Akemie's castle - what you doing with yours?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

orlog24
Common Wiggler

Post by orlog24 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Akemies

Heres a slow one with Akemies. It was for my son to sleep to

eyetomymoon
Common Wiggler

Post by eyetomymoon » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:25 pm

some gorgeous sounds contained herein. quite interested in an akemie's castle myself but am wondering if / how limited these are? on topic of what people are doing with theirs, have noticed these seem to have been moved on from the racks of folk whose videos (and accompanying patch notes) these were appearing in... interested in hearing why people left theirs for other oscillators (perhaps just in pursuit of excitement of new booty) and / or from people in committed / fulfilled, longer term relationships...

auxren
Veteran Wiggler

Post by auxren » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:40 pm

Still loving it. Doing things like making drum programs for my MPC1000 using only percussion sounds from the Akemies. Then laying chords and other fun stuff on top.

DiesIraeDisArray
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DiesIraeDisArray » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Can I be persuaded in one direction OR the other?
and your case for each:

Akemie's Castle w/
Make Noise 0-Coast for beginners, next in no particular order:

VS.

Roland TB-03; TR-09
Soulsby Odytron

VS.

Oberheim TVP +(x)

VS.

Soulsby Atmultitron; and Odytron

VS.
Arturia Matrix OR DSI Pro 2

--------------------
Last but not least:
VS.
Oberheim TVP + ...
TB-03; TR-09; A-01; Odytron; Korg Arp Odyssey Rev1or2FS; etc...

P.S. I want to build something

OR keep things interesting with something like:
ROBOTO Eurorack Voice Changer
Analog Drive...
Line 6 Helix.

You tell me so many choices...????

Turboblast
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Turboblast » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:44 am

DiesIraeDisArray welcome to muff! yes so many choices. What are u trying to do?

DiesIraeDisArray
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DiesIraeDisArray » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:36 pm

I would like to do this:

Oberheim Two Voice Pro w/ Arturia MatrixBrute, Akemie's Castle and 0-Coast make noise, and make Akemie's Castle and 0-Coast the Modular masters in this rig set up.

But I have to say honest/sorry to be short/ I am new to Modular Synthesizers, and want to spend the least for the most versatility.

I am split between the OB TVP and Arturia MatrixBrute.
I do enjoy the synths I have, but I am stuck with my Digital Synths and I believe I will still very much make use of them...
Sucks that I'll have to buy the Future Retro Mondo Vox soon, but I know Roland has 'Quad Core'

And will use Line 6 Helix as an audio interface/pedal (4 synths @one time)
Owned:KorgR3;DSI OB-6;Yamaha Reface DX;&CP|VSTs:FM8,Dexed,DaHornet,PlogueChipSounds|Antcptd:$ynth$(DSI OB-6DsktpVSspendingThe$Un-necessarilyOnDSI Rev2)OberheimTVP, Arturia MatrixBrute,Akemie'sCastle,MakeNoise0-coast,Odytron,MoogMthr32,VC303+Line6Helix

DiesIraeDisArray
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DiesIraeDisArray » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:42 pm

The Digital Synth world is pulling me to buy:
Roland TB-03; and TR-09;VP-03, and settling w/ the OB TVP...

But I'm looking at different/bigger landscape///???
Owned:KorgR3;DSI OB-6;Yamaha Reface DX;&CP|VSTs:FM8,Dexed,DaHornet,PlogueChipSounds|Antcptd:$ynth$(DSI OB-6DsktpVSspendingThe$Un-necessarilyOnDSI Rev2)OberheimTVP, Arturia MatrixBrute,Akemie'sCastle,MakeNoise0-coast,Odytron,MoogMthr32,VC303+Line6Helix

Turboblast
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Turboblast » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:10 pm

The "bigger landscape" is pure modular. Just realizing this is an ALM thread. Maybe start with an akemies castle, vcas, filter, sample and hold, clock, envalope, and some lfos, and abandon all the Roland remake boxs. They don't sound that great anyway.

RLK
Wiggling with Experience

Question Regarding Wave Control Behavior.

Post by RLK » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:44 am

Hello
On my AC, Turning the "Wave" control (from 7o,clock to 5 o,clock) there seems to be no change in the waves until I get passed 3 o,clock.
Then the waves are crammed together so tight its hard to tell how many waves there really are, let alone making reliable wave selections.

I contacted ALM, and they said because the behavior is consistent on all four wave controls, it must be functioning correctly, but this would be noted to the code-writer.

SO - do the wave controls on your ACs behave in this manner?
Thanks!

DiesIraeDisArray
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DiesIraeDisArray » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:50 pm

OR do I go this way since I already own the DSI OB-6...

OB6 or P6 to complement Pro2, Tempest and Moog Sub37 :
http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/i ... 390.0.html

and miss the chance of doing FM synthesis with the Oberheim TVP('Primary Priority Purchase')

<Just found this thread this week/yesterday*//>

Jtalton
Common Wiggler

Post by Jtalton » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:12 pm

this thread is about the Akemies Castle and what people are doing with it.
DiesIraeDisArray wrote:OR do I go this way since I already own the DSI OB-6...

OB6 or P6 to complement Pro2, Tempest and Moog Sub37 :
http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/i ... 390.0.html

and miss the chance of doing FM synthesis with the Oberheim TVP('Primary Priority Purchase')

<Just found this thread this week/yesterday*//>

DiesIraeDisArray
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DiesIraeDisArray » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Turboblast wrote:The "bigger landscape" is pure modular. Just realizing this is an ALM thread. Maybe start with an akemies castle, vcas, filter, sample and hold, clock, envalope, and some lfos, and abandon all the Roland remake boxs. They don't sound that great anyway.

It looks like I would be able to do this (/with Akemie's Castle) from your list of neccesary compilation of gear/ingr. :
Macbeth Elements, Oberheim TVP, Moog Sub37, Arturia Matrixbrute, and Odytron (I would most likely be looking at, but I would some mostly like to turn OBTVP into a Polyphonic synth and would look like...)

Roland JDxi and Akemie's Castle can make this possible and/or Arturia Keystep/
OR is there another way to make Modular synths polyphonic(/w different filter types...???)?
OR do Modular synths play polyphonically regardless (Chord = CV amount <Hz/Volt>?)

Other relevant threads I am reading into:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... lters.html
http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/i ... 90.20.html

This helps narrow down my decision much better. Thank you Turboblast

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:55 pm

DiesIraeDisArray wrote:
Turboblast wrote:The "bigger landscape" is pure modular. Just realizing this is an ALM thread. Maybe start with an akemies castle, vcas, filter, sample and hold, clock, envalope, and some lfos, and abandon all the Roland remake boxs. They don't sound that great anyway.

It looks like I would be able to do this (/with Akemie's Castle) from your list of neccesary compilation of gear/ingr. :
Macbeth Elements, Oberheim TVP, Moog Sub37, Arturia Matrixbrute, and Odytron (I would most likely be looking at, but I would some mostly like to turn OBTVP into a Polyphonic synth and would look like...)

Roland JDxi and Akemie's Castle can make this possible and/or Arturia Keystep/
OR is there another way to make Modular synths polyphonic(/w different filter types...???)?
OR do Modular synths play polyphonically regardless (Chord = CV amount <Hz/Volt>?)

Other relevant threads I am reading into:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... lters.html
http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/i ... 90.20.html

This helps narrow down my decision much better. Thank you Turboblast
Dude stop polluting this thread. Create your own

DiesIraeDisArray
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DiesIraeDisArray » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:17 pm

MATSmile wrote:
DiesIraeDisArray wrote:
Turboblast wrote: The "..."
Dude stop polluting this thread. Create your own
The Question I had was, does the "Chord" work across other Modular Gear?????

Knights Who Say Neve
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:01 pm

orlog24 wrote:may be a stupid question, but whats the best way to get a Bell sound out of Akemies castle?
used to easily with a DX, but for some reason I am having trouble with Akemies. Maybe its just my use of a VCA?

Ed
Bell tones come from setting the ratios to fractions to get overtones outside the harmonic series. The operator multipliers of the Akemie's Castle are locked to whole numbers so there are a lot of traditional FM tones that it can't do. That may be your issue.

venus_3036
Common Wiggler

Post by venus_3036 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 am

Does anyone find tuning with the fine tune quite difficult? I find these knobs a bit stiff and hard to dial in exactly to, say, C.. very easy to be a few cents off... or one small turn going from say -8cents to +4cents..
Any tips for how to make it a little bit more smooth?

Ptbarnum
Common Wiggler

Post by Ptbarnum » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:51 am

venus_3036 wrote:Does anyone find tuning with the fine tune quite difficult? I find these knobs a bit stiff and hard to dial in exactly to, say, C.. very easy to be a few cents off... or one small turn going from say -8cents to +4cents..
Any tips for how to make it a little bit more smooth?
Same here, I’ve learned to live with it and combine delicate turns of the coarse and fine knobs to get there

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:10 am

try the "knob tap" where you just gentle tap the knob to get very small and fine movements. Doesn't work on mini pots.

You could also try using an offset generator mixed in a unity mixer with your 1v/oct to try and get finer tune control.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

shulgin
1-Post Wiggler

Post by shulgin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:53 am

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:
orlog24 wrote:may be a stupid question, but whats the best way to get a Bell sound out of Akemies castle?
used to easily with a DX, but for some reason I am having trouble with Akemies. Maybe its just my use of a VCA?

Ed
Bell tones come from setting the ratios to fractions to get overtones outside the harmonic series. The operator multipliers of the Akemie's Castle are locked to whole numbers so there are a lot of traditional FM tones that it can't do. That may be your issue.
I've bought the Akemie's Castle wanting bell sounds but was somewhat disapointed.
Now I've added an "FM Aid" , with the OSC A and OSC B from the Castle as carrier en modulator and the results are much nicer. More like the Yamaha DX sound I was looking for. :party:

davidu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by davidu » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:52 am

Oo interesting! Can you record some video and show how you use it?
shulgin wrote:
Knights Who Say Neve wrote:

Ed
I've bought the Akemie's Castle wanting bell sounds but was somewhat disapointed.
Now I've added an "FM Aid" , with the OSC A and OSC B from the Castle as carrier en modulator and the results are much nicer. More like the Yamaha DX sound I was looking for. :party:
Last edited by davidu on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

alanza
Common Wiggler

Post by alanza » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:52 am

re: Bell tones, I wonder if one couldn't just use a wave with a really discontinous shape at high multiplier as a modulator to get those inharmonic overtones? I guess then it probably wouldn't sound exactly like a DX, but the whole point of getting a YMF262 instrument is that it's FM but not quite DX7 FM
"I always thought that the DX was potentially a warm instrument... Lots of people felt otherwise." —Dave Bristow

Paxxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paxxx » Sun May 06, 2018 3:15 pm

Hello guys, do you have an audible noise in the akemies?? I feel mine is too much noisy, sometimes is cool that noise and with a Lpf it's fixable... but wondering if you have the same noise from the oscilator?

Cheers :)

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:57 am

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:13 am

Paxxx wrote:Hello guys, do you have an audible noise in the akemies?? I feel mine is too much noisy, sometimes is cool that noise and with a Lpf it's fixable... but wondering if you have the same noise from the oscilator?

Cheers :)
no noise here, using a linear power supply- Doepfer PSU2.

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:29 am

That's wicked-sounding, thetwlo (!) -- how did you get such wicked sounds / animation?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”