Xaoc Batumi: Yes? No?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

nucleus
Common Wiggler

Post by nucleus » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:00 pm

i am pretty impressed with the batumi. it's my first dedicated lfo but a lot of lfo :) and all i need. the features i like are the zoom when you adjust the frequency because it gets a little exponential towards the top and the fact that it lights up the channel that is off the slider position after it was adjusted.

my other favorite thing is that it can either reset OR sync the frequency to a clock source and has all the waveforms i'd want. i haven't found a use for the out of phase lfos yet but i am sure i will find one and it's really nice to be able to control all lfo's frequency from one slider. it's surely a stayer, well maybe honeymoon mode here but really great module there xaoc. nice job

oootini
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oootini » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:22 am

thank you Xaoc for implementing reverse power protection on batumi. i almost released the magic smoke last night...

flonaise
Common Wiggler

Post by flonaise » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:46 am

oootini wrote:thank you Xaoc for implementing reverse power protection on batumi. i almost released the magic smoke last night...
It's a good thing I'm pretty OCD when I'm checking my red stripes. When I received my Batumi, the connector was crimped backwards so that if I had put the black plug into my busboard the way it was keyed, it would have been bad ju-ju.

obeliskmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by obeliskmusic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:13 am

Yeah I got my power cable sent incorrectly too. I just emailed them and they kindly sent me a replacement.

Quad LFO mode is lovely, did this this morning, triggering SMR levels, and firing triggers on Peaks in Drums mode, Rings, and Clouds Trigger.

Not sure if I can embed instagram videos on here.

zengomi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zengomi » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:32 pm

flonaise:
connector was crimped backwards
obeliskmusic:
power cable sent incorrectly
Not quite sure what those comments mean. Would you mind giving a few details?

Full speech set to music.

obeliskmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by obeliskmusic » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:22 am

zengomi wrote:flonaise:
obeliskmusic:
The end of the cable which connects to your bus board had the plastic header reversed. It's workable if you simply have pins, but these plastic clips have a little 'knob' on one side which gives them an orientation in some power strips such as the tiptop micro Zeus flying bus boards. I've never been sent them this way before. You can get a knife and cut/shave the knob off apparently to make it fit reversed also.

eyetomymoon
Common Wiggler

Post by eyetomymoon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:51 am

It's a yes from me... = priority purchase (coming soon to a case near me, hopefully).

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:54 am

A friend of mine also recently received his batumi with a ribbon cable that went from the 10 pin side to the wrong set of pins on the 16 pin end (+12 to gate, gnd to CV, gnd to +5, gnd to +12, -12 to gnd).

Seems like someone was having a lousy day making up cables at xaoc, take care out there folks.

xaoc_tech
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xaoc_tech » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:13 am

Yes, there was a small batch of bogus ribbon cables. We are sorry about that.

Please, contact us at info@xaocdevices.com and we will be happy to send you a proper cable.

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:29 am

My Batumi should arrive anytime today so thanks for the head's up. If i get one of those i won't freak out.

zengomi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zengomi » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:52 am

obeliskmusic wrote:
zengomi wrote:flonaise:
obeliskmusic:
The end of the cable which connects to your bus board had the plastic header reversed. It's workable if you simply have pins, but these plastic clips have a little 'knob' on one side which gives them an orientation in some power strips such as the tiptop micro Zeus flying bus boards. I've never been sent them this way before. You can get a knife and cut/shave the knob off apparently to make it fit reversed also.
Thank you for the explanation, obeliskmusic. Mine appears to be OK since the end fits into its micro Zeus counterpart with the red stripes lining up.

Full speech set to music.

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:05 am

I got the Batumi+Poti about a month ago for primary LFO duties in a small, growing system. I just love it. The modes are incredibly useful. I like changing the waveforms via Poti for interesting modulation effects. My typical use case lately has been to sync the master channel to a system clock and send modulations around in Divide mode, keeping certain CVs of different voices in sync. Looking forward to installing the expert firmware and see what else this module can do.

Speculum Speculorum
Common Wiggler

Post by Speculum Speculorum » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:01 pm

Avjr wrote:My Batumi should arrive anytime today so thanks for the head's up. If i get one of those i won't freak out.
Seeing as I just ordered batumi and poti from perfect circuit the other day I am interested to see how it arrives. I might call them as it has yet to ship out.

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:06 pm

Speculum Speculorum wrote:
Avjr wrote:My Batumi should arrive anytime today so thanks for the head's up. If i get one of those i won't freak out.
Seeing as I just ordered batumi and poti from perfect circuit the other day I am interested to see how it arrives. I might call them as it has yet to ship out.
My unit arrived in perfect condition. Already did the firmware update, a-ok. Really ace module.

One really nice surprise was the ribbon connecting the modules being long enough so i could have them in different racks in the case wich prevented me from having to do a major reshuffle.

rimbod
Common Wiggler

Post by rimbod » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:38 pm

bobbcorr wrote:I do enjoy having the Poti there to flip through waveforms.
^^This.

I understand people saying "make your own breakout," because it seems simple enough to do. But having the breakout there to flip through things has been so convenient, and unless you were really sold on a particular waveform and decided to rarely change it while playing or between patches... um... yeah, not having it would be inconvenient.

And in response to the original question: I couldn't imagine someone regretting having put the :75: down on a Batumi. Amazing, self-patchable, immediately relevant to any rack.

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:58 am

I couldn't imagine someone regretting having put the :75: down on a Batumi. Amazing, self-patchable, immediately relevant to any rack.
After 5 minutes with the Batumi i figured out it can/will become the brain behind my patches from now on. If that makes any sense...

midirobot
Common Wiggler

batumi

Post by midirobot » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:49 am

batumi + blinds = magic : )

arcanius
Common Wiggler

Post by arcanius » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:18 pm

i m very new to the modular world, only a few months, but i m in love with my batumi ! :love:
so in love that i ordered a second one, and waiting for it :goo:
its all a party !

richc90
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by richc90 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:24 pm

I also got the weird cable, Schneiders swapped it for me even though I didn't buy it from them... :hail:

Batumi is amazing, especially paired with something like Blinds or A133.

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:30 pm

Yes, get it, you need it.

Iron+Man
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Iron+Man » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:49 pm

It's perfect for structured rhythmic stuff, just sync the first lfo to the clock then use the other three as clock divided lfos, patch to whatever.

Also, patching lfo outputs to other lfo sync inputs and criss-crossing gets some really nice glitchy sequences, that REPEAT! As a control freak I hate randomness so when weird shit repeats in an orderly fashion it's great.

slidearind
Common Wiggler

Post by slidearind » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:56 pm

SB-SIX wrote:Yes. Don't kown about the expansion but the LFO's are great fun and flexible. Only downside might be you'll need some attenuators.
Hi,,

i know I'm way late to the party here, but, with the Zoom mode in the advanced firmware, you can use slider 2 to set the output of the sine and saw outputs.

Cheers,

chilllwinston
Common Wiggler

Post by chilllwinston » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Just got a Batumi. All I gotta say is

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Yes, 100% get one!

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:46 pm

As a Modcan QuadLFO owner with no munny to spare, please tell me I'm not missing all that much by lacking a batumi in my rig. PLEASE. :oops:
*phnert*

Return to “Eurorack Modules”