Mutable Instruments Rings

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 pm

Yeah I had the same exact same issue with rings and the beatstep pro; I think your rings is miscalibrated. I had to change the cv octave transposition in the midi setup program for the bsp and recalibrate feeding it the right voltages as detailed in the rings manual.

chuckleone
Common Wiggler

Post by chuckleone » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:38 pm

_lampshade_ wrote:Yeah I had the same exact same issue with rings and the beatstep pro; I think your rings is miscalibrated. I had to change the cv octave transposition in the midi setup program for the bsp and recalibrate feeding it the right voltages as detailed in the rings manual.
Edit: thank you, I followed the calibration procedure and it worked!

Markthom
Common Wiggler

Post by Markthom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Just two Rings and some delay.....

[video][/video]

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Rings, Befaco Burst and Joranalogue Filter 8.

[video][/video]
New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:58 am

Does anyone have any tips for Disastrous Peace mode? I keep thinking "oh yeah, I should play with that!", briefly thinking "yeah this sounds nice" and then completely failing to be able to integrate it into my music.

Just yesterday I had a patch going where I thought it would work and I just couldn't get it to fit in. Switched over to Tides 2018 with Different Pitches mode and that went fine. :hmm:
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

filtermod
Wiggling with Experience

Post by filtermod » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:16 am

starthief wrote:Does anyone have any tips for Disastrous Peace mode? I keep thinking "oh yeah, I should play with that!", briefly thinking "yeah this sounds nice" and then completely failing to be able to integrate it into my music.

Just yesterday I had a patch going where I thought it would work and I just couldn't get it to fit in. Switched over to Tides 2018 with Different Pitches mode and that went fine. :hmm:
I've had pretty good results by using cv on the 1v/oct input while manually adjusting the chord type by ear on the fly.
A little clunky perhaps, but it yields some nice musical results once you get a feel for it.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:46 pm

starthief wrote:Does anyone have any tips for Disastrous Peace mode? I keep thinking "oh yeah, I should play with that!", briefly thinking "yeah this sounds nice" and then completely failing to be able to integrate it into my music.
I feel the same way about all my digital modules with chord modes. I often lack the stamina to set up something precise using several sequencers. It's especially inimical since I could play the same progression without any setup, in seconds, using a keyboard.

The alternative is to use CV more randomly and just letting something happen but then it often turns out half-bad and it's hard to build a track around it.

That said, I did this thing with the Disastrous Peace mode:
http://soundcloud.com/verklighetensfolk ... apostasies

To be fair though, in this track I'm keeping the DP chords rather separate from the rest of the track.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Yeah, somehow trying to sequence chords along with the V/OCT in Mimetic Digitalis wasn't working out very well for me.

Looking back at my notes, it seems when I've used this mode it was generally for drones :)
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Bitmud
Common Wiggler

Post by Bitmud » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:01 pm

fjoesz wrote:rings & magneto

http://www.electromagnet.nl/chillnoges.mp3
Lovely, I enjoy it.
Try to patch the forward / reverse "<>" button. It's fun, too.

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:27 pm

yes! I like to do that with probability triggers from varigate

indifference point
Learning to Wiggle

Post by indifference point » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:25 pm

starthief wrote:Does anyone have any tips for Disastrous Peace mode?
Here's my first exercise with DP mode, nothing terribly exciting but i think it makes a pretty nice techno-ish chord stab

btw I love that 'cured apostasies' track lisa posted above :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/user-567052371/9a-1

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:04 am

indifference point wrote:btw I love that 'cured apostasies' track lisa posted above :tu:
Thanks! :loves: It's my most popular track this year so it seems to have struck a chord (;)) with some listeners. I like it better now than I did when I first recorded it. It's cute.

vssp
Common Wiggler

Post by vssp » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:56 am

Hi all, here after another ambient record with Rings as the only sound source + effects. It's a one take record without any overdubs.
Modules used: Malekko Voltage Block, Malekko Noise, Mutable Rings, 2hp Filt, Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4, Intellijel Rainmaker, Mutable Clouds, Strymon Magneto, Strymon El Capistan, Audio Damage Shapes, Mannequins Three Sisters, uClouds, WMD MSCL.

Hope you'll enjoy!

Orange
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Orange » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:22 pm

vssp wrote:Hi all, here after another ambient record with Rings as the only sound source + effects. It's a one take record without any overdubs.
Modules used: Malekko Voltage Block, Malekko Noise, Mutable Rings, 2hp Filt, Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4, Intellijel Rainmaker, Mutable Clouds, Strymon Magneto, Strymon El Capistan, Audio Damage Shapes, Mannequins Three Sisters, uClouds, WMD MSCL.

Hope you'll enjoy!

Thanks for sharing!
Yeah perfect, 10 out of 10. Highly recommended.

Oscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by Oscillator » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:55 am

Hello Rings owners.

Could you please clarify/confirm the behavior of the Odd and Even outputs in the polyphony modes, as I cannot find an answer to my confusion in the manual and only got the module a few days ago.

Is it that in order for both outputs to be active, a sequence of note voltages has to be provided. If I simply feed the input with noise without any note information, only one of the outputs is active and the same applies if I only feed one note. The output only changes (from Odd to Even) on a subsequent note.
I am asking because I hard pan the Odd and Even outputs and unless there is a sequence of notes, I remain with either just the left or right channel. So, monophonic mode splits partials, but polyphonic mode splits notes?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:00 am

Oscillator wrote:So, monophonic mode splits partials, but polyphonic mode splits notes?
That's correct. I believe Strum will switch voices (and thus outputs) if it doesn't auto-detect a new note.

This is why I don't hard-pan Rings usually, at least not without converting LR to mid-side (giving it nice width without jumping back and forth).

Though I have found if you're using a pair of Rings, if you layer them then the left/right switching can sound pretty cool :)

vssp
Common Wiggler

Post by vssp » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:34 am

Orange wrote:
vssp wrote:Hi all, here after another ambient record with Rings as the only sound source + effects. It's a one take record without any overdubs.

Hope you'll enjoy!

Thanks for sharing!
Yeah perfect, 10 out of 10. Highly recommended.
Hi Orange, wow thanks a lot, I highly appreciate! :)

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:32 am

I hacked the rings firmware with the following changes:

1) With something plugged into v/oct, the frequency knob jumps in octaves, not semi tones
2) With nothing plugged into v/oct, the frequency knob is quantized to semi tones, not any frequency
3) the module sounds one octave higher

If this would be practical for some else, the firmware (wav + diff) is linked below, as usual I take no responsibility for damage caused to your rings using this firmware, use at your own risk! That said, I can't imagine this could harm your rings, the changes to the code are quite minimal.

And please be aware that clicking the wav, might start playback on your device, you really don't want that. So turn down the volume or suffer hearing damage!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ka5ug4d8udn2 ... e.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyrms8w9s2eq5 ... .diff?dl=0

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:24 am

atte, could you provide some info on why you decided to do those mods specifically? Just interested in your motivations.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:27 am

I'm curious too. I think if I were going to start digging around in the firmware, I'd be likely to transpose it down 1-2 octaves rather than up one :)

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:09 am

Well, this is how I'd like my rings to work.

I always control pitch with CV, so tuning rings up/down on the knob is something I never do. I'd like to have it transpose an octave, though, esp in a live situation.

I try to keep v/oct in lowest octaves (0-2V) for better tuning in general. And since I don't use the lower octave in original firmware, I might as well have 1-2V range play from 0-1V.

Does that make sense?
Last edited by a773 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Yep definitely. Nice job!

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:25 pm

atte wrote:1) With something plugged into v/oct, the frequency knob jumps in octaves, not semi tones
2) With nothing plugged into v/oct, the frequency knob is quantized to semi tones, not any frequency
Oh, nice! As someone who makes simple, melodic tunes I approve of this alteration. :hyper:
New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.

bloc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bloc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Is it hard to make a alt firmware where the mode switching is made easy? i do find my self never using the easter egg mode just because of the whole knob and button combo :/

Return to “Eurorack Modules”