New WMD Performance Mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:57 pm

xbase wrote:Hi,
I have received the mixer today and I have problems with the two stereo channels. I cant get a signal at the main ouput, the channels seems to be muted. I see the red input signal, cue works, but no yellow light and no signal at the main output. It makes no differenz, if I use the fader or cv. The Mono channels works as expected.I dont have the Mutes expander. Has anybody an idea to solve this problem?

Christan
that happen to me when i pluged the powercable by the Mute-expander in. :confused:
Both stereochannels dead.

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:05 pm

spe76 wrote:It seems like the Performance Mixer are currently sold out everywhere. Does anyone know when we could expect the next batch to be delivered to dealers?
In production and shipping a new batch right now. They'll be showing up any time. Thanks!
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:11 pm

pelang wrote:
xbase wrote:Hi,
I have received the mixer today and I have problems with the two stereo channels. I cant get a signal at the main ouput, the channels seems to be muted. I see the red input signal, cue works, but no yellow light and no signal at the main output. It makes no differenz, if I use the fader or cv. The Mono channels works as expected.I dont have the Mutes expander. Has anybody an idea to solve this problem?

Christan
that happen to me when i pluged the powercable by the Mute-expander in. :confused:
Both stereochannels dead.
Yep exactly -- Power was connected to the mutes expander header via a 16 pin ribbon cable.

There are some op amp ICs that will need to be replaced on the mixer rear board. Please use our Web Contact Form and we'll take care of the issue right away.

hydrophilos
Common Wiggler

Channel expander problem

Post by hydrophilos » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:58 am

Hi,

I've had the mixer, mutes and channel expander all working. I just reconfigured my layout and now the expander panning doesn't work. The level works but if I bring it up real slow there is a slight distortion at the beginning. I've tried disconnecting the mutes to isolate but to no avail. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Channel expander problem

Post by WMDevices » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:57 am

hydrophilos wrote:Hi,

I've had the mixer, mutes and channel expander all working. I just reconfigured my layout and now the expander panning doesn't work. The level works but if I bring it up real slow there is a slight distortion at the beginning. I've tried disconnecting the mutes to isolate but to no avail. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
Check that the cables didn’t get twisted up and pulled slightly from the headers.

If that doesn’t work please contact us directly on the website contact form or by email and we can troubleshoot further.

Also check power connections, could be that the extrander is not properly powered any longer.

hydrophilos
Common Wiggler

Re: Channel expander problem

Post by hydrophilos » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:10 am

Won't hurt to do it a 5th time just to be sure I suppose...
Thanks

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Sun May 06, 2018 3:37 pm

Count me in as another happy user - I’ve had the PM for a year or so and it’s gotten a lot of use both live and in the studio. I don’t have huge hands but it feels ruggedly constructed to me. I do wish for:

- a 3-way switch for combining the aux sends instead of muting them (like the A+B switch), especially since you can mute the aux from the pre/post switch anyway

- direct post-fader outs (maybe a different expander than the current DB25 one day?), like others have mentioned... seems weird not to be able to capture the CV mod of level and pan

... but overall an amazing density is functionality in a relatively small footprint. Hats off.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Sun May 06, 2018 3:58 pm

soon_come wrote:....seems weird not to be able to capture the CV mod of level and pan
I was with you on this at first. After thinking about it more, they made the right decision. Imagine if you were to capture each channel CV pan action. You'd have to double the outputs of each channel to true stereo. That means the first 6 channels would actually require 12 mono channel outputs. You'd need something with 3 DB25 connectors on it. Probably too much to expect from this small a mixer design.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Mon May 07, 2018 11:33 am

soundslikejoe wrote:
soon_come wrote:....seems weird not to be able to capture the CV mod of level and pan
I was with you on this at first. After thinking about it more, they made the right decision. Imagine if you were to capture each channel CV pan action. You'd have to double the outputs of each channel to true stereo. That means the first 6 channels would actually require 12 mono channel outputs. You'd need something with 3 DB25 connectors on it. Probably too much to expect from this small a mixer design.
I don't care so much about the stereo thing, TBH (I mix mostly in mono). But this means that using an external CV fader with a mult (to group channels for volume changes) will never be able to be recorded destructively. I'd think either a switch for post-fader or a different expander altogether would solve this problem... because there are enough people in both camp.

Otherwise, we are forced to use a VCA before sending it into the PM - kind of a waste. Anyway, it's just a wish - really love this thing. :)

mantid
Common Wiggler

Post by mantid » Thu May 10, 2018 9:02 am

Apologies in advance for newb-questions: I have searched and not found great results.

1) What are practical applications of the dedicated Cue output? In what situation would you use that to listen to cue instead of headphones? I do understand how you could use the cue bus to run through some outboard equipment and bring it back into an uncued channel for fun feedback, and this is fanatastic, but feels like an edge-case hack, and am curious about the more conventional function.

2) With the Mutes expander, aren't the CV aux controls for 1 and 2 on the expander redundant with those on the main mixer? I must be overlooking something... seems like the Mutes controls should be for 3, 4, 5, 6 instead of 1, 2, 3, 4 since you already have CV for 1 and 2.

Thanks!

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Thu May 10, 2018 10:06 am

mantid wrote:Apologies in advance for newb-questions: I have searched and not found great results.

1) What are practical applications of the dedicated Cue output? In what situation would you use that to listen to cue instead of headphones? I do understand how you could use the cue bus to run through some outboard equipment and bring it back into an uncued channel for fun feedback, and this is fanatastic, but feels like an edge-case hack, and am curious about the more conventional function.

2) With the Mutes expander, aren't the CV aux controls for 1 and 2 on the expander redundant with those on the main mixer? I must be overlooking something... seems like the Mutes controls should be for 3, 4, 5, 6 instead of 1, 2, 3, 4 since you already have CV for 1 and 2.

Thanks!
Hey mantid.

1) The traditional application of this is just like a DJ mixer's cue function... you can bring in / tune / adjust signals before bringing them into the main mix with the fader.

2) No - those are aux sends for *channels* 1 and 2 (and 3 and 4), not *auxes* 1 and 2 overall.

mantid
Common Wiggler

Post by mantid » Thu May 10, 2018 10:13 am

soon_come wrote: Hey mantid.

1) The traditional application of this is just like a DJ mixer's cue function... you can bring in / tune / adjust signals before bringing them into the main mix with the fader.

2) No - those are aux sends for *channels* 1 and 2 (and 3 and 4), not *auxes* 1 and 2 overall.
1) I understand the cue function in general, (via headphones and using the cue mix) but not the dedicated output. Where would you run this to, traditionally? Wouldn't you traditionally be wearing headphones and using the cue mix? If you had in-room live monitors of the master mix, wouldn't running cue to in-room monitors be very confusing? Is it for a situation where for some reason you don't want to use headphones, and so you'd turn down your master monitors and then turn up the cue monitors manually?

2) Thanks - that makes much more sense. I knew I was missing something.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Thu May 10, 2018 10:17 am

I don't consider that situation you described ("virtual" 3rd aux) weird at all - I use it all the time for general reverb or echo for "space." The only problem is that it's pre-fader so you can't really dial in amounts.

Re: the more traditional scenario, if you have a control room and a live room (as opposed to recording all in one room), it could certainly control what is heard there while recording.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu May 10, 2018 10:21 am

The cue output is a head scratcher for sure. Why would you ever want your cued channels summed at unity gain? The 3rd send scenario is perfectly doable from the phones output though (and it can be stereo!)...but that just makes it even more vexing.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 am

Here's how I like using it sometimes:

Take the cue output, run it through an attenuator (or better yet, one of those Koma attune-cables), adjust to taste, and run it through a simple/short reverb that you bring back into the mix very quietly. It helps glue things together a bit.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu May 10, 2018 10:24 am

soon_come wrote:Here's how I like using it sometimes:

Take the cue output, run it through an attenuator (or better yet, one of those Koma attune-cables), adjust to taste, and run it through a simple/short reverb that you bring back into the mix very quietly. It helps glue things together a bit.
But why would you do that with the cue ouput (unity gain) instead of the phones output (post fader mix volume)?

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Thu May 10, 2018 10:30 am

damase wrote:

But why would you do that with the cue ouput (unity gain) instead of the phones output (post fader mix volume)?
... because you may be using the phones output already? It's just an idea. I bet it was probably just an extra jack and one of the last ones they assigned to a signal, so they made a judgment call. I dunno! I'm a fan of 100% wet signals sometimes (especially nice for spring reverbs in dub), so this helps achieve that too. You can use the cues as quick button sends. :party:

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu May 10, 2018 10:51 am

soon_come wrote:
damase wrote:

... because you may be using the phones output already? It's just an idea. I bet it was probably just an extra jack and one of the last ones they assigned to a signal, so they made a judgment call. I dunno! I'm a fan of 100% wet signals sometimes (especially nice for spring reverbs in dub), so this helps achieve that too. You can use the cues as quick button sends. :party:
Its safely presumable that if you are using the cue as a send then you arent simultaneously using it as a headphones cue system. I can think of many scenarios that a %100 wet send is useful. Looper send? Extreme compression send? Glitchy effect send? Hell yea! Just a weird quirk that the cue output is unity gain, i cant see why i would ever want that, especially while the phones output has a volume control and works in stereo. Not upset about it, just curious

Sprankles
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sprankles » Sat May 26, 2018 9:16 am

I recently picked up the performance mixer and am hoping someone can help with an issue I'm having with the master out. I get no audio from master or cue outputs to my Motu 24i. The headphones work fine -any ideas?

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sat May 26, 2018 11:32 pm

Strange. Are you using the DB25 expander or the regular jacks? Do you see the signal on the VU meter?

Sprankles
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sprankles » Sun May 27, 2018 8:04 am

I figured it out. It seems it's always the simplest things...I was using balanced TRS 1/8 to 1/4" cables, which worked fine with my circuit abbey unify mixer module, hence why I wasn't really paying attention to the cables themselves.
When I switched to mono ts cables, everything was fine.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Mon May 28, 2018 3:15 pm

just like to share that i had a very easy and generous repair of my PM with WMD.
Great guy's !

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:54 am

After reading up a bit, add me to the list of folks who think the headphone output is really a bit quiet. Does anyone else need to boost this on its way out as well?

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:02 pm

soon_come wrote:After reading up a bit, add me to the list of folks who think the headphone output is really a bit quiet. Does anyone else need to boost this on its way out as well?
Even with relatively high impedance headphones (Sennheiser HD650), I can still get a reasonable volume in my studio. Would be a little worried about damaging your hearing with a headphone amp. Is this for live performance? Some IEM's might be a better solution.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:07 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
soon_come wrote:After reading up a bit, add me to the list of folks who think the headphone output is really a bit quiet. Does anyone else need to boost this on its way out as well?
Even with relatively high impedance headphones (Sennheiser HD650), I can still get a reasonable volume in my studio. Would be a little worried about damaging your hearing with a headphone amp. Is this for live performance? Some IEM's might be a better solution.
Using bog-standard Sony studio cans, I have to keep the headphone volume way down or risk ear damage.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”