New Doepfer Power Supply A-100PSU3

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

HIMA
Ultra Wiggler

Post by HIMA » Fri May 20, 2016 9:34 am

I don't think it exceed spec. I was way under at 1300. I had thought I perhaps had knocked the cable for my trogotronic out. I ran it on an external psu, but even if that suddenly started pulling power, i'd still only be at around 1800... though I might have surged the box through the power inlet? Surely if I had the fuses would have blown?

Guess theres nothing to do but buy another one. I'm addicted to power and can't go back to my PSU2.
The Book of Bad Ideas - A compendium of knowledge from Muffs. Download it here: http://bit.ly/1oz2zaI

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Fri May 20, 2016 8:07 pm

Oh...the Trogotronic m/277!? That might have caused becoming immediately disconnected from it's PSU? I have one as well, and when I upgraded to the PSU3 it worked fine without the external PSU. But I went back to the external PSU to reserve current draw on the PSU3. And I've never accidentally disconnected the m/277 PSU.

To save money, and if you're handy with a desoldering gun/soldering iron, you might want to try replacing the Mean Well power on the PSU3 board. I did exactly this with a faulty Mean Well +5V and it worked perfectly after.

oinkbanana
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oinkbanana » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:37 am

use the 250v fuse, it'll do the same job. "fuse don't protect for over voltages/"
Last edited by oinkbanana on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magma2008
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Magma2008 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:13 pm

I was wondering if someone could help me with my PSU issue? I installed a Dopefer PSU3 into my case and it doesn't work. I posted about it already on here viewtopic.php?t=164577&highlight= :sadbanana:

realitycontrol
Common Wiggler

Post by realitycontrol » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:03 am

What sort of heat does this PSU kick out?

I would like to replace the uZeus in my DIY suitcase and am eyeing this up. Just a little worried about the amount of heat it may produce when located directly underneath a bunch of modules.

Alternatively, would it be a viable option to install one of these PSU's into an external case and feed the power into bus boards located within the case via an XLR cable?

chiavere
Common Wiggler

Post by chiavere » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi -

I'm curious if anyone who has upgraded their PSU2 to the new PSU3 have feedback on performance differences other than the obvious power and +5V gains – does it run cooler? quieter? Have you noticed less cross-talk noise between modules, LFOs, etc.?

I'm considering upgrading my PSU2 cases, but more power isn't reason enough for me at this point (I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mode...).

Thanks for any info you might provide!

Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:51 pm

chiavere wrote:Hi -

I'm curious if anyone who has upgraded their PSU2 to the new PSU3 have feedback on performance differences other than the obvious power and +5V gains – does it run cooler? quieter? Have you noticed less cross-talk noise between modules, LFOs, etc.?
Do you have those issues with your PSU2?

chiavere
Common Wiggler

Post by chiavere » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:56 pm

Not really, but I did recently shuffle one case and was getting weird clicks from Maths in an audio signal - I haven't had time to troubleshoot it, so I can't point to a culprit yet.

Just curious if anyone has noted another benefit to the upgrade other than more available power.

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:11 pm

It runs noticeably cooler than my PSU2, which was near-capacity, did.

simsir
Learning to Wiggle

Post by simsir » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:49 am

realitycontrol wrote:What sort of heat does this PSU kick out?

I would like to replace the uZeus in my DIY suitcase and am eyeing this up. Just a little worried about the amount of heat it may produce when located directly underneath a bunch of modules.

Alternatively, would it be a viable option to install one of these PSU's into an external case and feed the power into bus boards located within the case via an XLR cable?
i am wondering exactly the same. have someone tried any of the two and can provide more info?

jordanb
Common Wiggler

Post by jordanb » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:22 am

Studio-ES wrote:
monads wrote:
Natsche wrote:Does someone received it and was able to test/use it ?

I am curious about the fuse. Is there something we should know before ordering it ?
Yes, I have successfully installed/tested one already! About to do another this weekend. It comes with the required fuses!! Now I have some important tips for those with older a-100g6 cases (power switch located on back via snap-in) as it's NOT a direct drop-in replacement for this case!!! Perhaps a direct drop-in replacement in a-100g6 cases where the power switch is mounted via screws, but I have not confirmed this. So in the former example, you will have to drill new holes into your a-100g6 cases to mount properly. You will also have to correctly supply the 5V wires to power that source...I will share pictures later this evening to help others!
Thanks for the great writeup and photos.
So this comes with the 1600mA fuse to replace the 800mA fuse in the power outlet box? And I'm assuming that the additional fuse on the PSU is already in place? Trying to figure out what other parts I'll need to order. I'll probably wait to add the +5V wires and just continue to use my Make Noise +5V adapters, as long as it's safe. Don't see why not, but advise would be appreciated just in case.
About to order one from Detroit Modular for my A-100P9. Will have an old A-100PSU2 available soon too, if anyone is interested.
Studio-Es I live in Kaneohe and we should get together and talk modular! Just ordered three Psu3s and am building a new custom case but don't know anyone else who's into eurorack a et cetera on island!

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Is a semi loud click sound normal when powering the p9 psu3 case off?

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:51 am

droningsphagettimonster wrote:Is a semi loud click sound normal when powering the p9 psu3 case off?
A click from the power supply, or within the audio path?

jordanb
Common Wiggler

Post by jordanb » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Power Supply
Can anyone tell me if this power entry will work with the PSU3? I am not wiring the components just mounting them and having a certified electrician buddy hook them up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:31 pm

jordanb wrote:Power Supply
Can anyone tell me if this power entry will work with the PSU3? I am not wiring the components just mounting them and having a certified electrician buddy hook them up.
Yeah, but the company "uxcell" is infamous for importing and selling shitty quality Chinese crap. Spend a few bux more and get a nice filtered switched power inlet from Mouser or another distributor.

jordanb
Common Wiggler

Post by jordanb » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:51 pm

SynthBaron wrote:
Yeah, but the company "uxcell" is infamous for importing and selling shitty quality Chinese crap. Spend a few bux more and get a nice filtered switched power inlet from Mouser or another distributor.
Okay will return and heed advice.

I'm still a bit confused though...do I only need one power entry for three PSU3s?...or 3 separate power entries.
This is tough cause I am so inexperienced. My buddy told me to research the parts I need...mount then and he will wire them...but I'm struggling to decipher what exactly I need?
I'm on mouser but it's like reading a different language. Do I need a 250v power entry or 115v? All help VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

jordanb
Common Wiggler

Post by jordanb » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:56 pm

SynthBaron wrote:
Okay will return and heed advice.

I'm still a bit confused though...do I only need one power entry for three PSU3s?...or 3 separate power entries.
This is tough cause I am so inexperienced. My buddy told me to research the parts I need...mount then and he will wire them...but I'm struggling to decipher what exactly I need?
I'm on mouser but it's like reading a different language. Do I need a 250v power entry or 115v? All help VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

jordanb
Common Wiggler

Post by jordanb » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:56 pm

jordanb
Common Wiggler

Post by jordanb » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:57 pm

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:17 pm

One is fine, even at full load on all 3 power supplies you should be drawing less than 3 amps AC. 250v is just a maximum rating, you can use 115 or 250.

I would probably go with this if you wanted a similar snap-in style mounting for your case like the original part you provided:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE- ... /PS0SXSBX0
Last edited by SynthBaron on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:20 pm

jordanb wrote:http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductD ... PkuYT0A%3d does this look like it would work?
If you want the more robust screw/bolt mounting ears like that, this is a different version of the same part I linked with them:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE- ... /PE0S0SBX0
Last edited by SynthBaron on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:30 pm

And you still have to select and buy your own fuse to install, even with the original uxcell product.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:45 pm

FYI, I went back and updated the part numbers to a more robust 10amp rating on the filtering. Just how much amperage AC the Doepfer supplies are actually drawing is kind of a mystery, better to be safe...and they actually end up being less expensive...

jordanb
Common Wiggler

Post by jordanb » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:00 pm

SynthBaron wrote:And you still have to select and buy your own fuse to install, even with the original uxcell product.
Fuse thanks synth baron!
Btw here is the fuse I ordered hope it's the right one!

jordanb
Common Wiggler

Post by jordanb » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:07 pm

Also Synth Baron...if I am using one mains inlet...do you know what type of terminal strip would work best to distribute the power to three separate psu3 supplies? And of course, thanks so much for your help. My buddy who is wiring this all up for me is already doing me a favor I just want to make sure I get the right stuff the first time! :hail:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”