Warps Parasite v1.01: an alternative firmware for MI Warps

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:01 am

Thanks to this thread my Warps arrived two day ago, and two hours ago I installed Parasites...so many options :nuke:

ambientnoise
Common Wiggler

Post by ambientnoise » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:15 pm

About to get a Warps.. I’m most likely to install the parasites firmware, but if I don’t like it is it possible to uninstall it back to its stock algorithms? Same with Braids?

void23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by void23 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:54 pm

ambientnoise wrote:About to get a Warps.. I’m most likely to install the parasites firmware, but if I don’t like it is it possible to uninstall it back to its stock algorithms? Same with Braids?
Yes. Elaborating on Parasites also, the firmware adds mode selection (via keypress combo) to Warps. The last mode is stock Warps and, save for the key press combo, works exactly the same way as the standard firmware works.

ambientnoise
Common Wiggler

Post by ambientnoise » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:30 pm

void23 wrote:
ambientnoise wrote:About to get a Warps.. I’m most likely to install the parasites firmware, but if I don’t like it is it possible to uninstall it back to its stock algorithms? Same with Braids?
Yes. Elaborating on Parasites also, the firmware adds mode selection (via keypress combo) to Warps. The last mode is stock Warps and, save for the key press combo, works exactly the same way as the standard firmware works.
Awesome, so I can still switch to stock modes even when parasites installed? All these features sound great!

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:25 pm

ambientnoise wrote:Awesome, so I can still switch to stock modes even when parasites installed? All these features sound great!
Yep, I mostly use the stock modes with Parasite but it's nice to have those to switch to sometimes.

ambientnoise
Common Wiggler

Post by ambientnoise » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:56 am

Anyone know how would I go about installing the Warps parasites firmware?

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:06 am

Firmware update procedure is in the manual.

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:54 am

brandonlogic wrote:[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/296887098" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Dude... NICE! Great sounds there. This thread (I read all 14 pages :lol:) is really making me want to get Parasites.

mqtthiqs wrote:I dropped this project years ago now, and nobody has taken over yet.
That's too bad, though I know we all thank you for all your effort and generosity thus far. Out of curiosity, what projects are you working on now?

millie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by millie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:28 am

How would I upload Matthias' Warps Parasite Firmware using the vagrant environment and jtag adaptor? Can someone please share their technical knowledge about how to build the firmware - would I simply copy/paste Matthias' Github Warps folder into the mutable-dev-environment folder and then build both the bootloader and the code? I tried it (renamed the original warps folder & the one in the build folder) - but it didn't work. Any ideas how to do it?

I tried to reduce the amplitude of the wav-file, tried it mono/stereo but I can't get the audio option to work.
Many thanks

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:10 pm

millie wrote: I tried to reduce the amplitude of the wav-file, tried it mono/stereo but I can't get the audio option to work.
Many thanks
To answer your question you can just do a git clone of Matthias's repo as a separate directory and then build everything from there. Or add his repo as an additional git remote and then fetch the branch, but just making a separate directory would work fine and be simpler.

But it's probably easier to get WAV firmware working. It can be flaky, but keep trying. Try another device? some laptops have like, EQ or stereoization processing enabled by default which could be mucking with it. Don't reduce the volume, it should be hot. Try your phone. Try another cable. Etc.

millie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by millie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:51 pm

th0mas wrote: you can just do a git clone of Matthias's repo as a separate directory and then build everything from there.
okay thanks - so just another folder next to the mutable-dev-environment one? or inside the mutable-dev-environment one?
I tried both but get this error when trying to run the git submodule init && git submodule update inside the parasites folder:
git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
I have the feeling that I'm doing something completely wrong here...
for now I will uninstall vagrant and virtualbox

I tried the wav file with computer and an mp3 player, I also routed it through my mixer - no luck with it...

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:14 pm

I just tried it, it was a bit misleading but here's a basic guide. the stmlib reference is a git@ URL which will only work if the your SSH key is signed into github, so we'll checkout stmlib by hand from the https link

vagrant ssh
cd /vagrant
git clone https://github.com/mqtthiqs/parasites.git
cd parasites
git clone https://github.com/mqtthiqs/stmlib.git
git submodule init; git submodule update
make -f warps/makefile clean all

edit: you will still have to upload it, I forget how to do that offhand

millie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by millie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:28 pm

th0mas wrote: vagrant ssh
cd /vagrant
git clone https://github.com/mqtthiqs/parasites.git
cd parasites
git clone https://github.com/mqtthiqs/stmlib.git
git submodule init; git submodule update
cool! thanks!! your "how to" brings me a little further - I did it exactly your way - now I'm getting the following error message when trying to upload the firmware:
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant/parasites$ make -f warps/makefile clean all
make: Warning: File `stmlib/makefile.inc' has modification time 3.8e+02 s in the future
/usr/local/arm-4.8.3/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc -c -x assembler-with-cpp -MM -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mthumb -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -mthumb-interwork -funroll-loops stmlib/third_party/STM/CMSIS/CM3_f4xx/startup/gcc/startup_stm32f4xx.s -MF build/warps/startup_stm32f4xx.d -MT build/warps/startup_stm32f4xx.o
<built-in>:0:0: fatal error: opening dependency file build/warps/startup_stm32f4xx.d: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

millie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by millie » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:09 am

going back to the audio upload - does the knob position matter when uploading firmware on warps?

regarding vagrant - do you mean that I need to have vagrant up in the mutable-dev-environment and then do all of your commands in that folder? or do I not need the mutable-dev-environment folder at all?

millie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by millie » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:54 am

I did it the way you suggested, and when I want to upload the firmware with the stlink it asks me for the bootloader, but I can't create the bootloader in the parasites folder - any ideas why?

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:27 am

From the manual:
Unplug all CV inputs/outputs from the module. Connect the output of your audio interface/sound card to the Carrier audio input (5) input. Power on your modular system with the INT. OSC (C) push-button pressed. The INT. OSC LED will blink in orange.

Make sure that no additional sound (such as email notification sounds, background music etc.) from your computer will be played during the procedure. Make sure that your speakers/monitors are not connected to your audio interface - the noises emitted during the procedure are aggressive and can harm your hearing. On non-studio audio equipment (for example the line output from a desktop computer), you might have to turn up the gain to the maximum.

When you are all set, play the firmware update file into the module. While the module receives data, the color of the ALGORITHM knob will reflect signal level - green or yellow is fine, red is too high! You can use the Carrier amplitude (D) knob to adjust the input gain.

In case the signal level is too weak, the LEDs will blink in red. Press the INT. OSC button and retry with a correct gain. If this does not help, please retry the procedure from another computer/audio interface, and make sure that no piece of equipment (equalizer, FX processor) is inserted in the signal chain.
If you already have the module working you don't need to ref lash the bootloader it doesn't change between alt firmwares.

millie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by millie » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:23 pm

th0mas wrote:If you already have the module working you don't need to ref lash the bootloader it doesn't change between alt firmwares.
make: *** No rule to make target `build/warps_bootloader/warps_bootloader.hex',needed by `build/warps/warps_bootloader_combo.bin'. Stop.
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant/parasites$

when I want to upload the firmware with the stlink plugged in it goes through the compilation process again and gives me above alert.
just to doublecheck, if this is the command order:

cd mutable-dev-environment
vagrant up
vagrant ssh
cd /vagrant
cd parasites
export PGM_INTERFACE=stlink-v2
export PGM_INTERFACE_TYPE=hla
make -f warps/makefile upload_combo_jtag

thanks

millie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by millie » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:18 pm

another thought - I accidentally used virtualbox 6.x when uploading the original warps firmware, I'm wondering if maybe the bootloader is incomplete or something so that it doesn't allow for wav file updates? can i erase the bootloader on warps? and then put some fresh complete code onto it again this time created with virtualbox 5.x - maybe then the audio upload will work?

henrry
Common Wiggler

Twists prasite

Post by henrry » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:21 am

Hello.

Did anybody try to install parasite on Twists?

I just built two units and can't load parasites firmware to them.
When I turn on the module in boot mode and feed it with the .wav file it looks like it gets no signal at all since the Algrorithm firmware doesn't react. I tried different ways to apply gain to the volume but with no result...
Otherwise my builds seem to work ok.
Do you have any suggestion?

Or should I just use the mqtthiqs/parasites repository on github and flash my units using the code quoted above?

(By the way millie are you trying to load parasites in a Twists module?)
Cheers

millie
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Twists prasite

Post by millie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:34 pm

henrry wrote: Did anybody try to install parasite on Twists?
Or should I just use the mqtthiqs/parasites repository on github and flash my units using the code quoted above?
are you using a stereo or mono mini jack cable?
Pls let me know more how you get on with flashing the code using the github repo. For my mutated warps I failed to create a bootloader inside the parasites build folder. Any idea why?

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:16 pm

millie wrote:
henrry wrote: Did anybody try to install parasite on Twists?
are you using a stereo or mono mini jack cable?
Pls let me know more how you get on with flashing the code using the github repo. For my mutated warps I failed to create a bootloader inside the parasites build folder. Any idea why?
Hello. To load the firmware using a .wav file I tried the same method I used with Braids, uBraids, Clouds and uBursts: a stereo minijack connected to the computer that splits in two cables of mono minijacks. Tried to see if the firmware was flashing even with no Algo knob volume feedback setting different volumes of output (two attempts). Even tried to boost this signal using a preamp and connecting these two minijacks to unity mixer and using the sum. No feedback of the Algo knob.

To flash the firmware I use this protocol (just changed clouds to warps where needed in the code).

If you happen to flash various MI style units, after you once have turned off a virtual machine (VM) and turned off Terminal, You need to erase the mutable-dev-environment VM from the list of VM in the VirtualBox.app before turning on Terminal again and flashing new modules.

millie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by millie » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:44 pm

henrry wrote:To flash the firmware I use this protocol (just changed clouds to warps where needed in the code).
1) cd mutable-dev-environment
2) vagrant up
3) vagrant ssh
4) cd /vagrant
5) git clone https://github.com/forestcaver/parasites.git (Forest Caver added a normalisation probe to the original parasites code)
6) cd parasites
7) git clone https://github.com/mqtthiqs/stmlib.git
8) git clone https://github.com/pichenettes/stm-audio-bootloader.git
9) git submodule init && git submodule update
10) make -f warps/bootloader/makefile hex
11) make -f warps/makefile
12) export PGM_INTERFACE=stlink-v2 (in case that you are using a stlink/v2)
13) export PGM_INTERFACE_TYPE=hla (although Forest Caver wrote that it is refundant, but I don’t know why)
14) make -f warps/makefile upload_combo_jtag (in case that you are using a stlink/v2)
I was told this routine on PM forum for parasites flashing, but can't get it to work. Could you try it out from your end and let me know if it works?
I can't compile a bootloader inside the parasites build folder either (please see error below):
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2019-03-21-19:37)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
hla_jtag
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
trst_and_srst separate srst_gates_jtag trst_push_pull srst_open_drain connect_deassert_srst
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : clock speed 1800 kHz
Info : STLINK v2 JTAG v28 API v2 SWIM v7 VID 0x0483 PID 0x3748
Info : using stlink api v2
Info : Target voltage: 3.225841
Error: init mode failed (unable to connect to the target)
in procedure 'init' called at file "stmlib/programming/jtag/prelude_f4xx.cfg", line 23
in procedure 'ocd_bouncer'
make: *** [upload_combo_jtag] Error 1
henrry wrote: If you happen to flash various MI style units after you once have turned off a virtual machine (VM), You need to erase the mutable-dev-environment VM from the list of VM in the VirtualBox.app
thanks, I tried to delete all folders and ran both virtualbox and vagrant uninstall script but still get the following error in terminal:
Vagrant was unable to mount VirtualBox shared folders. This is usually
because the filesystem "vboxsf" is not available. This filesystem is
made available via the VirtualBox Guest Additions and kernel module.
Please verify that these guest additions are properly installed in the
guest. This is not a bug in Vagrant and is usually caused by a faulty
Vagrant box. For context, the command attempted was:
mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=1000 vagrant /vagrant
The error output from the command was:
/sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such device

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:51 pm

Gosh.
I'm not an expert programmer at all...

First things first: If your mutable-dev-environment VM and vagrant and dependencies are properly installed, (considering each time you enter a command from your quote 1 to 14 you allways should get a feedback from Terminal telling something is happening allright wich I think you understood otherwise I doubt you could have arrived to these quoted errors) you normally are stuck at step 10 or 11 in your process.

Because as you state it later these steps normally do compile the bootloader which should result in you beeing able to find two folders named warps and warps_bootloader in the folder named build (at least if you flash a standard firmware).
(By the way, have you tried to compile and flash the standard bootloader and firmware instead of parasites? Maybe it's easyer and if it doesn't work it could be easyer for thoses willing to help to trace where the problem comes from if, as I understood, this is a DIY project. If the standard firmware is flashed properly in your build and if your build is assembled correctly (which in my case happens only 1/4 at first try), then you'll be abe to use the .wav file firmware update method which is a much easyer process)

In the absence of such folders in the build directory there is no need to run line codes 12 to 14 from your quote because these are supposed to load the compiled firmware to Warps (which are not compiled in your case). The error quoted after :
May well just be due to this absence of those two folders mentioned above (warps and warps_bootloader), nameley the absence of a firmware and bootloader to flash the processor with.

Nevertheless it looks like your unit is properly power supplied. If you manage to compile a firmware and see the message
Error: init mode failed (unable to connect to the target)
this could mean a short somewhere in your build.

Regarding the last error message, this is what you get from Terminal after a new attempt while entering either vagrant up or vagrant ssh commands in Terminal?
If so I can only suggest to verifiy you did the install of the environement from the very begenning. The error
Seems to show you managed to install the environement right once, so you can do it twice! You really must be sure that you could follow this procedure carefully[/url]

As I said I'm really new to this and am not an expert at all.
I hope this helped.
When I find the time, I will try to flash one of my units with parasites as it looks like I can't use the carrier input for the .wav file...
Cheers.
And good luck!![/quote][/i]

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:03 pm

BTW the link to Virtual box 5.x is no longer up to date.
As far as I remember last time I had to reinstall the mutable instruments develpement environement I used this link to the older version of Virtual box and dependencies as I don't know if VirtualBox 6.0.4 works for those Mutable clones...
I hope you use a Mac. Because I have no clue whether this works or not on a PC...

millie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by millie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:44 pm

do your twists modules work fine with the default firmware? let me know if you need some measurements to compare it with your twists build. my diy warps is working fine as it should with default firmware. I suspect that the flashing routine is okay, only that possibly the audio upload feature is corrupted as the input jack for audio upload works fine when used for external oscillator input - what about yours?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”