The Definitive Connecting Power Thread

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

christian-heiko
Learning to Wiggle

Post by christian-heiko » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:07 am

is there something like a bi-plug for power? my bus-board has 20 connectors and for my next reconstruction-plan i need 21 :)

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 am

christian-heiko wrote:is there something like a bi-plug for power? my bus-board has 20 connectors and for my next reconstruction-plan i need 21 :)
viewtopic.php?p=2329954#2329954

MoogCloud
Common Wiggler

Division of power

Post by MoogCloud » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:28 am

Here's another n00b question:

If the Doepfer A-100PSU3 / A-100 power supply 3, states that it can provide 2,000 ma in +12 does that mean that only 1/3 of that is available to each of the 3 bus boards? Or, is it wired so that one bus could pull 900 ma? I'm just trying to understand the flow of power in the case. :cloud:
Mother 96, GRP R24, and 18U of EuroMagic.
Modular Grid
My SoundCloud

JohnLRice

Re: Division of power

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:31 pm

MoogCloud wrote:Here's another n00b question:

If the Doepfer A-100PSU3 / A-100 power supply 3, states that it can provide 2,000 ma in +12 does that mean that only 1/3 of that is available to each of the 3 bus boards? Or, is it wired so that one bus could pull 900 ma? I'm just trying to understand the flow of power in the case. :cloud:
Typically this: " wired so that one bus could pull 900 ma" :tu:

MoogCloud
Common Wiggler

Re: Division of power

Post by MoogCloud » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:05 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
MoogCloud wrote:Here's another n00b question:

Typically this: " wired so that one bus could pull 900 ma" :tu:
Thanks John.... that makes sense to me. :yay:
Mother 96, GRP R24, and 18U of EuroMagic.
Modular Grid
My SoundCloud

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Tue May 30, 2017 5:46 am

hi all, i'm thinking to have a skiff using a blank mother-32 case.
i'm thinking to do this for the power source:

pardon my photoshop skill, but you should get the point.
i'm thinking to drill & cut the case to make room for 4hp uZeus w/ flying bus board on the back of the case. i'm not savvy enough (or maybe just lazy) with electricity to setup a dedicated power bus board. but i don't want to use my HP for power module either, it creates heat near the other modules and also uzeus need to be positioned on far right which is a problem in my plan.
i know there's several powered case options but the mom case is the perfect size & design for my current purpose.
so this is what i propose.

it shouldn't be a problem right?
anyone have tried something similar?

rembrandtvanrijn
Common Wiggler

Post by rembrandtvanrijn » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:36 am

Assembling my first case just now and I have a few mismatches.

This cable is from my Synthrotek MST Stereo, the stripe and > line up on the module end but not the Bus Board end.

This one is from my Pittsburgh analog replicator, the stripe and > line up on the bus board end but not the module end.

What can I do..do I need to order new cables??

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:45 pm

rembrandtvanrijn wrote:Assembling my first case just now and I have a few mismatches.

This cable is from my Synthrotek MST Stereo, the stripe and > line up on the module end but not the Bus Board end.

This one is from my Pittsburgh analog replicator, the stripe and > line up on the bus board end but not the module end.

What can I do..do I need to order new cables??
If you bought the modules new I'd contact the dealer or manufacturer and explain the situation. There is a slight chance that the cables were made 'wrong' on purpose because the modules were made 'wrong'? It's more likely that the cables were made wrong accidentally though so they should send you correct cables at no charge.

If you purchased the modules used you'll need to verify where the -12v is on the modules and if they are in the 'normal/correct' position you'll either need to buy new cables or fix the ones you have.

By fix I mean cut off the incorrect connector and put a new one on.

morphlex
Common Wiggler

oops

Post by morphlex » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:13 am

Sorry, please delete this reply.

bernwerlin
Common Wiggler

Post by bernwerlin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:30 pm

delete please

pseudopatch
Learning to Wiggle

a thread filled with lots

Post by pseudopatch » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:29 am

wow, i feel like there could be a whole lecture based on this thread alone. thanks for starting 'spbaker'
i know that the doepfer standard is to orient the -12v towards the bottom, when the IDC connector is oriented vertically (up + down.) but what is the doepfer standard when the IDC is oriented horizontally? still working my way through this massive thread, so apologies if this is addressed. question 2: how do you tell which part of the circuit is -12v by looking at the circuit board? by looking for the ground? :deadbanana:

pseudopatch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pseudopatch » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:35 am

could anyone address this part of propertyof's post? :
propertyof wrote: it creates heat near the other modules
this is regarding his case for not using power modules on same row as audio + cv source modules.

could the heat emitted for a power module really be a problem? should I try to put less delicate or more passive modules next to my power modules?

:cgs: :cat1:

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:56 am

Found this switching power supply in my garage :

=Melcher K Series, LK2540-7R, +15v, @5 amps (or at +12v, see below) 85-264v AC input.
https://belfuse.com/resources/PowerSolu ... Series.pdf

OK, before it was in my garage...........a few years ago I picked-up 3 of these (new-in-box-old-stock) at a surplus store. At that time I did not have a modular, but I knew these would be put to good use, some day.

These are for heavy industry, and f you read the specs, it looks quite robust.
True, it is +15v, but they are adjustable with a single 16.2k ohm resistor....making it +12v (+12v, 0v, -12v).
There is a 12v version, too.......no resistor necessary.

I installed one in my 1200mA rack this evening, being very careful to read the manual before-hand. Everything seems ok so far.....all modules running smoothly. Dead silent. Measures +12.01v

Formerly, I was using the Doepfer A100 DIY1's (linear) power supply. The Doepfer Kit #1 was working, but the heatsink fins would get almost too hot to touch....and the same with the outboard transformer.

Now this new one is over-kill for my 2x84hp synth, but this allows me room to grow. Running for hours now, it's sealed metal case is barely warm to the touch.

Obviously buying this model "brand new" will set you back $1000.......so I'm not recommending it for a budget system.
On ebay they often go for $400-$600.
The +12v unit's part# is LK2320

I paid 50 bucks......a score ?
Last edited by Midiot on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

neil.johnson
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neil.johnson » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:17 am

Midiot how are you powering that supply? I hope not direct from the mains.

Neil
Random ramblings :: http://www.njohnson.co.uk
SSI parts and more :: https://www.cesyg.co.uk

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:25 am

neil.johnson wrote:Midiot how are you powering that supply? I hope not direct from the mains.
Neil
It accepts an AC or DC input.
The model I have is the LK2540 which accepts 85v thru 264v AC (at 47 to 440 Hz).....so it's good anywhere on the world (above water)......just need a different power cord or a plug adapter.

Last edited by Midiot on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

neil.johnson
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neil.johnson » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:31 am

Midiot wrote:
neil.johnson wrote:Midiot how are you powering that supply? I hope not direct from the mains.
Neil
It accepts an AC or DC input.
The model I have is the LK2540 which accepts 85v thru 264v AC.....so it's good anywhere on the world (above water)......just need a different power cord or a plug adapter.

Right, I understand that, BUT.... in your original post:
Midiot wrote:Found this switching power supply in my garage :

=Melcher K Series, LK2540-7R, +15v, @5 amps (or at +12v, see below) 85-264v AC input.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/3534372

OK, before it was in my garage...........a few years ago I picked-up 3 of these (new-in-box-old-stock) at a surplus store. At that time I did not have a modular, but I knew these would be put to good use, some day.
you linked to the DK version which is a DC-input only configuration, and this might confuse folks into buying the wrong item, and then a big bang ensues.

Neil
Random ramblings :: http://www.njohnson.co.uk
SSI parts and more :: https://www.cesyg.co.uk

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:37 am

neil.johnson wrote:
you linked to the DK version which is a DC-input only configuration, and this might confuse folks into buying the wrong item, and then a big bang ensues.

Neil
You are correct. I edited the first link to correct that. Thanks.
Lesson.....read datasheets and catalogs very carefully.

benrossm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by benrossm » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:10 pm

hey there, im just posting this here to be safe as ive never had an unlabeled module. i just got a delptronics ring mod module. it included a 16pin cable. it has 10 pins on the board. no label for -12 or red stripe. i am to assume that the pins on the left are the red strip/-12 since the pins on the right are +12?Image

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:59 pm

Uploaded two days ago - essential!

[video][/video]

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:36 pm

smetak wrote:... essential!
Boy ... that's no shit! This video should be posted in it's own thread and tagged with a sticky. Aside from questions like "is this good for dubstep?" and "can I use my calculator's wall wart to power my Euro rack?" this video tackles what is most likely one of the (if not ~THE~) most asked questions among the entire membership of Miffwugglers.

Great find Member *smetak ... jolly good find indeed! :tu:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Gaetan
Common Wiggler

Post by Gaetan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:45 am

Thanks for the video. Very informative, I'm a total beginner in Eurorack and I found it crystal clear, which is very welcome considering how scary and confusing that whole issue is.

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:44 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
smetak wrote:... essential!
Boy ... that's no shit! This video should be posted in it's own thread and tagged with a sticky. Aside from questions like "is this good for dubstep?" and "can I use my calculator's wall wart to power my Euro rack?" this video tackles what is most likely one of the (if not ~THE~) most asked questions among the entire membership of Miffwugglers.

Great find Member *smetak ... jolly good find indeed! :tu:
You're welcome! I found the video most enlightening, considering that it deals with the most intense moment of the Fine Art of Modular - correctly connecting these damn panels to their respective sockets. Always a pain in the arse!

And just like him, I have a Doepfer s&h, a148, which is a nightmare to connect. This has really been godsend!

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:02 pm

benrossm wrote:hey there, im just posting this here to be safe as ive never had an unlabeled module. i just got a delptronics ring mod module. it included a 16pin cable. it has 10 pins on the board. no label for -12 or red stripe. i am to assume that the pins on the left are the red strip/-12 since the pins on the right are +12?Image
I'm going with ~yes~ (in response to your query). The "red stripe" is simply a reference to help one connect the cable in proper orientation to the power distribution gadget (whether that gadget be a soft bus, or distribution card, or distribution board). That said, if you connect the ribbon cable to the distribution gadget so that the red stripe is aligned with the negative pins, then connect the other end of the ribbon cable to the module with the red stripe also aligned with the negative pins on the module's PCB.

And risking redundancy, "yes" it appears as though the negative pins on the PCB of the module you've posted a picture of are on the left of that image (said another way, the pins closest to the "Delptronics" logo appear to be ~negative~).

I hope this message reaches you before you've had any problems, it seems your post and the question you've presented were skipped over.

Best of luck Member *benrossm.

8-)
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
benrossm wrote:hey there, im just posting this here to be safe as ive never had an unlabeled module. i just got a delptronics ring mod module. it included a 16pin cable. it has 10 pins on the board. no label for -12 or red stripe. i am to assume that the pins on the left are the red strip/-12 since the pins on the right are +12?Image
I'm going with ~yes~ (in response to your query). The "red stripe" is simply a reference to help one connect the cable in proper orientation to the power distribution gadget (whether that gadget be a soft bus, or distribution card, or distribution board). That said, if you connect the ribbon cable to the distribution gadget so that the red stripe is aligned with the negative pins, then connect the other end of the ribbon cable to the module with the red stripe also aligned with the negative pins on the module's PCB.

And risking redundancy, "yes" it appears as though the negative pins on the PCB of the module you've posted a picture of are on the left of that image (said another way, the pins closest to the "Delptronics" logo appear to be ~negative~).

I hope this message reaches you before you've had any problems, it seems your post and the question you've presented were skipped over (this response is only about nine months late ... geez!). Oh well, perhaps it will help others that stumble across this.

Best of luck Member *benrossm.

8-)

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquidsn » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:26 am

Question. I have a Intellijel 7u 104hp case. Even though I haven't had any modules that require +5V, I get confused about it.

What does it mean to have a +5V rail? My case has 1500mA +5V, is it automatically used when a 16pin connector is used?

Why is there +5V Adapters?

I just got into modular this year, so I'm guessing there used to be power adapters that didn't have +5v?

Thanks for the noob question.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”