Xaoc Batumi: Yes? No?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

The Mule
Ultra Wiggler

Xaoc Batumi: Yes? No?

Post by The Mule » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:59 pm

Once again I turn to the formidable knowledge of the Muffwiggler community to steer me in the right direction. I was thinking about adding a dedicated multiple LFO to my system, but not sure I REALLY need it. The Batumi looks pretty fantastic. But do I really need it? I've got an A-147-2, as well as an Intellijel Quadra. I'm planning on adding both a Disting and a Dixie II to the system, both of which can act as LFOs. Maybe just adding the MFB Dual LFO would be plenty? Or is the Batumi so awesome that I simply must have it?

Edit - I should mention the entire rig is 18u, with 6-7 oscillators, 4 filters, 4-5 sequencers and a bunch of utility stuff.

jarvis
concerned with insignificances

Post by jarvis » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:06 pm

It's pretty handy and does things that your current (and prospective) LFOs can't do.

Phase and quadrature modes are great for "cascading" modulations, where the outputs are all at the same frequency but at varying offsets (phases) of the 1st LFO.

I often use division mode as a clock divider, but it's great to have lfo's that are at multiples of the 1st LFO.

Plus they're working on some open source firmware updates, so I'm sure some people will come up with some interesting modes for it.
Last edited by jarvis on Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taylor12k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by taylor12k » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:06 pm

i own about a half dozen different LFOs and the Batumi is hands-down my favorite. in fact, when they're back in stock i think i'm going to sell my Vulcan + Mind Meld and get a 2nd Batumi.

it's really nice that they can create rhythmically related LFOs to spread around your system.. even if you're doing slower or ambient things (like i am) you still get these nice relationships.

also, the self modulation possibiities are great

the one drawback of it is the lack of complex waveforms, however, random waveforms would sort of work against what the module is about.

however, more complex waveforms can be made if you combine the outputs into a mixer.

watch DivKid's video on the Batumi. if that doesn't convince you, then look elsewhere.. there are piles of great LFOs out there, just depends what features you want.

The Mule
Ultra Wiggler

Post by The Mule » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:15 pm

Two hearty endorsements! The quadrature mode IS a huge selling point, indeed. I shall save up!

Edit - Do you both recommend the Poti expansion? What exactly does the Poti do? Will watch DivKid's video as I'm sure that explains it all! :lol:
Last edited by The Mule on Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:19 pm

Yes. Don't kown about the expansion but the LFO's are great fun and flexible. Only downside might be you'll need some attenuators.

jarvis

Post by jarvis » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:23 pm

The Poti expansion is passive, so if you can do a little DIY it's really not worth buying. If not - it's probably worth buying if you want to take full advantage of the module. It breaks out the functions of the jumpers on the back of the module. One is to select how the Batumi will react to trigs at the Sync input (tap tempo or reset) and the other is to select what the waveform of the center output is.

The Mule
Ultra Wiggler

Post by The Mule » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:29 pm

jarvis wrote:The Poti expansion is passive, so if you can do a little DIY it's really not worth buying. If not - it's probably worth buying if you want to take full advantage of the module. It breaks out the functions of the jumpers on the back of the module. One is to select how the Batumi will react to trigs at the Sync input (tap tempo or reset) and the other is to select what the waveform of the center output is.
Ah, I see. Good to know! Thanks.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:30 pm

The Mule wrote:Two hearty endorsements! The quadrature mode IS a huge selling point, indeed. I shall save up!

Edit - Do you both recommend the Poti expansion? What exactly does the Poti do? Will watch DivKid's video as I'm sure that explains it all! :lol:
I love Batumi. I use it in practically every patch. But I cannot bring myself to buy or expend HP on Poti. Its existence annoys me—it shouldn't be necessary.

Poti really just exposes two jumper settings. Whether either of those settings are sufficiently important to you to want them exposed, you will have to sort out.

jarvis

Post by jarvis » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:33 pm

One thing to note is that the Batumi does not go very far into the audible frequency range

clarte
Common Wiggler

Post by clarte » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:35 pm

I love the batumi and use it in every patch, I love the divide mode modulating my two e350s for evolving drones

The Mule
Ultra Wiggler

Post by The Mule » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:37 pm

And if exposing them turns out to be something I want to do, how exactly is it done? Certainly happy to save the money and space and skip the Poti altogether

jarvis

Post by jarvis » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:40 pm

It's just a bunch of header pins on the back, and instead of connecting them with a jumper block you use a toggle switch.

The Mule
Ultra Wiggler

Post by The Mule » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:45 pm

Gotcha. So if you want to switch the waveform between saw, trapezoid, etc., you could just pull the module out, and simply move the block accordingly.

taylor12k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by taylor12k » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:49 pm

i held off on the Poti on my initial buy and i'm not sure if i'll get it. i'm pretty happy with the down saw for more percussive shapes so i keep the setting on that. and with a 2nd batumi, i'll probably put that one in trapezoid shape

i don't think it's a necessity buy from the start, can always be added later, or DIY'd.

edgek8d
Common Wiggler

Post by edgek8d » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:50 pm

Batumi will sync to clock, right?

That's what attracts me....sync, phase, and small size. Not really another like it.
OB-Matrix 6, JX-3P (Kiwi), DSI MEK/Tempest, MI Shruthi XT, Minibrute, Virus B

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:59 pm

Essentially the same as above comments.

It's absolutely killer, in particular for me the fact that you can have it synced and then get 3 more longer divisions down to really long modulation times.

Same as Taylor, I put mine in downwards saw mode and it's always done me right, the other shapes I just don't feel that I need, also sync is much more useful to me than resetting the wave so the expander definitely has no need in my case (plus all of the functions are still available, you just need to unscrew it and meddle with the jumpers).

Grab one as soon as you can, it might even be worth preordering if you can as I'm guessing the next re-up will fly out as a lot of people seem to (quite rightly) have their sights et on it.

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:00 pm

Yup...it syncs, responds to tap tempo and / or resets to trig, has CV over frequency and even CV over phase shift between the 4 LFOs. I think you can even VC the frequency of the master LFO whilst simultaneously CV'ing the phase shift of the remaining three, though don't quote me on that, it might be just one or the other. Amazing module.

EDIT: Just tested it. You CAN voltage control the frequency of the master LFO and simultaneously send different CV in to modulate the phase of the other 3. That's gotta be worth the price alone.

As a personal aside; when I was getting into modular I thought I could save space and money by using lots of cycling envelopes as subtitutes for LFOs (being great that they act as envelopes also), but I found I really missed the balanced, bipolar modulation of a vanilla LFO....this is where batumi saved the day as its functionality:HP ratio is off the scale. Reasonably priced too...
Last edited by Carrousel on Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

The Mule
Ultra Wiggler

Post by The Mule » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:06 pm

I'm 10,000% sold on the Batumi. And equally determined to NOT buy the Poti. Will snag a Batumi as soon as they're back in stock at Analogue Haven. :tu:

edgek8d
Common Wiggler

Post by edgek8d » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:19 pm

Raven_Martin wrote:....... I thought I could save space and money by using lots of cycling envelopes as subtitutes for LFOs (being great that they act as envelopes also), but I found I really missed the balanced, bipolar modulation of a vanilla LFO......
I agree....its nust not the same.

bobbcorr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bobbcorr » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:44 pm

After months of research I chose it as my first LFO. Sooo....I have nothing to compare it to. But I do enjoy having the Poti there to flip through waveforms.

nickbaba
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nickbaba » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:58 pm

Just adding my voice to the choir singing praises to the Batumi.

I have 2 in my rack and they're in every patch. Love 'em.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:09 pm

I got one and sold my trusty Doepfer quad LFO - the Doepfer is still great for the money, but Batumi does more in a smaller space.

I also got the POTI. I do DIY, but in this case I just decided to save the hassle. It is very useful, both for changing the assigned waveform and access to the sync mode.

I also have a Quadra. There is no redundancy for me - I often use both when I need lots of LFOs. Also, Quadra has the advantage of not requiring an offset if you want a LFO that doesn't go negative.

eBerkhout
Common Wiggler

Post by eBerkhout » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:17 pm

Damn... I was thinking I could hold out on one for a while (even after they reappear at London Modular), but that nagging lack of bipolarity with cycling envelopes is getting to me too, Raven_Martin. Guess it's that time again... :moneyburn:

RLK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RLK » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:46 pm

I love Batumi. All the modes are so useful.
Hesitated before getting Poti, but use it often
They're near a mixer to facilitate a type of summing as well
I also keep these next to my beloved A-143-4 Quad VCLFO/VCO
That way I have 4 LFOs on hand if I use one of the two units for non-typical duties.
Also combining the two units gets into really interesting territory.
Sooo happy with the arrangement!

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:15 pm

I'm going to be the guy that has to disagree with all the Batumi love, unfortunately. I do like the Batumi a lot for its size and maximization of functionality/amount of LFOs, it is a really fantastic module, but I'm honestly curious about some of the other LFO options out there in modular world after having owned a Batumi for a few months.

For my uses it almost seems like the Batumi offers too much. I have to admit to using it more in Free mode than in any of the fancy Quadrature of Phase modes, I've patched it in both these modes successfully but they just don't do it for me in terms of the types of music I like to make.

One could always endlessly explore the possibilities in such a module but I think I'm more interested in playing with the Doepfer A-147-2 which, for the price of the Batumi, I could probably buy 3 of. Maybe I'll come back to the Batumi some day but for now I don't think it fits my style.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”