The Definitive Connecting Power Thread

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

BailyDread
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BailyDread » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:14 pm

I have a LPZW WK1 that has only one row of 4 pins on the module but the cable has 2 rows of 4 on the connector... which side do I plug in? I wish this were written in the manual :despair:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi and welcome liquidsn :party:
liquidsn wrote: My case has 1500mA +5V, is it automatically used when a 16pin connector is used?
It's only used if the module needs it and a 16 pin to 16 pin cable is used. There are some modules that have 16 pin connectors on them but they don't use +5v at all, those pins are just not connected to anything. (like some Synth Tech modules etc)
liquidsn wrote:Why is there +5V Adapters?
Some power supplies only provide +-12v rails, no +5v rail, and a lot of power distribution buss boards don't have on-board +5v regulators so if you had a setup with no +5v available in your case at all and needed to use a module that requires +5v you might use a little +5v adapter.

Franktree
Common Wiggler

Post by Franktree » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:24 pm

Quick question I'm hoping someone knows the answer to. I just bought a Tip Top One sample player used. It came with a 16 pin to 16 pin power cable, but the back of the module isn't like anything I've seen before. There's one set of 5 pins and one set of 8 pins. There's no 10 pin or 16 pin connection. So I'm not clear what I'm supposed to do? Just hook half of the 16-pin cable up to the module and the full 16 pin cable into my case power? Is there some special cable this particular module has that just wasn't provided with the module?

Any One owners out there who can help? Thanks in advance!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:51 pm

Franktree wrote:Quick question I'm hoping someone knows the answer to. I just bought a Tip Top One sample player used. It came with a 16 pin to 16 pin power cable, but the back of the module isn't like anything I've seen before. There's one set of 5 pins and one set of 8 pins. There's no 10 pin or 16 pin connection. So I'm not clear what I'm supposed to do? Just hook half of the 16-pin cable up to the module and the full 16 pin cable into my case power? Is there some special cable this particular module has that just wasn't provided with the module?

Any One owners out there who can help? Thanks in advance!
Some newer modules that are narrow and have densely packed PCBs use just a single row of power pins to save space. On the ONE notice the top set of pins is 6 (not 5) and likely used for programming the module at the factory. The bottom row of 8 pins it the one to use for power, notice the arrow pointing to the bottom pin and text that says "red line"? 8-)

Franktree
Common Wiggler

Post by Franktree » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:15 pm

JohnLRice wrote:Some newer modules that are narrow and have densely packed PCBs use just a single row of power pins to save space. On the ONE notice the top set of pins is 6 (not 5) and likely used for programming the module at the factory. The bottom row of 8 pins it the one to use for power, notice the arrow pointing to the bottom pin and text that says "red line"?
That's incredibly helpful, thanks! So I just connect one side of the 16-pin cable and not the other, or I need a special cable? Assuming I just use a regular cable and connect only half, does it matter which side I use? I assume no?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:04 pm

Franktree wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:Some newer modules that are narrow and have densely packed PCBs use just a single row of power pins to save space. On the ONE notice the top set of pins is 6 (not 5) and likely used for programming the module at the factory. The bottom row of 8 pins it the one to use for power, notice the arrow pointing to the bottom pin and text that says "red line"?
That's incredibly helpful, thanks! So I just connect one side of the 16-pin cable and not the other, or I need a special cable? Assuming I just use a regular cable and connect only half, does it matter which side I use? I assume no?
Either side of the connector is fine since the two rows are connected in parallel:

Franktree
Common Wiggler

Post by Franktree » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:54 am

Perfect. Thank you!

S0210
Common Wiggler

Post by S0210 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:12 am

So what's your take? It's a cheap DSPsynth module.
Is (1) the +12 and (2) the -12 or the other way around?

Kind regards, András

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:32 am

S0210 wrote:Image

So what's your take? It's a cheap DSPsynth module.
Is (1) the +12 and (2) the -12 or the other way around?

Kind regards, András
What is the brand and model number of the module? :hmm: :despair:

I would "guess" based on the picture that #2 is the -12v but, guessing can be expensive! :eurosmoke:

S0210
Common Wiggler

Post by S0210 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:48 am

JohnLRice wrote:What is the brand and model number of the module? :hmm: :despair:
I would "guess" based on the picture that #2 is the -12v but, guessing can be expensive!
It's from the notoriously unreliable Jan Ostman & DSPsynth. The brand has a very bad reputation. Their modules are automatically removed from search results of ModularGrid.

But I think you're right. I've just found a relevant schematics of the DIY version and "D1" sign is clearly readable on the PCB.

Cheers, Andras

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:58 am

S0210 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:What is the brand and model number of the module? :hmm: :despair:
I would "guess" based on the picture that #2 is the -12v but, guessing can be expensive!
It's from the notoriously unreliable Jan Ostman & DSPsynth. The brand has a very bad reputation. Their modules are automatically removed from search results of ModularGrid.

But I think you're right. I've just found a relevant schematics of the DIY version and "D1" sign is clearly readable on the PCB.

Cheers, Andras
:tu: Seems the "+" sign didn't get printed well on the PCB but it's clearly visable in the build documents:

LazyCircuit
Common Wiggler

Post by LazyCircuit » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:50 am

Rather odd question.

I know you can transplant a Behringer model D into a Eurorack case but can you use the existing case to power a busboard and run modules?

Picking a case up might be cheaper than a 4ms pod.

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:53 am

LazyCircuit wrote:Rather odd question.

I know you can transplant a Behringer model D into a Eurorack case but can you use the existing case to power a busboard and run modules?

Picking a case up might be cheaper than a 4ms pod.
Actually there was a guy at NAMM who announced his "Boat" PSUs for the Moog M32 (and possibly DFAM?) so you could repurpose those as eurorack cases if you had taken the Moog out to rack in your euro case. It's a busboard and PSU solution that fits inside the Moog case.

The Behringer cases are a similar design so if there was demand for it, I could see the guy potentially making them for the Behringer synths as a well (Model D, Neutron).

Unfortunately, the man and his company's name is completely escaping me at the moment, and I couldn't find anything useful from a cursory google search, but the video should still available in SonicState's NAMM coverage videos, which is where I saw it. People on Muffs will definitely know him, he's a modular maker. Wears a suit and hat, I think.

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:07 pm

Found it, it's STG Soundlabs doing the "Boat Rocker". :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ra7Bs-dfRg

S0210
Common Wiggler

Post by S0210 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:02 am

Deleted.

l1fef0rm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by l1fef0rm » Tue May 07, 2019 8:54 pm

Just lost a new 48x Max Pod due to this, fried the whole bus board (so much smoke!). I will never make this mistake again. Luckily my modules all seem to have survived, I only now tested each one, really fast (just happened). I was shaking with fear and anger. Who keys a multi cable upside down??? Oh, 4MS, that's who.

If my modules sound ok and function correctly, I shouldn't worry about any issue showing its face later on because of this, correct? I've never had anything like this happen before.

[/img]Image

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue May 07, 2019 9:38 pm

l1fef0rm wrote:Just lost a new 48x Max Pod due to this, fried the whole bus board (so much smoke!). I will never make this mistake again. Luckily my modules all seem to have survived, I only now tested each one, really fast (just happened). I was shaking with fear and anger. Who keys a multi cable upside down??? Oh, 4MS, that's who.

If my modules sound ok and function correctly, I shouldn't worry about any issue showing its face later on because of this, correct? I've never had anything like this happen before.

[/img]Image
:eek: :doh: :mad: :cry: Ouch! Which modules did you have connected? I'm assuming at least one didn't have a shrouded header? I'm sure you've already contacted 4ms about this but if not do it right away.

l1fef0rm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by l1fef0rm » Tue May 07, 2019 9:52 pm

I had a Doepfer A-119, MI Ripples, and a MI Peaks clone on the multi power strip. none of which are slotted (they were in proper). I just popped the power to the header because it was keyed and both the pod and cable came from 4ms. I thought nothing of it. The A-119 is now dead, it was the first on the chain. When I plug it into my main box (Pittsburgh Modular Structure 96) the whole thing powers down (not trying that anymore).

I will be contacting 4MS first thing tomorrow (before calling up my regular shop where I bought it. Ultimately, I feel like its my fault. I should not have trusted the header. Won't make this mistake again, this is certain.

l1fef0rm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by l1fef0rm » Tue May 07, 2019 10:16 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
l1fef0rm wrote:Just lost a new 48x Max Pod due to this, fried the whole bus board (so much smoke!). I will never make this mistake again. Luckily my modules all seem to have survived, I only now tested each one, really fast (just happened). I was shaking with fear and anger. Who keys a multi cable upside down??? Oh, 4MS, that's who.

[/img]Image
:eek: :doh: :mad: :cry: Ouch! Which modules did you have connected? I'm assuming at least one didn't have a shrouded header? I'm sure you've already contacted 4ms about this but if not do it right away.
I forgot to thank you for your concern, it means a lot. :hobbes: Everyone is so nice here. :love: Gear loss hurts.

neil.johnson
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neil.johnson » Wed May 08, 2019 5:50 am

That is clearly a defective product. You have suffered loss. If I were you I would be talking to the shop first (and if they shrug their shoulders then the manufacturer) about repair or replacement of any damaged modules, plus a new cable.

Neil
Random ramblings :: http://www.njohnson.co.uk
SSI parts and more :: https://www.cesyg.co.uk

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Wed May 08, 2019 8:28 am

That's why I always check and double check the cables before powering up - most tense thing there is.

I check even if the cable comes connected to the module right out of the box - even from a reputable brand - mistakes can happen.

Coincidentally, just mounted a new rig this weekend with a 4MS Sampler - it came connected with its own cable - but, nonetheless, checked the connection, especially considering the price of the thing.

Already posted here on the thread, but can't recommend the clip enough:

[video][/video]

Essential viewing!

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Sat May 11, 2019 11:00 pm

I have a bit of a problem. I have a Harvestman (pre-IME) Polivoks VCF. The header is unshrouded and does not have any markings indicating the appropriate direction for the power cable.

I can't find a manual that gives me any indication of the direction either.

Anyone happen to have any info on this one?

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sat May 11, 2019 11:24 pm

Does the module have diodes around the header area?

If so, there should be an indication of the polarity of those diodes. Depending on the diode, the indication varies (A line, a stroke etc) The diode with its indicator facing away from the header should be the +12v, and the the opposite for the -12V.

A picture would help :)

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun May 12, 2019 3:13 am

luchog wrote:I have a bit of a problem. I have a Harvestman (pre-IME) Polivoks VCF. The header is unshrouded and does not have any markings indicating the appropriate direction for the power cable.

I can't find a manual that gives me any indication of the direction either.

Anyone happen to have any info on this one?
I don't have mine any more and can't remember. Did you try to contact the company? They are nice folks and can help you! :tu: If you don't want to wait and want to make a reasonable guess, a Google image search turned up two different versions showing power cables attached. The cables are likely attached correctly . . . . .probably . . . :hmm: :hihi:

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Mon May 13, 2019 6:04 am

Had the same exact problem with connecting the Polivoks a few months ago - yep, there are no markings and nothing in the manual - can't for the life of me understand why they they have to make this so friggin' hard! - the only way of doing it right is contacting them directly (not at home right now, so the module itself is out of reach and can't find their reply - must have deleted it by accident).

I remember that I was "almost certain" of the polarity, until I received a reply from them and found out I was completely amiss. So, DO NOT connect it before contacting them! Their reply is usually very prompt.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”