My (Poorness) Eurorack Diary

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ayruos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ayruos » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:09 am

This is a great thread, and as I'm just starting out on my modular journey, it kind of inspires me to start a diary as well. I just need to post one more reply somewhere before I can start a new thread though!

But, I must say I've been skulking around the Muffwiggler forums for the last couple of months or so and a lot of inspiration, clearing of doubts and making decisions have been shaped by these forums so I must thank everyone here. Thanks a lot for everything!

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:33 am

Entry #125: More Fun with Radio Music (and sorry about the broken photos)

I'm really loving Radio Music. It's a super fun module. I made this track last night.

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/listen-to-me

And in other news, apparently Photobucket is now limiting the ability to imbed photos on forums, so all my pics are failing to show up. Ugh. Sorry all. I guess I need to find a new image hosting solution. Anyone got any ideas?
Last edited by poorness on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Since Photobucket ruined the Internet... here is a direct link to all the photos posted in this thread. Sorry guys! :doh:
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Entry #126: Friday Night Jam (and some pre-Knobcon excitement)

I was doing some wiggling Friday night and I decided to record it just in case it was cool. I wiggled for about 5 or 6 minutes and didn't really like it, so I shut it down and didn't bother to listen to it until today. Much to my surprise, it actually turned out pretty cool. After listening to it, I decided to add a guitar drone (played with eBow). The guitar comes in around 2:15, but the rest is all one take. :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/stations

BTW, Knobcon 2017 is closing in fast. I can't believe it's been almost a year since the last one. I'm excited! I feel like I can get a lot more accomplished this year as last year I was overwhelmed for the first few hours. This year I know what to expect. I also want to spend some more time in the chill out room or the bug out bunker (provided they have those again). It's gonna be awesome... kicks off 7 weeks from this Friday. :hyper:
Last edited by poorness on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am member #22,363

Oblivion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Oblivion » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:24 pm

poorness wrote:Since Photobucket ruined the Internet... here is a direct link to all the photos posted in this thread. Sorry guys! :doh:
I really hope SoundCloud doesn't do you like that, too. ;)

Re: Knobcon, this year I'm going with more spending money and a shopping list. :D I didn't do too badly for impulse buys last year, though - MiniBrute, Maths, and . . . something else all used and a few PCB/Panel sets and cables. I really should have kept a diary.

Hope to see you then. BTW, I finally scored a Beatstep Pro yesterday after asking you about yours a few times (including right after you'd sold it).

Nice jam, and I totally get that ';shutting it down, yet liking it after a break' thing. I've walked away from whole patches that sounded better after a power off and a few days away. Don't know if I clock the pingable stuff differently or if it's just fresh ears or a sense of familiarity, but it happens often.
Perpetual n00b.
Budding Phonogeneticist.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm pretty stoked for KnobCon myself -- this will be my first. I have a plan for what I want to try and what I might buy, but I'm kind of going into it with only half a clue as to what it'll be like. :)

Something I was wondering about -- there are a couple of modular shops in Chicago (Nerd Audio, and SynthCity at Rock & Roll Vintage). Does it make any sense to plan for a visit to those after the con? Or would that be completely redundant, or not a good time since they'll be at the con anyway and possibly closed, or super extra busy because half the other con-goers had the same thought?

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Both of those vendors will likely have booths at the show (both did last year). Needless to say they can't bring the entire store... but they'll have a lot of gear and several "show only" deals. That said... synth shops are fun so I certainly wouldn't tell you not to go to the brick and mortar stores. ;)

Honestly, talk to the vendors at the show and ask if it's worth stopping by the store. They may give you a coupon or something to make it worth the trip.
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Entry #127: Weekend Wigglin'

I guess I should record all my wiggles cuz I sat down last night, wiggled for a bit, thought it was "meh", then listened to it today and thought otherwise. The initial recording was all one track. I added the rain and the guitar tracks after the fact. I think it sounds pretty cool though. Moody for sure.

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/overcast

Unfortunately, I used the same RM sample bank that I used on Entry #124. That wasn't intentional, it just sounded good with what I was playing. The sample is actually what made me think to add the rain effects though, so I guess... it is what it is. ;)

BTW, its just over 6 weeks 'til Knobcon! :hyper:
I am member #22,363

Oblivion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Oblivion » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:05 pm

That's a problem I have with samples. I can spend a lot of time curating them, and then after I use them once in a recording, I feel like they're 'burned.' I should get over that. Cool jam.
Perpetual n00b.
Budding Phonogeneticist.

thisoldmike
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldmike » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Fellow DFW enthusiast here, I've really enjoyed this thread and watching your journey and listening to the tunes. Thanks for keeping it going! I really need to make it out to one of the DAMN shows in the near future - I had no idea that these shows even existed until I ran across them here. :tu:

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 pm

OH Wow! Another DFW wiggler. Thanks for stopping by man! Glad you liked the thread. Check on the thread below. Myself and a couple other wigglers do a pretty good job of tracking the live shows in town. There are a lot of them!

viewtopic.php?t=144470

Also, keep an eye on this one for local synth meets. There should be one coming up this fall. I'm really amazed by the community here. A ton of synthy folks.

viewtopic.php?t=169679

DFW is actually an amazing subculture for modular and synth nerds in general. I feel like these are the days of something amazing... and nobody realizes it. Kinda like when you hear someone talk about how they took a trip to Seattle in 1990 and 6 months later the bands they saw for $5 were selling out arenas... I feel like the synth scene in DFW is a similar ecosystem.

I'm seeing shows regularly in the $5-15 range and they're far better than shows I've paid 3 to 4 times are much for... it's crazy! Inevitably, this can't last forever. People are going to figure it out at some point... but for now... I'm enjoying it. ;)
I am member #22,363

thisoldmike
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldmike » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks for the links, I'm down for the next synth meet for sure! As much as I love love love going to see a show, living in the far northern suburbs makes this almost impossible during the week, which seems to be when a lot of these kind of shows happen (at least last time I looked). What with the stupid traffic and having to get out of bed and go to work the next morning, my old ass just doesn't tolerate that sort of thing these days. :waah:

Cheers!

crisponline
Learning to Wiggle

Post by crisponline » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:38 pm

I recently moved from DFW to NY for music grad school, and have been really expanding my electronics work with DIY/Synths since I moved out here. Now I'm working on experimental/noise projects, and really wishing I could've joined in on the fun while I was still in DFW!

Sending love to Texas wigglers everywhere <3

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:12 am

thisoldmike wrote:As much as I love love love going to see a show, living in the far northern suburbs makes this almost impossible during the week, which seems to be when a lot of these kind of shows happen
Yeah, I totally hear ya. I love going to Mutant Wave shows, but they're always 10p-2a on a Wednesday. For a guy that has has to be to work at 7AM that's rough. Most of the "DAMN Presents" shows are on weekdays, but the "big DAMN" shows are usually on Fridays or Saturdays.

You should come out for the next one man.

DAMN XXV - 9/23/17 @ RBC in Deep Ellum
crisponline wrote:Sending love to Texas wigglers everywhere <3
Received and appreciated. Good luck in NYC brotha! :yay:
I am member #22,363

thisoldmike
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldmike » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:35 pm

September 23 I think I can do, I've been wanting to see a DAMN show and that one looks like it'll work. Sweet!

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Entry #128: Pressure Points

Okay. I made a command decision to get Pressure Points. Granted, I had to take a few modules out of the rack to make room, I sold a couple, keeping most for now... but I really wanted to start messing with more "playable" modules. This is what the rack looks like today. Oh, and I opened an Imgur account so I can start posting photos again. :tu:

I'm going to keep my rack like this until after Knobcon. My new NONO case should arrive in October, so once that happens... I'll go 9U and that's my last case. Yeah right... who am I fooling. :hihi: Anyway, I realized I hadn't posted a vid in a while, so I did another video to celebrate. What a fun module!

[video][/video]
I am member #22,363

Oblivion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Oblivion » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:03 pm

Nice, enjoy the new gear.

Isn't it great how defining KnobCon is? Every time I catch myself eyeing b/s/t I think, "Nah, save dat cash for KnobCon."
Perpetual n00b.
Budding Phonogeneticist.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:16 am

Okay guys... I may be crazy, but I spent the last few days going thru this thread from the beginning and fixing all the broken images. That was a pain in the butt, but... now I feel like the journey is whole again. :banana:

It may be obsessive, but I couldn't stand the thought of doing all this documentation just to have it ruined by Photobucket's corporate greed. The man will not keep us down! LOL. Now... hopefully Imgur doesn't do the same thing. :eek:
I am member #22,363

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:32 am

Total side track: does this mean that all photos posted directly on the muffwiggler server/forum are lost? :bang:

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:36 am

No. It was only embedded images from Photobucket that got blocked. It was a change on the Photobucket side and had nothing to do with Muffs.
I am member #22,363

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:39 am

Ok, phew.

Next question: why not just use the "build in" image hosting on muffs? :hmm:

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:44 am

There's over 150 embedded images in this thread alone. I'm guessing it's difficult to manage all that with Muffs image hosting. Actually, I don't think even have have an image management interface (though I could be wrong about that), I think you just manage them on each post. It would certainly make it more self-contained though.
Last edited by poorness on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am member #22,363

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:04 am

Ok. I'll stick with muffs server for hosting then...

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:37 am

Entry #129: Another Synthy Birthday

Well guys, if you scroll back to Entry #43 (my last birthday post), you’ll see another 12 months has passed. I’m another year older and I am celebrating with a some synthy goodness. I took Friday and off work and drove down to Austin. Then I paid a visit to Switched On. It’s a really cool synth shop. They had a ton of vintage keyboards and a lot of new stuff too... oh and a huge modular. :hyper:

Ironically, the patron in the pics (with the two little girls) was from DFW and so that was kind of a coincidence. I had a great conversation with Johnny (he was working the counter) and checked out several new modules. Then I headed downtown to kill some time in Austin. I actually ended up getting another tattoo (Birthday gift to myself). After dark, I checked out an experimental music show at a local bar. It was pretty cool... and it was only $5. ;)

The first act involved processing vocals thru the modular. It was really cool. :cool:

The second act was really good as well. He did a really moody set with various synth overlays.

When the third act came on I realized... wait... that’s the guy I was just talking to a Switched On. LOL. I didn’t realize Johnny was performing that night. :lol:

The headliner was a lady from Massachusetts who sampled sounds ranging from a plucked violin to goblets filled with water to a contact microphone held against her throat. It was some crazy stuff!

After all that, I was shot! I crashed at a hotel and had a good solid breakfast before heading back to DFW. Then, when I got home, my wife had made something for my birthday. Go back to Entry #55 if you don’t understand the “Devil Box” reference. This was a really thoughtful gift. I am so lucky to have such a great woman. I love her so much! :love:

Well anyway... Knobcon is less than 4 weeks away and I’m super excited! More good stuff to come.
Last edited by poorness on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
I am member #22,363

Oblivion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Oblivion » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:21 am

Happy birthday, man!
Perpetual n00b.
Budding Phonogeneticist.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”