Xaoc Batumi: Yes? No?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Ebotronix
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Xaoc Batumi: Yes? No?

Post by Ebotronix » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:01 am

xaoc_tech wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:59 am
I'm sorry, but this is unclear. What is a "saw ( no up, no down?)" ?

With both ASGN jumpers off (i.e. NOT installed) Batumi makes a trapezoid waveform on the ASGN outputs. It always did, nothing happened to it.
there are 3 jumpers on the PCB
#1 is the sync Jumper
#2 and #3 is the saw up saw down jumper
and where are the triangle / trapezoid jumpers?

xaoc_tech
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xaoc_tech » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:40 am

I have already explained that the waveform is selected by a COMBINATION of these two jumpers. Two jumpers create FOUR possible combinations: on+on, on+off, off+on, off+off.

Ebotronix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:46 am

ok my mistake ,I though there are seperated outputs for saw and triangle

Dadodetres
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dadodetres » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:25 pm

Hello!
Im interested in having 4 LFO´s with the same 90 degrees out of sync. I need the rate to be between 2 and 10 minutes slow.

Im reasearching and maybe the XAOC Butami can do this, setting it to QUAD mode.
The manual says that negative voltage in the "frq/ph/div" CV input will allow an extended frequency range up to 53 minutes, but doesnt specify if all the LFO`s will react to this lowering of frequency, while mantaining the "90 degrees out of phase" relation of the QUAD mode . Maybe only LFO 1´s rate changes.

Is there another module that can do this?

thanks!

adaris
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adaris » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:28 pm

Dadodetres wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:25 pm
Hello!
Im interested in having 4 LFO´s with the same 90 degrees out of sync. I need the rate to be between 2 and 10 minutes slow.

Im reasearching and maybe the XAOC Butami can do this, setting it to QUAD mode.
The manual says that negative voltage in the "frq/ph/div" CV input will allow an extended frequency range up to 53 minutes, but doesnt specify if all the LFO`s will react to this lowering of frequency, while mantaining the "90 degrees out of phase" relation of the QUAD mode . Maybe only LFO 1´s rate changes.

thanks!
I've never confirmed the 53 minute maximum, but Batumi can definitely do over 10 minutes in Quad mode with negative CV, and the first LFO does serve as the master controlling the frequency of the other three LFOs. The manual is pretty clear about this, but I just tested it on mine to be sure and can confirm that the phase relation of the 4 LFOs stays the same when slowing down the master LFO with CV.

Dadodetres
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dadodetres » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:32 pm

thanks!!!

muleskinner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by muleskinner » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:04 pm

Dadodetres wrote:
Ornament and Crime
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Plaits

AnalogDigits
Common Wiggler

Post by AnalogDigits » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:11 pm

muleskinner wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:04 pm
Dadodetres wrote:
Ornament and Crime
Like many wigglers, I have a Batumi and an o_C (and actually, a uo_C, too). They’re reallly not equivalent, though.
For me, the playability/fun-factor of the Batumi is much greater than the Ornament & Crime. But the o_C is more flexible.

Check out videos, see which one appeals to you.

Dadodetres
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dadodetres » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:26 pm

The o_C seems to require menu-diving, is this correct?
I dont want to menu diving, unless is 100% necesary.

bronzebygold
Common Wiggler

Post by bronzebygold » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:32 pm

Dadodetres wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:26 pm
The o_C requires a ton of menu diving. I keep it around for the quantizer and chaos modes, but I've never found it fun to use, at least not with the original firmware. Hemispheres is a bit easier to set up.

Hastur
Common Wiggler

Post by Hastur » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:01 pm

bronzebygold wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:32 pm
Dadodetres wrote:
The o_C requires a ton of menu diving. I keep it around for the quantizer and chaos modes, but I've never found it fun to use, at least not with the original firmware. Hemispheres is a bit easier to set up.
The o_C is not fun to use as is, but is really powerful, and has a lot of functions that can be sequenced/controlled by CV.
I wanted roughly the same thing as Dadodetres, in my case a quad slow clockable lfo, and I reduced my choices to o_C and Batumi. As I was starting with modular, I went the o_C route to have more options... I was not disappointed, even if I know I'll end up with a Batumi down the road :lol:

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:12 pm

This is all TLDR. Batumi's still the one for me, and it probably is for you too unless you hate fun and are allergic to modulation. (If you do legitimately have a modulation allergy I apologize in advance for my hasty remarks, I'll buy you a new Epi-Pen if you want but it was worth it to get you to try the Batumi.)

AnalogDigits
Common Wiggler

Post by AnalogDigits » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:23 pm

Dadodetres wrote:
Then you don't want an Ornament & Crime.

Dadodetres
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dadodetres » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:27 pm

thanks !!

muleskinner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by muleskinner » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:55 pm

AnalogDigits wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:23 pm
Dadodetres wrote:
Personally I found Batumi more menu-divey than the o_c and, beyond doing really basic stuff, obtuse and frustrating. Different strokes and all that... 😉

robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotfunk » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:00 pm

Maybe the expert firmware, but I can't imagine how you could call the default firmware menu-divey. One button alternates between four modes, each with a LED for feedback.

guitargyro
Common Wiggler

Post by guitargyro » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:58 pm

muleskinner wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:55 pm
AnalogDigits wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:23 pm
Dadodetres wrote:
Personally I found Batumi more menu-divey than the o_c and, beyond doing really basic stuff, obtuse and frustrating. Different strokes and all that... 😉
Are you sure you’re talking about the same Batumi? What menu are you referring to exactly? One on the back of the module? I guess I missed that when I was installing.

I can’t imagine anyone NOT wanting or needing a Batumi. I think most people could easily modulate a decent sized 7u case with just one 10hp LFO module.

I tend to WAY underuse Batumi’s potential. Not because I don’t know what it can do, it’s just that for me it tends to just excel at providing NUMEROUS general purpose LFOs across numerous sound modules.

If I want something for providing more complex wave shapes, I tend to gravitate towards Maths. Stages, Quadrax, or even Function. Obviously there is a lot of overlap between many of those (especially Stages and Batumi), but it’s just the habit I have found myself falling into. Yeah lately I basically use it as a clocked Ochd, for better or for worse. But with all the other I mentioned, it just works really well for that purpose and I’m fine with that. Enough so that I am even considering getting another one just for use with my PanMix.

guitargyro
Common Wiggler

Post by guitargyro » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:00 pm

Double post

muleskinner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by muleskinner » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:18 am

guitargyro wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:58 pm
Are you sure you’re talking about the same Batumi? What menu are you referring to exactly? One on the back of the module? I guess I missed that when I was installing.
A menu doesn't have to involve a screen. Zoom mode on Batumi is a menu dive, albeit without a screen,so you end up with sliders in the 'wrong' place. It's very far from a 'one knob per function' module unless you ignore the zoom mode and alternate firmwares.

It also requires a negative voltage patched to the frequency input to get the free-running LFOs running at what I would define as 'slow'.

Hastur
Common Wiggler

Post by Hastur » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:15 am

muleskinner wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:18 am
guitargyro wrote:
A menu doesn't have to involve a screen. Zoom mode on Batumi is a menu dive, albeit without a screen,so you end up with sliders in the 'wrong' place. It's very far from a 'one knob per function' module unless you ignore the zoom mode and alternate firmwares.

It also requires a negative voltage patched to the frequency input to get the free-running LFOs running at what I would define as 'slow'.
This. It's a case of menu-diving vs manual-diving :lol:
But yeah, to each his own. Dadodetres, I suggest you carefully read the Batumi manuals (standard and expert) before making your decision, I you haven't already done so.

guitargyro
Common Wiggler

Post by guitargyro » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:36 am

muleskinner wrote:
guitargyro wrote:

Hey, you’re obv the “expert”. I’ve never heard anyone complain about the standard firmware (or the expert til now) and I haven’t found the need to change anything myself. So my ignorance sounds bliss and I’ll be sticking with mine from your description.
Last edited by guitargyro on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nexgen23
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by nexgen23 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:48 pm

jarvis wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:06 pm
It's pretty handy and does things that your current (and prospective) LFOs can't do.

Phase and quadrature modes are great for "cascading" modulations, where the outputs are all at the same frequency but at varying offsets (phases) of the 1st LFO.

I often use division mode as a clock divider, but it's great to have lfo's that are at multiples of the 1st LFO.

Plus they're working on some open source firmware updates, so I'm sure some people will come up with some interesting modes for it.
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I am interested in how you use Batumi as a clock divider. I assume you can send an external clock into one of the sync inputs, and then use a square wave LFO to divide it?

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by megarat » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:20 am

nexgen23 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:48 pm
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I am interested in how you use Batumi as a clock divider. I assume you can send an external clock into one of the sync inputs, and then use a square wave LFO to divide it?
Exactly, use an external clock to set its tempo, put the Batumi in divide mode, and the sliders do the rest.

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zerodivide » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:22 am

I would love a 2-channel Batumi in 4hp

Matt_L
Common Wiggler

Post by Matt_L » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:42 am

guitargyro wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:36 am
muleskinner wrote:
guitargyro wrote:

Hey, you’re obv the “expert”. I’ve never heard anyone complain about the standard firmware (or the expert til now) and I haven’t found the need to change anything myself. So my ignorance sounds bliss and I’ll be sticking with mine from your description.
The "expert firmware" by Matthias Puech (just a name someone gave to it, not saying it is for experts!) lets you, among other things, set the level of the LFOs by: moving a fader (to select it), holding the button, then adjusting the second fader. I switched to this firmware for this feature alone, since it freed up attenuators. But yeah, it's not really that "fun" to do, feels a little tedious.

In a way, menu-diving is just part of a continuous spectrum of learning modules. Once you quickly learn the interface, you can usually zip through the menu (except for those long-presses, ugh). I can navigate o_c pretty quickly now. For me, o_c is just too powerful (and too cheap) for me to ever want to sell it. But I have a Batumi too and it's awesome!

Ochd is a pretty rad LFO module if you're just looking for a little movement that doesn't need to be clocked.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”