Design a Beginners Rack

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:49 am

I met several forum members at Knobcon this past September and still keep in touch with a few of them. One bought a Lifeforms SV-1 (the one that includes the plastic case) and has since been getting addicted. I talked to him the other night and he's now working on the setup below to explorer some generative patches.

This would be a great little setup for a beginner...

Attachments
albert-idea.PNG
albert-idea.PNG (491.82 KiB) Viewed 225 times
I am member #22,363

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:35 am

Xssory wrote:A big decision I encountered while building up my rack is 'sequencer or computer'. Using a DAW and a CV converter turned my rack into sort of a REALLY fancy hardware plugin capable some amazing sounds. However, I was not quite satisfied, and later discovered that sequencing was the 'key ingredient' for me to fully enjoy my system. There's such a spontaneity and immediacy to sequencing in rack, not to mention interesting generative and random options that provide me with the relationship between man and machine that I was looking for. I still keep an Sq1 as a USB-CV converter, but I wouldn't write off euro sequencers as a 'waste of money or HP' as they are the modules I interact with the most in my system and imo the key differentiator for me from working in the box.
Agree 100%

richc90
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by richc90 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:14 pm

A friend of mine asked for some ideas for a 3U rack with a west coast vibe. Here is what I came up with:

tylerkenthill
Learning to Wiggle

Thank you!

Post by tylerkenthill » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:56 pm

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who's contributed to this thread! I'm a beginner and I've found it extremely helpful in trying to figure out where to start. :)

bobbydozen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bobbydozen » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:27 am

Agreed! Lots of inspiring ideas for us n00bs... Please keep them coming.

Paul_Simon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paul_Simon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:18 pm

^ What he said!

Conrad
Common Wiggler

Post by Conrad » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:52 am

Can we revive this by any chance?

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:27 am

Ooh! Ooh! Let me. :hyper:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/550803

All/only modules I have personal experience of.

:cloud:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

Hey_Steve86
Common Wiggler

Post by Hey_Steve86 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:06 am

Here's my plans for my first 84HP rack. This is going to be paired with the Mother 32 I have, but I wanted it to be a complete voice in its own right.

I already have the Maths, uVCA mk1, and the Disting mk3.

Disting Mk4 I added the second Disting because it's so jammed pack full of features. And so I can use the SD card functions without tombing it in my case.

Cursus Iteritas Love the sound of wavetable oscillators and this one can go from mellow to totally nuts, plus it's fairly small HP wise.

VCF-74 Want a very different filter from the Moog ladder sound, and this one sounds amazing to me.

Happy Nerding 3xMIA Because it's a great utility mixer.

uO_c I love the idea of this module, it's functions can give me a bit of that west coast functionality. Plus the tonnetz chord generator and a separate sequencer from the Mother. Although I could swap this out for a WMD MME.

I'm hoping this setup will allow me to explore melodic, drone, and generative music making, while still being straightforward and feeling complete.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:44 am

Point of order: Some people are using up 4hp worth of power supply and some aren't, effectively getting 4hp for free. It's total anarchy! Buildings on fire, children crying... :deadbanana:

So what's it to be?

P.S. Hey_Steve86 - If you want some advice on a real rack best start a new thread. We're just messing about in this one.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

Hey_Steve86
Common Wiggler

Post by Hey_Steve86 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:05 am

P.S. Hey_Steve86 - If you want some advice on a real rack best start a new thread. We're just messing about in this one.
I wasn't really looking for advice, but I apologize if it isn't within the spirit of the thread. My bad. :waah:
Last edited by Hey_Steve86 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:07 am

Hey_Steve86 wrote:
I wasn't really looking for advice. The idea of the thread is to post 84 HP rack ideas. Just posting mine.
Kay. Soz. :oops:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:45 am

that was my draft for my first step into eurorack:

features of this rack:
- analog dual vco + wavefolder (alias "complex oscillator")
- 4 envelopes
- 4 lin/exp vca
- 1 multimode filter
- disting
- midi controllable
- everything analog because thats why i go away from the computer/vst and into eurorack in the first place
- all sound sources are more "general" sounding and controllable, not so much "special character" ... thats what you go for after you have a good basis to build on ;)

i eventually went into a slightly different direction having more space available (started with an 208hp rack) but i still think this is a nice balanced 84hp package.
Last edited by racooniac on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:50 am, edited 11 times in total.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:18 am

This is pretty much half my rack, except the Modbox, I have Batumi instead :

(If you click on the image it gets way bigger)

I think I'd be pretty happy with this little techno machine (+ Digitakt)
Seeing it like this I even wonder if that wouldn't be enough...

guestt

Post by guestt » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:58 pm

Nice to see some new contributions - thank you!

Not sure about the 'messing about' though, there's some seriously well thought out racks in this thread that I know a lot of effort went into, especially the ones with the descriptions and rationales!

Respect to those who have taken the time and effort - you're awesome
:hail:

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:04 pm

After messing with Eurorack for a couple years... if I was to start over today, I'd probably go with an all Make Noise system. I'd get a powered skiff, the modules below, and then get an SQ-1. I think it would be a killer setup for not a lot of cash.... and would be very easy to expand later. :tu:

• Wogglebug
    Function
    Teleharmonic
    STO
    Contour
    Optomix
    Echophon
    Rosie
I am member #22,363

ambientnoise
Common Wiggler

Mother-32 3u expansion

Post by ambientnoise » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:49 pm

This is an awesome thread which gives me some sort of idea, so this thread needs resurrection. I’m looking for a flexible 3u skiff to use alongside the Mother-32 and SQ-1 sequencer. What modules would you guys suggest?

Markthom
Common Wiggler

Post by Markthom » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:31 pm

Knowing what I know now, this would have been a perfect 3U 104hp rig to create music with, YMMV of course and obviously you would need to be able to solder or know someone who does :) -

ayruos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ayruos » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:49 pm

This is a fun thread. I'd go with this!

Add a couple of intelligel hubs for mults!

Edit:
Reasons I'd go with this?

Main sound sources - I have a variety of options with the Pico Voice + STO + the Polivoks filter.

Maths for all my envelopes and other needs.

2hp Random for some random modulations.

2hp Clock as my master clock - I know I can use the Maths for that too, but I'd rather not.

Moddemix + LxD for all VCA and LPG duties.

And the TSNM for maximum playability.

(Rosie for 3 channel mixing + output).

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Okay, this is kinda weird. I was laying in bed last night trying to fall asleep and I had a passing thought. I wondered if I could take some of my Harvestman modules out of my main rack, add a few more, and create and a euroglitch skiff. I drew this up on Modulargrid before falling asleep.

Then today this thread gets resurrected. I guess that means I'm supposed to share it... :tu:
Or maybe it means I'm supposed to build it. Won't the wife be pleased... :hmm:
I am member #22,363

ayruos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ayruos » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:37 am

ayruos wrote:Image

This is a fun thread. I'd go with this!

Add a couple of intelligel hubs for mults!

Edit:
Reasons I'd go with this?

Main sound sources - I have a variety of options with the Pico Voice + STO + the Polivoks filter.

Maths for all my envelopes and other needs.

2hp Random for some random modulations.

2hp Clock as my master clock - I know I can use the Maths for that too, but I'd rather not.

Moddemix + LxD for all VCA and LPG duties.

And the TSNM for maximum playability.

(Rosie for 3 channel mixing + output).
On second thought, I could replace the 2hp clock with the 2hp LFO and use the primary square wave as my clock and the secondary wave with any shape as a clock synced modulation source.

Josef_K
Common Wiggler

Post by Josef_K » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:54 am

I have to assume the noob in question shares my wish for a modular synth that is designed to be played with a keyboard.

Attenuators: both my analog oscillators so far need their pitch CV tweaked with these.

Tides: Sounds incredible at audio-rates but not that interesting with LP filters. If on a very low budget skip the analog VCO:s and filter and start here. Very interesting LFO shapes, very intuitive to use for being digital.

Dixies: A better starting point than doepfer, since they can double as LFO:s. I went with Wiard Oscs myself but they are too wide for a 84hp system. Two of the same OSC are great for a coherent sound both standard and when FM:ing each other.

DTM: a mixer with saturation is important, imo having control over saturation in two or more stages of the chain greatly enhances the sound.

Polaris: seems like a nice all-round filter with drive and AP modes which might fit Tides better than LP. Filter and osc from the same manufacturer makes sense imo.

ADSR:s with multi-trig and gate delay is great. VCA:s with drive and log/lin is also a nice bonus.

Finally I didn't start with a semi-modular and probably wouldn't have wanted to. I want my main sections separate so that when I have three osc:s, two filters and so on the audio path is still clear. Having for example the atlantis means having an instrument inside the instrument, and that would be irritating for me.

mazzyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mazzyboy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:31 am

OK, so after 3 years of modular noodling, I finally feel I can call myself an ‘intermediate’ user and may be able to offer some advice to modular beginners.
The first thing I’d say is that eurorack probably isn’t the best format for building a nice sounding mono synth. Of course – it can do that, but it’s not exactly cost effective, and its arguably not any better sounding than any other fixed architecture synth. So if you are considering getting into modular to build a nice sounding analogue voice, personally I’d recommend you save yourself some cash and just buy a second hand SH-101!
For me, the beauty of modular is that it can offer a very different workflow compared to composing on more traditional sequencers/daws and synths. And for me, this what makes modulars just so damn inspiring to work with!
So this small system is designed to help beginners start to ‘think modular’ and experiment with different approaches to composition.

So here’s my suggested starter set up:

And I’m going to be very cheeky and add this (It’s a self contained unit, with its own power supply, that sits outside the main rack):

Let’s look at each of these in a bit more detail.

“Abstract Data Octocontroller”: This can be the living beating heart of a system. It gives 8 channels of tempo synced functions – these include clock pulses, lfos, sample and hold CV and gates, rhythms, and melodies. These are all useful enough as they are, but things can get really interesting when you start combing some of these together in different way – we’ll come back to some examples of this later. It’s worth noting that some people don’t gel with the interface too well, although personally I’ve never found it a problem – everything is laid out clearly and logically on the front panel.
An alternative might be “Pamela’s New Workout” which has a similar set of functions, is a bit smaller, has a screen, but requires some menu diving.

“Ornament and Crime (micro version)”: This is a muti-function module – A kind of modular Swiss army knife. The original firmware had a handful of useful apps, but I recommend updating to the new alternative ‘Hemispheres’ firmware. Not only is this new firmware a bit more user friendly and easier to navigate, but it allows you to run 2 apps simultaneously. You’ll probably want to set one app as a quantiser to keep your melodies within a set scale. Other apps include all kinds of interesting useful functions, including sequencers, envelopes, arpeggiators, ‘turing machines’ (a type of random sequence generator), the list goes on…!
Alternatively, look at “Expert Sleepers Disting” – another muti function module. This also includes several audio rate and dsp functions, and even sample playback. However, so many functions packed into such a small module mean that interface is far from user friendly.

“Mutable Instruments Kinks”: This is where things start to get interesting compared to traditional synths, and where you start to ‘think modular’. This module includes 3 types of utility – cv signal processing, logic, and sample and hold. The first section allows you to to change the shape of waves in different ways, for example to invert them, or only use the top half of a wave (‘rectifying’). Logic can be used to combine different gate patterns to produce variations on these rhythms, or you can combine lfos to get more interesting modulations – this section clearly pairs well with the octocontroller. The sample and hold section is the most basic way to introduce random elements into your compositions . It can also create stepped, rather than smooth, modulations (try combining and lfo and a rhythm from the octocontroller). Send the complex lfos that you have created in the logic section here, rectify them in the signal processing section, then send the output to an oscillator to create melodies – all without a sequencer or piano roll in sight! Finally, the noise output from the sample and hold section is useful for percussive sounds, or try adding a little to the fm input of an oscillator to add some grit.
Have a look at this video which goes over using lfos and sample and hold to create melodic patterns:

“Mutable Instruments Stages”: Another module that really forces you to ‘think modular’. Envelopes, lfos, sequences – all depending on how you patch the module. But what I really like about this is the amount of cv control you have over each stage - so you can create constantly shifting envelopes, modulation and sequences rather than having static or constantly repeating sounds. To start, try plugging a slow lfo in to the decay stage of the envelope.
Alternatives: “Intelijel Quadra and Expander” – While the Quadra alone is a simple A(H)R envelope generator, the expander adds the all important CV control, along with some other interesting functions. Maybe a bit more straightforward to use, but a bit bigger than Stages though.

“Happy Nerding 3xMIA”: Most modular beginners tend to focus on cool sound sources, filters and fx – but remember; don’t skimp on the utilities! These are often hid under the hood of fixed synths – but they are a totally essential part of your set up. This module combines mixing, attenuverters (shrinking and/or reversing waveforms) and offsets (adding a fixed voltage). I’ll let you research the importance of these – best rest assured that they are vital. The beauty of this module is how the functions depend on how you patch it. Let’s say it together – ‘Think modular’!
Alternatives: “Mutable instruments Shades”, or if you are handy with a soldering iron “Fonitronik Cascade”.

“Intelijel Dixie 2”: A great first analogue oscillator. To be honest, I don’t really buy into the ‘analogue is better’ mindset – especially with oscillators. Your choice of filters will probably have a much bigger effect on your sound. That said, having individual outputs for each waveform, along with a host of inputs for various functions does encourage you to experiment and ‘think modular’. As an example, check out this video in which he uses an analogue oscillator to build up a variety of bass drum sounds:
Alternatives: There’s a ton of nice oscillators out there! “Make Noise STO” is an interesting one – primarily designed with bass in mind, and with some nice wave shaping features to boot.

“Mutable Instruments Plaits”: A digital oscillator will give you a wide range of sounds and timbre to compliment the more traditional analogue waveforms. Don’t worry about digital sounding ‘clean’ or ‘harsh’ in comparison to analogue – you can always mangle the sound through analogue filters and effects to add ‘character’. This versatile module has a variety of waveforms, percussion, and noise settings. It’s often accused of only being a bank of ‘presets’, but don’t believe it for a second! Think of these as starting points for more complex sounds. 3 modulation inputs will ensure that you can get a load of sonic variety out of this.
Alternatives: Plaits predecessor – “Braids” may have been discontinued, but there are plenty second hand ones out there at bargain prices, and is also available in ‘micro’ format – perfect for a small system. Plaits has an extra modulation input and reportedly sounds ‘better’ in certain modes, but Braids has a few tricks up its sleeve that are absent from the newer model – in particular, it has a built in quantiser, and options to reduce bit depth and rate.

“Steady State Fate MMF”: An incredibly versatile filter with a small footprint. This gives you low pass, high pass and band pass outputs. It is capable of self oscillation, so can be used as a sine wave oscillator if you aren’t processing other sounds with it – try using this to FM (frequency modulate) your other oscillators, to to add sub to a bass line. It is also ‘pingable’, meaning that you can send it a trigger and you will get a short percussive ‘pluck’, without the need for a VCA.

“Doepfer A-124”: A pure character piece! Nothing sounds like a wasp filter! It’s not quite as versatile as the MMF – it doesn’t self oscillate and isn’t pingable, per se – but it can still give a wide variety of sounds. Try cranking up the level and resonance and send rhythmic gates and triggers to the input while modulating cut off to get all manner of interesting pops and clicks.
Alternatives: Eurorack is blessed with a wide range of ‘character’ filters. This video has a nice comparison of a selection of them:

“ALM Tangle Quartet”: There’re whole threads on muffwiggler dedicated to why VCAs are so important in your system, so I won’t go on about it here. I’ll just recommend this video ( and add that this particular VCA adds a nice additional ‘think modular’ element in the form of its mix output. This sends out a mix of all the inputs, but subtracts them if you patch their individual output, giving you some interesting routing options.

“Koma Field Kit FX”: A lovely stand alone fx unit that integrates with your modular wonderfully (if you really must, there is a eurorack panel available for it too). It contains a spring reverb, a crusty (in a good way) delay, bit crushing, pitch shifting, a lopper, vcas and even a mini sequencer - Many wigglers feel that there is no need to include fx in the modular set up, and this is better added in a daw or at the mixing stage. If all you want is an end of chain reverb or delay, then I’d probably agree with them. But modular fx add all kinds of interesting routing and modulation options. This unit has a particularly ‘think modular’ approach to fx patching, with assignable CV inputs and you’ll even need to patch up your wet/dry mix. Try patching other fx in the delay feedback chain, or modulating reverb to only hit certain notes in a sequence. And who doesn’t love a spring delay?!

A few final points: You’ll probably need to send duplicate signals around the modular at some point (for example sending the same envelope to a filter and a vca). Traditionally this is done with ‘multiples’ or ‘mults’, but you can do the same with ‘stackcables’. They may seem a bit pricey for cables, but they save space in the rack - You’ll need a few of them. You can also get ‘attenuator cables’ if you find you are running out of these elsewhere. They are useful and save rack space, but are a bit fiddly to use and wiggle compared to rackmount versions.
Unless you really need a direct headphone output from your modular system, don’t worry about output modules – just turn the gain right down at your mixer/audio interface.
Buy a bigger case than you think you’ll need. You’ll probably end up expanding sooner than you thought! And I’d recommend getting one from a trusted company with an integrated power supply – a cheap dirty power source will affect all kinds of things in strange and unpredictable ways!
Buy secondhand whenever possible. Most modules hold their value pretty well, and can be flipped at the cost of postage if you decide they aren’t for you – and you probably will flip round a few modules until you work out exactly which system and workflow are right for you.

I hope this is of some use to someone out there!
Think modular!!!
[/img]

Slic
Common Wiggler

Re: Design a Beginners Rack

Post by Slic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:57 am

guestt wrote:I've been thinking about how there were so many newbie threads asking for advice on their module choices for their first rack, which of course is totally cool, but I wondered if there was another way to approach this and have some fun at the same time.

So, thought I'd start a challenge thread, there is only one rule: design a rack 3U / 84hp that is suitable for a person new to modular and share an image here - that's it!

I'm a huge fan of Mutable Instruments so I've started this off with a little MI rack that could do anything from 4 voice drum sets to pretty complex drones and wicked bass/lead lines, this is a deceptively versatile little setup:

An alternative would be to swap out Tides for Rings perhaps - that would be fun too!

Here's links to the selected modules for further reading:

http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/yarns £249 - A midi interface with thru midi (important for me!) and scale quantising, but also a sh101 style sequencer, euclidean pattern generator and oscillator too! The variety of options here is bewildering at first, enough to keep anyone happy for quite some time.

http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/peaks £139 - swiss army knife of modulation - the tap follower is crazy good and the 808 style drums are some of the best available in Eurorack imho!

http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/braids £295 - a huge array of sound sources, all digital, but they can sound quite analogue if treated well! Light on modulation options, but rich in variation, it can also be uploaded with alternative firmware Bees in the trees for more stuff!

http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/tides £185 - Olivier says this is still probably the best module he has ever made, tons of modulation and a big blurring of lines between what an LFO and an audio rate oscillator are - it sounds fab at audio rate!

http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/warps £175 - wave folder++ for crazy timbres! Another Oscillator and it will do through zero fm too!

http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/streams £179 - super snappy envelopes, envelope follower and compressor amongst other things - it sounds great!

http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/links £55 - I think all modulars should have buffered mults, but this also includes a little mixer which I use all the time for stereo stuff.

http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/shades £79 - and finally an attenuvertor for modifying signals and mixing.

Approximate cost not including case: £1356

Of course the great thing now is rather than going on modular grid you can download VCV rack and hear 'exactly; what this would sound like (and a lot of then other MI modules) and play around with patching before you decide! - the cost- FREE!

rollingpeople
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rollingpeople » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:28 am

thats my current setup (well, i´m cheating cause a Minibrute 2s fill the gaps: (adsr, inverter, LFOs, extra VCOs for use with Marbles, and another filter.)[/img]

Return to “Eurorack Modules”