pain too since you have to save each chord to a preset and scroll though presets, but at least you can isolate the chords you want easily and know what you're getting.
any thoughts on this^^?

torn between akemie and shapeshifter for chord duties.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:58 pm

xonetacular wrote:
xonetacular wrote:how is it using cv to change chords?

I like that it has chords assignable by cv and inversions assignable by cv, just seems like it could be a bit of a pain selecting the right cv values for different chords since they are all on one knob/input.

I was originally looking at a shapeshifter for chords, but that seems like a pain too since you have to saven each chord to a preset and scroll though presets, but at least you can isolate the chords you want easily and know what you're getting.
any thoughts on this^^?

torn between akemie and shapeshifter for chord duties.
You can use two channels of a DAW or sequencer to specify the type of chord to play. With one channel, set the root note for each chord in your progression. With another channel, you can specify the type of chord you want to play.

I did a quick test in Ableton, and it seemed to work. You have 16 different chord types spread across 0-10 volts, so you have to play around to select the correct note for major, minor, etc. The knob acts as an offset.

The Shapeshifter has more chord forms, a vocoder, and patch storage. Plus, you can morph between patches, which I believe is the only way to change the type of chord played.

I have both. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the AC. For my needs, it is more versatile sounding.

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:52 am

alright cool

I think I would like the interface on akemie better anyway. I used a shapeshifter briefly when it first came out and was lost but maybe would need to get used to it. it would be nice to see what chords are playing but I guess maybe not that important

dang_motu
Common Wiggler

Post by dang_motu » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:13 am

You're probably better off using Akemie's to find a melody and than to modulate it to accompany an already existing melody. Just a thought

Torn n Frayed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Torn n Frayed » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:19 pm

ben_hex wrote:In answer to the thread title waiting for one :mrgreen: then it's video demo time.
Sweet, love all your videos! Feeding my new found addiction...! :guinness:

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:30 am

xonetacular wrote:alright cool

I think I would like the interface on akemie better anyway. I used a shapeshifter briefly when it first came out and was lost but maybe would need to get used to it. it would be nice to see what chords are playing but I guess maybe not that important
I guess it depends whether you put melodies and harmony together explicitly with knowledge of the exact note/chord combination or you use your ear.
I typically start with the melody + Unison chord mode and then I play around with the chord type, often find interesting chord progressions that I wouldn't have deliberately come to from my guitar playing background.

auxren
Veteran Wiggler

Post by auxren » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:48 am

I've been using it lately for all oscilattor duties whether they be dual, FMed, or something else. The chords from A are a nice plus but they seem to get a bit nasty and overdriven in a not too desirable way.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:12 am

auxren wrote:The chords from A are a nice plus but they seem to get a bit nasty and overdriven in a not too desirable way.
The chord levels out of A are hotter than just a single voice out of A. You need to account for this (i.e attenuate) or your VCA etc could well distort the signal. See the manual for more info.

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:40 am

Vcoadsr wrote: I guess it depends whether you put melodies and harmony together explicitly with knowledge of the exact note/chord combination or you use your ear.
I typically start with the melody + Unison chord mode and then I play around with the chord type, often find interesting chord progressions that I wouldn't have deliberately come to from my guitar playing background.
I go by ear but I don't have a background in music so it's nice to have some visual reference to see what's going on and learn. I could see that being a good way to work.

SynapseCollapse
Common Wiggler

Post by SynapseCollapse » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:08 am

Really digging this demo! Thanks for sharing. :hail:
Vcoadsr wrote:[video][/video]

Some more Akemie's lovin' with a heavy dose of God's Box 'Humpback' SEM-type filter.

GYS
Common Wiggler

Re: Akemie's castle - what you doing with yours?

Post by GYS » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:49 pm

Vcoadsr wrote: Above is a little jam I did the other night using output A in the chord mode for some dub-techno-esque sounds and output B for melodic duties.

Fellow dub techno producer here...hot damn that's some good shit! :yay:

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Akemie's castle - what you doing with yours?

Post by Vcoadsr » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:45 am

GYS wrote:Fellow dub techno producer here...hot damn that's some good shit! :yay:
Thanks! It was genuinely my first attempt at a dub techno track. :hyper:
SynapseCollapse wrote:Really digging this demo! Thanks for sharing. :hail:
My pleasure, thanks for listening and feedback. Hopefully going to do some more in the next couple of weeks.

orlog24
Common Wiggler

Post by orlog24 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:24 am

Just got mine calibrated with silent way。 its my first entry into euro. Have had a love for FM for a long time.
I was worrid about stepping when modulatd, but strangely, i dont notice it as much as when I turn a pot.
Been gettin some great sounds, from stange mudulated pseudo-sequences to striathtforward organs, and everything in between. I feel i made the right chiic as my first module!
Now just waiting for my Clouds preorder, and erica Dtech filter!

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:34 am

This page http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=YMF262 says the YMF262 includes a logarithmic sawtooth but searching through the 8 simple waveforms, there is no saw. I'm curious if its absence was an implementation decision. Crafting a clean one with 4 op FM seems impossible. The closest I've gotten is rather soft around the edges.

One thing I find interesting is that multiplication settings yield inconsistent results. If you set a multiplier, change it, then step back to the exact same setting the waveform is different. Sometimes wildly unalike.

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:04 am

I think I need to tune mine. I'm too lazy so I've been ignoring it until now. It's cool when it's all over the place, but I can't get any particular melody because of it.

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:14 pm

I see. It says in the manual waveform 8 is a logarithmic saw. I suspected that might be the case but it's very thin sounding and doesn't match the provided illustration when viewed on a scope. A useful waveform that sounds cool nonetheless.

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:32 pm

MATSmile wrote:I think I need to tune mine. I'm too lazy so I've been ignoring it until now. It's cool when it's all over the place, but I can't get any particular melody because of it.
Tuned it and my love for it just doubled. I can't believe I couldn't do it for two months and then did it in two hour. I just don't understand why it didn't come tuned from the factory

anderson303
Veteran Wiggler

Post by anderson303 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:31 am

ben_hex wrote:In answer to the thread title waiting for one :mrgreen: then it's video demo time.
ok, well let me know when that one's up. Just finish watching your Dual Borg video and now I regret selling it. I thought it sounded too much like my Frequensteiner, but after watching your video I realize it doesn't' actually :/

Jtalton
Common Wiggler

Post by Jtalton » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:41 am

[video][/video]

Return to “Eurorack Modules”