O|D ER-301: Sound Computer (Available Now!)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:56 pm

I finally jumped on board with one of these and am curious to check out. Yeah I wish there was a manual too despite some of the nice videos already out there. I need SonicVoltage to do a YouTube review :hihi:

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:17 am

monads wrote:I finally jumped on board with one of these and am curious to check out. Yeah I wish there was a manual too despite some of the nice videos already out there. I need SonicVoltage to do a YouTube review :hihi:
The in progress "wiki" is better than most manuals:
http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:58 am

Thanks for the link! I'll start reading the info to familiarize myself with the module before it arrives.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:35 pm

I did receive mine. It's wonderful and incredibly frustrating at the same time. Ha it took me an hour to figure out how to load a sample (because I'm an idiot). I kept going to a submenu somehow. Anyways, as you use it the over all workflow/UI/organization becomes apparent and makes much more sense. Setting up basic things can be a bit tedious at first, but I imagine I'll make some templates and organize them so I can move much more quickly. I've only really toyed with sampling, as the subtractive synthesis side bores me a bit (though I may explore FM at some point). I find that this module gives me features I found sorely lacking the Assimil8or. But the Assimil8or is obviously much more immediate, and does excel at other things (aside from having more tracks, audio I/O). In the end I think they complement each other nicely. And as crazy as it sounds, I think my workflow will start with the 301. Prep files if necessary, sample them into the A8. Use the 301 for audio processing or more mangled samples/loops. Right now I have them in my Intellijel 7U and I'm committed to exhausting the possibilities with both of them and a few other modules. After a few hours with the 301 this is the best I could muster haha. It was pretty fun learning the ropes though, and I'm really excited to get to learn it's intricacies so I can really take off with it.

Instagram

m33pz0r
Learning to Wiggle

Post by m33pz0r » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:55 pm

Just curious because I happen to stumble across this thread, what all does this module do?

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:21 pm

m33pz0r wrote:Just curious because I happen to stumble across this thread, what all does this module do?
i can see your brand new to this forum.

to see what this module does, youtube search it, and watch some videos.
plenty there.

rennerom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rennerom » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:36 pm

I’ve had one for just a few weeks now, and I didn’t know what I was missing until I got it. To m33pz0r, as a sound computer, it does almost whatever you can image a sound computer would do. The OD forum, Neil and Joe’s YouTube vids, and the OD wiki would be good places to get details. Did you have any specific questions?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:31 pm

I've been using it as a sampler/looper/delay/granulator/complex oscillator/harmonic oscillator/filter/wavefolder/grunge effect/feedback controller so far. And I feel like I'm just scratching the surface.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Virusinstaller
Common Wiggler

Post by Virusinstaller » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:31 am

I just got one of these also and dying to just go bush with this for a week and dive in all day.

GhostlyMostly
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GhostlyMostly » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:02 am

So, I am not using my OT and have been eyeing one of these for over a year now...
What is the learning curve like? I watched several videos and not sure if I will enjoy this or just stare at it and be with more immeadiate samplers in my rack? People seem to love it, how long did it take you to wrap your head around it and use it until it’s a staple in your main diet of imodules used in all your patches? I am interested but only if I am really going to use it and exploit what it can do...it reminds me of the Octatrack of modules, sort of.
Everything in life is replaceable, except people.
Joined Aug 13 2011 as Indigo333

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:14 am

m33pz0r wrote:Just curious because I happen to stumble across this thread, what all does this module do?
take a look at the first post in this thread.

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:00 am

GhostlyMostly wrote:how long did it take you to wrap your head around it and use it until it’s a staple in your main diet of imodules used in all your patches?
It took me an afternoon to understand the concepts behind the design and to think about the problems I want to solve in the right way. It took me a lot longer to explore all the functions of all the modules. But I don't think that's necessary to be using it in all patches. The things I focused on at first were delays and samplers and I could immediately make good use of the module with that.

chapelier fou
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:13 am

GhostlyMostly wrote:So, I am not using my OT and have been eyeing one of these for over a year now...
What is the learning curve like? I watched several videos and not sure if I will enjoy this or just stare at it and be with more immeadiate samplers in my rack? People seem to love it, how long did it take you to wrap your head around it and use it until it’s a staple in your main diet of imodules used in all your patches? I am interested but only if I am really going to use it and exploit what it can do...it reminds me of the Octatrack of modules, sort of.
In my opinion, there's many many ways to be overwhelmed by this module EXCEPT if you :

- use it for simple duties. No shame about that.
- on the contrary, have plans for very specific patches that can be very complex. It can be really rewarding, but you'll need organization, paper and pen.

Virusinstaller
Common Wiggler

Post by Virusinstaller » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:28 am

I think you just need to take some time to learn it. sit down with it & watch the you tube videos and apply the concepts. After that, just practice a little. But it is most rewarding.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:24 am

I think if you're comfortable with a computer and you understand basic modular patching, it's not hard to pick up.

As with modular in general the more knowledge/experience you have of synthesis, the more you can do with it -- but also there's a community of people sharing what they've found to help you along the way.

Neil Parfitt's YouTube series on the module was most helpful -- the last 3 videos where he talks about firmware version 0.4 will introduce you to most of the navigation and routing you need to know, and some of the earlier videos share techniques for using sample buffers in clever ways.

Getting comfortable with basic use comes pretty quickly (just a few hours of playing with it, after those videos). And "basic" use covers a hell of a lot of ground...

For more complex patching -- especially if you want to create custom units or chains you can use again without specific control assignments -- you'll want a solid understanding of mixer channels and custom unit containers and when to use each, and how to route your signals around. That can be a bit of a puzzle at first but it starts to come naturally with a few hours of experience.

I've had mine about 3 weeks now and feel pretty comfortable with it, though there are still a couple of units that are a little more abstract that I don't really grasp.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Ypsi Kid
Common Wiggler

Post by Ypsi Kid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:47 am

I think the other thing to note is the wonderful UI. I was very hesitant to get one based on ready information and just the functionality. Hanging out in the forum, asking questions and watching the aforementioned videos helped alot, but once you understand the workflow, it just seems to click.

I'm not a jedi master with this thing at all, but I can get really fun, usable patches out it pretty quickly... and once you get something you like, you can save it!

I would highly recommend this module, it one that just keeps giving back. Then you stack the user community over top and it really is something.

Highly recommended from me as well and I feel like I've just scratched the surface! Now I want to leave work and go have a play - LOL.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 am

Yeah, the UI is pretty brilliant. It takes most of the pain out of what could have been menu diving hell, and once you get going you never have to refer to external documentation to find your way around in it.

GhostlyMostly
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GhostlyMostly » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Ypsi Kid wrote:I think the other thing to note is the wonderful UI. I was very hesitant to get one based on ready information and just the functionality. Hanging out in the forum, asking questions and watching the aforementioned videos helped alot, but once you understand the workflow, it just seems to click.

I'm not a jedi master with this thing at all, but I can get really fun, usable patches out it pretty quickly... and once you get something you like, you can save it!

I would highly recommend this module, it one that just keeps giving back. Then you stack the user community over top and it really is something.

Highly recommended from me as well and I feel like I've just scratched the surface! Now I want to leave work and go have a play - LOL.
Thanks for the helpful info and sharing your experience. I have a few projects that have built up and I don’t want this to be another octatrack. I can see so many ways to use it but needed the community on this one...
I will be ordering here in a few weeks. Cheers

GhostlyMostly
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GhostlyMostly » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:50 pm

starthief wrote:Yeah, the UI is pretty brilliant. It takes most of the pain out of what could have been menu diving hell, and once you get going you never have to refer to external documentation to find your way around in it.
This is everything I was hoping to hear but wasn’t sure of it being an UI that wasnt inviting and somewhat a bit of a headache when wiggling. I really appreciate this and you... :party:

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 pm

GhostlyMostly
I've had mine for a few weeks... I watched from afar and always convinced myself to not order one for the same concerns you have. Having one now, I have just scratched the tip of the iceberg. But I will tell you the first day I had it I wanted to toss it out the window. It's not necessarily intuitive right off the bat. But as you use, you realize there's an underlying logic and reasoning to it, and the UI just clicks. Within a couple of hours of use I'm flying around it and doing just what I need to. Now the challenge is really grasping, exploring and exploiting everything this is capable of, both as a sound generator and sound manipulator. The wiki posted above has been extremely helpful. I'm not sure if I'll always reach for this module, but I think it will cover a lot of potential gaps and allow me to use my system as a closed system very easily. I also think it will shine in small performance cases. It is not immediate out of the box as a sampler as something like the Assimilator as the inputs are more or less freely assignable and there are so many possibilities to how you would build a sampler chain. But you can build up a collection of different chains very quickly, so it's pretty damn close in terms of immediacy once you've put the basic work in.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Sinamsis wrote:GhostlyMostly
I've had mine for a few weeks... I watched from afar and always convinced myself to not order one for the same concerns you have......But I will tell you the first day I had it I wanted to toss it out the window. It's not necessarily intuitive right off the bat.....
Yup, this is exactly why I waited so long to order. Looks complicated or frustrating, menu diving, not sure on modular integration/usage, etc. But I decided to give a go at this juncture from more user feedback/rewatching vids.

hyena
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hyena » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:58 am

3 points:
-the UI is one of the best i've seen in my tech gear life. everything is logically laid out and easy to reach. when you build very complex patches now you have SCOPE mode that not only gives you a bird's eye view of the patch but let you navigate it with ease and reach even the more distant and buried down levels of it.
you just have to use it to grasp it, even the best videos dont really translate the awesomeness of it.

-the sound. i had an octatrack and while really enjoying it for the creative power it gave me i really never liked how it sounded,especially when you started mixing plenty of tracks.
the 301 on the other hand sounds perfect, the sum it does always comes out clean and full, the internal limiter itself is really great too.

-total freedom. i can patch stuff nearly complex as in max\msp, feedback routing, splitting of signals, complex mixing of modulations, you name it.
i also use it while playing in the band (trio: drums, guitar, modular) and resample\loop\mangle drums and guitar in real time, pitch shift, granulate...whatever.

you have to consider IF you want to spend some time on it. it can be instant gratification just with loopers\samplers and some fx BUT you'd miss out all the other awesomeness. true modular inside the modular. now it's more than a year it's with me and the love never decreased.

GhostlyMostly
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GhostlyMostly » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:46 pm

Sinamsis wrote:GhostlyMostly
I've had mine for a few weeks... I watched from afar and always convinced myself to not order one for the same concerns you have. Having one now, I have just scratched the tip of the iceberg. But I will tell you the first day I had it I wanted to toss it out the window. It's not necessarily intuitive right off the bat. But as you use, you realize there's an underlying logic and reasoning to it, and the UI just clicks. Within a couple of hours of use I'm flying around it and doing just what I need to. Now the challenge is really grasping, exploring and exploiting everything this is capable of, both as a sound generator and sound manipulator. The wiki posted above has been extremely helpful. I'm not sure if I'll always reach for this module, but I think it will cover a lot of potential gaps and allow me to use my system as a closed system very easily. I also think it will shine in small performance cases. It is not immediate out of the box as a sampler as something like the Assimilator as the inputs are more or less freely assignable and there are so many possibilities to how you would build a sampler chain. But you can build up a collection of different chains very quickly, so it's pretty damn close in terms of immediacy once you've put the basic work in.
So you work for Orthagonal Devices? :hihi: :lol:
Yes, to create a closed system and also for performances, to record the rest of my modular and mangle and such. I am really excited about this, thanks for the help :sb:

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:22 pm

Hypothetical situation.. Full color OLED on a MK2 of ER-301? yes please!

I like the interface, it's workflow is comparable to the 101. 101 is faster though due to simplicity.

Constant updates on firmware a major plus.

I think having a lot of patience with this module helps greatly.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:39 pm

GhostlyMostly
Ha, far from it, but a recent convert. I won't tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread. But it is a very capable device, and you can tell a lot of care and thought has gone into creating it. I have to be in the right mindset to use it, and there are times when I look at it, and I just go work with something else haha. Of course there are features I could wish for. More dedicated audio outs (but that's what I would use the Assimil8or for). MIDI input (it seems there might be something in the works on the forum). Anyways, it's not a small investment, but I think it will be worth it!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”