MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

bfessler
Common Wiggler

Post by bfessler » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:41 pm

nangu wrote:Sounds like there are some great improvements in the pipeline- thanks!!

There have been some requests for aluminum Data panels that would match standard Metalphoto-style panels over in the Grayscale thread, and it was suggested that people should request them directly from you instead..

My friends and I have 4 Datas, and we'd be up for buying aluminum panels if you do a run of them..
The tricky thing with DATA panels is that the display, display window, and the circuit board standoff headers are all permanently attached to it, so it's not a simple thing to switch out. The front panel is a lot of stuff, all assembled by hand.
:hmm:
Probably we wouldn't be just selling raw panels for conversion like Greyscale, but rather we'd make a batch of complete units with the alternate panel already installed, and maybe offer an in-house conversion, with a service fee, for folks wanting to send in their existing units for modification.

Anyways, the panel variations are something we've been considering for awhile, but it's more of a fun project idea, not mission-critical like production runs, firmware updates, and new module designs. If we had an industrial design intern, or were a bigger operation with some employees that could have their own projects, then we could move on it no problem, but that's not the case right now. If we do go forward with DATA panel variations it won't be for at least the next 6 months, as we're totally slammed (oh man, I can't wait to show you all what we've been working on, it's nuts!!!)
:nana:

But it is good to get an idea of interest in panels and colors, the feedback is appreciated, thanks nangu!
:tu:
MORDAX - Modular Synthesis Systems

www.mordax.net

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:13 am

Ah- I hadn’t realized that a panel swap would be so difficult.

Looking forward to seeing the new modules! :tu:

spinalbeatz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by spinalbeatz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:26 pm

Am I missing something or is there no way to adjust PPQN when using the External Clock?

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Been umming and urring for quite some time about getting a euro scope vs trying to utilise a tablet for these duties and managed to snag a Data:

Loving it. I'm in that honey moon period where I'm analysing all sorts. Good job gents!
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

Wick
Common Wiggler

Post by Wick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:04 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:Been umming and urring for quite some time about getting a euro scope vs trying to utilise a tablet for these duties and managed to snag a Data:

Loving it. I'm in that honey moon period where I'm analysing all sorts. Good job gents!
very cool cant wait to get mine

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:32 pm

Couple of questions.

1. How warm does your Data get once they've been on for at say, 1hr?

2. A day of trouble shooting has revealed a couple strange things:
In voltage monitor mode, I noticed one channel (3) with a permanent 0.01V offset and the next channel (4) flickering between zero and 0.01V.
Both channels have nothing plugged into them. Any ideas?

Hale
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Hale » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:03 am

Just came across this module, looks amazing!

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:15 pm

Multi Grooves Mine has similar offsets too.... two channels are at 0.01V and the other two channels are at 0.02V...

Maybe a calibration would fix that... I don't use the voltage monitor much...So, it doesn't bother me really..... Shit, I still need to RTFM all the way through...

I would like to know more about how to use is monitor program.... Like why would I need to make precision offsets to thing in my modular (polyphony or quantizing maybe) or, what would be a neat trick to use this for?
My YouTuBe Page...
The patch you've created in your brain is more challenging to modify than the patch you have on your modular.

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:35 pm

Here is a good example of usage for this voltage monitor:

Dinko is a cool modular wizard... I'm awaiting his next videos... Super Heady!

[video][/video]
My YouTuBe Page...
The patch you've created in your brain is more challenging to modify than the patch you have on your modular.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:54 am

JakoGreyshire wrote:Multi Grooves Mine has similar offsets too.... two channels are at 0.01V and the other two channels are at 0.02V...

Maybe a calibration would fix that... I don't use the voltage monitor much...So, it doesn't bother me really..... Shit, I still need to RTFM all the way through...

I would like to know more about how to use is monitor program.... Like why would I need to make precision offsets to thing in my modular (polyphony or quantizing maybe) or, what would be a neat trick to use this for?

Mordax have done an amazing job in terms UI. I was a little hesitant about this because of the fear of excessive complexity. I worried there'd masses of confusing pages buried deep in there but NO. I've not read a single instruction manual related to this and I get it. It uses the screen space really well, everything is sharp and clear and logically laid out.

I just ran the self calibration and it is mostly sorted. My multi meter is pretty cheap though- I'd love to run it through something with more precision but it appears to have done the trick and the flickering has gone. The only outstanding error is on ch3 that is registering a .01V offset but again my multi meter may carry some of this blame?

I mentioned having an issue with my Voltage Block outputs elsewhere not hitting the 5V mark. Thanks to the Data, I was able to simply adjust the potentiometer on the circuit and bing! It is done. So I wonder how many modules are rolling off shelves not properly calibrated or with faults that we're not aware of? Like cases and power, being aware of calibrations is not the sexy side of eurorack but this module has made me think differently about such things and truly lives up to that possibly overused MW term "game changer". Well done guys.

sine language
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sine language » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:26 am

Could somebody please tell me if it is possible to sync (reset) or clock the LFO’s in this module?

dinosaurs
Common Wiggler

Post by dinosaurs » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:38 am

Mordax: any news on the availability of the next firmware update?

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:32 am

I just ordered a DATA and went to download the manual but, my employer which is my only internet access, has the manual blocked.
I can go to Mordax dot net, but can not download the manual.
Not sure what to do.
Anyone have an idea, like the manual on another hosting site.
Or, could someone email it to me?

I gotta get internet at home, somehow.

Foghorn
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Not really a musician.......

Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nightly Closures » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:38 am

PM your email address to me and I’ll email you the manual tonight.

mutate
Common Wiggler

Post by mutate » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:11 pm

sine language wrote:Could somebody please tell me if it is possible to sync (reset) or clock the LFO’s in this module?
Oh man this is what I was just going to request. This would make this so insane! PLEASE MORDAX!!!

GIVE US TEMPO SYNCED LFO's and the ability to RESET THEM:)

PLEASE!!!! I BEG YOU.
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to remove.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Post by funqpatrol » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:53 am

Could you guys please implement the folowwing work flow :

1- long press on channel to turn it on / off
2- Can the module load the last setting used (or at least being given that option)
3 - when you load setting and back to menu can you highlight the scope by default?

These are the 3 things that frustrate me with that module and should be really easy fixes. Thanks

Mostin77
Common Wiggler

Post by Mostin77 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:47 am

I’ve been wanting to buy a bench scope for a while now to calibrate,tune and generally check my DIY builds are outputting what they should be and decided to try out the data instead of getting a bench scope like a Rigol.

I’m now the proud owner of my first prebuilt module (other than the power supply) and spent all day yesterday testing, tuning and going through all the features of this module. I’m absolutely chuffed to bits and I have now realised I would like to add either another 2 or 3 more of these modules to my system or some digital oscillators and clock modules!

I just wanted to drop in here and show my appreciation of all the work that has gone into this module. Great stuff.

Would anyone please care to try explaining to me the function or differences between the different window types that are selectable in the spectrum analyser and spectrograph settings?

muffjuiggler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by muffjuiggler » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:20 am

so great

thank u

mantid
Common Wiggler

Post by mantid » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:09 pm

I've been loving DATA for a few months - it has certainly bolstered my understanding of how all kinds of signals in my system are working and has been an incredible boon for troubleshooting or understanding modules. I bought it for the oscilloscope but keep finding uses for all the other modes. Such nice work.

I would like to humbly cast in another vote for display persistence, especially in XY mode. Can't wait to see what Super Sloth is doing, especially while I am away.

Thanks!

wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wsy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:22 pm

Is there any chance for a firmware upgrade to fix the trigger bug in "normal" (i.e. abnormal) mode, so it doesn't put fake
vertical edges in your traces?

I forgot about it and spent a 20 minute panic last night trying to figure out what had gone "wrong" with a Kermit!

- Bill
"Life is short. But we can always buy longer patch cords" - Savage

wanne
Common Wiggler

Post by wanne » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:41 am

sometimes when i turn on my system the screen goes white with some stripes on it and the module doesnt boot up...
after restarting the power it boots up fine..
anyone with the same bug /problem ?
i use doepfer psu3 and have enough power left in the rack...so this should not be an issue...fw.is 1.02.02

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:08 pm

happen to me as well. Same PSU from doepfer.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Thu May 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Is it normal to see some noise in Oscilloscope when set to 0.1V scale with nothing patched? Spans about half a vertical division. Seems quite a lot.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wsy » Thu May 03, 2018 8:17 pm

pugix wrote:Is it normal to see some noise in Oscilloscope when set to 0.1V scale with nothing patched? Spans about half a vertical division. Seems quite a lot.
Mine does the same thing. I chalk it up to being a module "scope", not a lab grade instrument (and yes, it does it even
when patched with a pure DC low-impedance source like a dead short cable).

- Bill
"Life is short. But we can always buy longer patch cords" - Savage

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri May 04, 2018 12:20 am

As great as this module already is, I keep hoping Mordax will address the points wsy has made in this thread. He knows WTF he is talking about and it's hard not to believe that Mordax is missing many sales as a result.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”