My (Poorness) Eurorack Diary

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:45 pm

First of all... thanks for checking out the thread Dave.ID. Second, I had the same thought about rack order. Traditionally, I've put all my sound sources next to each other, racked filters together, put effects in close proximity, etc. While this seems logical, I was starting to feel like I was creating patches based on rack location instead of function. Nothing wrong with that... but I figured it can't hurt to change it up now and again. :mrgreen:
I am member #22,363

WisdomWriter
Common Wiggler

Post by WisdomWriter » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:02 am

I spread through this thread and really enjoyed seeing your modular journey! very helpful and informative. thank you for your story!

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:43 pm

Thanks for checking it out WisdomWriter. As I mentioned several pages back... the purpose of this thread is to give others an idea of what to expect. Hopefully it can help someone make the decision to dive in (or run away screaming).
I am member #22,363

moosey2juicy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moosey2juicy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:27 am

I spent yesterday reading all 26 pages of this thread, and I think it is now my favorite thread on this forum. Very inspiring.

I might read it again today.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:53 pm

Entry #158: Just got back from Synthplex 2019

Here's a photo summary of the event...

Arriving at the hotel

I got room 909 by total chance

The banner that welcomed us

Show Floor

Now THAT'S a synth!

Buchla Red Panel modules

Hexinverter setup

Erica demo system

Synclavier II

You don't see that everyday

Gert from Moon shows off his rack

Novation had the coolest visual setup

Massive Moog modular

Danijel gives a tour of the new Tetrapad expander

HOLY VINTAGE GEAR!

MORE VINTAGE GEAR!!!

Ashley from Buchla was super awesome at explaining this complex beast!

WMD's new sequencer

Plasma Drive!

My first Buchla patch (Thanks Noisebug)

SSF demo system

Noise Engineering's latest modules

Miscellaneous

Synthy books

Stickers galore

Inside the Pop Up Synth Museum

JunkieXL's keynote

The Orignial Minimoogs (Yes the original 4)

Minimoog Model A prototype

Minimoog Model B prototype

Minimoog Model C prototype

Minimoog Model D prototype

Live Performances

Dudadius on stage

The Volt Per Octaves are a family band on synths

Gert did a live set for us

Jorg Schaaf did an all modular set

POB performs

Michael Levine & Reinhold Heil put on a heck of a show

Ken Kurasaki knocked a panel out of the ceiling with his insane bass

and Sarah Belle Reid was amazing as usual

I wish I could've stayed longer. It was quite an adventure. During the Friday night concerts, they announced that Synthplex 2020 WILL happen! So, apparently it went well. I have a few criticisms and suggestions... but by and large they did an outstanding job. I can't believe this was the first year. It was impressive for sure... and fun!
I am member #22,363

bchampion96
Common Wiggler

Post by bchampion96 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:24 am

Loving those Minimoog protos! Did you have a play with the Buchla red panel stuff? Thoughts if so? I've still only been to the Brighton modular meet last year, but excited to be representing the Modular Cafe in Aldershot at this year's Brighton modular festival. Definitely jealous you've got to go to one of the 'big gigs'! :P

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:34 pm

I've been to Knobcon, Moogfest, and Synthplex now so I think that takes care of the big 3 (in the US anyway). :lol: I would love to go to Superbooth someday but that's a long trip.

I did play with the Red Panel modules a bit and I liked them, but they were quickly overshadowed by the "real" Buchla. Ashley from Buchla was great. She spent a lot of time with me and really explained each module. I feel like I could actually build a small Buchla system somewhat intelligently at this point (that doesn't mean I could afford it though :help: ).
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon May 13, 2019 12:21 pm

Entry #159: Some Recent Videos

It doesn't seem like this thread is approaching 3 1/2 years old. Oh how time flies! Well... I don't have any major updates, but here are a couple of recent videos. Funny thing... I never posted videos until I started this thread. ;)

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

On a personal note, I think I've reached a good balance between modular and conventional instruments. It's always been my goal to use modular with other instruments, not in place of. At the same time, I feel like I can sit down with just the modular and make a track that stands on its own and I love that. I think I still have some evolution to do, but I like the way it seems to be balancing in my workflow.
Last edited by poorness on Thu May 30, 2019 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Thu May 30, 2019 7:28 am

Entry #160: I Bought/Sold Some Modules This Week!

While the title of the this entry doesn't seem like anything special - after all wigglers are constantly buying and selling gear - it is for me. Using this thread to check (documentation is great isn't it?), I discovered the last time I made any Eurorack changes (other than rearranging the rack) was 9/17/18... over 8 months ago. Wow! :eek:

After using my rack in the same configuration for that long, I think I'm pretty confident about what it's missing. Hopefully these new modules will really complete the vision, but I guess you never really know until you try them out. Unfortunately, one of the new modules is backordered, so it might be another week or two until I have pics... but they're coming. :mrgreen:

I just wanted to post a quick update to let everyone know I'm back to watching the mailbox every day. :lol:
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Entry #161: Changes At Long Last!

Well, after the latest sales and purchases, this is what I have left. I'm pretty happy with the rack at this point. I'm not 100% sold on the Polivoks VCF so I put the blind panel next to it (side note: I haven't had a blind panel in the rack for a looooooooong time). So weird to have empty space. I may reallocate that 14hp at some point but for now... this is what I got. :tu:

Here I am messin' around with the Basimulus Iteritas Alter before work. What a cool module!

I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:15 am

Entry #162: A couple recent vids

I'm certainly not as active with this thread as I once was, but I still think it stands as a decent "how to" or "what to expect" for anyone getting into modular. Anyway, here are a couple of my more recent vids. I really like the way the modular has "found its place" in the studio. Sometimes it's fun to sit down and compose something entirely on modular, but I really like integrating it with other instruments.

[video][/video]

[video][/video]
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:12 am

Entry #163: I'm Still Here

It's been a few months since I posted anything so I wanted to do a quick update. I didn't make it to Knobcon this year :cry: but I'm planning to go next year. Since I've started this thread I've been to Knobcon, Moogfest, Synthplex, and a half dozen local meets, so I guess I can't complain. :tu:

On the music making front... a couple months ago I picked up a used cassette player for $9. I circuit bent it and then did a couple vids integrating it with my synths.

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

I gave me a taste for tape loops and analog manipulation. It's a lot of fun! :hyper: I may get more into that in the future.

More recently, I decided to do a video series on "overlooked" modules. I feel like YouTube gets really caught up in the latest whizbang modules but I rarely see people make videos about the hidden gems of Eurorack. Anyway, I've done 3 episodes so far and I created a YouTube playlist at the URL below. I hope to do a couple more in the coming days.

MY "OVERLOOKED" MODULES PLAYLIST

Since I probably won't get another post in before the end of the month... Happy Halloween Wigglers! :troll: :cthulhu: :domokun:
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:27 am

Oh... and this is the current state of the rack. It's had some minor changes but its been relatively static since June. I do have 8hp of blank space calling out to me though. What do to? :doh:

I am member #22,363

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:05 pm

poorness wrote:Oh... and this is the current state of the rack. It's had some minor changes but its been relatively static since June. I do have 8hp of blank space calling out to me though. What do to? :doh:

Mannequins Cold Mac? I still don't quite understand it but hey maybe that is the point. I haven't (yet) used it but it seems like some kind of badass modular macro control concoction. I know that some people swear by it..

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:40 pm

good journey here, I'm impressed that you managed to go back to having a blank panel, does that ever happen to anyone else?

cold mac is good stuff, if you need what it does. so first check what it does :hihi:

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:03 pm

Here's my latest video, posted over the weekend. I just felt like sharing since I'm not near as active on this thread as I used to be.

[video][/video]

Side note: my TX Wiggles series (which I started during this thread) has hit 50 vids. Wild.
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Re: My (Poorness) Eurorack Diary

Post by poorness » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:01 am

Entry #164: A New EuroToy :mrgreen:

Hey all. Happy 2020! It's been a while since I've posted on Muffs. I'm still active and still messin' about my modular. In fact, I just finished putting together a Polivoks-inspired mini modular. It's essentially the 5 Iron Curtain modules from The Harvestman in a 4MS Pod48X case. Nothing special, but I thought some of you might like to see it.

[video][/video]

Oh... and here's my last video with the "big" modular...

[video][/video]

Also, I looked back through this thread (oh the beauty of documentation) and I received my first Eurorack module on Jan 4, 2016. Which means my modular journey is now 4 years old. Crazy! I'm pretty sure, this is the longest running diary thread on Muffs. :tu:
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:02 pm

Entry #165: Sheltering in Place

Hey wigglers. I hope everyone is keeping their social distance during the pandemic. We are pretty much on lockdown here in Dallas. All non-essential businesses are closed. All who have the ability to work from home are asked to do so. It's kinda crazy. Well, amidst the sheltering in place, I made this. Not really sure what I was gong for, but I like it.

Anyway, I just wanted to chime and say I hope everyone is getting lots of wiggling done while they're stuck inside. Stay safe folks.
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat May 23, 2020 11:26 am

Entry #166: The Wondrous Sonic Beauty of a Fixed Filter Bank

It's been a couple months, so I guess it's time for a fresh entry. It is timely because I just added a new module to the rack... an Aion 907A fixed filter bank. Wow! This thing is hours of fun. Here's my first patch with this baby. I've got a lot of experimenting to do over the long weekend. Which reminds me... Happy (early) Memorial Day Wigglers.

I am member #22,363

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Sat May 23, 2020 7:32 pm

poorness wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:26 am
Entry #166: The Wondrous Sonic Beauty of a Fixed Filter Bank
Wonderful!
But now you're trying to add to my poorness, Poorness. Want one. :love:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

Return to “Eurorack Modules”