My (Poorness) Eurorack Diary

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:53 pm

Entry #141: Another Synth Meet

The DFW Synth Headz fall meet up was today. I took my modular for others to play with. Per usual, I had some good conversation and played with some cool gear. Here are a few pics.

I patched up something cool for the show and as people played with my system, it morphed slightly. By the end of the meet, the patch sounded like this.

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/chair-gallery
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:17 pm

Entry #142: Another Happy Accident (or two)

Well, I sat down to wiggle last night and somehow came up with this. I'm not entirely sure what I did, but it reminded me of somebody banging a wooden stick on empty oil barrels. It's mostly modular with the Minibrute adding the filter effect. I decided I should share it.

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/barrels

Then today, I was wiggling and somehow created this moody piece. It's 100% modular. I'm not sure what exactly I did, but it ended up sounding pretty cool. Both are kind of ambient industrial sounding (to my ears anyway).

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-6888058 ... on-control
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Entry #143: Thanksgiving Wiggles

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. It's been a long time since I posted a TX Wiggles video so, in honor of the holiday...

[video][/video]
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Entry #144: Random Updates

So, it's been a while since I checked in. I figure its time for some updates. First off, I'm still working on my DIY diary and I should have Project #9 finished soon. Second, I've been looking at what I have and what I'm missing and I'll probably be doing some buy/sell/trade action after the first of the year. Nothing major, but I'm got some minor ideas I want to change. Also, I received my small NONO case and the larger one should be shipping soon... so expect to see some rack changes in the near future. :D

And now a new track... ;)

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/undergrowth
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:17 am

Entry #145: Weekend Wiggles & Wisdom

As this thread approaches 2 years old, I realize it is getting pretty long in the tooth. It may be time to “put it to bed” so to speak. :hihi: However, it does really catalog what it's like to jump into modular. At this point, I’ve gone from just a few modules, to 2 rows, to 3 rows, back to 2 rows, then now I’m on the verge of a 9U case again. I've attended two major synth meets and several local ones. I’ve gone from simple modules to complex modules and now finding that the simple ones seem to speak to me most. It’s a process for sure. You have to really find the balance between what the modules can do and what you want to do with them. :mrgreen:

Just this weekend, I sat down to wiggle and ended up creating the track below. I used the modular and a bass and honestly… I wasn’t even really trying… I was just relaxing… but I liked what I was hearing. I guess that’s kind of the beauty of this stuff, some of your best pieces are accidents. :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-6888058 ... ry-general
I am member #22,363

raj007
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raj007 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Thanks for this thread and all the effort you've put into it.

:hail:

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Entry #146: Merry Christmas Wigglers :stan: :kyle: :cartman: :kenny:

I made this for you guys. Merry Christmas all! :tu:

[video][/video]
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Entry #147: Wiggling Aimlessly

While messing around with the modular yesterday, I came up with this composition. Like usual, I wasn't trying to create a track, but I really liked the way it sounded. That seems to be a theme throughout this thread. ;)

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/generator

Then I added some guitar and came up with this...

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/grandmother
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:12 am

Entry #148: At Long Last... Changes To The Rack

Well, as we inch closer to 2018... I decided it was time to do some buy/sell/trade action. After swapping out a couple modules, and some rearranging, this is what I'm left with.

Top row (L to R): Eirca MIDI <-> Clock, ALM Pamela's Workout, Deopfer A151, Synthrotek Sequence 8, 2HP Tune, Erica Black Wavetable VCO, Music Thing Radio Music, Intellijel Triatt, Erica Black dual EG/LFO, Make Noise Function, NLC Sloth Chaos, MI Clouds, WMD Pro Output; Bottom row: Pittsburgh InOut, Make Noise Brains, Make Noise Pressure Points, 2HP Tune, Pittsburgh Waveforms, MI Rings, Qu-Bit Nano Rand, 2HP RND, MI Peaks, Xaoc Batumi, Doepfer A124, 2HP Filt, ALM Tangle Quartet, Alright Devices Chronoblob

Anyone who's been following this thread will notice Rene is gone. I really like that module, but it was just too damn complicated with multiple clocks and gate logic and everything. I realized I like simple sequencers (like my SQ-1) so I went with the simplest one I could find. :hihi: You'll also notice the Triatt is back along with the Black EG/LFO and the 2HP EG and 308 are missing. I'm just doing some shuffling. I have a couple more changes planned in due time and I think they'll work out well. It just goes to show that modular is a constantly changing ecosystem (and it lends itself well to that). :tu:

Well anyway, Happy New Year everyone and here's the first vid with the new rack arrangement. :mrgreen:

[video][/video]

And for nostalgia purposes... this was my Eurorack system on 12/31/15, exactly 2 years ago today. Funny huh?

I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:15 am

Entry #149: Last Changes To The Rack For A Bit

Well, I made a couple more changes to the rack and I'm going to stick with this setup for a while. As much fun as it is to buy/sell/swap modules, I think this is a good setup with a million possibilities. I also rearranged the right half of the rack and like the "flow" a bit better. Anyway, here's the current state of the rack.

Top row (L to R): Eirca MIDI <-> Clock, ALM Pamela's Workout, Deopfer A151, Synthrotek Sequence 8, 2HP Tune, Erica Black Wavetable VCO, Music Thing Radio Music, Erica Black dual EG/LFO, Make Noise Function, NLC Sloth Chaos, 2HP Filt, Harvestman Polivoks VCF, MI Clouds : Bottom row: Pittsburgh InOut, Make Noise Brains, Make Noise Pressure Points, 2HP Tune, Pittsburgh Waveforms, MI Rings, Intellijel Triatt, 2HP NSE, MI Peaks, 2HP RND, Xaoc Batumi, ALM Tangle Quartet, Alright Devices Chronoblob, WMD Pro Output

As you can see the Doepfer A124 Wasp is missing. I'm not going to sell it just yet, but I found a local deal on the Harvestman Filter and I figured I'd give it a go. I'm also holding on to the Nano Rand for now, but those are the only two "unracked" modules I have. As usual, here's a little diddy to celebrate the new configuration. Enjoy. ;)

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/candlelight

P.S. For anyone who has actually followed my journey through 25 pages and almost 150 entries... thank you. :tu:
I am member #22,363

bchampion96
Common Wiggler

Post by bchampion96 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:45 am

I joined your journey late, but I always look forward to the updates! :)

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:08 am

Entry #150: My First Module (from scratch)

I've built a couple DIY modules (and other things) over the past few months, but I recently made my first module that wasn't a kit. In other words, the first time I had to figure out how something worked. It's simple but still... it was a cool experience. The video below explains what I did.

[video][/video]

And here's a sample video showing what you can do with it.

[video][/video]

It's pretty simple I realize, but it was a light bulb moment for me when I started figuring out how other people's circuits work. It feels like I'm actually starting to understand this stuff. :hihi:

Anyway, I made another track as well (the warp generator is not used in this track btw)...

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/snowdrift
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:46 pm

Entry #151: New Case... Again

I guess its been a while since I checked in with everybody. Well, here is the current state of the rack.

Top Row: Harvestman Polivoks Modulator, Qu-Bit Nano Rand, Pittsburgh Waveforms, Erica Black Wavetable VCO, MI Rings, Erongenous Tones Levit8, Alright Devices Chronoblob, MI Clouds; Middle Row: Doepfer A-151, Xaoc Batumi, Qu-Bit Contour, Doepfer A-124, Harvestman Polivoks VCF, STG Sea Devils, ALM Tangle Quartet, Arrel ER-150; Bottom Row: Erica MIDI <-> CLK, ALM Pamela's Workout, Harvestman Stillson Hammer, Make Noise Brains, Make Noise Pressure Points, 2HP Tune, Pittsburgh InOut, WMD Pro Output

As you can see, I'm back to 3 rows. This is the NONO case I pledged on Kickstarter. It finally arrived in late-February. I like it so far. Anyway, here's an all modular track I made with the setup.

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/patch-cables

I also managed to go to a local modular meet and went down to Austin for the Stompbox Expo during SXSW (pics for both HERE).
I am member #22,363

SynthEnergy
Common Wiggler

Post by SynthEnergy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:18 am

Really enjoyed the journey. Thanks for doing it!

I also know you have been painfully aware of mine. Thanks for that as well!

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed May 09, 2018 8:36 am

Entry #152: Hello Again

It's been over a month since I posted. I believe its time for an update. Per usual, a lot has happened since my last post, but surprisingly, the rack has changed very little. I'm not sure if I've truly got my gear in a stable state... or if I'm just tired of buying/selling modules. :lol:

In any case, I suppose it's about time for another video, huh? ;)

[video][/video]

And in other synthy news... I'm going to Moogfest 2018. :hyper: I actually volunteered to work on Friday so I get free admission. It will be my first time at Moogfest, so I'm sure I'll be overwhelmed. It should be a lot of fun though.

BTW, if anyone else is going to Moogfest, a few of us are organizing a Muffs Members Meetup. The thread for that event is here. viewtopic.php?t=201027
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon May 28, 2018 11:57 am

Entry #153: Moogfest Aftermath

Hey Muffers. I know it's been a while since I've made an update, so I figured it is time. First of all, I thought I should share some pics from Moogfest 2018. Wow! What a good time that was. I loved the Modular Marketplace. Here is a quick summary in pictures...

Best day ever. Two of my favorite modular artist in one place :tu:

I didn't buy anything (though I really wanted to), but I did see some great performances. Here are a couple vids I managed to catch...

[video][/video]
[video][/video]

And now... back to reality... I'm sitting here waiting for a plumber cuz our water heater is on the fritz. Ugh. While I was waiting, I made this...

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/cold-shower

Oh, and I was messing around earlier this weekend and made this...

[video][/video]

Jeez. Long post. I guess it was time for an update. :lol:
I am member #22,363

placebo92
Common Wiggler

Post by placebo92 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:35 pm

That's a nice photo of Lightbath and Emily :) Moogfest looks like it was such a blast! I hope to make it out there one day too..

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:42 am

Entry #154: It's Knobcon Time... Again

I guess it's been a while since I made an update. Sorry guys. Time gets away from ya, but I'm still wiggin'. In fact, I just got back from Knobcon one week ago today. This was my third year. Crazy. Here's a gallery from the event...

Arrival/Check In:

Opening Reception:

Exhibit Hall:

Workshops:

JAMMspace (formerly Bug Out Bunker) :

Golden Knob Banquet:

Big Room:
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:47 am

Oh, and for documentation purposes, here is the current state of the rack.

And a couple tracks I made with it recently.

https://soundcloud.com/poorness-688805871/hex-operetta
https://soundcloud.com/poorness-6888058 ... -en-binary
I am member #22,363

jaerrod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jaerrod » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:29 am

Duuuude really dug "Prelude En Binary" ! Just creeped on yer thread, glad you're still active!!

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:27 am

Good to hear from ya bro. Yep. Still active. You actually just made me realize how long its been since I've made an update. I'll get one up today.
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:23 am

Entry #155: It’s Been A Minute

Jaerrod just made me realize how long its been since I’ve made an update. Sheesh. Sorry about that. I’m still messing with modular and making music, so I guess that’s a good sign. The state of the rack is still the same as posted above in Sept. I haven’t bought or sold any gear in 4 months or something. Crazy huh? Well, let’s get caught up on my modular antics. :mrgreen:

Here’s a video I made back in September. I just woke up that morning and there was this gentle rain falling. I opened the window slightly and the sound was mesmerizing. I decided to do a jam with the rain.
[video][/video]

Here’s another vid where I attempt to integrate a cigar box guitar with the modular. It was a culture clash, but a whole lotta fun.
[video][/video]

Here’s a jam I did on December 21, the Winter Solstice. Again, it was pretty impromptu but I decided to film it and I liked the result.
[video][/video]

Finally, here’s my most recent jam. It started when I thought to myself, what would happen if I sent a Gregorian chant thru a bitcrusher? I tried it and then decided to do a jam on top of it.
[video][/video]

All these videos are just jams, so there are mistakes, imperfections, and other whatnots involved. They’re nowhere near perfect, but that’s kind of the point right? :despair:

Oh... one more thing... I’m going to Synthplex in March. It should be a lot of fun. However, this means I probably won’t be able to go to Moogfest in May. :( I figured I did Moogfest last year, so I might as well try this one. I’ll let you guys know how it goes and, of course, I’ll take lots of pics. :tu:

I also made some updates in these threads for anyone who is curious...

Synth meets: viewtopic.php?t=169679
DIY projects: viewtopic.php?t=189219
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:35 am

Entry #156: 2019 and still going... ;)

Man I just realized I started this thread on December 27, 2015. I can't believe it's been over 3 years. Crazy! But the good news is... I'm still using modular and making some new stuff.

My gear acquisition habits have slowed down a lot. At this point I find myself having less gear lust and more music lust. I'm trying to come up new ways to use the modular opposed to just buying more modules. Here are a couple recent vids:

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

And to anyone who's followed my modular journey this far... THANK YOU!
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:17 pm

Entry #157: It's Synthplex Week!

Hey guys. Synthplex starts this week. If all goes well, I'll get there Thursday and be around through Saturday morning. I won't get to see everything, but I'm still looking forward to it. I will take lots of pics and post some in this thread after I get back. It should be a lotta fun. :hyper:

To get myself in the mood, I rearranged my rack yesterday. Ironically, I didn't arrange it in any order whatsoever. I purposely put them modules in a random order. Why you ask? Well, I wanted to force my brain to think differently. My rack has been static for so long, I just know where everything is... I need to force a new thought pattern. That's the logic anyway. :tu:

Well... after I finished tightening all the screws, I did this jam on the floor. :goo:

[video][/video]
I am member #22,363

Dave.ID
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dave.ID » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:42 pm

Hey, glad to see you're still posting updates! This was the first diary thread I ever read through and made me want to start my own. Reading your enthusiasm about each new module you got probably helped convince me to go ahead and buy some modules initially :D

Interesting idea to totally randomly rearrange the modules, I keep re-arranging my "planned" modules in modular grid, trying to make it so the ones that will be connected together are only ever 1-2 modules away from each other. Perhaps if I ever get stuck re-patching the same way over and over I'll try that approach but it's all still too new to me for that at the moment.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”