Mutable Instruments Rings

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:10 pm

bloc wrote:Is it hard to make a alt firmware where the mode switching is made easy? i do find my self never using the easter egg mode just because of the whole knob and button combo :/
I'm working on a frmware with that and some other ideas.

bodydouble
Common Wiggler

Post by bodydouble » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:17 pm

Excited that alternate firmware's starting to be worked on for this great module! Any chance quantization a la Tides Parasites could be implemented?

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:26 pm

bodydouble wrote:Excited that alternate firmware's starting to be worked on for this great module! Any chance quantization a la Tides Parasites could be implemented?
the blinkey orangey-yellow mode (western chord mode) is quantized. long press to access.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:19 pm

vssp wrote:Hi all, here is an ambient piece based on Rings fed with noise and processed trough Clouds, Three Sisters and Rainmaker, hope you'll enjoy!

[video][/video]
late to the party but incredible man! all your stuff really

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:23 pm

I just released a firmware that makes it easier to switch to/from the easter egg mode. I called it Rings Live.

You can download it from here:
https://github.com/boourns/eurorack/rel ... _live_v1.0

This is just a very minor change from the official firmware, making it easier to enter/exit the "disastrous peace" easter egg. You can now enter easter egg mode by doing a long press of the "mode" button when already in an alternate mode.

So, for example, from the initial "modal resonator" (solid green LED) mode, to get to easter egg mode:

long press "mode" button for 5 seconds. Green LED is now slowly pulsing, you are now in FM Voice mode.
long press "mode" button again for 5 seconds. Both LEDs will flash red/green. You are now in easter egg mode.
long press "mode" button again for 5 seconds. You are back in "modal resonator".

Short presses of the mode button have not changed functionality with the stock firmware, specifically

While in easter egg mode, a short press of "mode" changes the FX applied to the string synth.
While in an alternate mode (pulsing mode LED), a short press of "mode" returns to the original 3 modes.
While in an original mode, a short press of "mode" iterates through the three original modes.

You can still enter/exit Easter egg mode via handshake
Last edited by th0mas on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:34 pm

th0mas wrote:I just released a firmware that makes it easier to switch to/from the easter egg mode. I called it Rings Live.
YES! thank you :tu:

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:40 pm

this was a blast to play, hope it comes across in the recording. the 3 oscillators of the blue lantern CMOS XOR are set to lightly beat against each other, then their frequency is lightly modulated with an LFO to move it around a bit more, which goes into Rings and keeps the rhythmic strumming very alive sounding. without the envelope bringing it in an out, it sounds like an electric tanpura.

[video][/video]

Nino
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nino » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:09 pm

I still have to laugh when i think back to one concert where i was playing with a band and in the middle of two songs having to give Rings a secret handshake 8-) (and of course tune it again, which made me a bit nervous to mess up things)

That alternate fw would have made things a lot easier back then, will see if i update this after i am still in love with Plaits' chord model.

Btw Rings now also does things when long pressing the buttons....what again was that, i forgot :(, and where is it gone to in your version?

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Nino wrote:I still have to laugh when i think back to one concert where i was playing with a band and in the middle of two songs having to give Rings a secret handshake 8-) (and of course tune it again, which made me a bit nervous to mess up things)
Aahaha, that is awesome - that is precisely the target audience for this firmware :)
Btw Rings now also does things when long pressing the buttons....what again was that, i forgot :(, and where is it gone to in your version?
So, from one of the basic three modes, first long press enters the "alternate mode" (like Rings stock firmware), then while in that "alternate mode" a subsequent long press will enter easter egg mode. Previously that long press would have just returned to the original mode. While in easter egg mode, another long press of "mode" to return back to the original mode.

In other words, doing long press of the mode button, on stock firmware it would alternate modes original -> alternate -> original -> alternate, and on the firmware I just released it iterates through the 3 different modes.. original -> alternate -> easter egg -> original -> alternate -> easter egg

vssp
Common Wiggler

Post by vssp » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:50 am

zerodivide wrote:
vssp wrote:Hi all, here is an ambient piece based on Rings fed with noise and processed trough Clouds, Three Sisters and Rainmaker, hope you'll enjoy!

[video][/video]
late to the party but incredible man! all your stuff really
Thanks a lot man, it's much appreciated! :) To put some noise into Rings is a sure value for strings like sounds...

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:12 pm

2 Rings, fed back into each other. When you do this, it seems sometimes it poops out and you need to pull the In cable to let it play again. Patch details in the SC description.
http://soundcloud.com/zymos/001-recording-2

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:35 pm

2 Rings come in after the trippy intro part. Details in the SC description.
http://soundcloud.com/zymos/insanity

mikebarber
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mikebarber » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:39 pm

rustyjaw wrote:
pichenettes wrote:Same procedure as to put it in the easter egg mode.
Oh, so I am an idiot :bang:

Haha, thank you!
don’t feel too bad! if it wasn’t for you asking this initially i would still be trying to figure it out. been banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out, but my under-caffeinated brain never thought to just do what i did to get there in the first place, hahaha

Outsider Sound Design
Common Wiggler

Post by Outsider Sound Design » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:33 pm

Abstract Sounds Mutable Instruments Elements 2x Rings.

[video][/video]
Sound Design / Sample Packs
www.outsidersounddesign.com

Test Series Sound Design Blog
www.outsidersounddesign.com/blogs/news

Experimental Music
www.adarkplotofland.bandcamp.com

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:46 pm

^ some pretty interesting sounds there

wildfrontiers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wildfrontiers » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:15 pm

th0mas wrote:I just released a firmware that makes it easier to switch to/from the easter egg mode. I called it Rings Live.

You can download it from here:
https://github.com/boourns/eurorack/rel ... _live_v1.0

This is just a very minor change from the official firmware, making it easier to enter/exit the "disastrous peace" easter egg. You can now enter easter egg mode by doing a long press of the "mode" button when already in an alternate mode.

So, for example, from the initial "modal resonator" (solid green LED) mode, to get to easter egg mode:

long press "mode" button for 5 seconds. Green LED is now slowly pulsing, you are now in FM Voice mode.
long press "mode" button again for 5 seconds. Both LEDs will flash red/green. You are now in easter egg mode.
long press "mode" button again for 5 seconds. You are back in "modal resonator".

Short presses of the mode button have not changed functionality with the stock firmware, specifically

While in easter egg mode, a short press of "mode" changes the FX applied to the string synth.
While in an alternate mode (pulsing mode LED), a short press of "mode" returns to the original 3 modes.
While in an original mode, a short press of "mode" iterates through the three original modes.

You can still enter/exit Easter egg mode via handshake
Thanks for this!

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Here's my new album Materials, which is a study of Rings in the dark-to-noisy spectrum I work in.

Each song except one uses the audio input, and that one's using FM mode. Some songs use two Rings.

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=3313209927 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

Patch notes for all tracks, plus a bonus track are here.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:06 am

starthief wrote:Here's my new album Materials, which is a study of Rings in the dark-to-noisy spectrum I work in.
Love it, and I especially appreciate the extensive patch notes. Henceforth, all “Rings always sounds the same” posts should get a link to this in response.

srogers
Common Wiggler

Post by srogers » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:23 am

starthief this is really cool! Looking forward to checking out the other tracks

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:43 pm

Great work starthief!

StrangeAttraction
Common Wiggler

Post by StrangeAttraction » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:21 pm

starthief
Amazing study of Rings and great post on your blog.
Recently I’ve been playing with feeding Rings strange sound sources and now I think I’ll freakin’ flip out if I hear another generic YouTube ambient made with Rings as a simple osc.
Noise, envelopes, sequences, field recordings. Feed them to it because Rings loves it all!

subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:26 am

Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy played by Rings.
Have a synthy holiday everyone.

[video][/video]

peaches27
Common Wiggler

Post by peaches27 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:29 pm

starthief - loving those darker noisy sounds, definitely a change from what I’m used to hearing from rings. Gonna have to experiment with Plaits later until I can find a way to squeeze rings into my system.

subdo- the merriment is much appreciated, a little off topic but I was just wondering the best way in your experience you’ve found to interface to the Empress pedal, I’ve had mixed results getting it to play nice with my rack, although I have limited equipment to do so.

Class
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Class » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:33 pm

starthief wrote:Here's my new album Materials, which is a study of Rings in the dark-to-noisy spectrum I work in.
That sounds lovely! Thank you.

subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:54 pm

peaches27 wrote: subdo- the merriment is much appreciated, a little off topic but I was just wondering the best way in your experience you’ve found to interface to the Empress pedal, I’ve had mixed results getting it to play nice with my rack, although I have limited equipment to do so.
I've not tried to do any CV integration with the expression pedal input but for audio I just attenuate before the Empress input to avoid clipping and then bring it back into the mix with a Rosie send return but I'd imagine any mixer would work.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”