doepfer love

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

minime123
buy/sell/trade

doepfer love

Post by minime123 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:58 pm

as i sit here trying to figure out some cost effective options for housing our loose doepfer modules (please somebody sell us your doepfer studio and portable cases! oh, and more modules! so we will need more cases!), i just wanted to say that i love the a-100 series. doepfer makes such a great variety of useful, compact, cost effective modules that enable people to put together an extremely powerful system for a really reasonable price. thank you so much, mr. doepfer and company for doing what you do! :hail:
that is all. :D
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- Buy / Sell / Trade / Repair
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

the tone ranger
Common Wiggler

Post by the tone ranger » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:28 am

Sometimes I think about a Doepfer only system. Fits my budget and the consistency, price and build quality works for me.

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:11 am

the tone ranger wrote:Sometimes I think about a Doepfer only system. Fits my budget and the consistency, price and build quality works for me.
been there and done that, a great system. Feature packed and more cost effective than a lot of other makers.
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

minime123
buy/sell/trade

Post by minime123 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:01 pm

i agree. i feel like there are so many other options that it actually becomes very overwhelming - whose vco do i get? whose vcf? etc. for those who dont like being overwhelmed, doepfer offers a huge number of options that are pretty kickass.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER

DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind

Post by DonKartofflo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:36 pm

i love fancy digital euro stuff but sometimes i also fantasize about having a doepfer basic system. something about that super clean and industrial look makes it really appealing.
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:27 am

DonKartofflo wrote:i love fancy digital euro stuff but sometimes i also fantasize about having a doepfer basic system. something about that super clean and industrial look makes it really appealing.
I hear you. I wish I hadn't overlooked Doepfer when I first started. I thought I wanted a ton of functions out of each module but now I realized the Doepfer one module per function approach suits me way better. There are a few modules that would be hard for me to give up in non-Doepfer land like the Happy Nerding FM Aid, but I've started replacing some of my other modules with Doepfer's just because I like them so much. The a-160-5 clock multiplier/ ratcheting controller for instance. What an awesome tool!

evileye0702
Ultra Wiggler

Post by evileye0702 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:20 pm

I started with an A-100 system and was thrilled I started that way. Wading through the depth of other options was going to drive me crazy.

I've moved past that since then but still hold onto a majority of those modules. I do like how every one is pretty basic and I don't mind the design one bit. The number of utility modules can't be beat and I'm always discovering another one that would fit great within my system. I always have my eye out for someone selling them used cheap. Many are among the best values available outside DIY.

bradfromraleigh
Common Wiggler

Post by bradfromraleigh » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:27 pm

I started building my mixed system one piece at a time over the last year and I feel like what I have is very powerful but not very cohesive. I think about selling off most of my one-off modules and only doing complete systems from here on out. Doepfer would probably be my first one with Make Noise being a close second since I have a lot of MN modules already. I could probably sell my DIY and MI modules for enough right now to buy a complete A-100 system. It makes a lot of sense.

lambshain
Common Wiggler

Post by lambshain » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:31 pm

very well build! good to begin with. with some wmd, mi and mfb i ve doepfer only. i like the silver laboratory bauhaus style, easy to repair.

Synthacon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synthacon » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:49 am

I see nothing wrong with Doepfer. When I had my first system there was only Doepfer, Analogue Solutions and Analogue Systems.

I love Doepfer, lots of built in attenuation and everything does what you want and at great prices, especially if you buy used.

I think a lot of new comers to the modular scene seem to go for newer esoteric designs by new companies and fail to see that Doepfer can normally offer more for less.
You always want just one more synth

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:39 am

I'm fairly new to modular myself and I've started mostly with the obvious popular brands. But quite quickly I realized Doepfer had a lot to offer. Well, there is a Doepfer version of probably anything you want to. They're great for cheap solutions on vital yet not super sexy modules : simple VCA, Mult, Attenuator, Offset, Mixers, Crossfaders etc.
I have two Doepfer VCO's and I like them a lot, A 110-2, and the incredible A 110-4. Just saying that like many, when I started I wanted full of features modules (like Braids) and now I appreciate the simpler approach : doing one thing but doing it right. Now I got my eyes on a few more Doepfer modules : A 171-2 Slew, A 143-9 quad lfo and more...

allears62
Common Wiggler

Post by allears62 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:48 am

my A-143-4 is probably my desert island module, I mean I love my elements and disting and lots of others but the A-143-4 is just great and so functional.

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:50 am

I have a powerful self-contained west coast system. 18U. All Doepfer. Never felt happier and more productive.

Like many, when I started out I tried out all the usual suspects - Maths, DPO, Mutable, Malekko, Verbos, Rubicon, Quadra, Toppobrillo etc... I had a few Doepfer modules from the very start and they remained my most favourite bits up to this day. The A-110 VCOs, A-156 and A-160 clock divider never left the house.

I thoroughly compared my Verbos CO, the DPO and Malekko oscillators against the A-111, A-110, A-110-2, A-110-4 and various Doepfer waveshapers since I had the luxury of owning them all simultaneously. Doepfer sounds amazing! Is super flexible - modular in the purest sense! Although I'd say it's a bit of a misconception that it's 'cheaper'. Yes, individual modules may seem initially less expensive, but a complex oscillator will cost just about the same as everything else. In fact, something like Grids or Wogglebug will be significantly cheaper and smaller, but then you're fixed to someone elses preset behaviour. With Doepfer you can implement similar functionality according to your own taste and specific needs. Doepfer takes up a few more HPs, but gives you the luxury of patching everything your way. Lots of CV inputs and attenuators everywhere.

Loving the filters and BBDs among everything else.

Call me a fanboy, but as I've said I had the luxury of owning just about everything else.

:hail:

Moogus
Common Wiggler

All Doepfer here

Post by Moogus » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:35 am

I have recently got into modular and bought all Doepfer after looking into what I should buy. Certainly Doepfer is very clean and crisp, very surgical and perhaps a bit cold. But I'm loving it as already have Moog stuff for warmth and DSI for other stuff.

Doepfer is a great starting modular system, lov'in it!!
Meek out !

Twitter: @MeekPoitierCons
Instagram: @MeekPoitierCons

doskonale
Learning to Wiggle

Post by doskonale » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:44 pm

could not agree more.

my 15U/18U system is mainly Doepfer. I love it so much.
and being from Belgium, it just totally makes sense to buy my gear from them.

I have a few more expensive modules from other brands (Trigger Riot, Korgasmatron II). And sometimes when i want a sexy 500 euros module, I'm like : fuck it, let's buy 5 Doepfer modules instead !
to be a sprinkler system in a thunderstorm

Auxiliaryoctopus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Auxiliaryoctopus » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:51 pm

Vytis, I'd be interested to hear more about your setup. Do you have a modulargrid mockup?

Auxiliaryoctopus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Auxiliaryoctopus » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:23 pm

Vytis, I'd be interested to hear more about your setup. Do you have a modulargrid mockup?

plogbidman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by plogbidman » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:43 pm

No talk, just sounds and music.
This music was made in one take with two Doepfer BS2 and a Vermona QMI (= a 4 voice polyphonic Doepfer analog modular system).

[video][/video]

Etan
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Etan » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:09 pm

vytis wrote:Doepfer sounds amazing! Is super flexible - modular in the purest sense! With Doepfer you can implement similar functionality according to your own taste and specific needs. Doepfer takes up a few more HPs, but gives you the luxury of patching everything your way. Lots of CV inputs and attenuators everywhere.
Couldn't agree more. I went from pure Doepfer system to mixed system and then back to all Doepfer system again (ok, not counting Expert Sleepers modules). I felt that I've lost so much of the modular flexibility with more fancy, multipurpose modules which dictated the way I started doing patches. Really complex stuff can be done with simple modules and for me that is an essence of modular synth.

Also when I need complex oscillator I simply patch one and although it seems counter intuitive it's much more simple to control complex patches when they are built from simple blocks than it is to control simple patches built with complex modules, at least from my experience.

The final thing is compatibility. Patching with modules of the same manufacturer is so much more enjoyable. The compatibility issues and troubleshooting were killing my workflow so much that I even put my modular away for a while.

minime123
buy/sell/trade

Post by minime123 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:16 pm

plus, entirely doepfer systems dont have that hideous patchwork quilt appearance. (shudder)
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER

Return to “Eurorack Modules”