Mutable Instruments Rings

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:05 am
Location: East Bay, Cali
Contact:

Post by behndy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:15 pm

i love how Rings sounds into delay and dirt.

[video][/video]
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:32 pm
Location: nyc

Post by liquidsn » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:36 pm

noob question.

If Rings can detect change in 1v/oct and excite the resonator, for example with a stepped LFO, then why is there a strum cv?

I was hoping that if you for example put a sine LFO into 1v/oct and then trigger the strum CV, it would sample & hold that CV in 1v/oct. But it doesn't.

So when the strum is hit, the pitch just goes along with the lfo through the string hit/decay. I'm guessing this is the purpose of it?

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3961
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Post by starthief » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:27 pm

Without Strum there would be no way to repeat notes at the same frequency :)
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

kpreid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:18 am
Location: California
Contact:

Post by kpreid » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:30 pm

liquidsn wrote:If Rings can detect change in 1v/oct and excite the resonator, for example with a stepped LFO, then why is there a strum cv?
If you want to play the same note twice in a row, change detection won't work for that.

If you want a change of pitch as a single note sounds (that isn't separate FM but glide or whatever in your pitch CV) then you need to override the change detection.

(And if you send an external exciter signal to IN, then you still need the trigger for polyphony. If you're using IN and monophonic mode, then STRUM does nothing.)

User avatar
Markthom
Common Wiggler
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Location: Galloway, Scotland
Contact:

Post by Markthom » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:51 pm

This uses 2 Rings, both in 2 op FM mode with the same settings, they are being fed 2 complementary melodies and it kind of gives an electric piano like sound

[video][/video]

User avatar
Xtheunknown
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:56 am

Post by Xtheunknown » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:40 pm

starthief wrote:Here's my new album Materials, which is a study of Rings in the dark-to-noisy spectrum I work in.

Each song except one uses the audio input, and that one's using FM mode. Some songs use two Rings.

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=3313209927 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

Patch notes for all tracks, plus a bonus track are here.


I’m finding a few albums called ‘Materials’ in Bandcamp. Might you be able to provide the URL or your artist name? I’m anxious to hear it!

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3961
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Post by starthief » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Xtheunknown wrote:I’m finding a few albums called ‘Materials’ in Bandcamp. Might you be able to provide the URL or your artist name? I’m anxious to hear it!
Starthief is my artist name, there's a link in my sig, and a direct URL to the album is:

https://starthief.bandcamp.com/album/materials
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by zerodivide » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:51 pm

Markthom wrote:This uses 2 Rings, both in 2 op FM mode with the same settings, they are being fed 2 complementary melodies and it kind of gives an electric piano like sound

[video][/video]
lovely!

User avatar
Markthom
Common Wiggler
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Location: Galloway, Scotland
Contact:

Post by Markthom » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:29 pm

zerodivide wrote:
Markthom wrote:This uses 2 Rings, both in 2 op FM mode with the same settings, they are being fed 2 complementary melodies and it kind of gives an electric piano like sound

[video][/video]
lovely!
Thanks!

DDJ
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:42 pm
Location: canada

Post by DDJ » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:13 am

An irregular looping baseline on Rings with live vocal mangling from Morphagene.

[video][/video]

User avatar
yawn_g
Common Wiggler
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:45 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by yawn_g » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Markthom wrote:This uses 2x Rings, one for the modal Glock type sound and the other for the brass type voice, achieved using some noise into the Strike input in sympathetic strings mode.

[video][/video]

Patch Notes
Voice 1 (Main Melody) – O&C Ch 1 to Rings to Neutron Sound Quad Attenuvertor (QAT), summed output of QAT to Dervish - Out

Voice 2 (Counter Melody) – O&C Ch 2 to Rings (White Noise to Strum) to QAT, summed output of QAT to Dervish - Out

Voice 3 (Bassline) – O&C Ch 3 to Orgone Accumulator (Detune mode, Sawtooth) Main out & Sub summed in Shades to Ripples (LP4 VCA) to QAT, summed output of QAT to Dervish - Out

Voice 4 (Post Rock Guitar thing) – O&C Ch 4 to Braids (Pluk, Noise into Trig) to Clouds in Lopping Delay Mode, mix and reverb at full – Out

Temps Utile / O&C Quantermain details;

Temps is clocked from a Sq Wave LFO
All channels are tiggered by Ch 1 of Temps Utile which is using a custom pattern in Seq Mode
All channels in O&C use Phrygrian mode
Ch4 is identical to Ch 3, but 3 octaves up
Integers used are (Ch 1 – pi, Ch 2 – Dsum4, Ch 3&4 – Dsum5)
Clock Divisions used are (Ch 1 – +2 Ch 2 – +8, Ch 3&4 – +6)
It's dark but I'm totally tripping on this

User avatar
DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind
Posts: 3008
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:56 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany / Bratislava, Slovakia

Post by DonKartofflo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:55 pm

kpreid wrote:If you're using IN and monophonic mode, then STRUM does nothing.)
Just to clarify, this is not true. Strum always causes another string to start. In monophonic mode, this just means the previous string is immediately silenced.
Try it for yourself, use IN and a dummy cable into strum, then try the same thing with IN and no cable. You will have more transients and hard attacks with no cable inserted because of the new string detection being switched on. with the dummy cable, the same string is excited indefinitely.
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

User avatar
yawn_g
Common Wiggler
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:45 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by yawn_g » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:36 pm

Completely forgot to spam share my best Rings vid here! :eek:

Using Ears and hitting the case as exciter (you can get great guitar-like feedback with ears+rings, not in this vid though), while Harmonàig (sequenced by Frames) and a sequential switch create the arps for Rings. Trying to make use of Harmonàig's non-diatonic abilities. So, no external sequencer :)

[video][/video]

User avatar
pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:07 am
Location: Paris

Post by pichenettes » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:22 pm

In monophonic mode, with an external excitation signal, the only "side-effect" of the STRUM input is to temporarily make the V/O input more responsive. It doesn't silence or switch anything – there is only one string and the signal from the IN input is continuously poured onto it.

User avatar
mathomas
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:35 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by mathomas » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:26 pm

Rings center stage, with strum input and manual knob twisting.

[video][/video]

User avatar
MindMachine
weekend warrior
Posts: 6664
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 am
Location: Santa Susana Field Lab

Post by MindMachine » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:57 pm

Very nice.

User avatar
jonbutler88
Common Wiggler
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:29 am

Post by jonbutler88 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:53 am

yawn_g wrote:Completely forgot to spam share my best Rings vid here! :eek:

Using Ears and hitting the case as exciter (you can get great guitar-like feedback with ears+rings, not in this vid though), while Harmonàig (sequenced by Frames) and a sequential switch create the arps for Rings. Trying to make use of Harmonàig's non-diatonic abilities. So, no external sequencer :)

[video][/video]
This is one of the most musical eurorack performances I've ever seen! Kudos on the interesting programming and progressions :bananaguitar:

User avatar
mathomas
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:35 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by mathomas » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:27 am

jonbutler88 wrote:
yawn_g wrote:Completely forgot to spam share my best Rings vid here! :eek:

Using Ears and hitting the case as exciter (you can get great guitar-like feedback with ears+rings, not in this vid though), while Harmonàig (sequenced by Frames) and a sequential switch create the arps for Rings. Trying to make use of Harmonàig's non-diatonic abilities. So, no external sequencer :)

[video][/video]
This is one of the most musical eurorack performances I've ever seen! Kudos on the interesting programming and progressions :bananaguitar:
Yeah, I remember being pretty amazed when I first saw this one. Cool to see it again. Double kudos!

User avatar
yawn_g
Common Wiggler
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:45 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by yawn_g » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:59 pm

jonbutler88 wrote:This is one of the most musical eurorack performances I've ever seen! Kudos on the interesting programming and progressions :bananaguitar:
thanks! :D

User avatar
JES
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 565
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by JES » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Sorry for the very basic question. Just picked up a rings and I can't wait to run all sorts of stuff through it.

But first, I'm using it as a sort of vibraphone sound on its own alongside an Atlantis for playing with other people.

So, for those of you who play live with other people: I realize I'll get some inharmonic sounds by wiggling, but if the two top knobs are at 12:00 and I hit a "C" on my controller, I should get a note that matches a C coming from a regular oscillator, right? Or what else do you do for tuning other than 'go by ear'?

Thanks.

User avatar
mathomas
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:35 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by mathomas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:00 pm

JES wrote:Sorry for the very basic question. Just picked up a rings and I can't wait to run all sorts of stuff through it.

But first, I'm using it as a sort of vibraphone sound on its own alongside an Atlantis for playing with other people.

So, for those of you who play live with other people: I realize I'll get some inharmonic sounds by wiggling, but if the two top knobs are at 12:00 and I hit a "C" on my controller, I should get a note that matches a C coming from a regular oscillator, right? Or what else do you do for tuning other than 'go by ear'?

Thanks.
From memory, the extreme CW and CCW are “harmonically pretty”, in addition to the 10, 12, and 2:00 positions (I think I “tune” at 10:00-ish). I definitely don’t remember what the note relationships are, though. Depending on your other mode settings, it’s inharmonic in between these knob positions. As far as tuning, I always go by ear (and I don’t bother with concert pitch, so shoot me :hihi:).

User avatar
JES
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 565
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by JES » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:11 pm

Thanks. No judgment on pitch, I'm just working with other instruments that go through electronic tuners, so it's better to acclimate them to me than the other way around.

User avatar
mathomas
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:35 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by mathomas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:27 pm

JES wrote:Thanks. No judgment on pitch, I'm just working with other instruments that go through electronic tuners, so it's better to acclimate them to me than the other way around.
For sure. I’ve avoided bringing anything in from the outside world, possibilities be damned ;-).

Robrecht
Common Wiggler
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:08 am

Post by Robrecht » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:54 am

In green mode, mine is harmonically pretty and very easy to tune with Structure at about 10:30-11. It's in tune with the Frequency knob at about 11. Don't forget the small attenuator underneath is a fine tuner when nothing is patched to it.

User avatar
pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:07 am
Location: Paris

Post by pichenettes » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:37 am

I confirm that 10:30 is the position that gives purely harmonic tones.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”