Mutable Instruments Rings

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:57 am

Last week a friend came over with a diy rings. I compared it with my factory rings, and to my surprise it sounded completely different! Even the knobs reacted differently, for instance the attenuators on the diy changed the sound when nothing was plugged in. That does not happen on my factory one. What could be the explanation for this?
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

Swain Voorman
Common Wiggler

Post by Swain Voorman » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:58 pm

SB-SIX wrote:Last week a friend came over with a diy rings. I compared it with my factory rings, and to my surprise it sounded completely different! Even the knobs reacted differently, for instance the attenuators on the diy changed the sound when nothing was plugged in. That does not happen on my factory one. What could be the explanation for this?
SB-SIX wrote:diy rings

deltaAquarii
Common Wiggler

Post by deltaAquarii » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:40 pm

Last edited by deltaAquarii on Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:29 pm

SB-SIX wrote:the attenuators on the diy changed the sound when nothing was plugged in. That does not happen on my factory one.
This is normal for both diy and factory builds. If nothing is plugged in the attenuators act like a fine tune for that parameter.

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:03 pm

This is one hell of an awesome thread! Started reading it quite some time ago and listening to all the wonderful music posted here and I mean ALL OF IT! (except where some of the links are no longer active). Started out kinda interested in Rings, had one ordered by page 30. Now that I've caught up on page 90 with Rings in my rack it's time to see if I have learned anything here.
Thanks all!
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Mutable Instruments Rings

Post by exper » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:16 am

Has anyone stumbled on a good setting for sitar/tanpura-like sound with rings?
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Various Euro:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=221800

yalivec
Common Wiggler

Post by yalivec » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:34 am

Hi all. I'm trying to simulate the sound of a kalimba using Rings. But so far I'm not quite satisfied what I hear. Maybe someone can tell me the right settings, maximally similar to the sound of kalimba? Thanks for advance!

andandand
Learning to Wiggle

Post by andandand » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:06 pm

I just got rings. Loving it. Such a nice thing to get during all this social isolation.

charliechuck01
Learning to Wiggle

Post by charliechuck01 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:11 pm

So I just got the Oscillosaurus Black/Gold build of Rings delivered, and it doesn't seem to power on... No audio comes from the output, and the lights do not come on. I've tried several different power cables and two different cases. I do hear a pop thru my speakers when I insert/remove a cable from the audio out, so it seems like SOMETHING is happening in there... Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can diagnose and repair this on my own? I'd really like to avoid having to ship this back to the retailer and wait for a replacement, for obvious reasons. Thanks!!

skautkurt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skautkurt » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:13 am

The lights should definitely light up at startup. Do you have a multimeter at hand? You could check if there is a short on the board by testing the continuity between +12V, -12V and 0V. If that is so, and you are a bit handy you could try to fix it (but that will probably make it impossible to return it)
Good luck!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”