random*source love

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
Rudloe
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:21 am
Location: London

Post by Rudloe » Thu May 09, 2019 3:03 pm

If anyone is at Superbooth, try and find out what's coming next in Euro... i'd love to know 8-) 8-) 8-)

User avatar
RowanH
Common Wiggler
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: Brixton, UK

Post by RowanH » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Just bought a bigger case which has left me with an intellijel 4u 104hp case going spare. Already have the NTO and the 1u, would like to use this as its owns system for the most part, maybe with some external sequencing. Those with more serge experience, is this viable as a self contained synth? Anything you would change?

Image

User avatar
stickmann
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:50 am
Location: Land of Enchantment

Post by stickmann » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 pm

RowanH wrote:Just bought a bigger case which has left me with an intellijel 4u 104hp case going spare. Already have the NTO and the 1u, would like to use this as its owns system for the most part, maybe with some external sequencing. Those with more serge experience, is this viable as a self contained synth? Anything you would change?
This would be an amazing self contained synth. Do it, I love my R*S EuroSerge system so much which is your plan plus another DUSG, SEQ8XL, and the Mixer / CV Pro module.

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3992
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Post by cptnal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:33 am

I had similar ideas myself, and if I was doing it for real my system would look much like yours.

What I discovered though is that "Serge" is more an approach than a set of modules. I have much of the functionality already - it's just that the design of the Serge modules channels your thinking in a different way. So I've been reading about the modules and how they're patched and trying to apply that to my own patching.

But hey, if you've got the wherewithal and you want to do it... do it! :cloud:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

User avatar
phineas
Common Wiggler
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:58 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by phineas » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:38 am

Thats an excellent setup and you'll have lots of fun with it.
You could think about swapping the NTO for a ResEQ but that's a matter of personal taste I would say.
Any way it will be great!

User avatar
RowanH
Common Wiggler
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: Brixton, UK

Post by RowanH » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:43 am

Thanks everyone. My route into modular synthesis was inspired back in 2005 by KFW's multiples album, which included a handful of Serge based pieces, so it's always had a certain romance. I like to divide the euro up into workable chunks rather than seeing it as one system and it was the idea of taking some of my serge inspired modules and doing this when I thought, actually, a small Euro serge makes sense and is less intimidating than it used to be (both in diy and synthesis sense).

User avatar
stickmann
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:50 am
Location: Land of Enchantment

Post by stickmann » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:23 pm

For those that have used the Euro Triple Waveshaper+, are the input pots used to attenuate incoming signals or does it control the amount of waveshaping applied?

User avatar
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Post by luketeaford » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:06 pm

stickmann wrote:For those that have used the Euro Triple Waveshaper+, are the input pots used to attenuate incoming signals or does it control the amount of waveshaping applied?
I'll check tomorrow to confirm, but I am almost certain they are attenuators.

EDIT: they are attenuators. VC 1 seems to turn up the input to the TWS and VC 2 seems to turn it down.

User avatar
windchill
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:48 am

Post by windchill » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:31 pm

I've been working with Eurorack for some time and I've been through a lot of really good stuff: Make Noise, Verbos, Mannequins, Synthesis Technology, etc. After some years of experiment I thought I had the best set-up for me and my system had largely stabilised - but although it was a wonderful, powerful rack, which allowed me to produce some good music, I couldn't help feeling that there was something missing, I still couldn't quite get where I wanted to be.

That was until, on a whim, I got hold of a R*S VCM. Everything changed immediately. After experience with numerous wave folders and multipliers; the sound of the VCM was obviously special and it just clicked right away, especially with feedback patching. An R*S ResEQ quickly followed, which I discovered is full of magic. Then a DUSG, which was a revelation. It has an incredibly raw sound; electric. Then a VCFQ, which is simply amazing.Then a TWS+...

Now I'm going the whole way with an NTO, SSG, and another DUSG on the way, and plans for the rest. I've finally found what I was looking for, and I'm inspired.

The R*S modules are on the large side but much to my surprise this has only added to my inspiration. The layout of the modules is lovely with lots of room for stackcables and live tweaking. I hadn't realised how cramped my rack had got in the quest for power-to-hp ratio.

Sure, this is all certainly down to my predilections: a raw, electric, analogue sound, drones, noise, distortion, and loose, borderline atonal, long-form music (not to mention a near obsession with the music Jim O'Rourke is releasing on Steamroom), so I'm aware R*S Serge may not be for everyone - but it's certainly changed me, and I couldn't be happier.

As for the oft-repeated claim that Eurorack Serge is utterly pointless, and that anyone who wants Serge should go 4u (and Serge is only Serge if it's banana cables), that's simply not true for everybody. The R*S Euro range ends up being a fraction of the cost of 4u and allows me to combine Serge with all my existing Euro stuff. My Verbos, MN, Mannequins, etc, offer all sorts of other capabilities and sounds and (here's the key point) integrate perfectly with the R*S modules, give or take the odd bit of attenuation/amplification.

Rudloe
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:21 am
Location: London

Re: random*source love

Post by Rudloe » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Here are a couple of pure Serge/Random*Source recordings.

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/user-750233473/tracks

:zombie:

Rudloe
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:21 am
Location: London

Re:

Post by Rudloe » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:19 pm

windchill wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:31 pm


As for the oft-repeated claim that Eurorack Serge is utterly pointless, and that anyone who wants Serge should go 4u (and Serge is only Serge if it's banana cables), that's simply not true for everybody. The R*S Euro range ends up being a fraction of the cost of 4u and allows me to combine Serge with all my existing Euro stuff. My Verbos, MN, Mannequins, etc, offer all sorts of other capabilities and sounds and (here's the key point) integrate perfectly with the R*S modules, give or take the odd bit of attenuation/amplification.
Plus, they sound exactly the same as the 4U.

I adore the sound of these modules too.

Rudloe
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:21 am
Location: London

Re: random*source love

Post by Rudloe » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:12 am

Hi all

My VCFQ seems to move around pitch when I ping it. Slides slowly and slightly up and down. I swear it didn't used to do this.

Anyone else had this problem?

Does anyone know what I can do to fix the issue?

Thanks (:

User avatar
windchill
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:48 am

Re: random*source love

Post by windchill » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:27 am

Rudloe wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:12 am
Hi all

My VCFQ seems to move around pitch when I ping it. Slides slowly and slightly up and down. I swear it didn't used to do this.

Anyone else had this problem?

Does anyone know what I can do to fix the issue?

Thanks (:
Does it also drift when you're not pinging it but simply using it as a filter?
It's harder to detect this but you might hear it if the Q is high - or you could run it into a frequency analyser.
Either way, it could be a 'scratchy' frequency pot. I had this freq drift problem on one of my (non R*S) filters and the pot had to be replaced.

Rudloe
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:21 am
Location: London

Re: random*source love

Post by Rudloe » Thu May 07, 2020 5:33 am

Hi

Yes it does drift when I'm not pinging it too.

Thanks for the reply, i'll get the pot replaced by the guy who built it for me and get him to check it over.

Thanks again.

mishka
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 2:20 pm

Re:

Post by mishka » Thu May 07, 2020 2:36 pm

windchill wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:31 pm
I've been working with Eurorack for some time and I've been through a lot of really good stuff: Make Noise, Verbos, Mannequins, Synthesis Technology, etc. After some years of experiment I thought I had the best set-up for me and my system had largely stabilised - but although it was a wonderful, powerful rack, which allowed me to produce some good music, I couldn't help feeling that there was something missing, I still couldn't quite get where I wanted to be.

That was until, on a whim, I got hold of a R*S VCM. Everything changed immediately. After experience with numerous wave folders and multipliers; the sound of the VCM was obviously special and it just clicked right away, especially with feedback patching. An R*S ResEQ quickly followed, which I discovered is full of magic. Then a DUSG, which was a revelation. It has an incredibly raw sound; electric. Then a VCFQ, which is simply amazing.Then a TWS+...

Now I'm going the whole way with an NTO, SSG, and another DUSG on the way, and plans for the rest. I've finally found what I was looking for, and I'm inspired.

The R*S modules are on the large side but much to my surprise this has only added to my inspiration. The layout of the modules is lovely with lots of room for stackcables and live tweaking. I hadn't realised how cramped my rack had got in the quest for power-to-hp ratio.

Sure, this is all certainly down to my predilections: a raw, electric, analogue sound, drones, noise, distortion, and loose, borderline atonal, long-form music (not to mention a near obsession with the music Jim O'Rourke is releasing on Steamroom), so I'm aware R*S Serge may not be for everyone - but it's certainly changed me, and I couldn't be happier.

As for the oft-repeated claim that Eurorack Serge is utterly pointless, and that anyone who wants Serge should go 4u (and Serge is only Serge if it's banana cables), that's simply not true for everybody. The R*S Euro range ends up being a fraction of the cost of 4u and allows me to combine Serge with all my existing Euro stuff. My Verbos, MN, Mannequins, etc, offer all sorts of other capabilities and sounds and (here's the key point) integrate perfectly with the R*S modules, give or take the odd bit of attenuation/amplification.
wow! great insight on your r*s experience! thanks! i‘m also looking forward where my way go‘s or more precisely the whole modular thing ;)

User avatar
Val
Common Wiggler
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:17 am

Re: random*source love

Post by Val » Thu May 07, 2020 3:07 pm

Having the same feeling as windchill, I plan on building the whole R*S range, completed by some modules (again, same reason as windchill I'm doing it in Euro).
Rudloe wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:51 pm
Here are a couple of pure Serge/Random*Source recordings.
Enjoy!
https://soundcloud.com/user-750233473/tracks
:zombie:
Great great sounds

Rudloe
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:21 am
Location: London

Re: random*source love

Post by Rudloe » Thu May 07, 2020 6:43 pm

Val wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:07 pm
Having the same feeling as windchill, I plan on building the whole R*S range, completed by some modules (again, same reason as windchill I'm doing it in Euro).
Rudloe wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:51 pm
Here are a couple of pure Serge/Random*Source recordings.
Enjoy!
https://soundcloud.com/user-750233473/tracks
:zombie:
Great great sounds
Im totally addicted. Looking forward to see what comes next in Euro form them. Im hoping for Extended ADSR and PCO.

User avatar
Val
Common Wiggler
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:17 am

Re: random*source love

Post by Val » Wed May 13, 2020 12:24 pm

Rudloe wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:43 pm
Val wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:07 pm
Having the same feeling as windchill, I plan on building the whole R*S range, completed by some modules (again, same reason as windchill I'm doing it in Euro).
Rudloe wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:51 pm
Here are a couple of pure Serge/Random*Source recordings.
Enjoy!
https://soundcloud.com/user-750233473/tracks
:zombie:
Great great sounds
Im totally addicted. Looking forward to see what comes next in Euro form them. Im hoping for Extended ADSR and PCO.
I think i just realized you're boddika, hope this project isn't just about noodling but getting a release out hahaha.
Also they're releasing the PCO for 4U, but sometimes they release stuff for 4U only and not Euro, so we don't know unfortunately. Could be a great utility oscillator. And the extended ADSR seems like a very nice source of modulation. This system is just so well thought out, and focused on raw pure good sound.

klick
Common Wiggler
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:07 pm

Re: random*source love

Post by klick » Wed May 13, 2020 12:45 pm

what is truly missing to the line, is peak and trought, is any of you tried MI kinks for this purpose ? on the paper, it looks that the min/max section is exactly doing this, any experience to be shared about it ?

User avatar
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: random*source love

Post by luketeaford » Wed May 13, 2020 3:47 pm

klick wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:45 pm
what is truly missing to the line, is peak and trought, is any of you tried MI kinks for this purpose ? on the paper, it looks that the min/max section is exactly doing this, any experience to be shared about it ?
I use a Doepfer 172, but I imagine kinks would be great, too.

klick
Common Wiggler
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:07 pm

Re: random*source love

Post by klick » Wed May 13, 2020 3:49 pm

Thanks lukeatford, did not know this one, way cheaper, great suggestion !

Rudloe
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:21 am
Location: London

Re: random*source love

Post by Rudloe » Thu May 14, 2020 5:14 am

klick wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:49 pm
Thanks lukeatford, did not know this one, way cheaper, great suggestion !
Yeah defo a good tip thanks.

I see they've just announced a 'Dual PCO/P&T' in 4U.

Lets hope it reaches Euro format :eek:

pelang
Common Wiggler
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:30 pm
Location: switzerland
Contact:

Re: random*source love

Post by pelang » Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 am

Rudloe wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:51 pm
Here are a couple of pure Serge/Random*Source recordings.

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/user-750233473/tracks

:zombie:
listening to "Serge - Ran100" there is something magical on the serge sound. nice done.

Rudloe
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:21 am
Location: London

Re: random*source love

Post by Rudloe » Fri May 15, 2020 9:40 am

pelang wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 am
Rudloe wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:51 pm
Here are a couple of pure Serge/Random*Source recordings.

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/user-750233473/tracks

:zombie:
listening to "Serge - Ran100" there is something magical on the serge sound. nice done.
couple more in there now, pure R*S/Serge - https://soundcloud.com/user-750233473/s ... ge-ranlist

User avatar
windchill
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:48 am

Re: random*source love

Post by windchill » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:11 pm

This has freaked me out a bit. A while ago one of my R*S NTOs started losing pitch stability and drifting all over the place. I had it repaired (pots replaced) and it's been fine since then. Today my other NTO, from a different builder, has now lost pitch stability as well.
I assume (hope) the issue is the same and not something more serious.
Maybe this is just really bad luck but it seems odd.
Anyone else had similar issues?
Are the pots that come with the kits of poor quality or something?

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”