MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:56 am

megarat wrote:
trickness wrote:
megarat wrote:I love my Data, it has completely transformed how I use my Eurorack rig
Can you expand on this? I'm considering adding one to my rig but not sure if I would use it enough to justify the HP
When I spoke with the Mordax rep at Seattle's Velocity event recently, he described the Data is akin to having a "light switch" in your rack, in that it allows you to visually see what you're doing. I can't think of a better metaphor.

Specifically, using the oscilloscope when sound-sculpting, or the voltage monitor when working with control voltages, they give me visual feedback that is extremely helpful. Actually seeing how my tweaks affect the waveform(s) while listening to the impact on the audio just makes it that much more clear what I'm doing, and it improves my results. I don't use it 100% of the time, but pretty darn close.

I also use the spectrum analyzer when sound sculpting, as I occasionally have the frequency spectrum of a sound that I want to approximate (e.g., piano) and being able to see the spectrum of the working sound helps me get closer to my goal. Going by ear isn't nearly as efficient.

Sometimes I have questions like: "If I want to control the tempo of my Pamela's New Workout (using the CV1 input), what is the exact voltage window that corresponds to 120BPM?" With a Data, that's easy as pie.

And then there's troubleshooting. Jacklights only go so far. Being able to see everything usually allows me to immediately identify the problem instead of futz about blindly.

The Data has some other tools that are nice, and while they're not unique, they save space by not needing separate modules for them. Specifically, I'm thinking of the tuner, and the cool feature of the voltage monitor where you can output specific voltages on the four outputs. (The voltages are still produced even if you switch to other "programs" in the Data, such as the oscilloscope. Very handy.)

I don't use the clock, and I haven't yet put the spectrograph or "wave output" feature to good use. The latter serves as 1-2 LFOs/VCOs in a pinch, and it's nice to know that they're there, so maybe they'll come in handy someday. Mordax is allegedly adding sequencer functionality to the next firmware update, but I don't see much use for that either.

I don't perform with my Eurorack rig, and I can see why you would want to save the space in a performance rack for something else, but for home/studio use, I can't imagine my life without it.

(And for full disclosure, my opinion and views are certainly colored by my background in computer science and electrical engineering, as I've regarded the oscilloscope as a useful tool for more than half my life. When I first got into Eurorack, it only took about ten minutes for me to think, "Golly, I wish I had a scope so I could see what I was doing." (And for a while I had my rack set up near my old Tektronix analogue scope, for this very purpose, but that was hardly convenient.) So my brain was crying out for a tool like this from the start, and since all of our brains are different, YMMV.)

I can't think of anything else to add, so I hope this was helpful.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this post and share your experiences, I really appreciate it. Pushed me over the edge and I ordered a Data from Control yesterday :banana:

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:30 pm

trickness wrote: Thank you so much for taking the time to write this post and share your experiences, I really appreciate it. Pushed me over the edge and I ordered a Data from Control yesterday :banana:
Certainly, I'm happy to help, and I'm glad you found it useful.

peterpanderretter
Common Wiggler

Post by peterpanderretter » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:58 pm

Hello Mordax enthusiasts,
any chance to keep the vco's running, when changing the mode?
Thanks for helping
Peter

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:56 am

peterpanderretter wrote:Hello Mordax enthusiasts,
any chance to keep the vco's running, when changing the mode?
Thanks for helping
Peter
No, I don't believe that's possible. My understanding is that the only functions that still run when you change programs is the CV that is configured for output with the Voltage Monitor.

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:03 am

fwfw, as a new user/owner, I'd like to see it remember the last mode used on Power Down and Up rather than defaulting to the Menu. I see some others have requested this. May I ask if and when we might see such an update? Thanks. Lovely unit all around... Big fan...

DjNeinas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DjNeinas » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:20 am

Love mine, just wish the Oscillator/Lfo could be slower

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:47 am

DjNeinas wrote:Love mine, just wish the Oscillator/Lfo could be slower
I could be wrong, but if you put the Oscillator in Freq mode rather than note mode, you have have it go down to decimals of Hz.

EDIT; I confirm per the manual;
Frequency - Manual Control: 0.01 Hz - 9,999.99 Hz

NARC NOISE
Common Wiggler

Post by NARC NOISE » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:29 am

BaloErets wrote:
I could be wrong, but if you put the Oscillator in Freq mode rather than note mode, you have have it go down to decimals of Hz.

This is correct, is can be set down as low as.....0000.01 HZ

DjNeinas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DjNeinas » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:50 am

BaloErets wrote:

That was not the problem but you put me on the right track (witch used to be on the B side on most vinyl singles when I was young) thank you. Similar to an UFOlogist I was only looking at the green and didn't pay attention to the small grey.
However I now discovered that I can't use the oscilloscope at the same time, as switching over to this makes the wave output stop. Oh well, see you got the O'tool as well so I guess you can never have enough oscilloscopes either.
Btw, just got Belgrade so I enjoyed watching you wiggle with yours. I think Xaocs should make a Dushanbe Zoo module for some sad naturewave.

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:04 am

Very excited about Data's eventual firmware update. Though I'm intrigued by the new sequencer program I gotta say I'm most looking forward to skipping the settings->load state routine at the beginning of each session.

Spastic_Colon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spastic_Colon » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:54 am

Hey all, hoping for some help/advice here. I’ve not used my Data for a few weeks, and have just put it into a brand new case (256hp 2xZeus Studio BBz). I’m now unable to select a program following boot-up. I can scroll through each option in the menu, but not launch using the encoder. I’ve emailed today too, but just on the off chance anyone’s experienced a similar problem? Thanks m in advance

hel1
Common Wiggler

Post by hel1 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:30 am

[quote="BlinkyLights"]fwfw, as a new user/owner, I'd like to see it remember the last mode used on Power Down and Up rather than defaulting to the Menu./quote]

that would be ideal for me too. most of the time I stick with the same settings so having to re-choose them is, well, ...

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:06 am

Spastic_Colon wrote:Hey all, hoping for some help/advice here. I’ve not used my Data for a few weeks, and have just put it into a brand new case (256hp 2xZeus Studio BBz). I’m now unable to select a program following boot-up. I can scroll through each option in the menu, but not launch using the encoder. I’ve emailed today too, but just on the off chance anyone’s experienced a similar problem? Thanks m in advance
Have you tried moving it back to the old case, or removing some modules from the new case? I'm wondering if the new case has insufficient power.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by OHEXOH » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:24 pm

bfessler wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:02 am
skitzo wrote:Picked up a black Data and I love it. I'd like to see an option that allows it to start up in the last mode so I don't have to click through settings, load and then to the mode I want.

If I'm missing that option somewhere can someone please point me in the right direction :)
There will be an "auto-load of a saved system state slot" feature added in the next firmware update, currently in development.

Likely, their will never be an "auto-launch of program" feature though; the DATA will always boot into the main menu.

But with the "auto-load of a saved system state slot" feature added, on startup you'll just have to select the program you want from the main menu, rather than go into settings, load the saved slot, then back to the main menu and launch the program; much fewer steps to get back to your preferred setup after power on.
:tu:
Any word on this?
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

jollyjack
Learning to Wiggle

Re: MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Post by jollyjack » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:24 pm

One very basic thing I would want in a future update is a screensaver or the ability to turn off/dim the screen when not using the module. Every other module I own that has a screen also has a screensaver, so why not this one? Seems like a simple thing to add. Not sure if it would improve the longevity of the screen or not, but it bothers me because it's so big/bright that it's distracting sometimes...

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:24 am

The Data is a screensaver. Put some noise through the spectrograph.

jollyjack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jollyjack » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:49 am

Fallen_lassen wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:24 am
Having to put it in spectrograph mode every time would be kind of annoying. I would prefer the screen to dim/turn off, automatically.

BasariStudios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BasariStudios » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:04 am

Fallen_lassen wrote:
Actually i do that. Or some Duct tape.
A lot of my Modules have Duct Tape on the LEDs too.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:55 am

jollyjack wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:49 am
Fallen_lassen wrote:
Having to put it in spectrograph mode every time would be kind of annoying. I would prefer the screen to dim/turn off, automatically.
Save a preset in minimal mode with xy in oscilloscoop. :sb:

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:33 am

Been getting lots of use out of the Clock generator lately.

It would be *awesome* if (once the clocks are running) you could flip over to the Scope and use it as normal.

Will that sort of two things at once ever be possible with the current hardware? No complaints, just curious.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:33 am

BlinkyLights wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:33 am
Been getting lots of use out of the Clock generator lately.

It would be *awesome* if (once the clocks are running) you could flip over to the Scope and use it as normal.

Will that sort of two things at once ever be possible with the current hardware? No complaints, just curious.
yes, but only if you buy a 2nd Data module :mrgreen:

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:42 pm

are there any data left in any of the retailers? the website says arriving feb
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

endreola
Learning to Wiggle

Post by endreola » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:21 am

Great product, however their website seems to take back seat when it comes to providing current up to date status. They also tend to use FB and Instragram as their main method of communication. You may want to check out the following links for updated status. And Modular Grid is a great site to help locate product.

https://www.facebook.com/mordaxsystems/

https://www.instagram.com/mordaxsystems/?hl=en

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/b ... ection=asc

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 am

This site is also pretty good at searching across the major places: https://wigglehunt.com/?query=mordax&co ... e_max=5000
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

raft
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raft » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:17 pm

I’d buy one if they were available- these guys need to get it together and solder faster

Return to “Eurorack Modules”