MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

wiresandstraps
R.T.F.M.

Re: MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Post by wiresandstraps » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:22 pm

Thanks guys. I’m happy to wait for one... but 4 shops in, and no one is willing to even pre-order it.

I’m on the mailing list, so hopefully I get lucky and can make it into the next batch of pre-orders directly on the Mordax site.

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:15 pm

@wiresandstraps are you in the US? I just pre-ordered one from Perfect Circuit a couple weeks ago. I asked them about the ETA on Monday and they don’t have any more info than what’s here and on the Mordax website we it’s really just a matter of waiting on whatever is constraining them. I hate waiting without a date but realistically, more communication won’t make them show up any faster. I still check their site for updates every day though.

I had a Data on my last system and it’s fantastic and worth the wait. I don’t even care about development of new features, the measuring tools are all I’m after.

Radomil
Common Wiggler

Post by Radomil » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:45 pm

studioutopia wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:03 am
DukeOfPrunes wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:16 am
wiresandstraps wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:43 am
I’ve been searching all over trying to find where to buy one.

I’ve even had 2 shops tell me they stopped working with Mordax due to lack of communication/orders being delayed over and over again.

Who stocks these? Which shops have been getting them? How the hell can I get one?
Off topic, how do you l like the brenso? I’m trying to decide to get in line for that or a furthrrr generator as my first complex vco

Mordax is a small shop and the owners are extremely meticulous and thorough, which requires time and they've been affected by Covid.

I got lucky, getting mine in Dec 2019. I deal (delt - The Toronto store is now shut down - Covid Fallout) with Moog Audio in Toronto and had a good relationship with the store manager who always put me on waiting lists for various modules, which was the best way for me. I find modular purchases extremely frustrating due to all the waiting involved.

One way to get your hands on one is to contact the Montreal store and ask them if they can do it for you; not sure how possible this is, given you are in NY.

Good Luck!
I bought my white Mordax DATA the same time as you from Moog Toronto. I literally had tears of joy when I picked it up.
I am still devastated that the store closed. Thanks to the staff for all those wonderful years.
I agree with the frustration of constantly waiting and hoping that a module will be available. I waited 3 months for my Mordax, 4 months for Frap Brenso, 3 months for Instruō Cš-L, and 3 months for my Frap Tools USTA - picking it up from Moog Toronto was the last thing I did in March before going into isolation (I was happily isolated for months!).
Even before COVID, I know rarity has prompted me to buy a module when I see it in stock, even if I am not ready for it, just thinking that it may be my last chance... It is why I bought Instruō Lúbadh and arbhar when I did. No regrets.
And with the pandemic, I am noticing some modules are starting to see used prices escalate over the retail price - just because they are hard to obtain.
Good luck to anyone waiting for a Mordax DATA! The Mordax team are awesome people, it's an awesome product - and totally worth the suffering to obtain one!

Enu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Enu » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:01 am

He_lium wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:19 am
Mordax Data seems to be available here in Europe/Netherlands
https://www.musicstore.com/en_OE/EUR/se ... erm=mordax
https://www.midiamsterdam.nl/catalogsea ... ordax+data
It seems for me that it is only ordered, and not actually in store. The first link expect to get them in mid/end of October, but in my experience, such dates can be set and moved automatically (not saying it is in this case, just in general). The last link says: "In back order with manufacturer"

He_lium
Common Wiggler

Post by He_lium » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:44 am

Enu wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:01 am
He_lium wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:19 am
Mordax Data seems to be available here in Europe/Netherlands
https://www.musicstore.com/en_OE/EUR/se ... erm=mordax
https://www.midiamsterdam.nl/catalogsea ... ordax+data
It seems for me that it is only ordered, and not actually in store. The first link expect to get them in mid/end of October, but in my experience, such dates can be set and moved automatically (not saying it is in this case, just in general). The last link says: "In back order with manufacturer"
my apologies I have eyes for not seeing

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:58 pm

Hey quick question because its a bit of a hassle to read into the whole thread but
the otools+ is almost the same price of the Data while being half of the size but function wise are they really close ?
WTB: Intellijel Quadrax, Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator, 1BIT Multitap Delay, five 12 vector, dplr

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:19 pm

drowld wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:58 pm
Hey quick question because its a bit of a hassle to read into the whole thread but
the otools+ is almost the same price of the Data while being half of the size but function wise are they really close ?
I've wondered that too.

I have DATA, and love it, but I've had a few moments when I second-guessed how much space it takes up in my rack. I've found myself thinking that it might be a good idea to swap it for the O'Tool oscilloscope, but the O'Tool is just doesn't give enough, and the screen is tiny.

d_imil
Common Wiggler

Post by d_imil » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:26 pm

I received an email today from Mordax confirming that auto loading of a save slot will be coming in the next update. I'll quote the relevant bit here, he was very candid and I appreciate that.
YES! The default settings on load is a popular feature request that's been on the to-do list for a while now and will be implemented in the next (and long overdue) DATA firmware update. Added is a method for selecting the default slot to load on startup in the settings menu, then whenever the system is rebooted that selected system settings slot is auto loaded.

Also I'll mention another feature that's NOT going to be implemented! I often get asked together about the auto loading of settings along with a request for auto launch of a program (e.g., when the DATA starts up it goes into the oscilloscope or the clock program, rather than the main menu). Auto launch will not be implemented to this or future firmware releases. I've heard arguments for it and I can see the utility, but it's not gonna happen, let's say for personal reasons. I know you didn't ask for it, but just thought I'd throw it out there as the one request often follows the other.

So the next next firmware update, with the auto settings slot load, as well as the new quad CV/gate sequencer and a number of other improvements, is almost done and has been for a while now. To be honest I haven't worked on it for months... Development continues to be stalled, first while working on getting another run going, then hiring and training new teammates, and now focusing on solving our amazing perpetual production issues (fuck front panel manufacturing forever!!!). Regardless, my hopeful timeline for getting back to dev and having this firmware update wrapped, tested, and posted is now next month, but I think I've been saying "next month" since March and who knows what fun surprises we'll encounter next...

Thanks for reading my long winded response! Hang tight William, auto load of system settings slots is coming ;)
I know people hate the delays but seems like a genuine group of folks trying their best to put out a good product that is in high demand. I'm excited for the next update!

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:32 am

The Data has some useful tools that the O’Tool doesn’t have and vice versa. I went through this same dilemma, and at the time I figured that they both had the core functionality I wanted, but none of either module’s unique features appealed to me, so I figured that since this module is all about the screen, I would get the one with the biggest display and the most appealing UI. I’ve since come to love the Data’s ability to output voltage in the Voltage Monitor program, which I don’t think is available on the O’Tool. That said, if I had picked up an O’Tool instead, I would likely have found some of its unique features very helpful as well.

jgb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jgb » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:03 am

I have a DATA and an original O'Tool. Biggest drawback with the DATA is the navigation system with the soft buttons around the screen and a single encoder that needs to be pushed every now and then. O'Tool is much faster when switching modes and changing parameters but has its own limitations.

I am not convinced that the DATA should turn into a "do everything" tool. How am I supposed to used it for viewing waveforms or some other stuff when it is doing the sequencing? This is why I do not use it for clocking or as an oscillator, I need the tuning and oscilloscope views available all the time when patching.

To me the sequencer feels more like a "I am bored and want to do some fun stuff"-programmer feature. Probably more useful in a smaller system though, but I have sequencers already.

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:27 am

jgb wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:03 am
I have a DATA and an original O'Tool. Biggest drawback with the DATA is the navigation system with the soft buttons around the screen and a single encoder that needs to be pushed every now and then. O'Tool is much faster when switching modes and changing parameters but has its own limitations.

I am not convinced that the DATA should turn into a "do everything" tool. How am I supposed to used it for viewing waveforms or some other stuff when it is doing the sequencing? This is why I do not use it for clocking or as an oscillator, I need the tuning and oscilloscope views available all the time when patching.

To me the sequencer feels more like a "I am bored and want to do some fun stuff"-programmer feature. Probably more useful in a smaller system though, but I have sequencers already.
This is what put me off ordering one- I love the big, clear screen but really don't want yet another digital module with an overly-fiddly interface due to packing too much stuff in. I'm increasingly valuing straight-forward interfaces, it's less distracting.

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:20 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:27 am
This is what put me off ordering one- I love the big, clear screen but really don't want yet another digital module with an overly-fiddly interface due to packing too much stuff in. I'm increasingly valuing straight-forward interfaces, it's less distracting.
For what it is worth, and others may certainly differ in opinion on this, but once I settled into my few use cases I don’t find it at all divey/fiddly, and that’s coming from someone who generally dislikes menu diving. If they add extra functions to it e.g. sequencing, I probably won’t even notice.

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:30 pm

mvdirty wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:20 pm
For what it is worth, and others may certainly differ in opinion on this, but once I settled into my few use cases I don’t find it at all divey/fiddly, and that’s coming from someone who generally dislikes menu diving. If they add extra functions to it e.g. sequencing, I probably won’t even notice.
Well, that's something at least- surfacing the most obvious functions most prominently does mitigate overly-fiddly interface, even if it's not going to start up in your favourite mode.

(I do love that it won't auto-start in a given mode for "personal reasons" though, that and "fuck front panel manufacturing forever" - it does make me like the module a whole lot more- it's not just someone going though the motions.)

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:56 pm

I concur w/@mvdirty: the menu system is easy to get around and not very cumbersome at all. It can be time-consuming to set up a specific custom view in the oscilloscope, but that’s not really the fault of the UI, and that’s what the presets are for: once you set up what you want, save it in a preset and call it up again when you need it.

There are a couple of features that are regrettably hidden by “long-press” button events, e.g., XY display, but those features aren’t among the core functionality that get most of my use.
Last edited by megarat on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:58 pm

megarat wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:56 pm
that’s what the presets are for: once you set up what you want, save it in a preset and call it up again when you need it.
They said that about the various Disting variants ;)

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:59 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:58 pm
They said that about the various Disting variants ;)
Touché.

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:57 pm

I wasn’t going to mention Disting, but since we’re going there...

In case it helps calibrate people’s read of my previous thread reply: I pre-ordered a Disting EX and received it reasonably quickly after launch. I almost never touch it, because doing anything on it feels terribly divey. Nothing against it, or those who love it, and I’m sure it isn’t as bad as I’m making it out, but it feels that way and so I instinctively avoid using it. On the other hand, I use DATA every single time I power up the system.

Chaos215bar2
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaos215bar2 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:07 pm

mvdirty wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:20 pm
Kattefjaes wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:27 am
This is actually one of the few modules that hasn't given me a good reason to go read the entire manual, oddly enough.

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:10 am

Chaos215bar2 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:07 pm
This is actually one of the few modules that hasn't given me a good reason to go read the entire manual, oddly enough.
True. And odd, now that you mention it, as I’m usually the type to read each manual cover to cover at least once. I think I flipped through the DATA manual far faster than most others just to get a sense of what I might refer to where, and then got on with using it. As I recall, it’s quite a detailed manual, too, so it is even more surprising to me that I didn’t really read it (I enjoy details :) .)

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:19 pm

Also I'll mention another feature that's NOT going to be implemented! I often get asked together about the auto loading of settings along with a request for auto launch of a program (e.g., when the DATA starts up it goes into the oscilloscope or the clock program, rather than the main menu). Auto launch will not be implemented to this or future firmware releases. I've heard arguments for it and I can see the utility, but it's not gonna happen, let's say for personal reasons..
Strange, and unfortunate.

Was the only update I was hoping for.

I don't understand the resistance, at all.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:48 pm

@blinkylights
If it has a startup screen/logo, that's likely the reason. Same as asking an auto mfr to leave their logo off the steering wheel.
------

I don't have a DATA, but if it uses a physical switch or switch sequence to get where you want it to start, you could use add-on parallel logic to 'press' it or them on power up. If the thing is touchscreeen, no such luck.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:13 am

BlinkyLights wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:19 pm
Also I'll mention another feature that's NOT going to be implemented! I often get asked together about the auto loading of settings along with a request for auto launch of a program (e.g., when the DATA starts up it goes into the oscilloscope or the clock program, rather than the main menu). Auto launch will not be implemented to this or future firmware releases. I've heard arguments for it and I can see the utility, but it's not gonna happen, let's say for personal reasons..
Strange, and unfortunate.

Was the only update I was hoping for.

I don't understand the resistance, at all.
+1 to any single word,

ununderstandable !
No, its not a steering wheel on a car ;)......and there is no logo ;)

chai baba
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chai baba » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:03 am

I would love to have the auto loading and for me and it is by those lines mentioned above not understandable at all. It looks like a helpful feature. Let the customer decide and make it chooseable if you see anything profound in keeping it.

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:19 am

chai baba wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:03 am
I would love to have the auto loading and for me and it is by those lines mentioned above not understandable at all. It looks like a helpful feature. Let the customer decide and make it chooseable if you see anything profound in keeping it.
It's so strange because it could be a function that you toggle on/off in a menu lol..
WTB: Intellijel Quadrax, Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator, 1BIT Multitap Delay, five 12 vector, dplr

Return to “Eurorack Modules”