MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

Re: MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:47 am

Enlighten us, eh. What in the world could it possibly be?

Aliens? Voices in your head? Lives are at stake?

Do tell...

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:56 am

For those disappointed by this revelation, I recommend that they consider the following:

— The folks at Mordax are following their passion in creating a product where they need to juggle time-related and financial priorities, of which we are not completely aware.
— None of us here knows how difficult it would be, or how much time it would take, to implement this “auto-run a user-selected program” feature. I write code for a living, and I’ve dabbled with open source code for other Eurorack modules, and this doesn’t necessarily seem like a trivial feature to add. The devils are in the details, and this feature could potentially have some gnarly details.
— Now that the “load default settings” feature has been implemented, a new “auto-run a user-selected program” feature will save the user all of two, maybe five seconds to load their program of choice. It seems to me that you’re asking them to devote hours of their highly contended time — perhaps over a hundred hours once you’ve factored in testing and debugging, not to mention long-term support — just for your convenience of saving a few seconds every time you use it.

I can envision some applications where this auto-run feature would be truly useful, but they seem like special-use cases. So please enlighten me if I’m overlooking something.

If Mordax’s decision is strictly design- or aesthetics-based, well, this is their baby, they are creating the product of their dreams, so that is their prerogative. They need to make decisions that can’t make everyone happy.

chai baba
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chai baba » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:38 pm

" I've heard arguments for it and I can see the utility, but it's not gonna happen, let's say for personal reasons....."
@megarat:
Thank you for your thoughts and arguments. I respect them and can follow them to an large extend. It could be difficult and time consuming like you described it or maybe it could be rather uncomplicated. Who knows. The implementation of such a convinient looking feature is 100 % up to the developers and all the power over the code lies in their hands. I think it is less about the few seconds that could be saved. Everybody would agree on that perspective. But it is something else, when you know that a favoured setting comes easily back in a reliable way. Its more about the feeling of getting expectations confirmed i guess. You feel a little bit more familiar with it. And i can see the potential of a misconception in my way of easily asking for something and not overlooking the whole process behind it. If i buy something in a shop it is alway like that, if I`m honest. There is a dynamic line between the product maker and the buyer. Offering a highly appreciated tool and the demand for it and its features can go well together or stand apart of each other. The phrase of not doing it for personal reasons is such a undefined bubble. And its ok. It can rest.

Kawouddd
Common Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:18 pm

wiresandstraps wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:43 am
I’ve been searching all over trying to find where to buy one.

I’ve even had 2 shops tell me they stopped working with Mordax due to lack of communication/orders being delayed over and over again.

Who stocks these? Which shops have been getting them? How the hell can I get one?
Ftr, I think this is a new addition to their website. I may be wrong!

“ NEXT BATCH IS ALL BUILT!
BUT STILL WAITING ON FRONT PANELS :(
CURRENT ESTIMATE IS LATE OCTOBER 2020 …”

Date is what I’ve seen elsewhere, the detail I hadn’t seen before.

wiresandstraps
R.T.F.M.

Post by wiresandstraps » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:44 am

Update: I found a Data to purchase!!!! Yes! Not brand new, but about 25% off the new price. It should be shipping this week. Happy as a pig in $#|+.

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Lots of us write code.

Whatever the reason, actual effort/cost is probably not it

It's goofy, prerogative aside. Whatever.

Dreth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dreth » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Nevermind...

Note to self, read the manual.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”