My (Poorness) Eurorack Diary

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:55 am

poorness wrote:Entry #3: First Oscillator

The modular gods hath delivered again (with the help of MasterCard and my employer). I got home from work today to find this waiting for me.

Purdy ain’t she? I didn’t even change shoes before I went to work mounting the module in my rack. A quick cable connection, some eyeballing for straightness, and four screws later, I had it mounted and ready to test. I plugged her in and everything worked. Initial tests were all thumbs up. :tu:

Another cool thing happened today. My wife is a cosmetologist by trade and I mentioned that I was looking for a small zippered bag to carry patch cables. She said she had a few makeup bags laying around that would probably work perfectly. I was afraid they’d all be pink or have flowers on them or something else girly, but she produced this baby. Just plain black with a neon orange zipper. I love it.

And all my cables fit nicely. I’m pretty sure I could get a few more in there. That certainly worked out well. Thanks babe. :yay:

EDIT: fixed broken images
I know this is a year old, and the story has progressed but, this post is giving me warm and fuzzy memories.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:10 pm

poorness wrote:Entry #117: Country Meets Ambient? :eek:

So when I retrieved my keyboards from storage, I also had a guitar and a bass in there. The guitar is my old Les Paul Junior. It's heavy, unergonomic, and only has 2 knobs... but it sounds amazing. :D

When I opened the case there was a brass slide in the pocket with the strap and such. I hadn't seen one of those in a long time. Well... I think you can see where this is going. I decided to integrate some slide guitar to a modular composition. Warning... it's weird... there's not much holding it together... but I suppose that's kinda of the point.

[video][/video]

When I was younger I was really into things that were “on” beat and “in” key. As I get older I'm noticing that I gravitate more towards weird ambient, atonal sounds and less conventional music. It kinda seems backwards huh? I think modular might be partially to blame... but I'm understanding more and more about what Morton Subotnick meant when he said he wanted to create “music” that wasn’t “music as we know it”. What a genius. :tu:
Nice work, very mesmerizing.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Entry #130: Loop Pedal Experiment #2

I just realized I haven't posted a video with the loop pedal since Entry #111. I was wiggling last night and decided to record another one. BTW, this wasn't rehearsed at all. I just sat down, started messing around with some gear and recorded it. It's kinda like the old floor jams. ;) Anyway, its nothing special but I got something kinda cool happening around 8:12 with the slap bass and the brute factor. Fun stuff!

[video][/video]

BTW, glad you liked those pics/vids soggybag. Hopefully you like this one too.
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:22 pm

Entry #131: Rings, Radio Music, Pressure Points, and Guitar

Well here's something kinda different. I took a sample from Radio Music and fed it into Rings, then used Pressure Points to control the drone note. After that, I played guitar on top of it and created something kinda moody. This was a happy accident. :guitar:

[video][/video]
I am member #22,363

SynthEnergy
Common Wiggler

Post by SynthEnergy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:48 pm

The happy accident was a success!!

:nana:

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Entry #132: More Digital Frustrations

I did some wiggling this morning and ended up recording a track. I really want to share it with all of you. However, I can't figure out how. I tried several times to upload it to Soundcloud and they do some sort of compression on the file that just makes it sound like static once uploaded. I changed the compression type, I even tried exporting it uncompressed. It sounds fine on my computer but as soon as I try to share it... static. Ugh.
I am member #22,363

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Dithering the final output file helps with artifacts. Did you try that?

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:42 pm

It doesn't appear to be a problem with the file of my end. It looks like its something at SoundCloud. I tried several different formats and rates. It always sounds fine on the computer but doesn't sound right on SoundCloud. I think it's something in their compression algorithm. Granted it's a noisy track... but still... frustrating.
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Entry #133: Got It To Work!

I'm not sure what was going on yesterday, but I tried again today and it worked. Whew! Maybe SoundCloud had some sort of issue going on yesterday. Maybe it was my browser. Who knows? I'm just glad it worked.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/338845025" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Anyway, the track is mostly modular. The guitar comes in around 4:12. The Minibrute provides the drone. Oh, and the samples were added during post.

I also made one more small change to the rack... but I promise this is the last one until after Knobcon. I pulled the 3X MIA and replaced it with the 2HP Mix. That gave me 4HP which I used to squeeze Nano Rand back in. :D

I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:17 am

Entry #134: Pre-Knobcon Updates

Just a quick note for anyone going to Knobcon. Myself and two friends (who met at Knobcon last year) are performing in the Bug Out Bunker on Saturday at 1:00 PM.

https://knobcon.com/index.php/knobcon-e ... out-bunker

We've never played together so we're going to work something up in the hotel room on Friday and perform it Saturday. It might be rough and kinda impromptu, but no matter... it should be fun. If anyone is interested, please stop by and say hello. We're performing under the name Devil Boxers. Ha ha. Scroll back to Entry #55 if you don't get the reference. :D

I'm also registered for the Jarmageddon Workshop on Saturday at 3:00 PM. If anyone is attending that one, please find me and say hello. Its always nice to put faces to Muffs handles. :tu:

https://knobcon.com/index.php/jarmgeddon-noise-synth
I am member #22,363

createsounds
Wiggling with Experience

Post by createsounds » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:21 am

-disclaimer- I'm not trying to sound like a dick..

but i wouldn't call this a poorness diary.
you probably got like 30 grand in gear in that room.
:hail:

thats not poorness.

"you on FLEEK"

unless you meant your poorness because of your GAS...

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:57 am

Entry #134: Dreams of Knobcon?

Maybe I'm just excited for Knobcon, but I've had a couple dreams in the last week where I was at a Rave. Too funny. Inspired by this, I sat down to wiggle last night and ended up making this. Unfortunately, I didn't record the first attempt (which I think was the best), and the second attempt I had the audio hooked up wrong, so this is the third try.

[video][/video]

Its a lot more upbeat than what I've been doing lately. I used the Eurorack, the Volca Bass, the Minibrute, and a Reverb pedal. Kinda fun. The Volca really ties it together. That thing is amazing! A 3 oscillator synth for $150. Every wiggler should have one. ;)
I am member #22,363

Oblivion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Oblivion » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:50 am

I know you like your weighted key-hold, but I always want to show up and plug a gate into the Mini's trigger input. :D Nice jams. I'll be sure to say hi next week.
Perpetual n00b.
Budding Phonogeneticist.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:10 pm

For that track, it might have made more sense actually. :hmm:

Typically I use the Brute for a drone, but this time I wanted some rhythm. As you probably noticed, I used the Brute's LFO to control the cutoff and set it really low achieving a VCA-like effect. It probably would have been easier to just use the Gate In jack though. :doh:
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:16 pm

Entry #135: Knobcon High

Well guys, I just got back from Knobcon and wow... what a trip!!! I don't even know where to start, so I'll tell the story as a dozen bullet points... with pictures. :D

1. Synth Energy, Hovercraft, and myself met up at the airport

2. We went to the hotel and checked in...

3 ...then went to work composing a dark ambient piece

4. We sampled items we found in the hotel room and incorporated them

5. Then off to the opening reception!

6. Lots to see on the show floor...

7. But performing in the Bug Out Bunker was the highlight of the show!!!

8. I hit a DIY workshop (and had a blast)...

9 ...and then it was time for Big Room! (YAY!)

10. Back to the show floor on Sunday

11. And finish things up with the Demo Derby!

12. Just enough time for a Chicago dog and a beer before flying home

I didn't make it to any presentations this year but that's okay... I still had fun!

BTW, thanks to all the muffs members who stopped by and said hi. I really appreciate it fellas! You're all awesome in my book! :tu:
Last edited by poorness on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:34 pm

Entry #136: Knobcon Toys

This year, I didn't make any major purchases at Knobcon. Instead I looked for little gadgets and toys I thought I could incorporate into my system. I ended up picking up a few things (BTW, that's the AllFlesh kit in the envelope).

I built the first two AllFlesh pads just to try them out. I can already see these are going to be fun. I should have the kit completely built this weekend.

When I got home, I put it all together and made this...

[video][/video]
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:28 pm

Entry #137: Yet Another Synth Meet! (and a track... kinda)

Well fellas, I drove down to Austin this weekend and went to the Austin Modular Meet Up. It was a lot of fun. I saw some of the folks I met at Knobcon last week and had a chance to chat with a lot of folks looking to get into modular. It was a really neat community get together and of course, it was sponsored by Switched On. They even had performances during the event! Here are a few pics.

I brought my modular and let several folks play with it. I got to answer some questions and help a lot folks understand how it works. That always feels good. BTW, I just patched something up to get started and over the course of the night it evolved. By the end of the night, this was the patch (I decided to record a couple minutes worth for documentation).

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/meet-greet

I guess I can't take full credit for that one. The Austin synth community is partially to blame. Ha ha. It was a lot of fun. I may have to go back for one of those in the future. ;)
I am member #22,363

koleeko
Common Wiggler

Post by koleeko » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:31 pm

What's making that crazy visual display in the one photo? The sorta blue, white and orangey triangular pattern.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:58 am

It's the LZX rack you see in the photo. The big screen (turned sideways) was pre-recorded (showing what the rack can do). The small screen is live, but the two patches are similar as you can see.
I am member #22,363

nklif
Common Wiggler

Post by nklif » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:17 am

Cool pics, like everyone's setups, thanks for sharing. And I love the Soundcloud by the way, excellent.
RIP Mike McGrath

BDProject
Common Wiggler

Post by BDProject » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Cool pictures! I was at the event and it was a great turnout! Nice track by the way...

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Thanks for the compliments fellas. Hope to catch you at a future event. ;)
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Entry #138: Knobcon Performance Video (and a new thread to follow)

Hey all. We go the video of our performance at Knobcon put together. SynthEnergy shot the video on his camera and HeWhoWantsJeans recorded the audio with a handheld recorder. There are some artifacts in the audio every 5-10 minutes but it synced up nicely. You'll also notice the video cuts out in the middle so we put in a little slideshow. We performed a 40 minute piece. Thanks to everyone who showed up to see us and thanks for all the kind words. :tu:

[video][/video]

Also, I started a separate thread to keep track of my DIY projects since that seems to be my next obsession. ;)

viewtopic.php?t=189219
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Entry #139: DIY Noise Boxes Meet the Modular

Seems like it's been forever since my last post. ;0

Well... I hadn't wiggled for a bit, so I got home from work yesterday and decided to create something. I don't know if anyone's been following my DIY thread or not, but I integrated a couple of my DIY projects (Jarmageddon and One Knob Fuzz) with the Eurorack and came up with this.

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/carpentry

I hadn't posted a track for a while so I figured it was time for an update. :tu:
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:57 am

Entry #140: Another Module... Finally!

It's been a long time since I've made a post about a new module, but I just built one. That's right, built. I added a Sloth Chaos to the rack earlier this week. This is the first module I've built.

It's a fun module. Very simple (to use and build), but powerful for geneative tracks. I made this track to celebrate. FYI, the Jarmaggeddon I made at Knobcon makes an appearance also. :hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/embers

Also, my NONO case is supposed to ship soon so hopefully I'll be able to get that baby up and running before EOY. :tu:
I am member #22,363

Return to “Eurorack Modules”