My (Poorness) Eurorack Diary

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat May 20, 2017 8:01 am

Entry #116: Space Drums

Well, I sat down last night to wiggle and end up making this. :trampoline:

[video][/video]

Feeding a noise source into a filter and then a VCA gives you percussion-like sounds... no news there. But I used a bandpass filter with the resonance cranked and I got some weird springy/liquidy sounds. Then I used the hidden mode on Peaks and got a wacky bass and snare. Throw Chronoblob & Rings in there and you get space drums.
Last edited by poorness on Tue May 23, 2017 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am member #22,363

Oblivion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Oblivion » Sat May 20, 2017 1:52 pm

poorness wrote:Entry #115: The SQ-1 Experiment

Also, the SQ-1 cannot be used a sequencer in this setup because it will send note data to all the keyboards (unless you want to send the same notes to all 3 keyboards of course).
Can't you set the slave keyboards to ignore note data and/or listen on a channel other than 1 or 2?
Perpetual n00b.
Budding Phonogeneticist.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun May 21, 2017 7:52 am

Oblivion wrote:Can't you set the slave keyboards to ignore note data and/or listen on a channel other than 1 or 2?
Alas no. I checked with both Arturia and DSI support. It is not possible to ignore note data with the keyboards I have. I'd need a MIDI router to do that. That's okay though. I know what I need to do. :tu:
I am member #22,363

Oblivion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Oblivion » Sun May 21, 2017 11:02 am

SQ-1 -> MiniBrute can do this for sure.

Right now, I'm clocking my Mini from my SQ-1 (getting it's clock form a Circuit Abbey Tick), playing the SQ-1's sequence on a Z3000 osc and the Mini is playing it's own sequence in perfect time, ignoring the SQ-1 notes.

Just go into Brute Connection software, change MIDI receive channel to something the SQ-1 isn't sending on (I put mine on 8) and you're good. MIDI Clock is not channel-specific, so the Brute still gets the clock. Can do a dirty video later if you like.
Perpetual n00b.
Budding Phonogeneticist.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun May 21, 2017 11:18 am

Oblivion wrote:SQ-1 -> MiniBrute can do this for sure.
Interesting. You'd think DSI and Arturia support would've suggested that. I have the emails where they both say it can't be done. :despair:
Way to show up the big boys Oblivion. :tu:
I am member #22,363

Oblivion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Oblivion » Sun May 21, 2017 11:21 am

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but it definitely works here on my mini brute, sub 37, and Korg Karma as I described. Give it a shot. By the way, that was midi straight from the sq1 to the minibrute. I don't have a through box like you mentioned, but I would be surprised if that was doing anything with remapping channels to Global.
Perpetual n00b.
Budding Phonogeneticist.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun May 21, 2017 11:35 am

What you're saying makes perfect sense. I'm just wondering why DSI support didn't suggest that. They told me to use a MIDI router and set it to send clock only. You're solution is much better. Thanks for thinking outside the box man.
I am member #22,363

Oblivion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Oblivion » Sun May 21, 2017 12:23 pm

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume they didn't understand the question/setup. ;) I'm no Jedi master, but I've been farting with MIDI since the late '80s. Years before I even had 2 things to connect together, I'd read a book on it cover to cover at least 3 times, so I have a decent grip on what it should and shouldn't be able to do. Maybe they just missed the forest for the trees.

I hope you get it worked out. The SQ-1 certainly has limitations, but that shouldn't be one of them. Sclepping a kid to dance class, but like I said, if you want a walk-through later, I could record something.
Perpetual n00b.
Budding Phonogeneticist.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun May 21, 2017 12:43 pm

Entry #117: Country Meets Ambient? :eek:

So when I retrieved my keyboards from storage, I also had a guitar and a bass in there. The guitar is my old Les Paul Junior. It's heavy, unergonomic, and only has 2 knobs... but it sounds amazing. :D

When I opened the case there was a brass slide in the pocket with the strap and such. I hadn't seen one of those in a long time. Well... I think you can see where this is going. I decided to integrate some slide guitar to a modular composition. Warning... it's weird... there's not much holding it together... but I suppose that's kinda of the point.

[video][/video]

When I was younger I was really into things that were “on” beat and “in” key. As I get older I'm noticing that I gravitate more towards weird ambient, atonal sounds and less conventional music. It kinda seems backwards huh? I think modular might be partially to blame... but I'm understanding more and more about what Morton Subotnick meant when he said he wanted to create “music” that wasn’t “music as we know it”. What a genius. :tu:
I am member #22,363

SynthEnergy
Common Wiggler

Post by SynthEnergy » Sun May 21, 2017 10:42 pm

That was indeed crazy and cool stuff in your latest video. Would be curious to hear about how you solved your MIDI issues when you get it sorted.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Tue May 23, 2017 8:11 am

Entry #118: Back to Empty Space... & More Space Drums

Well, I just picked up a new module, a 2HP Mix. I'm swapping out my SSF Mixmode with this one. It frees up 4hp, so I moved the A-151 from the top row to the bottom (next to Pamela) and now I've got a 4hp blank in the top row. Oh those pesky blanks. You all know what that means... :zombie:

I noticed a typically used the Mixmode to submmix my drum modules, so I figured the 2HP would make more sense and free up some space, especially since I have 6 channels on the Happy Nerding now. To test the module, I did another 'space drums' video. Chronoblob is the star of this one. Using an LFO to engage/disengage the hold function is super fun. I also used the A-151 to alternate between feedback modulation and time modulation. :w00t:

[video][/video]

So, as you can probably guess... I'm making changes once again, but very minor this time. Warning though... a new module may be in the near future. What could it be... :whistle:
I am member #22,363

SynthEnergy
Common Wiggler

Post by SynthEnergy » Tue May 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Disting? Or some form of sampling?

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun May 28, 2017 9:22 pm

I have the clock sync under control.
2 new modules ordered!
3 old modules sold!
Pics coming soon.
Yeehaw!
:banana:
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon May 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Entry #119: Wearin' Out the Space Drums :hihi:

I'm not trying to wear out this idea... I promise, but I sat down to wiggle earlier and ended up making another Space Drum piece. Still, I like it better than the first 2 so I decided to share it with you lovely foks.

[video][/video]

The FM drums mode on Peaks is just awesome. I really like it. Rene, Chronoblob, Clouds, and NSE into FILT play into this one as well. Oh, I since I was using FM drums, I decided to use FM on the oscillator. It actually worked out pretty well. :tu:

If you look closely you'll see 2 blanks in the rack. Those are where my new modules are going. Man... I feel like my rack is nearly done. Wait... who am I kidding... this is modular. :despair:
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:11 am

Entry #120: Eurozen :zen:

Well guys, the modules arrived and I am super happy with my rack at this point. I feel like this is what I wanted before I knew what I needed (if that makes any sense). I know I know... a modular is never done... its constantly evolving, but this one feels really good. Here's a pic...

Top Row: Erica MIDI to Clk, 2HP RND, Qu-Bit Nano Rand, 2HP Tune, Erica Black Wavetable VCO, Pittsburgh Waveforms, Mutable Instruments Rings, Happy Nerding 3X MIA, Xaoc Batumi, Make Noise Function, Erica Black Dual EG/LFO, Mutable Instruments Clouds, Pittsburgh InOut; Bottom Row: ALM Pamela's Workout, Doepfer A-151, Make Noise Rene, Noise Engineering Numeric Repetitor, TipTop Audio CB808, 2HP NSE, Mutable Instruments Peaks, 2HP Mix, Doepfer A-124, 2HP Filt, Make Noise LxD, ALM Tangle Quartet, Alright Devices Chronoblob, WMD Pro Output

You'll probably notice a MIDI module has reappeared. That's cuz I decided to go back to MIDI for clock sync (not pitch and gate, just sync). I did a quick video to explain the studio and how everything syncs. I go over the gear, then the sync process, then a quick jam session. I'm pretty pleased with the setup overall.
[video][/video]
Last edited by poorness on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:15 pm

Entry #121: Another Happy Accident

I'm not sure how I did this... but who cares? It's pretty awesome. Sounds like robots gettin' it on. LOL.

:intellijel::dalek::r2::loves:

[video][/video]
I am member #22,363

BDProject
Common Wiggler

Post by BDProject » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:49 pm

This is my first post in this forum and I'll use it to congratulate you on your journey, it's truly inspiring. I'm still in "research phase" but I think I'll make my own thread in the same spirit when I actually start my journey.

Great job and lots of ideas for a noob like me in this thread so thanks!

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:45 pm

BDProject wrote:This is my first post in this forum and I'll use it to congratulate you on your journey... lots of ideas for a noob like me in this thread so thanks!
First of all, welcome to Muffs. You're gonna love it. :love:
Second, congrats on getting up the gumption to make the modular plunge. Go slow and have fun. :tu:
Third, I made (and maintain) this thread just hoping to inspire a newbie or two so its always great to hear when somebody finds the thread and it offers them anything useful. I always say I'm hoping to either help someone jump in or convince someone to run away screaming. It's the luke warm responses that scare me. Ha ha. :hihi:
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Entry #122: A Track... Finally

I just realized I hadn't posted a track since 4/22. Sheesh! I sat down last night to wiggle and ended up recording this...

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/precinct-7

I used the Eurorack, piano, guitar, and the Minibrute. I did a very low tech sustain technique (brass slide and a capo) on the 'brute. :lol:

Anyway, the Eurorack, piano, and Minibrute are all one track. I added the guitar after the fact. It's so processed it sounds more like chimes than a guitar. :hihi:

EDIT: fixed broken image
Last edited by poorness on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:39 am

Entry #123: Be Sure To Drink Your Ovaltine :mrgreen:

I sat down the other night to attempt to create a digital drone patch... somehow it morphed into this. BTW, the radio sample (it comes in around 3:36) is from a 1940s Ovaltine commercial. :hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/test-pattern

Unfortunately, I have hit the limit of my free Soundcloud account. The first couple tracks I posted in this thread are now hidden. I'm tempted to just get the full version, but $63/year is just a little higher than I want to pay. If it was $50 per year, I wouldn't even hesitate.

I apologize for anyone who comes across this thread now and can't listen to the first several tracks. Ugh. What's a wiggler to do. :doh:
I am member #22,363

SynthEnergy
Common Wiggler

Post by SynthEnergy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Love this one.

As far as the extra 13$ that you need for this year, how about I buy you a lunch at Knobcon 2017? That should cover it!

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:24 pm

SynthEnergy wrote:As far as the extra 13$ that you need for this year, how about I buy you a lunch at Knobcon 2017? That should cover it!
Ha ha. I'm not sure if you just called me chintzy or if I needed that prespective but... I went ahead and enabled the "pro" account. BTW, I'm collecting at Knobcon so be ready. :haha:

Glad you like the track BTW. :tu:
I am member #22,363

SynthEnergy
Common Wiggler

Post by SynthEnergy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Haha! It was a little of both!

Beer will be had as well.... :guinness:

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:25 am

Entry #124: Weekly Updates :oops:

Well, it's been another synthy week so far. There was a DAMN show on Tuesday. The performances were fantastic as usual. It continues to baffle me that they're putting out this kind of entertainment for $5-15. Crazy! Here are a few pics for anyone who is interested...

Next, I decided to pick up a Radio Music module and mess with some samples. Unfortunately my rack is full so I have to take something out to put something in. this is the bad part about having 0hp left. :doh:

I pulled the Nano Rand temporarily. Don't worry... I'm not selling it, but I thought it was the most redundant since I have the 2HP NSE and RND. It will sit in a drawer until I decide what I want to do. Anyway, I had to do a track to celebrate, so here's a spacey samplefest. :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/satellite

EDIT: fixed broken images
Last edited by poorness on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am member #22,363

Bigsteak
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bigsteak » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:56 pm

You can use a guitar pick slid under an adjacent key to sustain the microbrute!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”