Warps Parasite v1.01: an alternative firmware for MI Warps

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

millie
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Twists prasite

Post by millie » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:06 pm

henrry wrote:Hello.
Did anybody try to install parasite on Twists?
I think I've got it working now for the mutated warps!
steps 1-14 as in earlier post, BUT rename folder stm-audio-bootloader to stm_audio_bootloader before doing step 9, AND manually create a build folder and a warps_bootloader folder inside the parasites folder before compiling the bootloader
Henrry - I hope you get yours working, too!

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:20 am

Semi-off topic question, but how does Twists handle the glowing knob/mode indication? Is that function just totally lost in the Twists/6hp version of Warps?

Gohan2A
Common Wiggler

Post by Gohan2A » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:02 pm

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:42 pm

Gohan2A wrote:Twist knob
Damn, that's really cool! I didn't realize the Davies knob it comes with is transparent.

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:33 pm

Aaaand I bought Warps. :party:

Twist is cool but I decided to get the MI one. That big algo knob is just too cool and I'm excited to have my first official MI module. I've got Monsoon and nRings but it's time I gave some love to the real thing.

Huge thanks to MI, mqtthiqs and all the helpful people in this thread for making this module a must-have. :hail:

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:16 pm

millie wrote:
steps 1-14 as in earlier post, BUT rename folder stm-audio-bootloader to stm_audio_bootloader before doing step 9, AND manually create a build folder and a warps_bootloader folder inside the parasites folder before compiling the bootloader
Hello. Many thanks for your reply. I may use this procedure at some point.

But my actual concern is to know if the .wav file update procedure works or not on Twists.
As I did flash the standard firmware and get the module to work seemingly fine I'm confident I could load parasites using vagrant and so on.

The reason of my concern is that I'm just planing to sell one of my two units and I would like to tell the buyer if everything works normally or not. Just in case he or she would like to change the firmware by him/her-self.

I think I'm going to ask Altitude directly (but I'm really reluctant to do it thinking he might get hundreds of people mailing him due to unsucessfull builds and hoping for his valuable advices...)

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:36 pm

millie wrote:do your twists modules work fine with the default firmware? let me know if you need some measurements to compare it with your twists build. my diy warps is working fine as it should with default firmware. I suspect that the flashing routine is okay, only that possibly the audio upload feature is corrupted as the input jack for audio upload works fine when used for external oscillator input - what about yours?
Well, both of my Twists seem to work perfectly well with the standard firmware too. I just can't say it does 100% because I don't have any orignial Warps I did buy to compare.

At some point I though the Atmega might have been damaged. Because during the building process I placed a wrong IC which I then changed seeing the module didn't work normaly. Somebody suggested that I should test the module carefully to see I there was not a damage to the Atmega due to this previous IC missmatch.

So I then thought, that despite this seemingly normal functioning after IC replacement, there actually was a damage and that the non functioning of the .wav file update procedure was revealing this...

It looks like both of our units behave the same... how can the audio upload feature happen to be corrupted? What could be the cause as we are supposed to have build clones? At least your unit is more close to a clone than mine.

I'm really curious about this.

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:18 am

millie wrote:
Renamed the directory and did put warps_bootloader INSIDE build.

But I get this error:
-fno-rtti warps/bootloader/bootloader.cc -o build/warps_bootloader/bootloader.o
cc1plus: error: -Werror=misleading-indentation: no option -Wmisleading-indentation
make: *** [build/warps_bootloader/bootloader.o] Error 1
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant/parasites$

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:26 am

Retrying procedure gave also this message at step 9:
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant/parasites$ git submodule init && git submodule update
fatal: destination path 'stm_audio_bootloader' already exists and is not an empty directory.
Clone of 'https://github.com/pichenettes/stm-audio-bootloader.git' into submodule path 'stm_audio_bootloader' failed
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant/parasites$

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:53 am

Actually it looks like the change of directory name (delete of the content of stm_audio_bootloader and replacement by the content found in stmaudio-bootloader ), needs to be done AFTER step 9.

Maybe adding build and build>warps_bootloader folders need to be done befor.

Update done successfully.

I prefered this "DO EASY" approach than trying to change the Amega in order to see if I can use the .wav file update process.

Cheers.
and thanx for helping!!!
:hihi: :tu:

modmodmod
Learning to Wiggle

Hex of Warps’s parasites.

Post by modmodmod » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:08 am

Hello. Could anyone share Hex of Warps’s parasites? :help:

loorenz
Common Wiggler

Re: Hex of Warps’s parasites.

Post by loorenz » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:08 am

modmodmod wrote:Hello. Could anyone share Hex of Warps’s parasites? :help:
The firmware is a wave file, you can download it from here:
https://mqtthiqs.github.io/parasites/warps.html

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:17 am

If you build the hex it’s worth adding the code for the normalization probe calibration (which is missing in parasites) - I’ve submitted a pull request.

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:14 pm

@millie & henrry

HOT DAMN!! THANK YOU TWO!!!!! :hail: :hail:

I just got around to this point with Twists and I was stumped and then I mentioned that maybe I could figure out how to compile from Parasite repo...

I really didn't know where to begin with that...

Luckily, modmodmod posted asking for a hex file... and I saw this thread...

It did take a few minutes jumping around the different posts on these last two pages but I figured it out and now have Two Twists with Parasites!!

WOOT! :banana: :bananaguitar:

:tu: :tu:

So maybe I'll try to make the full run down of how I got it to work...
I had to go around and try different things with the file structure so this might not be totally correct but... I'll give it a try...

1) cd mutable-dev-environment
2) vagrant up
3) vagrant ssh
4) cd /vagrant
5) git clone https://github.com/forestcaver/parasites.git (Forest Caver added a normalisation probe to the original parasites code)
6) cd parasites
7) git clone https://github.com/mqtthiqs/stmlib.git
8) git clone https://github.com/pichenettes/stm-audio-bootloader.git
9)Copy contents of stm-audio-bootloader folder and paste them into stm_audio_bootloader folder. This will replace the contents of the stm_audio_bootloader folder.
10) git submodule init && git submodule update
11)Go into parasites folder and see if there is a folder labeled build, if not, then create one.
12)Go inside build folder. Create another folder and label the new folder as warps_bootloader
13) make -f warps/bootloader/makefile hex
14) make -f warps/makefile
15) export PGM_INTERFACE=stlink-v2 (in case that you are using a stlink/v2)
16) export PGM_INTERFACE_TYPE=hla (although Forest Caver wrote that it is refundant, but I don’t know why)
17) make -f warps/makefile upload_combo_jtag (in case that you are using a stlink/v2)

Is that pretty much correct?

also what does this command do? anyone? "git submodule init && git submodule update"

Just curious..

Thanks again for figuring this out!

I'm not sure how to get the .Hex file to modmodmod I guess it's just the files in the bootloader folder and the hex file in the warps folder that I just created? I could try and upload those I guess...?
My YouTuBe Page...
The patch you've created in your brain is more challenging to modify than the patch you have on your modular.

modmodmod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by modmodmod » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:38 pm

loorenz wrote:
The firmware is a wave file, you can download it from here:
https://mqtthiqs.github.io/parasites/warps.html
Thank you loorenz, forestcaver, JakoGreyshire :love:

Yes. I know that parasites are WAV. However, because it is easier for me to use Hex and ST-Link V2. So I thought that the pioneer of this way might have the Hex of Parasites :zombie:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”