MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

peterpanderretter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by peterpanderretter » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:10 pm

bfessler wrote:
peterpanderretter wrote:
Mr. Roboto wrote:Does anybody have any news regarding the new firmware? Can‘t find anything on their website but in May they mentioned that the new firmware will be available next month (which would have been June).
So maybe they faced a few issues during testing their new sequencer firmware?
Any news on that topic?
... the spectral program's revamp on this one too (
Hey bfessler,

thanks for that update!!

What does that mean? :woah:

cheers
p

Mawkeyz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mawkeyz » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:20 pm

peterpanderretter wrote:
bfessler wrote:
peterpanderretter wrote:
Mr. Roboto wrote:Does anybody have any news regarding the new firmware? Can‘t find anything on their website but in May they mentioned that the new firmware will be available next month (which would have been June).
So maybe they faced a few issues during testing their new sequencer firmware?
Any news on that topic?
... the spectral program's revamp on this one too (
Hey bfessler,

thanks for that update!!

p
+ 1

It's almost unheard of getting detailed status of a pending update. Much appreciated :tu:

novim
Common Wiggler

Post by novim » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:50 pm

A question for those who know a bit about scopes.

I'm very close to buying a Rigol 1054z or a Siglent 1052DL+. I'd use it to observe signals when wiggling and, over time, to learn to test and troubleshoot my DIY builds.

But because I'd very often be connecting it to my modular, and because I won't ever use all of the features in a proper bench scope, I've been giving the Mordax a second look.

So, in practical terms, how viable is the Data as a substitute for a bench scope for someone who wants to learn about, test, and troubleshoot analogue audio circuits?

Thanks

SuperNiCd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SuperNiCd » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:05 pm

I have both a 1054z and a DATA. The 1054z has more features. But I use the DATA way more often with the modular because it's so much more convenient, and generally has the features I need.

Depends on if you need some of the advanced features of a bench scope, I guess. Just as one example, the 1054z has memory, so you can record a bunch of frames, then later scrub through them, and get a detailed picture of what happened over some period of time. For troubleshooting your own builds, something like that might be really nice to have. But maybe what you're building doesn't really need it.

RonF
Common Wiggler

Post by RonF » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:58 pm

suthnear wrote:Firmware update request: can the module please start in the oscilloscope screen rather than the menu? I just had a click encoder fail on another module and this made me realise that the Data would be totally useless if this happened. If the module started on the oscilloscope, we would always be able to access it's primary function at least...
I want to support this suggestion. Or better yet...have a user toggle-option to simply have it boot to the last used function. Having it boot to the menu everytime is a PITA! Otherwise.....spectacular module!

artieTwelve
Common Wiggler

Post by artieTwelve » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:21 pm

I have the 1054z and the Data. As others have stated, the Data is extremely useful when you want a quick look at what's going on. But if you're going to get into developing your own modules, you will need a good scope like the 1054z. Another way to look at it: Everything the Data can do can also be done on the 1054z (with the exception of being a clock generator). On the other hand, there is a lot that the Data can't do that the 1054z can.

sir stony
Common Wiggler

Post by sir stony » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:56 pm

Indeed, the DATA is a great tool to check and tune your modular.
It'd be even better if there was an option to have it boot in the last used mode and settings instead of the main menu. I mostly use its clock generators, and with different settings on the various channels. It's no joy to re-set them every time I power up the rack.

It is, however, no tool to develop electronic circuits. It is made for audio signals, typically, and in development, you'll face a lot of measuring far beyond that.

BaloErets
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:49 pm

sir stony wrote:It'd be even better if there was an option to have it boot in the last used mode and settings instead of the main menu. I mostly use its clock generators, and with different settings on the various channels. It's no joy to re-set them every time I power up the rack.
You have 8 slots to save your settings. Does this not work properly with the clock gen program?

sir stony
Common Wiggler

Post by sir stony » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:44 am

BaloErets wrote:You have 8 slots to save your settings.
:hide: Indeed sir. Me fool. :hihi:

progerik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by progerik » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:02 pm

I new to eurorack, can the mordax 4 output clock feature do the same thing as the pamelas new workout ?
thanks

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:17 pm

progerik wrote:I new to eurorack, can the mordax 4 output clock feature do the same thing as the pamelas new workout ?
thanks
Pam's is significantly more flexible as a a clock/modulation source. I'd get Pam's even if you're also getting Data.

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:49 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
progerik wrote:I new to eurorack, can the mordax 4 output clock feature do the same thing as the pamelas new workout ?
thanks
Pam's is significantly more flexible as a a clock/modulation source. I'd get Pam's even if you're also getting Data.
I concur with this. I have both a Data and a PNW, and the Data is basically a multi-tool with a decent clock bolted onto it, while the PNW is a dedicated clock source down to the bone. As such, it has heaps of clock-related functionality that the Data doesn't have, and cannot ever have (e.g., eight outputs instead of four).

I love my Data, it has completely transformed how I use my Eurorack rig, but I won't be using it for clock duties while I have a PNW. They're both essential in their own way.

trickness
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trickness » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:53 pm

megarat wrote:I love my Data, it has completely transformed how I use my Eurorack rig
Can you expand on this? I'm considering adding one to my rig but not sure if I would use it enough to justify the HP

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:51 pm

My problem currently, is that I've really no place to mount it at 90 deg view angle.
I expect it's going to be difficult to read at a greater angle like other big display modules.
I'd almost want to get a $100, 20 hp 4ms pod just to house it. But I dont wanna... :cry:

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:02 am

I can not find specs anywhere. I am looking for bit depth and sample rate of the ADC and DAC. accuracy of the voltmeter after the unit is calibrated and powered for 30 minutes. frequency response of the input +/- Db. FFT bin resolution and sensitivity in Db. also, what is the max refresh rate of the display and what kind of display is it?
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

ratchet
Common Wiggler

Post by ratchet » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:07 am

pekbro wrote:My problem currently, is that I've really no place to mount it at 90 deg view angle.
I expect it's going to be difficult to read at a greater angle like other big display modules.
I'd almost want to get a $100, 20 hp 4ms pod just to house it. But I dont wanna... :cry:
You'll need the deeper pods. The smaller ones are too shallow.

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:34 pm

Am considering a black DATA, primarily for the (go figure) Oscilloscope features, as I find the YT demo videos where people like DivKid and others explain what's going on (and show bits of it on the scope) to be very informative at this stage of my modular and synthesis knowledge... and maybe I'll grow out of that need and fascination one day, but for now it seems immensely useful...

But that's a lot of coin ($400 US) to watch 4x squiggly lines do their thing at once.

So my questions are - for those who own one already - how useful are the other features? Do they truly serve useful purposes on a daily basis that helps to offset the cost of the DATA or are they (no disrespect intended) just add-ons that are somehow annoying or less useful? Do you use and like the Clock Features, Functions, etc, really? How does its ability to do those things compare to other modules more known for those features? Furthur, in that sense, how does the DATA compare to the ever popular O & C or Disting?

Thanks.

Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nightly Closures » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:57 pm

I mainly use it for the scope and tuner. I don’t take it live anymore because of the real estate and I use a tuner pedal for shows. However, I still find it extremely useful. The visual feedback has been very helpful and I couldn’t recommend it more. I might try some of the other uses more after the next update, but I already have those things covered.

BaloErets
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:15 pm

BlinkyLights wrote:Am considering a black DATA, primarily for the (go figure) Oscilloscope features, as I find the YT demo videos where people like DivKid and others explain what's going on (and show bits of it on the scope) to be very informative at this stage of my modular and synthesis knowledge... and maybe I'll grow out of that need and fascination one day, but for now it seems immensely useful...

But that's a lot of coin ($400 US) to watch 4x squiggly lines do their thing at once.

So my questions are - for those who own one already - how useful are the other features? Do they truly serve useful purposes on a daily basis that helps to offset the cost of the DATA or are they (no disrespect intended) just add-ons that are somehow annoying or less useful? Do you use and like the Clock Features, Functions, etc, really? How does its ability to do those things compare to other modules more known for those features? Furthur, in that sense, how does the DATA compare to the ever popular O & C or Disting?

Thanks.
The other functions are extremely relevant and will always serve an excellent purpose. First and foremost, it's a 4 channel scope. But at the times when you don't need a scope, I find having 2 extra oscillators/LFOs (with built in VCAs and waveshaping) and the 4 clock dividers/multipliers to be so handy to have around. They are not 2nd rate, and work as expected.

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:50 am

trickness wrote:
megarat wrote:I love my Data, it has completely transformed how I use my Eurorack rig
Can you expand on this? I'm considering adding one to my rig but not sure if I would use it enough to justify the HP
When I spoke with the Mordax rep at Seattle's Velocity event recently, he described the Data is akin to having a "light switch" in your rack, in that it allows you to visually see what you're doing. I can't think of a better metaphor.

Specifically, using the oscilloscope when sound-sculpting, or the voltage monitor when working with control voltages, they give me visual feedback that is extremely helpful. Actually seeing how my tweaks affect the waveform(s) while listening to the impact on the audio just makes it that much more clear what I'm doing, and it improves my results. I don't use it 100% of the time, but pretty darn close.

I also use the spectrum analyzer when sound sculpting, as I occasionally have the frequency spectrum of a sound that I want to approximate (e.g., piano) and being able to see the spectrum of the working sound helps me get closer to my goal. Going by ear isn't nearly as efficient.

Sometimes I have questions like: "If I want to control the tempo of my Pamela's New Workout (using the CV1 input), what is the exact voltage window that corresponds to 120BPM?" With a Data, that's easy as pie.

And then there's troubleshooting. Jacklights only go so far. Being able to see everything usually allows me to immediately identify the problem instead of futz about blindly.

The Data has some other tools that are nice, and while they're not unique, they save space by not needing separate modules for them. Specifically, I'm thinking of the tuner, and the cool feature of the voltage monitor where you can output specific voltages on the four outputs. (The voltages are still produced even if you switch to other "programs" in the Data, such as the oscilloscope. Very handy.)

I don't use the clock, and I haven't yet put the spectrograph or "wave output" feature to good use. The latter serves as 1-2 LFOs/VCOs in a pinch, and it's nice to know that they're there, so maybe they'll come in handy someday. Mordax is allegedly adding sequencer functionality to the next firmware update, but I don't see much use for that either.

I don't perform with my Eurorack rig, and I can see why you would want to save the space in a performance rack for something else, but for home/studio use, I can't imagine my life without it.

(And for full disclosure, my opinion and views are certainly colored by my background in computer science and electrical engineering, as I've regarded the oscilloscope as a useful tool for more than half my life. When I first got into Eurorack, it only took about ten minutes for me to think, "Golly, I wish I had a scope so I could see what I was doing." (And for a while I had my rack set up near my old Tektronix analogue scope, for this very purpose, but that was hardly convenient.) So my brain was crying out for a tool like this from the start, and since all of our brains are different, YMMV.)

I can't think of anything else to add, so I hope this was helpful.

ratchet
Common Wiggler

Post by ratchet » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:15 am

As a tool to aid learning modular I don't think it is matched. Don't underestimated how useful that is. Seeing what is going on and being able to much more easily troubleshoot problems is incredibly useful.

The thing is you're going to want all that while using LFO's and clock signals etc. In other words you're going to want the 'other' functions the DATA can perform while you're looking at those signals in the scope.

I thought along the same lines you are. I could get it to see what is happening, learn, troubleshoot etc and then use the other functions. Never happened. I still use it almost solely for the scope and tuner.

However, I have never regretted getting it and it has been a constant in my rack for over a year.

[edited to correct typo's]
Last edited by ratchet on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

thetechnobear
Common Wiggler

Post by thetechnobear » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:21 am

as others have said, I find the scope, tuner and voltage monitor invaluable.
I'm still learning how to use the spectral tools as part of my setup, but think they will increasingly become important to me.

I don't use the clock/wave output … mainly because then you lose the scope function. … its also why I can't see myself using the proposed sequence function either.

(I'd find the clock outputs really useful, if they could continue whilst the scope was running, which, unlike waves, id have thought would be pretty low cpu).)

at the time I got the DATA I was also considering the Otool, and glad I went for the Mordax - as though its quite big, visualisation is its main thing, so having a decent size screen is vital (to me)
(that said, if I only had space for an otool… I would have got that)

ratchet
Common Wiggler

Post by ratchet » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:51 am

I'd find the clock outputs really useful, if they could continue whilst the scope was running, which, unlike waves, id have thought would be pretty low cpu
This would indeed be cool. Would need to sacrifice one of the inputs if externally clocked but I could live with that.

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:45 am

thetechnobear wrote: at the time I got the DATA I was also considering the Otool, and glad I went for the Mordax - as though its quite big, visualisation is its main thing, so having a decent size screen is vital (to me)
(that said, if I only had space for an otool… I would have got that)
I agree with this as well. I vacillated for a while, trying to choose between the O'tool Plus and the Data, but I decided that the bigger screen was worth waiting for. I've been very happy with my decision.

That said, I have no doubts that the O'tool+ is a fine piece of equipment, so I expect it's a great option for those whose space/money are at a premium.

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:44 pm

Thank you all for the comments. Very helpful. Encouraging, too.

I've managed to score a used (Black) Mordax Data tonight... I'm stoked, and can't wait to have the visual insights into WTF is going on inside this muti-tentacled monster of nearly-ever-changing size and capabilities. It will utterly remove so so many small stumbling blockz I just didn't know or have easy access to will be front and center (voltages of this and that, what such and such pulse from whatever machine or module actually looks like, no more blind guessing or furious Googling.

fyeah.

What about running one upside down, can the screen be flipped without major pains or?

Thanks again.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”