The Definitive Connecting Power Thread

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

faustusb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by faustusb » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:56 pm

FYI for others with maxed out uZeus bricks, the new tiptop uZeus Boost/Mantis 3000mA power supplies are showing up in stock at multiple vendors today. I picked one up from meme for $30.

Avjr

Re: Psu-3 5v led

Post by Avjr » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:38 pm

beegee wrote:I just found out that the 5v led on my doepfer psu-3 is blinking.
What is wrong?
All modules seem to work fine (none of them use 5v)

I noticed the same thing today happening with my system. Do you know what it can be?

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:15 pm

* edit Nevermind answer found ...

Fugal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fugal » Thu May 05, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi all, I just upgraded from a TipTop uZeus to a 4ms Row Power 40. I didn't buy the 4ms flying bus cables because I just assumed the TipTop uZeus bus cables would fit, but this is not the case. Rookie mistake. The uZeus flying bus cables have a double-16pin connector, whereas the 4ms flying bus cables only have a single-16pin connector

4ms:

Tip Top:

Until I order and get the 4ms flying bus cables shipped, is it possible to safely connect and daisy chain multiple Tip Top flying bus boards to the 4ms Row Power 40? I remember seeing in the other thread that other users just cut one of the extra 16 pin connectors off.

Is this safe?

Natsche
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Natsche » Sun May 08, 2016 3:52 am

I had no response in DIY thread so I will try here.

I have to buy a socket to connect power to my PSU3.
I will get a C14, switchable with a fuse holder socket, but I have to choose between a 1 pole or 2 pole fusing. Is it important for Eurorack ? My main power is 230V, if that make a difference.

And how do I "earth-shield" my system if my case is made out of wood, do I connect to the metal railing ?

psykon
Common Wiggler

Post by psykon » Sat May 14, 2016 8:28 am

So I've just got two malekko modules. The Wiard Envelator (2010 version) and the Richter Noisering. Im quite confused about how to connect these. There also seems to be no Manual for the Envelator and the Noise Ring Manual only deals with the functions on the front panel.

The connector on the Envelator looks like this

Now i thought that -12v would be on the side of the connector marked with "1". But on the Noisering, the connector looks like this:

On the noisering there is a stripe on one side of the connector, which I thoght indicated the -12v side of the connector. But this side is marked with pin "10", and pin "1" is on the opposite side of the "stripe".

Can anyone with one of those modules help me out. Or do I misinterpret the "stripe" on the noisering connector (and pin 1 means -12v)?

Thanks!

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Pittsburg Modular Reverse Connection Protection

Post by akavalve » Thu May 19, 2016 3:25 pm

Just noting this here in case anyone else runs into the same issue. I plugged a PM ADSR module in backwards and fried it. I emailed them and Perry at PM was really helpful. It turns out they protect their modules against reverse connections using two 10 ohm 1/8 watt resistors as fuses. I replaced the burned resistor and the module is good to go again.

SuspiciousMind
Common Wiggler

Post by SuspiciousMind » Thu May 26, 2016 5:07 pm

So, the best way to check where is your -12V, regardless the red stripe, is to check where is the triangle ??

psykon
Common Wiggler

Post by psykon » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:30 pm

As it turns out: While the Malekko Manuals do not show how to connect the modules, the faq on the site does:
How do you align the power ribbon cable?
If your power ribbon cable is disconnected from the board on your module, you will need to re-connect it with the red stripe in the proper position on the connector. You’ll see that all the connectors on our modules are labeled with a small “1” and “10” in the corners of the pin header. It’s the “10” that you want to line up with the -12V on your power bus, and this is traditionally lined up with the red stripe on the ribbon cable. For modules that have the pin header oriented vertically, the bottom is the “10” pin, and should get the -12V connection. PLEASE NOTE: the Wiard Oscillator has a vertical power connector. That ribbon connects with the red stripe down!
I've connected the modules like that (-12v on pin 10) and everything went fine :)

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:12 pm

My question is the same as rhunt001's which was never answered.

Is it safe to assume that -12 is at the bottom of a Doepfer module?
I just got a 143-9 QLFO which has no markings. It arrived with power cable connected red stripe down.
JohnLRice wrote:
rhunt001 wrote:Ah, so without saying it outright, Doepfer modules tend to have the -12V on the bottom of the module as a rule? This is the way I received it from AH, and the way I followed it according to that manual, but when I powered up the suitcase there was no indication of power.

After plugging into the module and attempting to get some output, it still was not making any noises or lighting up... hmm. :waah:
Well, I think there 'may" be exceptions so, be careful! If you are unsure you might want to wait until you can talk to someone who owns this module and can confirm some things for you.

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:36 am

The answer is Yes.
I found the answer here:
http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A100_bus_orientation.pdf

Colinmalloycram
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Colinmalloycram » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:21 pm

I put together my first few modules and the happy ending kit. Just wanted to thank all the contributors to this thread for ensuring that there wasn't a puff of smoke when I flipped the switch. :yay:

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:11 am

Recently I re-racked my system. I paid very close attention to how I was plugging the power cables in to the modules. Since my bus was keyed I paid less attention to plugging the cables in to the bus.

When I powered it up I smoked a module. Turns out there was a keyless ribbon cable in the mix. It was plugged in to the bus upside down. I don't know where it came from.

I've been doing this for a while so even experienced wigglers can screw up on power.

etantloh
Common Wiggler

Haven't seen a response to this...

Post by etantloh » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:04 pm

I've seen this question asked a couple times but didn't see where it was answered.. I did start from the last page and worked my way back so perhaps I missed it but as I've been keyed in on finding the answer I think I would have seen it :hmm:

I'm using 2 104hp Moog skiffs and am fairly certain I only need one uZeus if I use the right PSU (15v, 2000+mA). The issue is getting power to the 2nd skiff. I got this tip from a wiggler I purchased a couple modules from - he's powering 14 modules using well under 1000mA:

rowImage

I bought extra flying busboards for the uZeus and connected one to the 3rd busboard connector on the uZeus. Then I finished it underneath a module with a slightly longer M3 screw, and an extra bolt as a buffer to keep the cable from being pinched. I then connected the last flying busboard to the end of that in the 2nd skiff.

According to ModularGrid, my system comes in at 1063 mA +12V | 436 mA -12V | 0 mA 5V. The 2 PSUs I currently have for my uZeus are rated at 1.1 and 1.4mA. so I ordered a 15v, 2400mA PSU - this should be adequate for power? I know I'll have to switch the jumper on the back of the uZeus to get all 500mA for -12v (uZeus provides 100mA by default). Anyone see any issue with this configuration?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/308745

Thank you in advance for your responses. I didn't want to post a new thread in the general discussion until I gave it a shot here despite (unless I missed it) similar questions not getting a response previously. :despair:

xImage
All things in modulation
-----------------------------
Current Rig:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/305274

etantloh
Common Wiggler

Post by etantloh » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:56 am

Here's what finally happened:

I offset both modules (top and bottom row) with 2 nuts on each screw on the back of the module, using slightly longer M3 screws (don't recall exact length, 10mm I believe). The screws are tightened keeping the modules securely in place, but there is enough clearance that I can easily move the ribbon cable (it is not being pinched). Appearance-wise it looks pretty good/clean other than the modules not being completely flush with the case, and I can't think of a reason why that would be bad as long as the normal care was taken (kept in a clean environment, away from anything that might be spilled or could otherwise damage the synth).

Thoughts? Opinions?

All things in modulation
-----------------------------
Current Rig:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/305274

nucleus
Common Wiggler

Post by nucleus » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi everyone i have a doepfer a150 dual vcs which came with the power cable unattached. Can anyone confirm that the -12v is on the lower side of the rear connector? I did assume that is the case even after reading this thread but what got me thinking is that connecting it like that makes it really hard to position right next to other modules especially ones with deep pcbs right at the edge because the back connector is wider than the module itself at the front so it need be connected next to modules with a bit more space to one side. i can still work it like that and try with another power cable but it seems a bit weird :)

Can anyone confirm please that the -12v is at the bottom and not at the top?

Thanks

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:51 am

nucleus wrote:Hi everyone i have a doepfer a150 dual vcs which came with the power cable unattached. Can anyone confirm that the -12v is on the lower side of the rear connector? I did assume that is the case even after reading this thread but what got me thinking is that connecting it like that makes it really hard to position right next to other modules especially ones with deep pcbs right at the edge because the back connector is wider than the module itself at the front so it need be connected next to modules with a bit more space to one side. i can still work it like that and try with another power cable but it seems a bit weird :)

Thanks
Yes

talkboxert
Common Wiggler

Post by talkboxert » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:10 pm

Ok I'm looking for the right orientation on the following:

Animodule SOB v2 (sleeker panel)

Doepfer dual VCA A-132-3 the older version with the CEM VCA chips

PCB doesn't mention -12

charonme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by charonme » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:14 am

spotify, bandcamp
Heptaphasis - DIY 3HP 7-phase quadrature sine LFO

nucleus
Common Wiggler

Post by nucleus » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:36 pm

dubonaire wrote:
nucleus wrote:Hi everyone i have a doepfer a150 dual vcs which came with the power cable unattached. Can anyone confirm that the -12v is on the lower side of the rear connector? I did assume that is the case even after reading this thread but what got me thinking is that connecting it like that makes it really hard to position right next to other modules especially ones with deep pcbs right at the edge because the back connector is wider than the module itself at the front so it need be connected next to modules with a bit more space to one side. i can still work it like that and try with another power cable but it seems a bit weird :)

Thanks
Yes

cheers for the reply :)

DvStcH
Learning to Wiggle

Connecting female to female

Post by DvStcH » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:46 pm

I 've just built my first 104hp case to compliment a eurorack drum machine and benjolin my mate built me.
i've got a flying buss cable with 10 outputs on it, i've got about 12-13 modules i would like to include, i'm using 9 of the 10 connectors and i was wondering if it was possible to bodge another couple of cables out of the spare connector...
I'm thinking just pin between two females creating a daisy chain.
Does anyone else have experience of this?
(I'm still nowhere near the 80% mark btw)

Ta muchly!

JohnLRice

Re: Connecting female to female

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:12 pm

DvStcH wrote:I 've just built my first 104hp case to compliment a eurorack drum machine and benjolin my mate built me.
i've got a flying buss cable with 10 outputs on it, i've got about 12-13 modules i would like to include, i'm using 9 of the 10 connectors and i was wondering if it was possible to bodge another couple of cables out of the spare connector...

Ta muchly!
It's not the best thing to do but it will work. You can just plug another flying bus into the first one. (EDIT: plug the second flying buss into the first one using the connector that is closest to where it plugs into the power supply)

Or if you want a little mild DIY you can just add additional male connectors to the flying buss or make little mini flying buss extensions.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Connecting female to female

Post by BaloErets » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:55 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
DvStcH wrote:I 've just built my first 104hp case to compliment a eurorack drum machine and benjolin my mate built me.

Ta muchly!
It's not the best thing to do but it will work. You can just plug another flying bus into the first one. (EDIT: plug the second flying buss into the first one using the connector that is closest to where it plugs into the power supply)

Or if you want a little mild DIY you can just add additional male connectors to the flying buss or make little mini flying buss extensions.

Came to this thread wondering if this was possible. Everytime I head about daisy-chaining flying bus cables, it was always in the context of making the cable longer, i.e. attaching the 2nd cable to the end of the 1st cable.

I have my power supply in the 2nd row of a 9U case, and was hoping there was a solution to have more distribution across multiple rows (still well within power specs).

Really appreciate your post.

Farfield
Common Wiggler

Used Doepfer A-156 came with the cable connected upside down

Post by Farfield » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:03 am

Damn. One of those things you think will never happen to you because you're always careful about connecting the red stripe to -12v.

I just got a Doepfer A-156 dual quantizer which I connected carefully. Didn't look at how the power cable was connected to the module though, looks like it was upside down.

Another reminder to always check, even when the module comes with the power cable connected. I bought it used, they must have just attached a power cable without looking.

Did I permanently kill the module or is there anything that can be done?

Farfield
Common Wiggler

Post by Farfield » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:48 pm

Well, looks like the A-156 is more forgiving of this than other modules, I tried again when I came home yesterday and it's working fine now! :party:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”