The Definitive Connecting Power Thread

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:24 pm

Farfield wrote:Well, looks like the A-156 is more forgiving of this than other modules, I tried again when I came home yesterday and it's working fine now! :party:
:cloud: :yay:

merchant
Common Wiggler

Post by merchant » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:00 pm

Just wanted to give a shout-out to Synovatron, they do very good Doepfer <-> Analogue Systems power adapters.

http://synovatron.blogspot.co.uk/p/adap ... ables.html

bhinton
Common Wiggler

Post by bhinton » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:23 pm

tl;dr version: installed a DIY (not by me) Elements and a Z3000mkii in a trogotronic case with 10A of power. Elements appeared to cause a great deal of instability in the Z3000 and a Titan Oscillator in the same system. Have read threads elsewhere implying power potentially being an issue with DIY MI builds, Any remedies for this, or am I stuck with an Elements that would need to live in its own little case w/dedicated power?

long version:
Not sure if any power experts can help here but worth a shot. Definitely seems to be a power issue.

Recently installed two new modules in a half-full Trogotronic Collier case that had tons of its 10A power still to spare: a tiptop Z3000 Mkii, and a DIY build of a MI Elements from an ebayer who has apparently done several successful DIY builds of MI stuff.

At first I thought something was wrong with the Z3000 - it was horribly unstable,behaving as if the oscillator was under control of a random signal for a full half hour after starting up, and even then constantly shifting +/- 5 to 10 hz in between 10-15 second bouts of stability.

Then I noticed that hitting the play button on Elements always caused the Z3000 to go up 2-3 hz, and that feeding audio into elements increased the instability of not only the Z3000, but also a Titan oscillator in the same system. A third oscillator (Mannequins Mangrove) was the only one unaffected.

I removed Elements. and while the Z3000 still sounds a bit off (probably needs calibration) and goes into pitch shifts for several seconds when patched or rematched, the constant shifting is gone. That Titan is once again stable (though now has about 1/4 tone difference between the two wave outputs, which it did not before - probably just a random thing).

Any advice or perspective appreciated.

WarpHead
Learning to Wiggle

Post by WarpHead » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:11 am

I'm going to be installing my first Eurorack over the next couple of weeks. I'm going to read this thread religiously over that period.

shoottofill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shoottofill » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:47 pm

So I have the Tiptop Audio Mantis case as my first case and have 4 modules for it (all Pittsburgh Modular).
I have the Mixer, ADSR and Dual VCA running just fine (have Mother 32 running with it, but NOT installed in this case).
I get the 8 step sequencer (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/pittsburg ... ncer-mk-ii) and every time I plug it in the one -12v light goes out and the +12v on whatever section its plugged in to (A, B, or C) goes out. It doesn't matter which other section I plug it into, that section's +12v light will go out. Is this too much for this board or am I missing something?

And yeah, I'm very new to all of this so thank you in advance.

shoottofill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shoottofill » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:33 pm

shoottofill wrote:So I have the Tiptop Audio Mantis case as my first case and have 4 modules for it (all Pittsburgh Modular).
I have the Mixer, ADSR and Dual VCA running just fine (have Mother 32 running with it, but NOT installed in this case).
I get the 8 step sequencer (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/pittsburg ... ncer-mk-ii) and every time I plug it in the one -12v light goes out and the +12v on whatever section its plugged in to (A, B, or C) goes out. It doesn't matter which other section I plug it into, that section's +12v light will go out. Is this too much for this board or am I missing something?

And yeah, I'm very new to all of this so thank you in advance.
Bad cable! All good now!

robin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by robin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:51 am

Hey there, Modular newbie here.
Does anyone know where to find long ribbon cables? I've got my modules built into a folding mixer case, and would prefer longer cables so that i don't have to disconnect modules before closing it (you have to fully fold it up before it lets you fold it back down).

Also is there any reason against using longer ribbon cables (maybe more than 50cm)?

Thanks in advance.

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:30 am

Has anyone switched the power cable for a angled one on a Doepfer suitcase? Has it made it possible to lie down the case on a table?

Thanks

Edit: just got one and found out for myself. The answer is no.
Last edited by Avjr on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Batlikecreature
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Batlikecreature » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:28 am

robin wrote:Hey there, Modular newbie here.
Does anyone know where to find long ribbon cables? I've got my modules built into a folding mixer case, and would prefer longer cables so that i don't have to disconnect modules before closing it (you have to fully fold it up before it lets you fold it back down).
There was recently a discussion about longer power cable over on the modular subreddit: thread.

jpkelley123
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jpkelley123 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:26 pm

I want the Tip Top Mantis case and I can't find it in stock anywhere!

oaklandzzzoo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oaklandzzzoo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:33 pm

Edit: nvm

sbmani
Common Wiggler

Post by sbmani » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:02 pm

i'm trying to make a set of manual gates according to the doepfer DIY site.

so i'm still very new to DIY and making eurorack modules, so forgive me if this is a silly question:

the 10 pin header is really parallel rows of 5 pins. a pair of pins is for +12v. so if i want 2 gates in my module, should i run one line into each independent circuit from each +12v pin - i.e. one pin providing +12v for each gate - or would it make any difference if i ran one +12V pin to both gates sort of in parallel? i guess the resulting voltage coming out the gate would be different but i could manipulate the resistors to take care of that.

basically, do both +12v pins on the header need to be used?

jbid55
Common Wiggler

Will a 5.5x2.5mm Barrel Work on a 5.5x2.1mm Socket?

Post by jbid55 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:58 pm

I have a 4MS Row Power, but didn't buy the power brick because I already had one. Turns out its 5.5x2.5mm on the tip vs 4ms recommended 2.1mm pin.

Will my power supply still work on the Row Power? Internet says yes, but I just want to make sure.

Handmedown
Common Wiggler

Post by Handmedown » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Just received my Cwejman VCO-2RM and plugged ribbon cable in to power as usual (red to -12). It shut down power for the whole bus board. Searched on Muffs for answer and got it. Cable had to be plugged in opposite to everyone else. No docs in box to indicate this had to be done. Yaa for Wowa making it protected from wrong polarity. Finally found the doc on Cwejman site. It was at very bottom of page on modular page. I didn't see it because I had not gone to very bottom as there was no text between paragraph on connecting and pdf doc. Anyway happy now and it works. :-)

CSCD
Common Wiggler

Post by CSCD » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Guys, please help a modular noob out. As my first foray into modular, I decided to build a tiny FX skiff to go with my Dreadbox Erebus. So I ordered Mutable Clouds, Peaks & Shades, and an Erica Synths Pico Case (/w power supply).
Now, the problem is as follows:
1. Clouds doesn't work at all - no LEDs flashing, no sound coming out, nothing;
2. Peaks doesn't work either. However, one of its LEDs flashes for half a second when I turn on the power, then everything goes dead;
3. Shades seems to work fine, but only if it's the only module connected. As soon as I connect Peaks or Clouds, Shades goes dead, too.

I've made sure that the polarity is correct, and there was no hiss/kaboom/smoke, so I suspect that the power supply in the Pico Case doesn't output enough power (although it should be plenty enough according to the specs). But I'm not great with electronics - I'm just a musician who wanted to explore a different instrument.

So, what should I do before I return it to the store? What exactly should I check regarding the power supply? And is there a way to determine whether the modules are fine, seeing that I'm the only synth guy in my area, so I can't try them with someone else's system? Thanks in advance, and I apologize if my questions are stupid - I've just never dealt with this stuff before.

nickkwas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nickkwas » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:10 am

Hey everyone, my Intellijel Metropolis seems to be causing noise in my system. Danjel says its due to either my power supply lacking decent ground returns or not enough filter capacitance. I have a monorocket 12u case. Anyone have any ideas on how to remedy the issue?
---------------------------------------
http://wandertalk.bandcamp.com
http://www.instagram.com/nickkwas

Watch every episode of Modular on the Roof here

joe_par
1-Post Wiggler

DOEPFER A160/161 MODULE INSTALLATION

Post by joe_par » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:27 pm

Hey guys,

So on my a160 and a161 modules, nothing is marked as "-12v" all there is are these strange symbols that kind of look like : 11cc+
11RR+

any idea which is the -12v? Thanks!

p:

ARunner
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ARunner » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:47 pm

This thread was reassuring and super helpful.

I got a Maths&microZeus. Checked all the arrows&stripes, checked power 3xblue NP - Everything works, nothing blew up.

:tu:

Np8191
1-Post Wiggler

Connecting 4ms SISM Out header to Qplfo In header

Post by Np8191 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:08 pm

[/img]Hi, I have a question if anyone knows. I want to connect the two modules with their in and out headers on the back of the PCB board. I was wondering, does the red stripe line on the ribbon cable connect along side of the white painted line on the board?? I posted couple pics to best describe what Im asking.
Did I make the right connection?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jenz
Voltage Controlled Corpse

Molex cable right way connection?

Post by jenz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:59 am

I know it's a stupid question but I don't want to mess-up my Synthrotek super power... So, what is the right way to connect a molex cable from the power module to a bus board and from a bus board to another bus board for daisy chaining?

Thanx!

jbid55
Common Wiggler

Post by jbid55 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:15 pm

lol so pointless to ask questions in this thread. No one ever answers.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Molex cable right way connection?

Post by DJMaytag » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:31 pm

jenz wrote:I know it's a stupid question but I don't want to mess-up my Synthrotek super power... So, what is the right way to connect a molex cable from the power module to a bus board and from a bus board to another bus board for daisy chaining?

Thanx!
You don't. That's how.

Let's say you daisy chain 5 boards together. By the time you get to the 5th board, you've added the resistance of the previous 4 boards to the incoming power, meaning each successive board is getting less and less power. Do you want to reduce the amount of power available to the modules connected to that last board? Probably not.

The best way to connect multiple boards to one PSU is to run them in parallel off a distribution block, with each board getting its own power from that single point. It's not a very easy way to do it, but it's by far a better way to do it.
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

sallyshapirofreak
Learning to Wiggle

fss spectral devastator Mystery Power Header

Post by sallyshapirofreak » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:34 pm

anyone know concretely which side is -12v?Image

future sound systems spectral devastator

Plop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Plop » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:53 am

Judging by the orientation of the two capacitors next to the power header -12 is at the edge of the board. Those are polarized filter caps and the orientation is always the same, for +12 it's the positive side to +12 and the negative side to ground and for -12 it's the negative side to -12 and the positive side to ground.
The white stripe on capacitors always indicate the negative side so to make sure you should flip the board and follow the trace to those capacitors.Image

sallyshapirofreak
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sallyshapirofreak » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:34 pm

thank you thank you. very helpful!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”