How much would you pay for a Make Noise CV Bus?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

How much would you pay for a standalone Make Noise CV Bus

Poll ended at Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:22 pm

$100-$150
32%
$150-$200
24%
$200-$300
20%
$200-$300
20%
$300+
5%

Total votes: 76

CaptainKlark
Common Wiggler

How much would you pay for a Make Noise CV Bus?

Post by CaptainKlark » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:22 pm

*Disclaimer, I don't work for Make Noise, just collecting some data for kicks.

The Make Noise CV Bus has always been a cool idea to me, but since it's only available with their systems, I was curious as to whether people were interested in a standalone.

Feel free to discuss in the comments below.
:tu:

Edit: Forgot a word in the title :doh:
Last edited by CaptainKlark on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

FrankMurder
Wiggling with Experience

Post by FrankMurder » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:27 pm

I contacted them a while back when I was starting and they seemed fine with selling me just the cv bus... I don't remember the quoted price but they did not seem to have a strict no policy to selling the bus individually.

CaptainKlark
Common Wiggler

Post by CaptainKlark » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:34 pm

FrankMurder wrote:I contacted them a while back when I was starting and they seemed fine with selling me just the cv bus... I don't remember the quoted price but they did not seem to have a strict no policy to selling the bus individually.
Interesting. The modgrid page says it's not available individually, but who knows when it was last updated.

Maybe they just handle it on a case by case basis if you ask.

Padrat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Padrat » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:22 pm

I emailed and asked this past spring and the answer was a definite "no, not at this time".

Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Infinity Curve » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:25 pm

It's a big multiple with an audio interface built in. You could get the same functionality out of 1u tiles in less space :despair:

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

Post by whitewulfe » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:28 pm

Aren't they actually buffered multiples, with indications of whether or not it's an inverted signal?

imxtristan
Common Wiggler

Post by imxtristan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:50 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:It's a big multiple with an audio interface built in. You could get the same functionality out of 1u tiles in less space :despair:
But it's about how big it is. It's a bus. Mults dont spread out like this. It's about interface.

cthonist
Common Wiggler

Post by cthonist » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:08 pm

I recently traded mine for a used Intellijel Quadra. So that's on the higher end of the poll results, but there's an opportunity cost in finding one outside of the Make Noise 7U case, which wouldn't be an issue if MN sold them on their own (which is I think what the poll results speak to)

Also I will say- the CV bus is super useful since it does span most of the length, and the bipolar, color-coded indicators make it easy to see what's multed to what, as well as being a poor man's oscilloscope since they indicate polarity and amplitude pretty well for CV & low audio rate.
The external in clips very nicely, so I usually used it as a distortion.

Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Infinity Curve » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:11 pm

How many people do you think would actually buy this to fill 104 hp of 1u space without a shared system? 104 hp for what is essentially 4 buffered mults and an in and out audio interface? Seems wasteful to me.

Just my opinion. It is cool for what it is though

cthonist
Common Wiggler

Post by cthonist » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:14 pm

Padrat wrote:I emailed and asked this past spring and the answer was a definite "no, not at this time".
There was a pretty long lead time on the 7U cases when I got one last year, so they probably don't have reason to make tons of extra busses ahead of time.

CaptainKlark
Common Wiggler

Post by CaptainKlark » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:22 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:How many people do you think would actually buy this to fill 104 hp of 1u space without a shared system? 104 hp for what is essentially 4 buffered mults and an in and out audio interface? Seems wasteful to me.

The way I see it, it's a bit of a trade off. I requires 17% more space than a traditional 6u, but it has the potential to cut down cable clutter on more complex patches. Plus you are covered for at least 4x4 buffered mults which could be used for more modules in the normal 3u parts of your system.

kipervarg
Common Wiggler

Post by kipervarg » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:26 pm

cthonist wrote:
Padrat wrote:I emailed and asked this past spring and the answer was a definite "no, not at this time".
There was a pretty long lead time on the 7U cases when I got one last year, so they probably don't have reason to make tons of extra busses ahead of time.
I purchased one of the 7U cases w/CV bus this last year. It was about a 3-4 month wait. No regrets, case is light and CV bus is very useful to me. I paid roughly ~200 above what an Elite 208 would cost normally.

StanleyHiller
Common Wiggler

Post by StanleyHiller » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:55 am

I must have lucked out and caught them at the right time cause they sold one directly to me for 200+ shipping

It's been a really helpful learning tool for me this first year in eurorack. The polarity LED indicators, the stereo out and the fact the i can keep track of mults quickly and easily have been cool. With more cases adding 1u rows I do think they should consider running a few extras when they spec cases, it probably wouldn't be a huge money maker, but it could definitely come in handy for lots of beginnerish folks. I built my case around it, so it never seemed like a waste of space.

Also it just looks cool so there's that too.

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:19 am

CaptainKlark wrote:
Infinity Curve wrote:How many people do you think would actually buy this to fill 104 hp of 1u space without a shared system? 104 hp for what is essentially 4 buffered mults and an in and out audio interface? Seems wasteful to me.

The way I see it, it's a bit of a trade off. I requires 17% more space than a traditional 6u, but it has the potential to cut down cable clutter on more complex patches. Plus you are covered for at least 4x4 buffered mults which could be used for more modules in the normal 3u parts of your system.
This!

But I REALLY wish the 2ch inputs had two pan pots so you could make a stereo mix from 2 mono inputs.

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:12 am

whitewulfe wrote:Aren't they actually buffered multiples, with indications of whether or not it's an inverted signal?
Sure or just assuming? There is no explicit information on the MN homepage, unfortunately.

I think they are passive mults with a buffered LED circuit. MN philosophy is that you do not need buffered mults because their outputs are properly designed/buffered.

From their homepage (about the Mult module, not cv bus): "The Multiple is passive, because the Make Noise system does not require Buffered Multiples since all critical control signals are already buffered in such a way as to provide a large fan-out capability."

Would be surprising if they contradict themselves and use a buffered circuit in the cv bus (the leds are buffered but you can do this independently).

Advantage is that you use any jack as the input jack. There is no distinction. Quite convenient.

But then the price should reflect this: 5 passive mults, a basic output circuit and an even more basic input circuit [$200 seems reasonable, given that it is a quite unique design].

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:26 am

You need to specify the currency. Presumably that is AUD? :hihi:

You need an option for 'zero - I don't see the point'. Or at least $0-100.

CaptainKlark
Common Wiggler

Post by CaptainKlark » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:12 am

Jumbuktu wrote:You need to specify the currency. Presumably that is AUD? :hihi:

You need an option for 'zero - I don't see the point'. Or at least $0-100.
Fair point on both counts. Unfortunately I can't edit the poll as far as I can tell.

StanleyHiller
Common Wiggler

Post by StanleyHiller » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:00 pm

jimmie wrote:
CaptainKlark wrote:

This!

But I REALLY wish the 2ch inputs had two pan pots so you could make a stereo mix from 2 mono inputs.
Yeah, agreed, however this limitation actually inspired me to get the Azimuth II which has already proven to be pretty indispensable to me for CV controlled panning and accessible stereo final gain stage controls (as well as 2 additional vca's). Those new Qu-Bit and WMD mixers look cool for this as well.

memes_33
Ultra Wiggler

Post by memes_33 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:03 pm

i didn't really understand what the fuss was about until i got an easel. one of the things that (IMO) make the 208 so useful is having the various CV modulator outputs adjacent to the CV inputs. once i realized how powerful that immediacy/adjacency is, i "got" the CV bus.

(edit)i'm planning on building my own with 1u tiles and some wiring/electronics in the back for mixing/multing and some attenuverters thrown in for good measure; something like this:

spudboyblues
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spudboyblues » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:43 pm

kipervarg wrote:
cthonist wrote:
I purchased one of the 7U cases w/CV bus this last year. It was about a 3-4 month wait. No regrets, case is light and CV bus is very useful to me. I paid roughly ~200 above what an Elite 208 would cost normally.
Me too. No regrets.

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:55 pm

I would buy one for sure. I think it's stupid they don't sell it seperately

TommyRaddcliff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TommyRaddcliff » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:39 pm

i would buy one in a HEARTBEAT

sherwood
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sherwood » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:42 pm

It's not buffered.

dreamdreamdream
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dreamdreamdream » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:30 am

This is funny timing because I just spent the last 30 minutes staring at a make noise system with cv bus and wondering why nobody sells one and coming up with a bunch of ideas for how I'd handle bussing if I had my own closed system, which led me to deciding that I actually want to build my own 7u diy system. I'd use existing modules, but tweak them to enable them to do the stuff I wish everybody else was doing.

My idea was to give every module a normalled output and a 3 way switch that changes the output from being normalled to bus 1, bus 2, or off(I know you could just plug a cord in, but might as well). I think the whole idea of busses and normalling has been severely underlooked in modular, and I think it's one of the places where systems could really shine, but they haven't taken advantage of it to nearly the extent that they could.

I think it's like someone else said in this thread about the easel, little things like the placement of inputs and outputs can actually have a huge effect on how you patch things and I'd also add that they make it much easier to see what's actually going on.

Just like you can look at two designs for a front panel, and even though they have the exact same capabilities, one can be a jumbled mess with a bunch of knobs that just mush together and have no sort of delineation, and the other can be broken up into functions and chunks and even though they're the same on paper, the interface is so different that it's going to have a huge effect on how you use them.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:44 am

They are easy to make. I added one to the right side of my portable. That way I could keep my 1U tile rows too!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”