Design a Beginners Rack

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:34 pm

That's a great setup rollingpeople. For an even smaller version, you could do a lot with just Marbles, Plaits, and Clouds. What is that... 48hp?
I am member #22,363

rollingpeople
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rollingpeople » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:51 am

poorness wrote:That's a great setup rollingpeople. For an even smaller version, you could do a lot with just Marbles, Plaits, and Clouds. What is that... 48hp?
yes! indeed, this past summer i travelled with this exact setup (Marbles, Plaits and Clouds) in a Doepfer 48 hp mini case. I learned a lot using such a limited setup, this are three "tracks" i made with it:

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=3473697237 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

HZR
Common Wiggler

Post by HZR » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:50 am

As a beginner i always wanted to go into eurorack as cheap as possible, that was some years ago, of course, but now i want to present you one of the cheapest racks i have planned. :75:

Cheap Entry Rack

And it costs only 877€ thats something around 1000$

The thing is, i don‘t know how to post a screenshot of this rack with my smartphone but i can say whats going on:

Erica Synths Pico VCO (because everybody needs atleast one)
Erica Synths Pico Voice (because its not just a vco, it has different voices!)
Erica Synths Pico Drums (drums are a nice to have)
Erica Synths Pico DSP (FX are always good!)
Takaab: Mixer, 3xAttenuator, 3LFO, VCA, Multiple, VC-EG. (i just saw them somewhere in this forum and they are so cheap, even when the quality is not the best, you can easily buy them again)
Doepfer Wasp Filter (i saw videos of almost all filters from doepfer and this one sounds so badass!)

This rack is also filled with some small blankpanels, because these pico modules are really close together if you dont use blank panels.

rosten
Common Wiggler

Actual Beginner, beginner's rack

Post by rosten » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Hi all, I'm an actual beginner.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/751680

This is what I'm thinking of for my first foray into modular beginner's rack. for melodic content and drones. Would love to add sequencing eventually but I imagine that will come later?

Feedback extremely welcome.

---
Whys:

Tides- really liked playing with this and seems versatile -could be modulation source, envelope, or oscillator

Veils seems like it would pair well with Tides and help the pieces communicate in general.

STO - wanted something with an actual analog oscillator in the mix.

Maths - seems like everyone recommends this, At the moment I'm imagining using it often as an envelope generator.

Sisters- seems like a nice weird/versatile filter

erbe-verb - I realize this is probably a lot of hp for what it is/what else I have - but I have this module already - bought it first to use in a sound design project when I was borrowing someone else's rig. . .

OK, thoughts!? anything I'm totally missing. Anything that seems like a mistake?
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-10-04 11.22.59.png
Screenshot 2018-10-04 11.22.59.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 422 times

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:49 pm

I think this would be a pretty cool little self contained system to play with.

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:12 pm

My current (more or less) travel rack. More east coast than west coast, I'm more of a keyboard player. Some kits in here 'though, means you need to build stuff but takes the cost down (once you get some soldering equipment of course).

Disting is a handy multi-function module, pair of VCOs, another VCO with sub and waveshaping, attenuator, Pip Slope for LFO and function generation, random and noise, clock, sequencer, mixer, pair of filters, pair of EGs, a VCA and headphone outs (optional).

http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/658880

Gubbist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Gubbist » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:21 am

rollingpeople wrote:
thats my current setup (well, i´m cheating cause a Minibrute 2s fill the gaps: (adsr, inverter, LFOs, extra VCOs for use with Marbles, and another filter.)[/img]
Interesting. I also use a 2S and a small rack with some MI modules. It feels like a great starting point for a modular journey.

Nice tracks on Soundcloud, btw.

mmpingo
Common Wiggler

Post by mmpingo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:44 am

poorness wrote: This would be a great little setup for a beginner...

Why Wogglebug? I mean is a random/burst module of this kind (not neceserilly Wogglebug) an essential in a beginner's setup?

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:04 am

mmpingo wrote:Why Wogglebug? I mean is a random/burst module of this kind (not neceserilly Wogglebug) an essential in a beginner's setup?
You cut out the first part of the quote, but that wasn't my idea, it was somebody else's. I just shared it with the thread.

I can't say for sure why he picked Wogglebug. The S&H circuit inside the Lifeforms module certainly provides a random source. But if we're talking solely about synth essentials, the SV-1 covers all that and then some. I think he was looking to expand beyond the basics. Maybe he really liked the audio or clock sections of Wogglebug in addition to the random. Or maybe he thought the S&H was limited and wanted smooth/stepped outputs.

One thing I've learned in the modular world is that there's no "typical" setup. The system just needs to make sense to you. Regardless of why he chose those modules, I think it looks like a fun setup. I can see a lot of possibilities there.
I am member #22,363

Bitmud
Common Wiggler

Post by Bitmud » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Yes I know is 4U...
but for me was it a good (analogue) starting point.

- Semi modular module (VCO, VCF, VCA, envelopes,...)
- Sequencing via MIDI or USB (e. g. iPad)
- Add external stereo effects (e. g. Korg Kaoss Pad)
- Two analogue oscillators
- Two analogue filters
- Two analogue distortions (diode, folder)
- Two extra envelopes
- One LFO (Tonestar)
- Two extra VCAs
- buffered multi (for pitch)
- and Disting for the rest (e.g. effects, random, ...)
- fm fun

:party:

mmpingo
Common Wiggler

Post by mmpingo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:08 pm

HZR wrote: Takaab: Mixer, 3xAttenuator, 3LFO, VCA, Multiple, VC-EG. (i just saw them somewhere in this forum and they are so cheap, even when the quality is not the best, you can easily buy them again)
Coud you give some more details about their quality, please? I consider buying 3LFO.

placebo92
Common Wiggler

Post by placebo92 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:48 pm

I still am very much a beginner, but I think if I was to start over from scratch I'd go with this:

A self contained groove box with everything you need, plus lots of knobs/sliders/buttons to keep it playable and fun! :cloud: Also would make a great base system for further growth down the line I think.

oudplayer
Common Wiggler

Post by oudplayer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:32 pm

I've decided to take the plunge after being interested in the Eurorack scene for a few years now. While I plan on expanding to 208hp, the top row of my modulargrid case is exactly what I'm getting now - and fits the 84hp requirement :)

It's designed around two contrasting voices; one is for scrubbing and mangling pre-recorded or live input audio (oud, darbuka, frame drums, etc) and doing tape music kind of approaches. That voice is primarily the morphagene + maths.

Voice 2 will be for industrial-leaning wavetable drones: piston honda mkIII + the wmd/ssf modbox lfo for modulation is the main driving force there. I threw in a Disting Mk4, partly for learning purposes (can try out a couple dozen operations, and down the line figure out if I want to get dedicated modules that do the same but with more control), and partly because it should be able to play back CV sequences bounced to a wav file.

Quad VCA + buffered mult for utility purposes.

I might sub a different 2hp thing for the 2hp TM.

The lower half is for future expansion; a third, full-featured analog voice, and then moving towards different timing stuff with Pamela's for clock divider duties—but that's for next summer.

Thanks to the guys at Control (Brooklyn) for letting me play with these specific modules - I had had a different setup in mind, but it became clear that the Morphagene and Piston-based voices were going to get me much closer to the kinds of sounds and operations I wanted to do than the other modules I was considering.

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:23 pm

If I would start again, I would go for the pulplogic lunch box 52HP / 3+2U as it pack power suply, spring reverb and output without using any HP :hail:

Some kindda eastcost/Easle/drony, very playable and fun portable synth

Version 1 - Not so expensive if you replace with PlanarI

Version 2

I know it's not 84HP but ... :cloud: And 1U tiles are cheap

hermbot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hermbot » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:02 pm

72 hp, less than $1500 new. Everything you need, nothing you don't:

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:46 pm

i saw this thread and loved it cause i've been working on perfecting my 84hp gig kit for a while now. i've been swapping modules out with my larger setup, and this is what i've settled on...

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/m ... 787765.jpg

Folktek Channel for playability and epic DSP effects
Disting cause duh
Function because Maths is too big
2HP VCA and ADSR for utility functions in the smallest possible space
Blue Lantern Grains because Clouds is too big and the knobs on uBurst are too small, plus Grains has an additional FM CV input and attenuverter
Overseer for fun MS-20 style filter action

i must admit that i supplement what's in the rack with an SQ-1, Bastl Dude mixer, and a Keystep. plus i have a Meng Qi Please Exist (original 4-channel version) installed in the back of my case housing that serves as my input and output. i'm also considering swapping the Overseer for a NanoRings, but i'm worried that it having only a mono input will be annoying.

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:30 pm

placebo92 wrote:I still am very much a beginner, but I think if I was to start over from scratch I'd go with this:

A self contained groove box with everything you need, plus lots of knobs/sliders/buttons to keep it playable and fun! :cloud: Also would make a great base system for further growth down the line I think.
aren't you missing an actual voice here? am I missing something?

oilpanic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oilpanic » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:19 pm

My idea of a basic system. In black, and on a budget.

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:03 pm

medium Rob wrote:
placebo92 wrote:I still am very much a beginner, but I think if I was to start over from scratch I'd go with this:

aren't you missing an actual voice here? am I missing something?
anybody? hello?

mmpingo
Common Wiggler

Post by mmpingo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Tempi can be also an oscillator if I remember correctly...

rosten
Common Wiggler

Post by rosten » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:25 pm

The above would be a nice setup for controlling a bunch of other modules, but no I don't think it would be too fun if it were your whole rig (unless you were mostly interested in using it as a source of mood lighting/flashing lights).

I *think* the OP was joking?

It's theoretically possible that you could get some kind of sound out of a Tempi but it would in no way be a good candidate for a main oscillator.

ralph_eugene_meatyard
1-Post Wiggler

help

Post by ralph_eugene_meatyard » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:08 pm

does this setup make sense? what would you subtract or add?

I already have a mother32, grandmother, and 0 coast, with a koma field mixer. i control various aspects of this setup through ableton

Want to keep a small setup.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 10.51.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 10.51.10 PM.png (3.29 MiB) Viewed 417 times

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:38 am

I know folks have done various sizes/configurations on these last couple pages, but if you go back to the original post... the racks are suppose to be 3U/84HP.

So, using that criteria, I'd say the above rack is way too big. :D Objectively however, it looks like a really good starter setup. :tu: I'd probably add a 'traditional' osc and filter to fill those empty spaces. Or possibly a VCA. What's the saying again? :razz:
I am member #22,363

wm.wragg
Common Wiggler

Post by wm.wragg » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:25 am

This is a cut down version of my current 3U 104HP system, but I think the reduction to 84HP doesn’t loose much, and would work really well for a beginner:

Marbles: CV/note and trigger/gate sequencer, random source, quantiser
DPO: Wonderful complex oscillator, with well thought out internal routing to minimise patching, VCA, and the oscillators can work as 2 main oscillators, rather than one complex one
Maths: Great all round utility module for a small system, also makes a nice complex oscillator as well, and at a pinch a VCF
Dynamix LPG, VCA, drive, compressor, and mixer
Moddemix Ring mod, mixer, nice sounding VCA
HPO Simple clean output module for headphones or line level

This system is essentially the core of a Make Noise Shared System, but using the Marbles, rather than the René and Wogglebug, and Dynamix in place of the Optomix.

One reason for picking mostly Make Noise modules, is that they are really well designed for a small system, with included attenuators, great patch programming flexibility, buffered outs, diode protected ins on gate inputs for mixing gates with stackables, and they also work wonderfully together.

In my sytem the HPO is replaced by a Mannequins W/, but I think this would overwhelm a newcomer. My systems extra 20HP is taken up by a Pressure points, which I love.
Last edited by wm.wragg on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

orbita
Wiggling with Experience

Post by orbita » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:34 am

Interesting reading this. I think having some beginner recommended systems is a really good idea but I think it needs to be purpose driven and possibly ‘expertly’ curated to be of real value, possibly with less emphasis on actual modules and more emphasis on ‘type of module’

Eg
Techno system
1. Simple gate/trigger sequencing. Eg Pamela’s, grids
2. Drum related voice eg BIA, pico drums, tip-top
3. Modulator - octacontroller, Batumi, voltage block
4. Mixer - 2hp mix
5. Secondary voice - plaits, rings

Growth options .. filter, fx etc

Drone system

Also, some common space reducing tips Such as
- some complex osc allow both osc to be used separately and have additional features eg shapeshifter has delay and fold
- oscillators with their own lpg avoid need for envelopes and VCAs
- Some vcas act as mixers
- 0coast is a great compliment to a beginner setup as it’s small, cheap and gives a lot of basics
- dieting is always useful as it lets you learn about unfamiliar modules and fills in gaps

Return to “Eurorack Modules”