Design a Beginners Rack

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:09 am

Siete wrote:Im new to euro systems so any feedback on any of them, including and order of preference would be really appreciated.

One thing I've learned in my first year of modular is that there's no right or wrong in Eurorack. It can be anything you want it to be (provided you know what you want it to be of course :hihi: ). The important thing is that the rack makes sense to the wiggler. :goo:

That said, the top rack seems a little modulation heavy compared to the number of sound sources (although some like that). The middle one is probably my favorite of the 3 (I really wish it had a dedicated VCA/LPG though). The bottom one seems like it needs an envelope generator or 2 (maybe pull out Sisters or Erica and add a MN Function or Pitts Envelope)... but again, that's all just my opinion. Another wiggler may think they're perfect.

I attached a pic of what I'm talking about. Again, take it with a grain of salt. One thing is for sure, you've chosen some really good Euro modules. :tu:

EDIT: embedded pic
Attachments
racks.png
racks.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 159 times
Last edited by poorness on Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am member #22,363

Siete
Common Wiggler

Post by Siete » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:34 pm

poorness wrote:
Siete wrote:Im new to euro systems so any feedback on any of them, including and order of preference would be really appreciated.

One thing I've learned in my first year of modular is that there's no right or wrong in Eurorack. It can be anything you want it to be (provided you know what you want it to be of course :hihi: ). The important thing is that the rack makes sense to the wiggler. :goo:

That said, the top rack seems a little modulation heavy compared to the number of sound sources (although some like that). The middle one is probably my favorite of the 3 (I really wish it had a dedicated VCA/LPG though). The bottom one seems like it needs an envelope generator or 2 (maybe pull out Sisters or Erica and add a MN Function or Pitts Envelope)... but again, that's all just my opinion. Another wiggler may think they're perfect.

I attached a pic of what I'm talking about. Again, take it with a grain of salt. One thing is for sure, you've chosen some really good Euro modules. :tu:
Oh really thank you for the detailed feedback! :D
I have some experience with classic synths but Im new to euro.

The firat is the one I liked the moat when I planned those three but I was also concerned bout the lack of a classic dedicated VCO,
the tides and warps can also act as sound sources with the parasite firmware tho.

Ill be usin the rack alongside an octatrack a slim phatty and a minitaur so aound sources shouldnt be a prolem anyway, still have to conaider it, thrid rack looks like a aolid option with the
changes u made.

Thanks again for your time and knowledge.

kiddcabbage
Common Wiggler

Post by kiddcabbage » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:18 pm

This is a rack designed as an external synth routed back into a signal processing chain. Perfect for a computer producer.

Yarns: Great control from a computer or external sequencer. Outputs clock and multiple arrays of CVs from MIDI.

Nano Rand: Random tempo-based steps breath so much life into your sounds.

Maths: Whether you need portamento, envelopes, LFOs, this covers it all.

Mult: Why the fuck not. I had 2HP left.

DPO: I keep falling in love with the DPO over and over. Basic waveforms, yadda yadda, but its mod bus makes just the dirtiest basslines, the sync on osc 1 can get effects from classic to heavy, and cross FM can get otherworldy sounds. All of this combined into a single patch, and you're touching the stars.

MMG: My first MN module, which sold me on the company. I know so many people are into vintage-modeled filters and all, but this filter just slays. I fucking love the sound.

Shades: I mean you need an output, huh?

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:32 pm

A big decision I encountered while building up my rack is 'sequencer or computer'. Using a DAW and a CV converter turned my rack into sort of a REALLY fancy hardware plugin capable some amazing sounds. However, I was not quite satisfied, and later discovered that sequencing was the 'key ingredient' for me to fully enjoy my system. There's such a spontaneity and immediacy to sequencing in rack, not to mention interesting generative and random options that provide me with the relationship between man and machine that I was looking for. I still keep an Sq1 as a USB-CV converter, but I wouldn't write off euro sequencers as a 'waste of money or HP' as they are the modules I interact with the most in my system and imo the key differentiator for me from working in the box.

grep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grep » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:41 pm

I was thinking basic analog voice with room to grow.
No menu diving or complicated multifunction modules.
VCO, LFO, mixer/attenuator, VCF, ADSR, VCA and outs.
Pair with a Korg SQ-1 and a nice set of heaphones...
Last edited by grep on Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Xssory wrote:Using a DAW and a CV converter turned my rack into sort of a REALLY fancy hardware plugin capable some amazing sounds. However, I was not quite satisfied, and later discovered that sequencing was the 'key ingredient' for me to fully enjoy my system. There's such a spontaneity and immediacy to sequencing in rack, not to mention interesting generative and random options that provide me with the relationship between man and machine that I was looking for.
Well said! I agree completely. :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:
I am member #22,363

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:03 am

@grep... Your post got me thinking... If you swapped the Dixie II+ modules for Dixie II's, and swapped the uJack for the Synthrotek 1U version. That whole system would fit in one of those Synthrotek Lunchbox cases. You'd even have room left over for a buffered mult. This would be a b@d@55 starter system!!!

Last edited by poorness on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Siete
Common Wiggler

Post by Siete » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:37 am

Xssory wrote:A big decision I encountered while building up my rack is 'sequencer or computer'. Using a DAW and a CV converter turned my rack into sort of a REALLY fancy hardware plugin capable some amazing sounds. However, I was not quite satisfied, and later discovered that sequencing was the 'key ingredient' for me to fully enjoy my system. There's such a spontaneity and immediacy to sequencing in rack, not to mention interesting generative and random options that provide me with the relationship between man and machine that I was looking for. I still keep an Sq1 as a USB-CV converter, but I wouldn't write off euro sequencers as a 'waste of money or HP' as they are the modules I interact with the most in my system and imo the key differentiator for me from working in the box.
I dont mean to hijack the thread but any advice on sequencers?? I like the rene cus is not a straightforward seq but is really space consuming...

Marrak
Common Wiggler

Post by Marrak » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:46 am

I thought I'd have a go at this as I'm always imagining what I can squeeze into a small system.

This may not be the most straight forward selection of modules for someone new to modular, but I think it would offer a wide range of sounds and many many possibilities to explore.

Image[/img]

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:15 am

I made this sketch about a year ago so it doesn't include too many of the newest toys, but this felt like a pretty capable system in 84hp, if I was just getting started with eurorack I'd definitely recommend the following. It grows with you!

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/207742

guestt

Post by guestt » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:36 pm

Oooh, for some reason I didn't get a notification that this had been resurrected, nice work everyone! Great to see more small systems that are wonderful starting pouts that I hope are some good inspiration for beginners!

Actually one or two of them have given me some ideas about how to reorganise my stuff - cheers!!

Good work :tu: :tu: :tu:

grep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grep » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:20 pm

poorness wrote:@grep... Your post got me thinking... If you swapped the Dixie II+ modules for Dixie II's, and swapped the uJack for the Synthrotek 1U version. That whole system would fit in one of those Synthrotek Lunchbox cases. You'd even have room left over for a buffered mult. This would be a b@d@55 starter system!!!

Yes, nice little system. My plan is very similar using an Intellijel 42HP case.

Last edited by grep on Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:15 pm

@Siete... you bet man. Muffs is about sharing experiences. :wink:
@Xssory... I can see that rack being a whole lot of fun. :hyper:
@grep... great minds :tu:
Last edited by poorness on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:55 pm

kiddcabbage wrote:This is a rack designed as an external synth routed back into a signal processing chain. Perfect for a computer producer.

Not a single VCA in sight. :despair:

keyofnight
Common Wiggler

Post by keyofnight » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:29 am

This is close to a mini version of the synth I'm building.

A Pressure Points + Brains combo acts as a sequencer and expressive input.

The SSF Ultra Random serves as a clock, random source, and multi-tool.

The Befaco Rampage plays the part of MATHS Ch. 1 & 4, with edge detection and analog logic outs.

The Intellijel Triatt plays the part of MATHS Ch. 2 & 3—as attenuverters, DC offsets, etc. It also can play the part of a 3-way audio mixer. Maybe this space would be better used on another dual VCAs (like the Malekko one). You can never have enough VCAs, right?

The Livewire Dalek Modulator is such a great-sounding dual oscillator. What I like about it is that while they are hardwired to modulate one another, there aren't too many mysterious internal connections. It also has a ring modulator output.

Finally, I threw the WMD Multimode VCA in there., because does quite a bit.

I left filters out… because I thought complex oscillation should be enough.
"…an answer which cannot be expressed the question too cannot be expressed. […] If a question can be put at all, then it can also be answered." Wittgenstein, Tractatus, §6.52

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:27 pm

This may be cheating but I think this simple rig would kill...

I played with the Metropolis/Atlantis combo at Knobcon. They seem to pair really well together, It's potentially weeks of wiggling fun. :tu:
I am member #22,363

Monotremata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Monotremata » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:03 am

I just starting building mine about a month or so ago. Got a 6U Erica Synths case, and still dont have the top row filled, but so far the modules I have are a pretty decent combo to start making noise, and simple mono synth stuff, so I just made a mockup of mine heh. The only things I dont have in mine that the pic has is the extra VCO, and the Multiple (but those are my next purchases anyways). I am getting a Blue Lantern ADSR eventually so I can devote the Maths to a crazy FM source, but for right now the Maths works great as a makeshift ADSR once you patch it right.

Aiyn Zahev
Common Wiggler

Post by Aiyn Zahev » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:59 am

taintedsun wrote:If this thread is an attempt to brew up interesting ideas for new racks and/or inspire new modular users, keep on keeping on! If the goal is to reduce newbie threads, eh...

When I started, I made my own thread but, thinking back, it was a waste of everyone's time, including mine. Newbie threads are a bit like asking someone in the pool how cold the water. Just jump in and figure it out for yourself. If anything, this thread will go on to prove my point, too; just look at how little overlap there already is

I don't know, modular life is very public prior to taking the plunge and then quite introspective once your toes are wet. At least, in my opinion.
Semi-Noob here. Can confirm! Even if two people shared the same musical goal they might choose drastically different configurations to get there. That's exactly the appeal to me, do it your way©

noizebass
1-Post Wiggler

Post by noizebass » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:19 am

As a total n00b, I would like give thanks to everyone contributing to this thread- it's super useful!

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:50 pm

Maybe i'm having way too much fun with this thread, but I was eating breakfast this morning and suddenly this idea came into my mind.

I laid it out and Modulargrid and realized it would cost less than $1700 (including the happy ending kit), have minimal power requirements, and provide hours upon hours of glitchy goodness. This would be a great rack for someone getting into glitch music. :tu:
I am member #22,363

grep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grep » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:46 pm

I really like this 84HP all Mutable system as well.
I think many people getting into eurorack already have synths in one form or another and this setup would play well with gear such as Micro/Minibrute or Doepfer Dark Energy/Time.

Placid Mouse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Placid Mouse » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Great idea for a post dude.

I've not been wiggling for that long, about two years now, I kind of knew what I wanted my eurorack to do since the beginning and that was to be an analog synth that I could control from my DAW.

Obviously people would recommend getting something like a microbrute or dark energy for that but the whole modular thing appealed to me a lot more. Since then, the function of my modular has inevitably grown beyond the humble beginnings but all of the modules in the rack below are still currently in my gigging 6u.

Yarns - Easily hook up a sequencer you're used to
Buff Mult - Not really needed in such a small system but it's 3hp and so is the malekko mixer, therefore keeping my ocd in check!
STO - Nice simple oscillator
Dixie - 2 oscillators are better than one
Ripples - Great sounding smooth filter
uVCA - :vcas:
Peaks - I mainly use mine for envelopes at the moment but has lots of other tricks up it sleeve
Maths - Pretty standard choice so not for the modular hipster but there's a reason so many people own one. Mainly use it for Lfo's or if I want to utilise Peaks for something else it can easily take over envelope duties.
Disting - So many cool tricks in this thing, makes the system more flexible.
Mix 4 - a few sound sources need to go somewhere!
uJack - Knowing that you wont be melting anything with the modular heat is always reassuring :banana:

CopperHydra
Common Wiggler

Black Magic

Post by CopperHydra » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:48 am

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before." -poe

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you

The blackest rack I could assemble on modular grid. The concept behind it's functions are to provide the more common synth voice possibilities from modules that have features to grow into all while providing immediate expression and tactile familiarity with the joystick. Fun to look at too.

Modules from left to right:

Make Noise Wogglebug - What's a better module to empathize with at the start of your modular addition than "Source of Uncertainty"??

In the wake of Black Friday just in time for Christmas it's:

Ornaments & Crimes: Use this to quantize random voltages from the Wogglebug or do loads of other stuff all on its own. If you can't build or find one this one should probably be swapped out for a smaller module but I put it in here anyways cus it's black, same with the:

Roland 512 Dual VCO - If you dare to break the color scheme, put in a smaller cheaper vco and maybe add an ADSR module or a bunch of tiny VCOs and sum them with the

Malekko Unity Mixer - bringing electrons of different voltages together for :75:
Route the output of the mix into the

STG Mankato Filter - because it's like a box of chocolates.

RYO 3x VCA - probably still not enough vcas

Disting mkiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii - because each i represents a mode. Try to count them all. If batman needed a utility belt, so do you. This module is a swiss army knife and if all the modules here were knobless and pale it'd look kinda like swiss cheese. Layer some of the (quality pun) effects with your bread and butter modules to the left or record CV's from the

Befaco Joystick - are you better at playing video games than you are at making music? Do you keep promising yourself to learn those cello suites so you can become a "better musician"? Well now you can burn your sheet music and leave your wife because this joystick will never leave your furry palms! So drop that cello, Chewbacca, and make all your EDM Dreams come true.
:wookie:
Last edited by CopperHydra on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:20 pm

robvec
Common Wiggler

Post by robvec » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:03 pm

This little Doepfer set up would be pretty cheap and a whole lot of fun. For the more experimental beginner perhaps

Return to “Eurorack Modules”