Akemie's castle - what you doing with yours?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Jtalton
Common Wiggler

Post by Jtalton » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:46 am

[video][/video]

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:57 am

love it! - my greyhound (RIP) used to look like that sometimes when weird music was on!

:yay:

mwvm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mwvm » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:07 pm

I've try to replicate some operator patches with mixed success - I do love the artefacts and imperfections... This isn't a go at the module... There's something really nice about how it reacts.

The 4 in series algorithm especially can be all out noise one minute... A cello the next. I love that.
I build DIY O_c, TU, uBraids etc... Get in touch!

https://www.instagram.com/mwvm_music/ Clips of blips

mwvm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mwvm » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:15 pm

All the sounds apart from the bass drum and snare are from the castle

Haterade
Common Wiggler

Post by Haterade » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:51 pm

Very cool patch.
"Don't shun the world, shed it"

mwvm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mwvm » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:36 am

Haterade wrote:Very cool patch.
Thanks.

It's quickly becoming one of my favs. One hour can easily turn in to four very quickly as it has subtle variations that keep you tweaking and interested.

This is not an instant gratification type of module I don't think. Very different from any other module I've played within eurorack world.

The only negatives I have are lack of err FM lol... as in there 1v/oct but no other way of modulating overall pitch. And it would've been wacky to CV the algorithms.

Electrostatic
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Electrostatic » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:31 am

Akemie's Castle with next to no modulation making lovely organ sounds. The only modulation there is on it is making those trill sounds every now and again.

So it can do the mad fm sounds as well as lush sounds. Very good and incredibly useful module.

[video][/video]

intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by intuitionnyc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:19 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Milanm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Milanm » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:46 am

Electrostatic wrote:Akemie's Castle with next to no modulation making lovely organ sounds. The only modulation there is on it is making those trill sounds every now and again.

So it can do the mad fm sounds as well as lush sounds. Very good and incredibly useful module.

[video][/video]

Very nice indeed!

oootini
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oootini » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:54 am

Electrostatic wrote:Akemie's Castle with next to no modulation making lovely organ sounds. The only modulation there is on it is making those trill sounds every now and again.

[video][/video]
nice patch. what is that white star thingy you have patched up sitting on your your case? is it some kind of mult thing? looks very handy...

Electrostatic
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Electrostatic » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks a lot folks. :guinness:

oootini, yes it's a mult. Found them on ebay (shipped from China I think) and really dirt cheap, less than a quid each if I remember, so I grabbed a bunch of them.

Cheers.

EDIT:
Just had a look and I'm not sure if these are from the same person I got them from. Basically the same thing, but have gone up in price quite a bit.
Still less than £1.50 each though and free shipping.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headphone-Spl ... 1a0c223df0

Well worth it, and they work perfectly.

Jtalton
Common Wiggler

Post by Jtalton » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:46 am

mwvm wrote:

All the sounds apart from the bass drum and snare are from the castle
awesome patch. this module doesnt get enough love. the more i mess around with it the more i love it

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:18 am

kwaidan wrote:
xonetacular wrote:
xonetacular wrote:how is it using cv to change chords?

I like that it has chords assignable by cv and inversions assignable by cv, just seems like it could be a bit of a pain selecting the right cv values for different chords since they are all on one knob/input.

I was originally looking at a shapeshifter for chords, but that seems like a pain too since you have to saven each chord to a preset and scroll though presets, but at least you can isolate the chords you want easily and know what you're getting.
any thoughts on this^^?

torn between akemie and shapeshifter for chord duties.
You can use two channels of a DAW or sequencer to specify the type of chord to play. With one channel, set the root note for each chord in your progression. With another channel, you can specify the type of chord you want to play.

I did a quick test in Ableton, and it seemed to work. You have 16 different chord types spread across 0-10 volts, so you have to play around to select the correct note for major, minor, etc. The knob acts as an offset.

The Shapeshifter has more chord forms, a vocoder, and patch storage. Plus, you can morph between patches, which I believe is the only way to change the type of chord played.

I have both. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the AC. For my needs, it is more versatile sounding.
As Xonetacular posted, the Shapeshifter lets you create sequences of presets with different chord types (and different everything!) which you can step thru to get different chord changes (along with pitch CV in) it takes a little planning but works great :tu:

hmurdoch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hmurdoch » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:00 pm

hadn't really considered this module but the OP video is making me reconsider, love the dub techno sounds

tom2deep
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tom2deep » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:09 pm

:hyper: love this vibe. you nailed it and are making me want one. I tried it out in London Modular today and dig the deep lush chords you can get out of it.

Just need to get final :75: together and I'll be :banana:

tom2deep
Learning to Wiggle

:hyper: love this vibe. you nailed it and are making me want one. I tried it out in London Modular today and dig the deep lush chords you can get out of it.

tom2deep
Learning to Wiggle

orlog24
Common Wiggler

Post by orlog24 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:36 am

may be a stupid question, but whats the best way to get a Bell sound out of Akemies castle?
used to easily with a DX, but for some reason I am having trouble with Akemies. Maybe its just my use of a VCA?

Ed

Manzanedo
Common Wiggler

Post by Manzanedo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:54 pm

The video from the OP sounds nice. The attack of the envelope in particular sounds great (Maths?). This module seems very cool, even to somebody who has little interest in House chords. I do have a Shapeshifter, and I guess that in the Chord area they have similarities, but the Shapeshifter, and no doubt the AC are much more than that. I would love to hear the AC in a more evolving textural patch. Shapeshifter excels in this area for sure. The technology seems to be much different, the Shapeshifter being built on an Altera FPGA.

The idea of menu diving initially had me hesitant on the Shapeshifter, but after heeding some valuable words from Exper on Muffs, I gave it a shot. It is hard to call it menu diving. It is not that. Everything is either on the panel, or a button press away. Granted, if one desires to set up and step through specific chord changes, it takes some planning. I don't see these modules as covering too much of the same ground to not consider both.

ES
Common Wiggler

Post by ES » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:04 am

ben_hex wrote:In answer to the thread title waiting for one :mrgreen: then it's video demo time.
Any chance of this happening? Am on the fence about the Akemies and I think one of your brilliant videos would help a lot!

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:20 am

So is this module doing FM or PM?

orlog24
Common Wiggler

Post by orlog24 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:11 pm

The module is fm. I will post a video later of Akemies doing slow evolving textures.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Mon May 30, 2016 12:12 pm

orlog24 wrote:The module is fm. I will post a video later of Akemies doing slow evolving textures.
Great, looking forward to that!

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Mon May 30, 2016 1:03 pm

yeah - if you modulate the LEVEL cv inputs they all produce smooth modulation (ie: not stepped, like the others)

orlog24
Common Wiggler

Post by orlog24 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:30 am

Heres a slow organy Akemies Castle job. Made it for then 3 month old son to relax.

Castle in the Clouds.

argh, I have to change the format!!!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”