O|D ER-301: Sound Computer (Available Now!)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

franman69
Veteran Wiggler

Post by franman69 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:56 pm

nice work Allinaire. Like your tracks on soundcloud as well...

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:15 am

Finally ordered one of these beauties.

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:05 am

You're gonna love it! Congrats!

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:58 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:Finally ordered one of these beauties.
Cool--ridiculously useful module. Your life will be a lot easier if you have some good controllers to send offsets and gates into the ER-301. I've been using the 16n faderbank, and it opens up the power in the 301.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:34 am

Same here. Mudloggers custom units tipped me the right way. :mrgreen:

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:24 am

Hovercraft wrote:
Cool--ridiculously useful module. Your life will be a lot easier if you have some good controllers to send offsets and gates into the ER-301. I've been using the 16n faderbank, and it opens up the power in the 301.
I have three quadratt in my 4u case that I can use, but (one) of the idea of gettting the 301 is to just concentrate on the 12u so I can built a more seamless live set with some more options and a couple safety nets; so I might grab the NE Lapsus Os which looks quite useful for offsets. Gatew are taken care of by the Erica Drum Seq mainly. I'll see in time if I feel like a need a more manual gate source. I don't want to change too much before i arrives just so I can see what it needs and what it easily replaces.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote: I have three quadratt in my 4u case that I can use, but (one) of the idea of gettting the 301 is to just concentrate on the 12u so I can built a more seamless live set with some more options and a couple safety nets; so I might grab the NE Lapsus Os which looks quite useful for offsets. Gatew are taken care of by the Erica Drum Seq mainly. I'll see in time if I feel like a need a more manual gate source. I don't want to change too much before i arrives just so I can see what it needs and what it easily replaces.
Sounds like a good plan--Lapsus Os looks small and useful. I have an Addac 304 for manual gates

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:48 am

Boy, oh, boy, the potential of this thing! I've only had it for a couple of days, but have spent quite a few hours with it already. There's a lot to wrap the head around, but it's also somehow surprisingly intuitive. I've already made a few insanely weird patches with it. Love the new hold-mode (where you can assign various parameters and morph between them). Would also recommend everyone to read around on the ER-301 forum - lots of very useful information on there.

Oh, well, I'm back off to making my internal modulation rack, by stacking mixers inside custom units inside custom units ... haha. :lol:

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:26 am

Shipment notification :hyper:

Yunsnare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yunsnare » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:51 am

Hello here's a track made with one sample processed into ER-301 in differents ways !

[video][/video]

glennfin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by glennfin » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:09 pm

thetwlo wrote:
The in progress "wiki" is better than most manuals:
http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301
Couldn't disagree more.. sorry but a manual for this is sorely needed. Wiki and videos are good but in no way do they take the place of a manual. I've had my 301 for a while now but just started diving into it. Just a quick start guide for beginners would be welcome. A simple explanation for things like, containers, bands, mixers, how to correctly place files and folders on the sd card, how to use the looper,.. Yes i know you can watch a video and probably fast forward and rewind to maybe find exactly what you're looking for but NOTHING replaces an indexed manual.... (with patching examples no less!) I know I'll get some flames as a result of this post but come on folks, this is maybe the most complex and powerful module available for euro. It needs to have a manual!

Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:40 pm

I have to agree here. Guys like Niel Parfitt and other community members are a godsend, but for instances where I'd need to look up specifics I'd love a manual.

I could only assume that OD don't wanna make a manual since he feels its a work-in-progress, but a manual with core principles would still be great to have.

Still, the product and customer support is great, so it's hard to complain!

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:13 pm

yeah, a "work in progress" for the last 3 years...

Boofin Moonrocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Boofin Moonrocks » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:48 pm

bc3 wrote:yeah, a "work in progress" for the last 3 years...
Weird module to get snarky about. It's literally one guy who makes the ER-301, and he makes it abundantly clear on the order page that the module is a work in progress without a clear time frame for it's completion. Even then, it's already incredibly feature packed, and he still manages to make frequent updates and works with the community to address bugs and feature requests.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:20 pm

When I owned the ER-301, I can count on three fingers the number of times I had to go look something up on the wiki. Two of those times, it was the shortcut for taking a screenshot.

I watched Neil's videos to get to know how to navigate generally, and a couple of times gleaned helpful info from the forum that probably wouldn't have been included in a traditional manual anyway. Other than that, it was pretty intuitive to use. The complexity I encountered was in patching and synthesis methods rather than usage, and I brought that on myself ;)

I agree an official manual would have been nice to have, but the lack of one never really held me back.

All that said -- the above isn't referring to middle-layer LUA scripting. That was an area where I felt frustrated without proper documentation and quickly backed down from messing with it at all. I don't know if that situation has changed in recent months. But being unable to build my own middle-layer stuff never really held me back from making the most of the module.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

boom blip
Common Wiggler

Post by boom blip » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:09 pm

starthief wrote:When I owned the ER-301, I can count on three fingers the number of times I had to go look something up on the wiki. Two of those times, it was the shortcut for taking a screenshot.
Agreed, anyone who understands synthesis 101 should be able to mess with this without looking at a manual and get complex satisfying results, I played with it for days and days without referencing anything and it all seemed shockingly intuitive.

It seems completely understandable that for a product constantly in flux and with consistent updates that writing a manual would be tricky as hell considering how rapidly it changes, most of the time I just need to read the patch notes and then turn it on and try whatever features were added.

Granted I was replacing my Octatrack, in a way, with this, and that is an unintuitive mess even with the manual that I have struggled far harder to understand.

void23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by void23 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:07 pm

boom blip wrote:
starthief wrote:When I owned the ER-301, I can count on three fingers the number of times I had to go look something up on the wiki. Two of those times, it was the shortcut for taking a screenshot.
Agreed, anyone who understands synthesis 101 should be able to mess with this without looking at a manual and get complex satisfying results, I played with it for days and days without referencing anything and it all seemed shockingly intuitive.

It seems completely understandable that for a product constantly in flux and with consistent updates that writing a manual would be tricky as hell considering how rapidly it changes, most of the time I just need to read the patch notes and then turn it on and try whatever features were added.

Granted I was replacing my Octatrack, in a way, with this, and that is an unintuitive mess even with the manual that I have struggled far harder to understand.
Agreed, once you learn how to assign an input and how mixers work in the first 10 minutes, you've unlocked the core functionality.

mosorensen
Common Wiggler

Post by mosorensen » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:45 pm

Is there at least a list of the different keyboard shortcuts somewhere? I may be looking in the wrong place, but I haven't been able to find one on the wiki, and I think it would help a lot to get started.

It took me forever to figure out that "enter" shifts the display mode of the selected unit. And vertical and horizontal zoom when viewing a sample was also frustrating until I figured them out. The combos for "mute", "fine tune", and "super fine tune" are also not obvious.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised, if there are still keyboard shortcuts that I haven't discovered yet.

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:48 pm

mosorensen wrote:Is there at least a list of the different keyboard shortcuts somewhere? I may be looking in the wrong place, but I haven't been able to find one on the wiki, and I think it would help a lot to get started.

It took me forever to figure out that "enter" shifts the display mode of the selected unit. And vertical and horizontal zoom when viewing a sample was also frustrating until I figured them out. The combos for "mute", "fine tune", and "super fine tune" are also not obvious.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised, if there are still keyboard shortcuts that I haven't discovered yet.
I see all of your questions are answered here:

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index ... ront_Panel

Not a list though, probably because they are not really "shortcuts"?

:guinness:

2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:10 am

I think many here have no idea how much work a manual for something like the ER-301 actually is, especially if there is just one person who is already responsible for the development of the product in question to work on it.

Simple changes in the firmware could change entire sections of the manual. Something as small as the enter button being changed in the paradigm could cause entire sections to be rewritten.

Look at it like this: If a manual was available for the ER-301 instead of hearing the complaint for there not being a manual, we would instead be hearing about how the manual is incomplete or out of date.

Thus sometimes it is just best to remember you know how to read, and can use that fact to make informed decisions. Especially when those informed decisions can be based on such explicitly clear information from the manufacturer.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:34 am

To those that are calling for a manual, Orthogonal Devices has made it very clear from the outset that there would not be a manual until the beta is stabilized, and that anyone buying an ER-301 before that is established is effectively part of a beta testing community. And it's probably the best beta testing community I've ever seen, with incredible generosity from power testers and users.

The firmware is still at v0.4.26. v1.<some number> is the convention to indicate when the developer considers the project is stable.

So instead of complaining that there is a lack of a manual, maybe be grateful that you are in on the beginning of something that is cool. And it's not that difficult to use anyway.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:50 am

"maybe be grateful that you are in on the beginning of something that is cool"

I used to think this way 3 YEARS ago when I purchased the ER-301...

While Brian has been great all along, IMO because he is one man doing everything it has been 3 years and we are still not at a 1.0 firmware release.
The current processor is also 3 years old and can easily be maxed out with complex patches.

Hoping for a processor upgrade path as promised...

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:11 am

bc3 wrote:"maybe be grateful that you are in on the beginning of something that is cool"

I used to think this way 3 YEARS ago when I purchased the ER-301...

While Brian has been great all along, IMO because he is one man doing everything it has been 3 years and we are still not at a 1.0 firmware release.
The current processor is also 3 years old and can easily be maxed out with complex patches.

Hoping for a processor upgrade path as promised...
I think he said that it would happen only after the 1.0 firmware.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:47 am

bc3 wrote:The current processor is also 3 years old and can easily be maxed out with complex patches.
I think that's one of those situations where, with a 4x faster CPU, some people are just going to try to do 5x as much with it. Somebody's going to decide to try to recreate the Xaoc Odessa with 2560 sine oscillators in parallel, and reality is going to answer with "no you're not."

It's tempting to just keep trying to make it do more and more stuff, because of the copious I/O, 4 channels and so on... and to try to do it with the 96kHz firmware build. This is just what people do. :despair:

I personally never ran into a performance limit on mine -- but then I ran the 48kHz firmware and usually stuck to one or two channels, having it imitate one or two other modules. E.g. a TZFM complex oscillator with a wavefolder, or an 8-partial harmonic oscillator with phase modulation, or a granular psuedo-reverb/resonator/pitch shifter with compression/limiting in the loop to maintain infinite sustain without clipping.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

ianski
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ianski » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:38 am

First Post - Whoop! :party:

I really do love the 301, it's such a powerful module and is so versatile.
Yes it takes some getting used to but the UI design is very intuitive as many have said. When I first bought the module I was disappointed it had no manual but stuck with it and don't miss it that much.

I found it's essential to watch all the videos (at least once) on the module to get the best out of it, like a lot of complicated devices.

I'd definitely like to see the CPU upgrade as I am constantly running out of power even on 48K.
The main reason is that the usage goes up when the modules are actually doing something, for instance the manual grains can easily add 15~20% more CPU usage once you start slamming those grains around, adding sync to oscillators or fast modulators etc.
Also, if you want to use the 6 track recorder at the same time as a patch you better save some cycles or else you get a crackly recording.

I somehow think we won't see the upgrade for a very long time, if at all to be honest. 3 years in and v1.0 is still on a distant horizon. The regular updates are great though with cool features being added often.

This module requires a lot of commitment in terms of learning and in a financial sense, so it's no wonder why people want to get as much out of it as possible. But yeah, expectations of course have to be realistic.
Having said that though you can be creative in bypassing units to save power (wish they were CV'able though).

Return to “Eurorack Modules”