MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

escargot
Common Wiggler

Re: MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Post by escargot » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:59 am

please make the inputs/ outputs independant so we could use scope as well as clock outputs/ wave outs. also/or/and individual ins/outs config would be great

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:08 pm

marineroom wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:49 pm
Wilshire wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:03 pm
I FINALLY got a Data on this latest batch. So excited to have it as a learning tool and utility.

A question for Data owners or folks from Mordax. The encoder knob has ZERO resistance. I know knob tension varies amongst manufacturers, but I've never encountered a knob in or outside of eurorack, with literally no resistance at all. Can anyone speak to this being normal for these units? THanks!
Yeah, came here to comment & inquire about the same thing. Just got one from the recent batch (late June) and I thought perhaps my encoder was broken. It has an ever so slight, irregular resistance/clicking to it but still basically moves freely. Input is consistent, though, so I’m writing this off as normal.
Just adding a comment to this. I LOVE THIS ENCODER. I wish Xaoc Zadar and Klavis Quadigy had the same one.

pampermoose
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pampermoose » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:52 pm

The store page for the module displayed "New Batch is in the works, target August 2020," or so, until this evening. It's updated to "NEXT BATCH IS IN THE WORKS, TARGET SEPTEMBER 2020." Does anyone know if I missed the boat in the 24 hour window I checked, or if this is just a delay manufacturing? Thanks!
PM :boat:

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:24 pm

COVID-related delays are happening everywhere, so my money is on that.

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:14 pm

pampermoose wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:52 pm
The store page for the module displayed "New Batch is in the works, target August 2020," or so, until this evening. It's updated to "NEXT BATCH IS IN THE WORKS, TARGET SEPTEMBER 2020." Does anyone know if I missed the boat in the 24 hour window I checked, or if this is just a delay manufacturing? Thanks!
PM :boat:
Site says they’re waiting on panels: https://www.mordax.net/news/2020/8/28/d ... ont-panels

pampermoose
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pampermoose » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:05 am

Thanks, Ears. I’m a dweeb who was just refreshing the store page a few times a day.

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:18 pm

pampermoose wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:05 am
Thanks, Ears. I’m a dweeb who was just refreshing the store page a few times a day.
Been there. Once I decided I needed DATA none were around and the wait was annoying!

d_imil
Common Wiggler

Post by d_imil » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:15 am

Anyone know if Mordax has ever discussed an update that may include "default settings" selection? I would sacrifice 1 of the 8 memory slots for the settings if it meant that a configuration of "default settings" that would load on start up took its place? I'd like a default that has more than one channel enabled on the tuner and oscilloscope because half the time I forget to load my settings then have to back out on the menu and load it to get going.

I say this as a software developer that would probably want to murder some business person for saying this but, seems like it would be a relatively easy update to have Memory slot 1 load on start up, then the user just has to set that to whatever they want their default settings to be.

escargot
Common Wiggler

Post by escargot » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:46 pm

d_imil wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:15 am
Anyone know if Mordax has ever discussed an update that may include "default settings" selection? I would sacrifice 1 of the 8 memory slots for the settings if it meant that a configuration of "default settings" that would load on start up took its place? I'd like a default that has more than one channel enabled on the tuner and oscilloscope because half the time I forget to load my settings then have to back out on the menu and load it to get going.

I say this as a software developer that would probably want to murder some business person for saying this but, seems like it would be a relatively easy update to have Memory slot 1 load on start up, then the user just has to set that to whatever they want their default settings to be.
+1

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:58 pm

+1

and since we´re on it:
is there a faster way to load your, lets say: preset 1, than:

load preset 1 ( two button presses)
>>then: press the upper most right button,
then: take the encoder, scroll one down, load: oscilloscop<< ( thats the part that really annoys me)

any faster way, if i just want to load a 2-track oscilloscope ? ( which my preset1 consists of)

escargot
Common Wiggler

Post by escargot » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:18 pm

preset 1 on start up makes sense to me

Sleepfc
Common Wiggler

Post by Sleepfc » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:22 pm

escargot wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:18 pm
Agreed. It’s a perfect module and I have no gripes about. Loading preset 1 at boot would just be icing on the cake

d_imil
Common Wiggler

Post by d_imil » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:14 am

I sent a message to Mordax via their site regarding this and will update here if they get back to me.

Kawouddd
Common Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:40 am

Back-ordered today. It's been the last real niggle on my 'need for completion' list for a while, I know I'd order it in an instant if it was available anywhere, so I might as well push the button in the hope of getting it ASAP / once in.

Well, when I say 'the last real niggle...'

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:40 pm

Repeating myself but oh well... selectable DC offsets on the outputs would be a nice addition.

hel1
Common Wiggler

Post by hel1 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:34 am

Sleepfc wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:22 pm
escargot wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:18 pm
Agreed. It’s a perfect module and I have no gripes about. Loading preset 1 at boot would just be icing on the cake
for me too...

wiresandstraps
R.T.F.M.

Post by wiresandstraps » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:43 am

I’ve been searching all over trying to find where to buy one.

I’ve even had 2 shops tell me they stopped working with Mordax due to lack of communication/orders being delayed over and over again.

Who stocks these? Which shops have been getting them? How the hell can I get one?

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:16 am

wiresandstraps wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:43 am

I’ve even had 2 shops tell me they stopped working with Mordax due to lack of communication/orders being delayed over and over again.

Who stocks these? Which shops have been getting them? How the hell can I get one?
Mordax is a small shop and the owners are extremely meticulous and thorough, which requires time and they've been affected by Covid.

I got lucky, getting mine in Dec 2019. I deal (delt - The Toronto store is now shut down - Covid Fallout) with Moog Audio in Toronto and had a good relationship with the store manager who always put me on waiting lists for various modules, which was the best way for me. I find modular purchases extremely frustrating due to all the waiting involved.

One way to get your hands on one is to contact the Montreal store and ask them if they can do it for you; not sure how possible this is, given you are in NY.

Good Luck!

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:03 am

DukeOfPrunes wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:16 am
wiresandstraps wrote:

Mordax is a small shop and the owners are extremely meticulous and thorough, which requires time and they've been affected by Covid.

I got lucky, getting mine in Dec 2019. I deal (delt - The Toronto store is now shut down - Covid Fallout) with Moog Audio in Toronto and had a good relationship with the store manager who always put me on waiting lists for various modules, which was the best way for me. I find modular purchases extremely frustrating due to all the waiting involved.

One way to get your hands on one is to contact the Montreal store and ask them if they can do it for you; not sure how possible this is, given you are in NY.

Good Luck!
I bought my white Mordax DATA the same time as you from Moog Toronto. I literally had tears of joy when I picked it up.
I am still devastated that the store closed. Thanks to the staff for all those wonderful years.
I agree with the frustration of constantly waiting and hoping that a module will be available. I waited 3 months for my Mordax, 4 months for Frap Brenso, 3 months for Instruō Cš-L, and 3 months for my Frap Tools USTA - picking it up from Moog Toronto was the last thing I did in March before going into isolation (I was happily isolated for months!).
Even before COVID, I know rarity has prompted me to buy a module when I see it in stock, even if I am not ready for it, just thinking that it may be my last chance... It is why I bought Instruō Lúbadh and arbhar when I did. No regrets.
And with the pandemic, I am noticing some modules are starting to see used prices escalate over the retail price - just because they are hard to obtain.
Good luck to anyone waiting for a Mordax DATA! The Mordax team are awesome people, it's an awesome product - and totally worth the suffering to obtain one!

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:25 am

studioutopia wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:03 am
DukeOfPrunes wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:16 am
wiresandstraps wrote:

Good Luck!
I bought my white Mordax DATA the same time as you from Moog Toronto. I literally had tears of joy when I picked it up.
I am still devastated that the store closed. Thanks to the staff for all those wonderful years.
I agree with the frustration of constantly waiting and hoping that a module will be available. I waited 3 months for my Mordax, 4 months for Frap Brenso, 3 months for Instruō Cš-L, and 3 months for my Frap Tools USTA - picking it up from Moog Toronto was the last thing I did in March before going into isolation (I was happily isolated for months!).
Even before COVID, I know rarity has prompted me to buy a module when I see it in stock, even if I am not ready for it, just thinking that it may be my last chance... It is why I bought Instruō Lúbadh and arbhar when I did. No regrets.
And with the pandemic, I am noticing some modules are starting to see used prices escalate over the retail price - just because they are hard to obtain.
Good luck to anyone waiting for a Mordax DATA! The Mordax team are awesome people, it's an awesome product - and totally worth the suffering to obtain one!
Literally broke my heart when Francis told me that they were closing the Toronto store. Always had a kick going to visit them and they were all top notch. I really got lucky getting the Data when I did; I use that thing all the time and it has helped my understanding current flow as well as troubleshooting anomalies.

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:48 am

The demand for the Data far outstrips supply, so you’ll likely not find isolated stock anywhere, although you might get lucky with a used sale. I’ll echo the sentiment here that it’s worth the effort and patience to get one. I recommend getting on Mordax’s mailing list, and perhaps subscribing to their social media feeds for updates. And then I recommend ordering it directly from them as soon as they announce that it’s on sale.

This is how I obtained mine in the summer of last year, and it still took a couple of weeks between placing the order and having it in my eager hands. But it has transformed how I use my rack, and I regard it as probably the most critical and irreplaceable module I have. I frequently considering getting a spare, just to keep as an emergency backup.

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:59 am

megarat wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:48 am
The demand for the Data far outstrips supply, so you’ll likely not find isolated stock anywhere, although you might get lucky with a used sale. I’ll echo the sentiment here that it’s worth the effort and patience to get one. I recommend getting on Mordax’s mailing list, and perhaps subscribing to their social media feeds for updates. And then I recommend ordering it directly from them as soon as they announce that it’s on sale.

This is how I obtained mine in the summer of last year, and it still took a couple of weeks between placing the order and having it in my eager hands. But it has transformed how I use my rack, and I regard it as probably the most critical and irreplaceable module I have. I frequently considering getting a spare, just to keep as an emergency backup.
If I could, I would get 2 additional units, which would allow me to use the VCOs, clocks and voltage monitors simultaneously...

stringtapper
Common Wiggler

Post by stringtapper » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:35 pm

Have they ever released any new firmware?

I seem to recall them mentioning some new features “coming soon” on their site, but I think that was in 2017 when I got mine.

jwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jwise » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:43 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:35 pm
Have they ever released any new firmware?

I seem to recall them mentioning some new features “coming soon” on their site, but I think that was in 2017 when I got mine.
There was one major upgrade since they first released the DATA. The follow-up that hinted at a sequencer of some sort has never arrived, but I've got to say that I'm okay with that as I already have a Disting that does everything. Matter of fact, I never use the clocks or VCO as I'm stuck in oscilloscope, tuner, or voltage monitor.

Kawouddd
Common Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:17 pm

megarat wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:48 am

I have 16hp left in my rack, and a preorder with a uk supplier awaiting stock. *Whenever* it arrives, I’m confident it’ll be worth it. It feels like the capability that’s most clearly missing!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”