Xaoc Batumi: Yes? No?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:50 pm

Pighood wrote:As a Modcan QuadLFO owner with no munny to spare, please tell me I'm not missing all that much by lacking a batumi in my rig. PLEASE. :oops:
They differ somewhat but if you don't feel like you need more modulation you are good.

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:03 am

MATSmile wrote:
Pighood wrote:As a Modcan QuadLFO owner with no munny to spare, please tell me I'm not missing all that much by lacking a batumi in my rig. PLEASE. :oops:
They differ somewhat but if you don't feel like you need more modulation you are good.
I'm GUESSING that the Quad can do more of what the Batumi can than vice versa....?

Have 4 other LFO's: ModOrgy, A-146, A-147, EMW WT.
*phnert*

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:07 am

Pighood wrote:
MATSmile wrote:
I'm GUESSING that the Quad can do more of what the Batumi can than vice versa....?

Have 4 other LFO's: ModOrgy, A-146, A-147, EMW WT.
True. I have both and for large systems sugest having both.
Lose 146 and add Batumi if you have spare 2 hp.

jfprimeau
Common Wiggler

Post by jfprimeau » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:37 pm

I've had the Batumi for a few months now, and couldn't do without it (it's my only dedicated LFO module, so not so surprising :lol: ) However, I think it's a bit annoying that the lights on the sliders only show for half a cycle, when the signal is in the positive. For the negative duration of the cycle, there is no visual feedback. Is this something standard with LFO modules? I understand the sliders don't come in the dual colour LED variety, which explains why they cant use the usual green/red system, but still...
Otherwise, lots of fun!

Ceri JC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ceri JC » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:48 pm

I love the Batumi for the number of outputs, relative to HP and the complex relationships you can set up between the individual LFOs, but the 'random' one doesn't do it for me. I've settled on an NLC 8HP Triple Sloth for the randomness LFOs in my rack, but Batumi for the repetitious/tempo-synced stuff.

anotherjones
Common Wiggler

Post by anotherjones » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:52 pm

Anybody got the Samara to couple with it? Look like they're made for each other!

RGB
Common Wiggler

Post by RGB » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Could someone please tell me why the colored LED lights on the modules blink like they are having some sort of spasm with the expert firmware installed?

ianbortolotti
Common Wiggler

Post by ianbortolotti » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:20 pm

RGB wrote:Could someone please tell me why the colored LED lights on the modules blink like they are having some sort of spasm with the expert firmware installed?
They blink in yellow when you access the advanced zoom mode and modify one of the sliders. When you exit the zoom mode, the sliders of the channels that aren't on the same position as their actual value blink until you move them through the position of their actual value. Took me a while to figure that out!

mantiwhore
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mantiwhore » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:11 am

anotherjones wrote:Anybody got the Samara to couple with it? Look like they're made for each other!
Actually, they are.
Xaoc Devices | Leidforschung Verlag | Instagram | Facebook
WTB/T: Dewanatron Triple Slice

Anechoic
Common Wiggler

Post by Anechoic » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:22 am

mantiwhore wrote:
anotherjones wrote:Anybody got the Samara to couple with it? Look like they're made for each other!
Actually, they are.
Have them racked side by side but yet to dive into it - have great expectations though!

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:28 am

This is part of my plan too. I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried them together.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

KaOsphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KaOsphere » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:03 am

ianbortolotti wrote:
RGB wrote:Could someone please tell me why the colored LED lights on the modules blink like they are having some sort of spasm with the expert firmware installed?
They blink in yellow when you access the advanced zoom mode and modify one of the sliders. When you exit the zoom mode, the sliders of the channels that aren't on the same position as their actual value blink until you move them through the position of their actual value. Took me a while to figure that out!
I owe you Sir ! This made me :hmm: for a long time now, since no demo ever show this behaviour, and this feature,unless I'm mistaken is not really documented, I wondered if my batumi had a malfunction !

Thanks a lot ! :hail:
Sig !

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:26 am

Samara owner, here!
Yes, they are made for each other but Samara is way way more than a perfect pair for Batumi. Features a whole set of functions that always come in handy. Attenuation/inversion, offset, audio/cv mixing, sub mixing, clock sequencing...

zer0trill
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Xaoc Batumi: Yes? No?

Post by zer0trill » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:16 am

love the discussion and being new to muffwiggler, i must show my respect to khyber for disagreeing to an overwhelmingly unanimous opinion of the batumi. i may be a few years later, however i love the looks of the batumi. i am still quite new to the modular world and am just getting my rack going. i have been enjoying the looks of the clep diaz, so i have a question for anyone with an answer; how do the batumi and clep diaz compare with each other?

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:59 am

zer0trill wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:16 am
love the discussion and being new to muffwiggler, i must show my respect to khyber for disagreeing to an overwhelmingly unanimous opinion of the batumi. i may be a few years later, however i love the looks of the batumi. i am still quite new to the modular world and am just getting my rack going. i have been enjoying the looks of the clep diaz, so i have a question for anyone with an answer; how do the batumi and clep diaz compare with each other?
If it’s mainly for LFOs then Batumi is much more powerful. It’s a quad LFO, you get a choice of different shapes and can manage the relationship between them all: phase, amplitude etc. + CV control the sliders. The extra functionality more than makes up for the increased size.

CD has a CV sequencer though so if that’s something you want then this is a great choice. Especially for a small system.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:24 am

I'm about to order a Batumi. First LFO module.

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:41 am

It's probably the only module in my rack that I would never consider selling.

hel1
Common Wiggler

Post by hel1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:22 am

well, I would sell it if I had to, but:

Batumi? Yes!

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:09 am

I started off with just Batumi, liked it really well, loaded up the most complex firmware, and more often then not found that it didn't do what I wanted, or I had to grab a manual mid-session, that killed the flow.
Although it did and does so many nice things! I often find myself using the phase mode to get somewhat predictable repetition in my patch (instead of a seq), moving 'events' around by phase to my liking.

So I put the Poti expander next to it, as well as Samara. And reverted back to the most basic firmware.

Samara V2 adds a LOT to the package. It can do S&H, min/max, clamping and switching. And of course the much needed attenuation and offsetting. Although the latter is fixed at 5v, so you get a positive running LFO. And mixing...
But, packed with all that power, all those ins and outs, I was amazed by the sheer number of i/o sockets when they're next to each other, it cries out to be (self) patched.

Wait lemme picture that
20201121_141158.jpg
Sorry for the crappy lighting... But yeah. 36 patch points.

So what often happens is I'm patching around 2 or 3 LFO's, search for another modulation source, and then find one on the same LFO with a different waveform. Or see a free mix output hanging around. Or start using 2 mixed square outs for a pseudo sequence. And it all keeps the timing context I've setup from the start, be it by resets, clock or phase.

Ok, I should get apatching now.

Gambeat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Gambeat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:22 pm

I got Batumi but I also have Doepfer quad lfo which I use more often as straightforward option for modulation

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:48 pm

Batumi is very quirky but fun LFO. Love mine so far but I do prefer my Kermit MK3 for different reasons. Both complement each other well.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:06 pm

Gambeat wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:22 pm
I got Batumi but I also have Doepfer quad lfo which I use more often as straightforward option for modulation
Tell me more! I mean, in this modern landscape of excellent and reasonably priced quad devices offered by Xaoc and Intellijel (e.g., Batumi, Zadar, Quadrax, Quad VCA), it's often easy for us beginners to ignore any alternatives (for whatever reason).

Gambeat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Gambeat » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:05 pm

studio460 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:06 pm
Gambeat wrote:
Tell me more! I mean, in this modern landscape of excellent and reasonably priced quad devices offered by Xaoc and Intellijel (e.g., Batumi, Zadar, Quadrax, Quad VCA), it's often easy for us beginners to ignore any alternatives (for whatever reason).
From my own experience with buying modules I know that You dont have to pay hefty price to get modules that do the job exactly as You need it . You want to buy expensive one later ;)

jsco
Common Wiggler

Post by jsco » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:14 pm

studio460 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:06 pm
Gambeat wrote:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-145-4
(or https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-145-4v)

it's cheap, it's small, it's quad, each channel has triangle and square outputs. if that's all you need then it's pretty hard to beat. i actually just ordered one of these to replace my batumi because i never use any of its fancy features.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:03 pm

Whoops! Wrong thread!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”