New Doepfer Power Supply A-100PSU3

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Hello Muff!

I'm about to receive the last piece to complete this PSU3 system.

I have a (newbie) question, what are the advantages having the PSU in another case? Can any modules react to electric field (if there any!)?
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

maaaks
Common Wiggler

Post by maaaks » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Jaypee wrote: Can any modules react to electric field (if there any!)?
Aside from a spring reverb tank picking noise from the PSU I don't think it should affect anything.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:14 pm

Modules can be sensitive to it if not properly protected, mainly because switching supplies output EMI. Thankfully this isn't an issue for the vast majority of modules.

I've had this issue with a ladik module - in my PSU3 case, it was incredibly noisy depending on where you put it, put it into my PSU2 case and the noise completely went away. The noise even changed if I put my hand near it, almost like it was acting like an antenna. When I contacted ladik, it was claimed that it's likely down to the PSU3 emitting EMI. I've had other ladik modules since and they're completely noise free regardless of PSU, so I'm thinking the module in question was partially faulty?

Again, it's not a massive issue. The PSU3 outputs fairly clean power so you won't get noise at all in a normal module.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:44 am

jordanb wrote:Image
Quick question: my buddy is coming over soon to wire the mains power supplies for my three PSU3s tomorrow, but since my new case is totally acrylic...where will he ground it? There's nothing metal but the rails. Do I need to add a small square of metal somewhere...and will aluminum work?
I want to have everything ready so there's no hold up.
Same here, my case is made of wood.

I don't get the Doepfer diagram and GND connection:

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A100PSU3_wiring.pdf

Can it be connected it this way? :

I use couple of Deeper DIY KIT #1 and didn't have to be worried about it but the PSU3 is another story...I need...[/img] :help: :help: :help: :help:

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:49 am

This option makes more sens no?

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:02 am

I'm having a :bang: moment here.

for the record, here is the wiring doc:

I connected everything right- I think(?!)...

Put he 800mA fuse into it...

Cabled the bus board

PS: I connected the brown cable (on the right on the 1st pic) to the GND on Bus board, instead of making summing point for all GND's.

...and nothing! What am I doing wrong here? :confused:

gringz
Common Wiggler

Post by gringz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:41 am

i'm trying to do it as well i'd appreciate SO MUCH your help here guys

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:46 am

gringz wrote:i'm trying to do it as well i'd appreciate SO MUCH your help here guys
Bienvenue au club.

I think my problem comes from the switch.

It works fine when using without it.

...Will report later.

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:49 am

Jaypee wrote: What am I doing wrong here?
Everything. For a start you are obviously not used to wiring mains and need somebody around to prevent you getting a Darwin Award.

Your crimping is appalling. There should not be exposed wires sticking out of the connector. The others do not look properly pressed, there are usually some depressions from the tool on the insulated part. Get the proper ratchet crimp tool, they only cost about $25.
Use a green wire for the Ground in the US, green/yellow anywhere else. Choosing your own arbitrary colours is asking for trouble later.

The reason that you have nothing working is the wiring on the back of the mains inlet. The fuse is fixed wired to the Live pin, but the other end of the fuse has to be explicitly wired to the switch. Check the switch first with a continuity meter to work out the tabs to use.

Do NOT use that type of terminal on the inlet, you have exposed Live and Neutral mains. Either use shrouded terminals or get a rubber boot to cover the whole back of the inlet. There are a variety of sizes to match different inlet styles. Better still use an inlet with all the wiring pre-done and enclosed.

The Doepfer wiring diagram is wrong, this has been discussed before on several threads. The place that should be grounded is the 0V of your distribution (incorrectly called GND), not the common of the PSU (incorrectly called GND). Com and 0V are connected together still, but the Ground wire does not go on the PSU end because of the voltage drop along that wire.
Last edited by Graham Hinton on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

gringz
Common Wiggler

Post by gringz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:58 am

i have the exact same power inlet, i'll tell you if i get something thanks to Graham Hinton's help!!

gringz
Common Wiggler

Post by gringz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:41 pm

Soooooo, am i doing this right?
Image[/img]

gringz
Common Wiggler

Post by gringz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:08 pm

Ok so yeah it works.
a HUGE thanks to Stefan from Clicks&Clocks that helped me through the wiring process and from whom i bought a lot of stuff recently (rails, side pannels, all my wires and connectors, the power inlet etc...) this guy is awesome.
only thing is on these pictures you should switch the in and out going wires from the switch, apprears it does not damage anything (tested myself) just the switch light will always be on if you do it as i did on the pictures

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:47 pm

gringz wrote:Soooooo, am i doing this right?
This would not pass a safety test.

Four points:
1) Use the correct colours for mains wires. In Europe Live = brown and Neutral = blue. You have used blue for Live.
2) Push the terminals right down so that there are no exposed parts of the tabs showing.
3) The Earth terminal on the pcb just connects to the Com terminal via a pcb trace. It is not used as a protective ground by the Meanwell modules.
Don't connect the inlet Earth here. Connect the inlet Earth directly to a "Gnd" terminal on your distribution board with a wire capable of carrying 25A.
4) There are tabs on the pcb for daisy chaining the mains to other boards. If you are not using them put a shrouded terminal on them so that they can't be touched by accident.

Small details, but they may be life saving small details and not necessarily your life.

gringz
Common Wiggler

Post by gringz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:29 pm

okokok thanks,
but i've turned it on like so and it worked fine.. i'm not saying i won't follow your advices (because i will for sure) but i'll have to go play music at a friends tonight, can i go like this and deal with what you said tomorrow or do i risk bad news..? (as it's not a perfect setup i will make triple sure to be extra careful)

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:15 pm

gringz wrote: but i've turned it on like so and it worked fine..
People always say that when what they really mean is "it barely worked".
i'm not saying i won't follow your advices (because i will for sure) but i'll have to go play music at a friends tonight, can i go like this and deal with what you said tomorrow or do i risk bad news..? (as it's not a perfect setup i will make triple sure to be extra careful)
As long as the case has no openings for hands, cats or cables to get in you should be safe. Assuming that the mains outlets are Earthed and all the equipment you connect to meets safety requirements. You may have poor results it you try crosspatching with other synths, that's what the 0V grounding point is all about.

youkon
frequency research department

Post by youkon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:55 am

@gringz:

from doepfer:

ImageA100 PSU3 Wiring by wellenreiter2011, auf Flickr

Nino
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nino » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:58 am

[edit: question obsolete :sb:]

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:41 pm

Has anyone put this PSU on a scope? The ripple/noise specs for the MW switchers are 200mVp-p. I'm curious what this PSU's output looks like.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:19 am

attacca wrote:Has anyone put this PSU on a scope? The ripple/noise specs for the MW switchers are 200mVp-p. I'm curious what this PSU's output looks like.
Curious myself - Doepfer were wary of switchers for quite some time because of ripple/noise issues, so I wonder how this has been managed.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:17 pm

Does anyone own a Doepfer A-100PMS12 monster case?
If so, how do you like it?
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Mon May 21, 2018 3:45 am

Tonefloat01 wrote:Does anyone own a Doepfer A-100PMS12 monster case?
If so, how do you like it?
Can't really go wrong with it - PSU3 is pretty decent overall from my own experience. Doepfer cases are quite solid overall.

stylesforfree
Common Wiggler

Post by stylesforfree » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:37 pm

Ok, so its been 8 months and the power supply is working well. But I have a problem with the 800mA fuses I am using in the IEC inlet. I have gone through 10 in the past 8 months. They blow every so often so I need to replace them. this happens maybe 1 out of 20 times of turning it on. Is this normal for fuses to blow as often as this in the IEC inlet? there's no loud bang or pop. Just a quick flash of lights on my modular. Pop some new fuses in and its fine for a while.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Are you using a slow blow fuse?

six_minds
Common Wiggler

Post by six_minds » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:06 pm

For what it's worth- I also had that problem with my Doepfer cases when I lived in the UK. There was a top-up power plan at the house and the fuses went out relatively often...

Since being back in continental Europe for many years, I have not had that problem a single time...
stylesforfree wrote:Ok, so its been 8 months and the power supply is working well. But I have a problem with the 800mA fuses I am using in the IEC inlet. I have gone through 10 in the past 8 months. They blow every so often so I need to replace them. this happens maybe 1 out of 20 times of turning it on. Is this normal for fuses to blow as often as this in the IEC inlet? there's no loud bang or pop. Just a quick flash of lights on my modular. Pop some new fuses in and its fine for a while.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Likely bad house wiring then, or a place where there's a lot of power surges. I live in the UK and haven't had an issue with either my PSU2 or PSU3 cases.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”