New Doepfer Power Supply A-100PSU3

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

youkon
frequency research department

Post by youkon » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:16 am

I would never have imagined that I run out of power with the psu3, but I actually did!
I have a large system. 1 psu3 per 2 rows of approximately 104 HP.
Now my mixing part of the system seems to be the most power hungry part.
Installed more filters, then this suddenly happened after some hours:

[video][/video]

video is so short because I better wanted to power down the system :-D
what you see is constant flickering of the led's from different modules. All at the same time.
5V led on the doepfer busboard blinking as well, -12V led off.

I then checked modulargrid:
Power Consumption: 1553 mA +12V | 1598 mA -12V | 0 mA 5V

too much need for -12V!!! damn!!!!!
don't know what to do now..... of course I could spread them over my whole system, but I want to keep them toghether.
Perhaps a tiny extra psu inside the case for the wmd performance mixer?

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:36 am

It's more likely your tube module. They eat up power like no tomorrow.

Plugler
Common Wiggler

Post by Plugler » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:53 am

Hi,

how hot will the PSU3 get, if only using less then 1/2 of the max. power?

I'm thinking about putting one into an external self-build wooden case as "external power supply".
And connecting it with a 84HP skiff via XLR connectors.
In this way, I don't need a front powered PSU like e.g. "Tiptop Audio - uZeus", and will not waste precious HPs.

Will the long +12/-12/5V connection produce noise or other problems?
I would use a good 4x1,0mm cable like this:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/jaeger_h07rn_f_4_x_10_mm.htm

youkon
frequency research department

Post by youkon » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:13 pm

Shledge wrote:It's more likely your tube module. They eat up power like no tomorrow.
btw: I've put that module now into another case and the problem disappeared

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:42 pm

Plugler
Edit: I didn't check out the cable you showed. Are you planning on using the barrel on the XLR for ground or are you using a 4-pin XLR? Manny XLR connectors internally connect the barrel to the center pin with the screw that locks the connector together.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Plugler
Common Wiggler

Post by Plugler » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:24 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:Plugler
Edit: I didn't check out the cable you showed. Are you planning on using the barrel on the XLR for ground or are you using a 4-pin XLR? Manny XLR connectors internally connect the barrel to the center pin with the screw that locks the connector together.
I have just discovered your message. :confused:

I've planned to use 4-pin XLR for this. As I always use 4-pin XLR for connecting power at my Eurorack cases. To prevent problems with normal audio XLR. :hihi:

But I've changed my plans. I've built recently my planned skiff, but instead of a fully external PSU I've used a small internal PSU: "Microbus DIY" from Frequency Central.
That delivers enough power for my modules: ~750mA at +/-12V and 100mA at +5V

Here are further details and photos of my new skiff:
viewtopic.php?p=2990982#2990982

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Re: New Doepfer Power Supply A-100PSU3

Post by Mr. Aloud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:08 pm

I´m getting more and more tempted to get Monster Base as my next case, but I don´t like the internal PSU.

- I´ve been running into power limitations with another case already and don´t want ever see that again
- Internal PSU will add to the heat generated by the modules. Fans are out of the question.
- There is probably not enough room to add a 3rd PSU-3 should I decide to need one

Which brings me to the question: Are there any decent solutions to have a "PSU-3 power brick", preferably metal casing for better heat dissipation? Preferably not in the ACL power bar price range, because then I could pick one of those instead ^^.
I´m happy when it rains - for if I´m not happy, it rains as well.

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:10 pm

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:08 pm
I´m getting more and more tempted to get Monster Base as my next case, but I don´t like the internal PSU.

- I´ve been running into power limitations with another case already and don´t want ever see that again
- Internal PSU will add to the heat generated by the modules. Fans are out of the question.
- There is probably not enough room to add a 3rd PSU-3 should I decide to need one

Which brings me to the question: Are there any decent solutions to have a "PSU-3 power brick", preferably metal casing for better heat dissipation? Preferably not in the ACL power bar price range, because then I could pick one of those instead ^^.
These power supplies don't get hot. Your modules are probably generating more heat than the PSU-3. As long as you have A/C, you have nothing to worry about in that regard.

I've added some pretty hungry modules to my Dopefer case, 78deg F maintained keeps everything cool even after leaving these cases on for over 24 hours.

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:05 pm

Now that is good news! Easy to build an external case then or - if space permits - put them inside the rack. Thanks for pointing that out!
I´m happy when it rains - for if I´m not happy, it rains as well.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”