New Doepfer Power Supply A-100PSU3

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Hezza11 wrote:I run a fair amount of Mutables stuff and its fine. I think digital either works or it doesn't where as analogue modules would be more susceptible to power variations.
Good to hear your MI stuff is performing well. Though, I personally have experienced issues with certain power supplies and digital modules. One PSU I have exhibits a ton of noise which is absent with only analog modules. I've also read posts from others where their digital modules just did not work with certain power supplies.

Before I commit to a new case with the Doepfer PSU-3 I wanted to know how it would work. So thanks for your feedback. If anyone else has anything to add I'd be happy to hear.

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:52 am

Is there an advantage of having a power inlet with a switch vs. without a switch?
My ginko case has a hole but it's too small for a connector with switch..

sromanel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sromanel » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:20 pm

evs wrote:Is there an advantage of having a power inlet with a switch vs. without a switch?
I believe it's just a matter of ease of use, as long as there's a fuse

Hezza11
Common Wiggler

Post by Hezza11 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:40 pm

Yep I don't think it'll make any difference technically, though it'd be nice to have a switch somewhere (wallsocket?) to save having to pull the cable in and out constantly. Plus I always seem to get you get loads of crackling/sparking when I plug those leads in...

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:10 pm

sromanel wrote:
evs wrote:Is there an advantage of having a power inlet with a switch vs. without a switch?
I believe it's just a matter of ease of use, as long as there's a fuse
ah, so there are inlets without a switch but with a fuse..?
thats good.

morphlex
Common Wiggler

Post by morphlex » Mon May 01, 2017 4:12 pm

I ran into the same issue. I decided to cut that hole bigger to fit my inlet/switch (w/fuse).

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Mon May 01, 2017 11:16 pm

I got my psu3 now. there is one thing I don't get. Mine has 4 fuses. 2 installed and 2 in a small plastic bag.
But in this thread there's a good amount of people discussing where and which fuse to buy..
Did doepfer change something there? Or is the whole discussion about the fuse you need for the inlet?

Hezza11
Common Wiggler

Post by Hezza11 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:36 am

If you're on 240v, use 800mA in the IEC inlet. The fuse in the green holder on the PSU3 board stays with what it came installed with (1.6A)

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue May 02, 2017 6:18 am

dysonant wrote:Is anyone using this PSU with a lot of digital modules? Like mostly digital? If yes, what has your experience been like? Any nasty noise or incompatibility issues?
I am, and I can say I have no issues or noise when it comes to digital modules. Really clean outputs.

The only issue I had was my ladik stereo panner exhibiting RF noise, but that would be an issue with any unshielded module near a switching PSU. Either that or it was a lemon, since nobody seems to have that issue. :S

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Tue May 02, 2017 12:24 pm

morphlex wrote:
I ran into the same issue. I decided to cut that hole bigger to fit my inlet/switch (w/fuse).
I saw that even inlets without a switch but with a fuse seem to be too big for the ginko case hole..:-)
Or am inoverseeing something there? The fuse seem to make it much bigger!

How did you cut that hole bigger?

LeRAW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LeRAW » Wed May 03, 2017 7:05 am

I am considering a Doepfer A-100PSU3 for power a suitcase. I can’t find the measurement of this unit.
Can someone please post the measurement? Thanks

morphlex
Common Wiggler

Post by morphlex » Wed May 03, 2017 9:10 am

LeRAW wrote:I am considering a Doepfer A-100PSU3 for power a suitcase. I can’t find the measurement of this unit.
Can someone please post the measurement? Thanks
Found it on Doepfer's site. Was an easy Google search. :roll:

Dimensions: ~ 200 mm (lenght) x 80 mm (width) x 40 mm (height)

http://www.doepfer.de/a100z_e.htm

morphlex
Common Wiggler

Post by morphlex » Wed May 03, 2017 9:23 am

evs wrote:How did you cut that hole bigger?
I used a dremel. You could use a Keyhole Saw or a Wallboard Saw. The latter are cheap. Use a drill to define your corners.

what gives?
Common Wiggler

Post by what gives? » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:17 am

I am planning to get a LC9 case with a fitted PSU3. However, i am a bit bummed by the inlet placement on the back, so my plan is to fit a new inlet on one of the sides. I want to be able to have the case lie flat on a desk.

I've been trying to find info about the PSU3, in order to find out whether i can move the inlet and simply rewire the power cables to the board. For those of you who own one, would a refit and rewiring be possible, or is another solution required in your opinion? I can't seem to find a clear image of what it looks like underneath.

DMR
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DMR » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:54 am

what gives? wrote:I am planning to get a LC9 case with a fitted PSU3. However, i am a bit bummed by the inlet placement on the back, so my plan is to fit a new inlet on one of the sides. I want to be able to have the case lie flat on a desk.

I've been trying to find info about the PSU3, in order to find out whether i can move the inlet and simply rewire the power cables to the board. For those of you who own one, would a refit and rewiring be possible, or is another solution required in your opinion? I can't seem to find a clear image of what it looks like underneath.
It doesn't answer your question, but you could use a right angle IEC cable, and then just elevate it an inch or so to leave enough room. It would allow you to keep the case horizontal without having to modify it.

what gives?
Common Wiggler

Post by what gives? » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:59 am

DMR wrote:It doesn't answer your question, but you could use a right angle IEC cable, and then just elevate it an inch or so to leave enough room. It would allow you to keep the case horizontal without having to modify it.
Yeah i know. That's my plan B, actually.

stylesforfree
Common Wiggler

Post by stylesforfree » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:19 pm

Does anyone have a step by step guide of wiring up the doepfer PSU3?

What IEC cable to use concerning the plugs AMP, extra heatsink/protection cage etc?

Thanks.

taichber
Common Wiggler

Post by taichber » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:34 pm

stylesforfree wrote:Does anyone have a step by step guide of wiring up the doepfer PSU3?

What IEC cable to use concerning the plugs AMP, extra heatsink/protection cage etc?

Thanks.
http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A100PSU3_wiring.pdf

stylesforfree
Common Wiggler

Post by stylesforfree » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:57 pm

thanks taichber, can anyone link me to a suitable IEC inlet with a switch on mouser or such?....and does the psu3 come with a cover?

taichber
Common Wiggler

Post by taichber » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:27 pm

stylesforfree wrote:thanks taichber, can anyone link me to a suitable IEC inlet with a switch on mouser or such?....and does the psu3 come with a cover?
I use this one

http://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Schu ... CM4SJJdw==

Note you need a power entry module and a fuse as well. Check the Schurter description.

stylesforfree
Common Wiggler

Post by stylesforfree » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:44 am

taichber wrote:
stylesforfree wrote:thanks taichber, can anyone link me to a suitable IEC inlet with a switch on mouser or such?....and does the psu3 come with a cover?
I use this one

Note you need a power entry module and a fuse as well. Check the Schurter description.
Sorry, I cant find the description, why do you need a power entry module?

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:51 am

edit: nvm confusing nomenclature

taichber
Common Wiggler

Post by taichber » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:20 am

stylesforfree wrote:
taichber wrote:
I use this one

Sorry, I cant find the description, why do you need a power entry module?
the link to the details is in the product description:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/358/typ_KM-1141360.pdf

stylesforfree
Common Wiggler

Post by stylesforfree » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:29 pm

So does the PSU3 come with a shielding/ mains protection cover?

Also...I have gathered I need to buy the following to wire up the power supply:

IEC inlet
Fuse,
Ground wire
14 gauge electrical wire
Terminal connectors.

Anything else?

tcbilly
Common Wiggler

Post by tcbilly » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:31 am

The PSU3 doesn't have a cover included! It only comes with some screws and two fuses for the psu. But you can buy the cover separatly from Doepfer or build one yourself from wood e.g.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”