Mutable Instruments Rings

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Outsider Sound Design
Common Wiggler

Post by Outsider Sound Design » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:17 pm

Sound design experiments with Rings and 4ms Dual Looping Delay.
Shapeshifter in LFO mode modulating various Rings CV inputs.

[video][/video]
Sound Design / Sample Packs
www.outsidersounddesign.com

Test Series Sound Design Blog
www.outsidersounddesign.com/blogs/news

Experimental Music
www.adarkplotofland.bandcamp.com

Bob Charlotte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bob Charlotte » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:40 pm

Heavy use of Rings input here... Plaits into Clouds into Rings.

[video][/video]

bommelito
Common Wiggler

Post by bommelito » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:41 pm

@Bob Charlotte:

beautiful!

Bob Charlotte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bob Charlotte » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:10 pm

bommelito wrote:@Bob Charlotte:

beautiful!
Thank you :oops:

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Sat May 25, 2019 8:36 pm

How do you guys tune the MI Rings?

The problems I'm having is that when I feed a constant voltage to v/oct it does not generate any sound as it is looking for changes in voltages and some of the sounds coming out of it are inharmonic tones.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat May 25, 2019 8:57 pm

Honestly I do 99% of my tuning by ear anyway. Rings is no different. Inharmonic sounds might be harder to pin down, but the consequences of being "wrong" are often less too.

Ping the Strum input if necessary or feed the audio input white noise, so it doesn't rely on voltage changes.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat May 25, 2019 10:14 pm

You could just feed a clock into strum.
I turn the harmonics off (knob at 10:00) before tuning.
They're by far my easiest modules to tune, since they normally quantize to half steps.

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Sat May 25, 2019 10:29 pm

Zymos wrote: I turn the harmonics off (knob at 10:00) before tuning.
Ah ha! Thanks! This is a good tip!!

I initially tried to tune Rings using the Oscope, and learned very quickly that doesn't really work - it's as if Rings is all frequencies at once! Also, because it's super harmonically rich lush sound it doesn't seem to need to be tuned super accurately to any specific note to sound ok in the mix.

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Sun May 26, 2019 5:34 am

Zymos wrote: I turn the harmonics off (knob at 10:00) before tuning.
You mean structure?

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun May 26, 2019 8:21 am

Yep.

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:27 am

Rings and Marbles and Clouds and Rainmaker playing together:

[video][/video]

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:06 am

Strumming on Rings throughout this track while slowly modulating all parameters.

http://soundcloud.com/verklighetensfolk/milpa-isles

vssp
Common Wiggler

Post by vssp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi, here's a first attempt with the Westlich Performer sequencer, starring Rings for the bass, and Digitone for pads…

[video][/video]

Hope you'll enjoy

vssp
Common Wiggler

Post by vssp » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:48 am

lisa wrote:Strumming on Rings throughout this track while slowly modulating all parameters.

Beautiful track, and your Rings use is gorgeous… great work!

vssp
Common Wiggler

Post by vssp » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:55 am

Here's a second attempt with the Westlicht Performer, Rings is responsible of the starting ambiance (through Morphagene) and the main pad (white noise in the input) which enters at 5"…

[video][/video]

Clumsy
A Can of Worms

Post by Clumsy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:36 am

I've had my Rings for a week and while I've been quite happy just playing arpeggios, tonight I thought I'd try to create something approaching a finished piece of music. So I transposed my arpeggios.
https://soundcloud.com/clumsy-gods/rings-cycle

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:27 pm

lisa wrote:Strumming on Rings throughout this track while slowly modulating all parameters.

:tu:
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:55 pm

vssp wrote:

Gringo Starr wrote::tu:
Thanks! If I had known about Rings I would have gotten into Eurorack much earlier. :goo:
New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.

intafon
Common Wiggler

Post by intafon » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:03 am

Does anyone have any opinions on µRings? Considering picking up a Rings, and checking out µRings, but not sure if it's interface design (which seems really cramped) is worth the HP savings... also curious if the tiny knobs are functional/smooth to use...

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:31 am

intafon wrote:Does anyone have any opinions on µRings? Considering picking up a Rings, and checking out µRings, but not sure if it's interface design (which seems really cramped) is worth the HP savings... also curious if the tiny knobs are functional/smooth to use...
I have the Tall Dog uRings SE and the knobs are plenty functional for my purposes. However, if I'm modifying any parameters in real time it's with CV from an external controller, so I don't need the knobs to be "playable". If you're frequently going to be twiddling them during a performance then it's probably not going to be to your liking, but if not then IMO it's definitely worth the space savings.

muddy ranks
Common Wiggler

Post by muddy ranks » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:03 pm

adaris wrote:
intafon wrote:Does anyone have any opinions on µRings? Considering picking up a Rings, and checking out µRings, but not sure if it's interface design (which seems really cramped) is worth the HP savings... also curious if the tiny knobs are functional/smooth to use...
I have the Tall Dog uRings SE and the knobs are plenty functional for my purposes. However, if I'm modifying any parameters in real time it's with CV from an external controller, so I don't need the knobs to be "playable". If you're frequently going to be twiddling them during a performance then it's probably not going to be to your liking, but if not then IMO it's definitely worth the space savings.
I'm in the same boat. I had a factory Rings and recently sold it to a friend who really wanted one. I was thinking I'd give μRings a shot. I love the sound but I didn't really use the knobs in a performance aspect, so I just figure I'll see if I can still get the same results and save some HP. We'll see. Hopefully I like it the same if not more. Still haven't put in the order for one yet.

Even thinking if 2hp Pluck & Bell might be viable options... Any thoughts on that?

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:03 pm

muddy ranks wrote:
adaris wrote:
I'm in the same boat. I had a factory Rings and recently sold it to a friend who really wanted one. I was thinking I'd give μRings a shot. I love the sound but I didn't really use the knobs in a performance aspect, so I just figure I'll see if I can still get the same results and save some HP. We'll see. Hopefully I like it the same if not more. Still haven't put in the order for one yet.

Even thinking if 2hp Pluck & Bell might be viable options... Any thoughts on that?
I have Pluck as well and I like it too. Not as versatile as Rings obviously but it is a nice complement to it IMO. Definitely worth owning.
Last edited by adaris on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intafon
Common Wiggler

Post by intafon » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:27 pm

muddy ranks wrote:
adaris wrote:

I have a 2hp Pluck and it is pretty nice, I actually hadn't heard about the Bell. My biggest complaint about the Pluck is that tuning is somewhat difficult and I feel like its 1V/octave response isn't dead-on. Other than that it sounds pretty nice, though as was mentioned above, definitely not as versatile as Rings.

I'm also not so enthusiastic anymore about modules that are super thin for the sake of saving some HP. They end up feeling really fragile, go too deep for parts of the rack, and are at times a challenge to rearrange in the rack. The Erica Synths pico modules are an odd 3HP, but even that extra 1HP makes them feel a lot less dainty than the 2HP ones.

Simme
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Simme » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:58 pm

Worwell wrote:Elements + Rings + 4ms Dual Looping Delay + Cwejman MMF-1

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/272678214" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
I really like this one! May I ask if you remember how you did these Vinyl record/ static electricity type sounds, that support the rhythmic pattern?

Cheers
Simon

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:32 pm

lisa wrote:
vssp wrote:

Gringo Starr wrote::tu:
Thanks! If I had known about Rings I would have gotten into Eurorack much earlier. :goo:
Yeah almost the same here. Mutable Instruments is what finally got me to get into the Euro format after years of convincing myself it was inferior to Serge and Buchla... which it most definitely is not.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”